IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

7 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The blue few fans I know continually wax lyrical about their 'amazing' away followings...yet I can stop them dead in their tracks and witness blank and disbelieving stares when I simply ask "when are you going to invade a home game, you just never sell out a tiny ground....?" It's quite incredible, it's as if time goes into slow motion as I watch them try to compute the logic...

Oh and we get bigger crowds at home and bigger away followings...why can't they just accept that?! And they are obsessed with the year 1982 - we've won more honours since 1982 than they've won in their entire history....

Yeah but it's 1982 remember? The year that the Bristol City who played for 4 years in the First Division (much to their enraged jealousy) died. 

Moving forward it was a totally new football club, Bristol City (1982) Ltd. Therefore the entire history and the 4 years of playing the country's finest teams (and beating some of them) could be blanked out as if it simply never happened and according to #Gaslogic that would put City 82 at the bottom and would elevate the Squatters to Bristol's Premier Football club.......but it never quite panned out for them. City 82 came back won promotion, beat Rovers even with students and week to week contract players, went to Wembley 5 times and won 3, and went on to spend more seasons in the 2nd tier, and were within 90 minutes of making it to the Premiership whilst the Rovers ship sprang holes and leaked all over the shop. Incidentally, Bristol City 1982 as a company name ceased on 20th December 1996, but the Sags continue to live in the past, which is hardly surprising really is it? Because let's face it......they have sweet FA to look forward to do they? :laughcont:

Yes, we are really bothered about 1982.....We cry and don't even want to talk about it mind......

IMG_3362.PNG

Edited by Cheesleysmate
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Yeah but it's 1982 remember? The year that the Bristol City who played for 4 years in the First Division (much to their enraged jealousy) died. 

Moving forward it was a totally new football club, Bristol City (1982) Ltd. Therefore the entire history and the 4 years of playing the country's finest teams (and beating some of them) could be blanked out as if it simply never happened and according to #Gaslogic that would put City 82 at the bottom and would elevate the Squatters to Bristol's Premier Football club.......but it never quite panned out for them. City 82 came back won promotion, beat Rovers even with students and week to week contract players, went to Wembley 5 times and won 3, and went on to spend more seasons in the 2nd tier, and were within 90 minutes of making it to the Premiership whilst the Rovers ship sprang holes and leaked all over the shop. Incidentally, Bristol City 1982 as a company name ceased on 20th December 1996, but the Sags continue to live in the past, which is hardly surprising really is it? Because let's face it......they have sweet FA to look forward to do they? :laughcont:

We have played for nine seasons in the top league. The other five are conveniently forgotten by horse punchers as it was before they first became a league club. By that twist of #gaslogic nothing before 2015 should count now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bianconeri said:

We have played for nine seasons in the top league. The other five are conveniently forgotten by horse punchers as it was before they first became a league club. By that twist of #gaslogic nothing before 2015 should count now.

76-80 really got to Sags. They turned up at Ashton Gate to watch us get beat and every so often couldn't wait to get the hell out of the away end and take a week off sick rather than have it rammed down their throats from work colleagues, Roger Malone, the Big Match, Grandstand, BBC and ITV sports news, the national news papers.....week in, week out they were very very tortured souls, everyone everywhere was a Ted and they became  completely engulfed with envy and more often than not the envy would turn to rage resulting in displays of mindless violence from angry Sags who needed an outlet for their pain.

Remember, they experienced a bit of momentum themselves in the early 70's. They won the massive Watney Cup albeit on the lottery of a penalty shootout, beat Brian Clough's Brighton 8-2. Won promotion to the 2nd tier with 'Smash and Grab' and were "coming for City".....but then City went one better and their achievements were completely forgotten about. They stagnated in Division 2 and then started to go backwards, giving up on the football and turning to mindless terrace violence instead, eclipsing their 8-2 defeat of Brighton with getting totally hammered 9-0 by Tottenham in a game which John Motson described Rovers as "a VERY POOR SIDE", whilst over at BS3 Bristol City were putting European Champions Liverpool to the sword. 

Bristol was totally RED in the late 1970's and those of us who lived it can remember it well. Sags were generally quiet, unless of course they were on the lookout for trouble being the family club that they are.

Rovers fans believed that Bristol City won promotion to Division One simply to get one over on Bristol Rovers FC, not for City's ambitions of progressing as a football club.

So for Sags 1982 was like 'retribution' for the inflicted suffering and pain that they perceived was bestowed upon by Bristol City. Unbelievable pea brain mentality, but true all the same.

The difference with Rovers in 2015 is that no new club was formed so we can all simply forget about their single season in the Vanarama. They are prowed, faithful and true. FTG **** off Teds

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

76-80 really got to Sags. They turned up at Ashton Gate to watch us get beat and every so often couldn't wait to get the hell out of the away end and take a week off sick rather than have it rammed down their throats from work colleagues, Roger Malone, the Big Match, Grandstand, BBC and ITV sports news, the national news papers.....week in, week out they were very very tortured souls, everyone everywhere was a Ted and they became  completely engulfed with envy and more often than not the envy would turn to rage resulting in displays of mindless violence from angry Sags who needed an outlet for their pain.

Remember, they experienced a bit of momentum themselves in the early 70's. They won the massive Watney Cup albeit on the lottery of a penalty shootout, beat Brian Clough's Brighton 8-2. Won promotion to the 2nd tier with 'Smash and Grab' and were "coming for City".....but then City went one better and their achievements were completely forgotten about. They stagnated in Division 2 and then started to go backwards, giving up on the football and turning to mindless terrace violence instead, eclipsing their 8-2 defeat of Brighton with getting totally hammered 9-0 by Tottenham in a game which John Motson described Rovers as "a VERY POOR SIDE", whilst over at BS3 Bristol City were putting European Champions Liverpool to the sword. 

Bristol was totally RED in the late 1970's and those of us who lived it can remember it well. Sags were generally quiet, unless of course they were on the lookout for trouble being the family club that they are.

Rovers fans believed that Bristol City won promotion to Division One simply to get one over on Bristol Rovers FC, not for City's ambitions of progressing as a football club.

So for Sags 1982 was like 'retribution' for the inflicted suffering and pain that they perceived was bestowed upon by Bristol City. Unbelievable pea brain mentality, but true all the same.

The difference with Rovers in 2015 is that no new club was formed so we can all simply forget about their single season in the Vanarama. They are prowed, faithful and true. FTG **** off Teds

I think you undersell it!. I was 16 when we went up and lived for a fair chunk of my formative years in ‘blue’ areas. My late mum and her parents came from Kingswood but luckily my grandfather saw the light and was dyed in the wool red.

I reckon I missed one home game in the Division 1 days and I think half the ‘trouble’ inside he ground was true away fans turning on sags who’d come to see us lose but were too spineless to come near the EE. It makes the ‘Teds in the away end thing’ all the more laughable.

About 15 years ago I was in a bar in Geneva after a Grenats (Servette) game. I was with some Swiss friends so probably not even speaking English  when some Neanderthal shouted ‘Shithead’ at me and started shouting ‘Roverzzzzzzz’ across the bar. Who gives these morons passports?

That club has alwas defined ‘success’ as ‘better than City’ whereas we seem to prefer ‘the best we can be’. Mind you, my sister defined 80/81 as a good season because we finished above the Sags - we were both relegated and we finished wih more points than goals but we were above them in the table.

I see a few parallels wih the early 1970s at the moment. We have backed a beleagued manager and he looks to be starting to come good. Sags have done reasonably well on the pitch but finances look to be dire. The important thing is that should we get promoted we manage it better this time, and compared with the 1970s the media coveage would be vast. That would tip our neighbours over the edge in so many ways.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Super said:

Surely missing a few 0's!

"Relieved not to get a non league potential banana skin. Quality weekend away in Nottingham, bang up for that. Reckon at least 2.5 - 3000 could be up for this"

I think their support will be nearer the 2 and half gasheads (definition of half a gas head - half as ugly as a whole one) than 3000 of the knuckle draggers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bianconeri said:

That club has always defined ‘success’ as ‘better than City’ whereas we seem to prefer ‘the best we can be’. Mind you, my sister defined 80/81 as a good season because we finished above the Sags - we were both relegated and we finished with more points than goals but we were above them in the table.

To be fair, I think that has been a problem for us as well. Finishing above the gas was acceptable. Now it's a given, we have finally moved on but I do think that's one of the reasons for our mediocrity in the past.

I'm glad we've finally got away from the 'better than them is success' but it's taken a very long time to get out of that mindset TBH. 

Onwards and upwards! 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

To be fair, I think that has been a problem for us as well. Finishing above the gas was acceptable. Now it's a given, we have finally moved on but I do think that's one of the reasons for our mediocrity in the past.

I'm glad we've finally got away from the 'better than them is success' but it's taken a very long time to get out of that mindset TBH. 

Onwards and upwards! 

Are you sure? Always find it a bit odd that one of the most frequently sung songs is 'Stand up if you hate the Gas'. Then there's this thread and it's massive predecessor. Obsessive, you could say...

1 minute ago, Calculus said:

Are you sure? Always find it a bit odd that one of the most frequently sung songs is 'Stand up if you hate the Gas'. Then there's this thread and it's massive predecessor. Obsessive, you could say...

There is nothing wrong with singing about local sides that see themselves as rivals, nothing wrong with talking about them.

As SJ said, the problem comes when you judge your own clubs success on how you have performed in comparison to them.

We no longer do this, nobody saw last season as a success because we finished higher than the fewers.

we are now looking upwards and focussing on that, they are watching our rear ends disappear into the distance and desperately trying to keep up.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Singing songs about them and comparing ourselves to them are 2 different things though Calculus. While we will always 'hate' them and sing with pride that we do, I don't think we measure success by our relative positions anymore, at least I hope we don't, we've moved on.

Do't get me wrong, I laugh when they lose and their relegation to non league was hysterical but they're no match for City, they know it, we know it and I genuinely don't think it's a comparison many at our place make anymore. I'll laugh at them but don't set standards by them.

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 3

• Admin
24 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Kind of agree with you @Calculus it is amazing how many songs we still sing about them, especially with a growing number of our support base probably never even being alive for a Bristol derby

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Kind of agree with you @Calculus it is amazing how many songs we still sing about them, especially with a growing number of our support base probably never even being alive for a Bristol derby

i generally can't remember many sung about them to be honest, ether the singing is shit or we don't tend to do it half as much as we use to,

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

Comparing ourselves to them isn't about singing songs though phantom. We will always dislike and deride them as they're our nearest neighbours, hence the songs, but we don't use them as a yardstick of success as we used to IMHO. We've bigger fish to fry! 

Edited by Ska Junkie

29 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Comparing ourselves to them isn't about singing songs though phantom. We will always dislike and deride them as they're our nearest neighbours, hence the songs, but we don't use them as a yardstick of success as we used to IMHO. We've bigger fish to fry! 

......meanwhile over at the Minimal they are burning Sheed shirts and jerking themselves blind over Dean Windass 

Edited by Cheesleysmate
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Happy days.

If any younger fans doubt this account, let me assure you @Cheesleysmate is 100% accurate here.

We were becoming the regional force that people always talk about in terms of our potential. Before it all went wrong. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I only wish that the internet had been invented and available in 1977 because I'd have loved to have read through their forum on the morning after the Coventry 2 v City 2 match which ensured that we avoided relegation from the old Division One. They must have been gutted!

Gutted for a bit, and then they would have tried to take legal action. Probably against Wycombe first.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I only wish that the internet had been invented and available in 1977 because I'd have loved to have read through their forum on the morning after the Coventry 2 v City 2 match which ensured that we avoided relegation from the old Division One. They must have been gutted!

Remember the Jimmy Hill/John Sillett/Alan Dicks  conspiracy theory? 

Jimmy Hill was a gurt 'ted mind!

Then we let them have Gary Collier on the cheap as pay off :whistle:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Remember the Jimmy Hill/John Sillett/Alan Dicks  conspiracy theory? 

Jimmy Hill was a gurt 'ted mind!

Then we let them have Gary Collier on the cheap as pay off :whistle:

Collier was the first player to go under the freedom of contract rules, it was because of this that DIcks persuaded the board to put the players on 10 year contracts ultimately contributing to our downfall. Not cheap...

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Collier was the first player to go under the freedom of contract rules, it was because of this that DIcks persuaded the board to put the players on 10 year contracts ultimately contributing to our downfall. Not cheap...

Yeah we know the truth but that never stopped the blue few peddling their lies.

if I remember right Collier went for about one Tillson didn't he?