IGNORED

A different take on LJ

Robbored

At the end of the day you can't really escape two facts about Lee:

1) 3/4 of the way through the season he still doesn't know who his best players are and what their optimum positions are: most of the crowd can do that.

2) He's head coach, but the technical ability of most players seems to have gone backwards. We buy winners and turn them into losers. Some of that may be fear and lack of confidence,  much appears to be poor coaching. Bad habits are not being corrected. Again most people in the stands can see that. 

8 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

We are a Championship club with a brand new stadium and a multi-million pound budget.

We should not be the "somewhere" that a manger starts.  We want a manager who has proven himself elsewhere.

Alex Ferguson had a highly successful twelve year managerial career in Scotland prior to joining Man Utd so their Board could legitimately back him on the basis that his early bad run was a blip in an otherwise unbroken period of success.

In the case of a LJ you cannot regard this season as a blip because he has yet to be successful anywhere; it's just more of the same underperformance. 

Maybe the simplest answer is just that he's not very good.

Good shout, these constant comparisons to Alex Ferguson do my ******* bonce in!

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

At the end of the day you can't really escape two facts about Lee:

1) 3/4 of the way through the season he still doesn't know who his best players are and what their optimum positions are: most of the crowd can do that.

2) He's head coach, but the technical ability of most players seems to have gone backwards. We buy winners and turn them into losers. Some of that may be fear and lack of confidence,  much appears to be poor coaching. Bad habits are not being corrected. Again most people in the stands can see that. 

One thing the speaker did say that because of LJs relative youth that he might find it more diffuse to win the respect of the older players. 

I wonder if Eddie Howe had that particular problem?

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Heard an interesting view on LJ yesterday at Senior Reds.

The speaker was happy that SL had supported LJ recently after the calls for his sacking from some of the fans.

Why?

Apparently Junior is a terrific coach and was/is the target of other clubs before he joined City. 

The speaker went on to say that Junior is only 34 and very young to be in the position but used McInness as an example. When Mac joined City he was the best manager in Scotland but failed here at City. Mac returns to Scotland and has yet again become successful.

His point being that Junior will alomost certainly  become a successful manager and it would have been disappointing to dismiss him and he then goes elsewhere to become a success. He pointed out that LJ has been desperately unlucky. Losing only by one goal and that he'd had three letters of apology from the referees association regarding three errors that went against City, including Wilbrahams disallowed goal against Burton. He said some of lady luck had gone our way at Wigan.......karma in other words.

He added that because of his inexperience he's made formation and tactical errors along with selections but is learning on the job and will benefit from those experiences. LJs potential is recognised by SL.

All very interesting I thought and the pineapple tart and ice cream was gert lush!

Cool, so let's sack him now and hire him again in ten years when he's learnt his trade

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

One thing the speaker did say that because of LJs relative youth that he might find it more diffuse to win the respect of the older players. 

I don't think Lee's a motivator, Evil Twin.

That's why when things are motoring, it chugs along nicely, but when the going gets tough the confidence just evaporates from the team 

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I would think his friendship with SL would be more detrimental. The stigma of nepotism etc is harder to overcome if the players feel that he only got the job because of that.

2 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I would think his friendship with SL would be more detrimental. The stigma of nepotism etc is harder to overcome if the players feel that he only got the job because of that.

To be fair that is precisely why he got the job so the players would be a bit thick not to realise it.

5 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Sorry Edwin old chap but how do we know this is the case

I don't believe the rumours about the negatives and it certainly can't be his prior managerial record at Oldham and Barnsley so we're down to friendship.

The editor of his wiki page isn't a fan judging by the picture used :whistle:

"Would you look at the muck in here"

Lee_Johnson_27-08-2016_1.jpg

Heard an interesting view on LJ yesterday at Senior Reds.

The speaker was happy that SL had supported LJ recently after the calls for his sacking from some of the fans.

Why?

Apparently Junior is a terrific coach and was/is the target of other clubs before he joined City. 

The speaker went on to say that Junior is only 34 and very young to be in the position but used McInness as an example. When Mac joined City he was the best manager in Scotland but failed here at City. Mac returns to Scotland and has yet again become successful.

His point being that Junior will alomost certainly  become a successful manager and it would have been disappointing to dismiss him and he then goes elsewhere to become a success. He pointed out that LJ has been desperately unlucky. Losing only by one goal and that he'd had three letters of apology from the referees association regarding three errors that went against City, including Wilbrahams disallowed goal against Burton. He said some of lady luck had gone our way at Wigan.......karma in other words.

He added that because of his inexperience he's made formation and tactical errors along with selections but is learning on the job and will benefit from those experiences. LJs potential is recognised by SL.

All very interesting I thought and the pineapple tart and ice cream was gert lush!

Those 'three letters of apology' will come in handy when we go down.  Sounds mysteriously like an excuse for being shite.

Can we have letters of apology from LJ for continually crumbling and  throwing away (2 and 3 goal) winning positions?

Regardless of what SL or those at the Senior Reds 'see' in LJ there are many others who don't.  He's a buffoon stealing a living as a football manager at our expense IMO.  The sooner SL comes to his senses the better.

And finally, I'd suggest the Senior Reds stop smoking crack; it's affecting their senses too. 

54 minutes ago, Robbored said:

We don't know that do we?   

All managers start somewhere. Didn't Alex Ferguson nearly get sacked early on at Man Utd?  

It can be denied that Junior isn't currenty setting the football world alight like Eddie Howe has........but no-one can predict the future accurately.

Alex Ferguson had won major honours at Aberdeen, including a European trophy, remind me what a LJ has achieved.........

Thats like comparing Lionel Messi with Baz Savage!!

34 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The speaker is a very experienced journalist and knows City far better than most.....

His views deserved respect and you're calling them crap even though you weren't there........:facepalm:

I'm guessing Richard Latham, then, old chap. Someone very much "on message" with SL and his thinking.

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I think this is the key. It's what the players think of LJ that matters most. And is likely the root of the problem. At some level too many of them have their doubts about our "learning on the job" coach. The performances, never mind the results, suggest this. They are trying but something is missing.

I do agree we have suffered some rotten luck. But are we alone in this? And if not, have we had any more rotten luck than every other club, or half of them, or all but Wigan and Rotherham? 

3 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Alex Ferguson had won major honours at Aberdeen, including a European trophy, remind me what a LJ has achieved.........

He's had some pretty remarkable achievements.  He got Barnsley promoted without being in charge at the time.  He's also responsible for their current good season despite not being there.  He laid the foundations for that team don't you know? Someone else has just gone in and carried on the good work.

Other achievements: he's led Bristol City on their longest ever run of defeats.  He's taken proven championship players and turned them into mush.  He's taken us to the brink of relegation.  Divided the fan base.  I could go on. 

14 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Those 'three letters of apology' will come in handy when we go down.  Sounds mysteriously like an excuse for being shite.

Can we have letters of apology from LJ for continually crumbling and  throwing away (2 and 3 goal) winning positions?

Regardless of what SL or those at the Senior Reds 'see' in LJ there are many others who don't.  He's a buffoon stealing a living as a football manager at our expense IMO.  The sooner SL comes to his senses the better.

And finally, I'd suggest the Senior Reds stop smoking crack; it's affecting their senses too. 

I know a few Senior Reds, none of them see anything in LJ, and  he got the job due to his friendship with SL.

22 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

I'm not defending LJ, but why are you not demanding a letter of apology from the 11 playes on the pitch, as they were the ones that crumbled and threw away 3 and 2 goal leads?

We don't know that do we?   

All managers start somewhere. Didn't Alex Ferguson nearly get sacked early on at Man Utd?  

It can be denied that Junior isn't currenty setting the football world alight like Eddie Howe has........but no-one can predict the future accurately.

Yes Fergie nearly went but before he joined Manure, he'd already won a European Cup Winners Cup at Aberdeen. Hardly in the same league as Junior. Don't spout such drivel Robbored.

26 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

The point being that to have three (admitted) referring mistakes go against you is a reflection of the poor luck that City have had.

As you say those apologies will count for nothing if City go down.

Archived