IGNORED

Radio Bristol

frenchred

6 hours ago, Honiton Tony said:

Is this a joke ?

We should dispel any inputs that suggest SL is doing all of it solely for us. Make no mistake about it SL is a business man. Also, we should distrust anyone who seems to think the contrary. I do respect SL and I also expect that the head honcho running BCFC is a savvy businessman who can make the right, often complex decisions. I would hate to have someone making decisions only for us, the fans, those decisions would be emotional and would not have the best interest of the club in mind. This could sound contrary to what I have previously said in posts but it isn't. Fundamentally, the chairman and the board should have the best interests of the club in mind.

So, all those who are saying Steve is doing this for us, get a grip. That's not what we should be expecting but high quality management and strategic planning in the best interest of the club. I realize I have repeated myself but hopefully for good reason. 

34 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

1) Feb-Oct , took over a team that had already started to look like turning it around. He continued with pretty much the same tactics and system that Pembo and WE had used. New season starts, outplayed by Wigan until they sat back, Stuggled against Burton, sneaked a draw against Rotherham. We did beat Fulham and win tight games against Leeds and Forest, but the writing was on the wall giving up a 2-0 lead Vs Seff W. Our position in the Playoff places was false  Our position now should be, but due to poor leadership it isn't.

2) Not if you read what they think of him as @Fiale has already alluded to.

3) I thought that, one game when we were bing pushed back he brought on forwards and it pushed them back to finish off the game. But you weigh up the substitutions that have influenced the game in our favour against the ones that have made no impact , or worse have cost us the game. Then things don't look good.

Quite cathartic ain't it ;)

Ah, the 'it was all Pembo' arguement. Hilarious. What does he say? Because Barnsley achieved promotion with that same squad and LJ had already got them rising up the table before he left with those players, so it's true. I think it's very balanced, I think he won us just as many games through his subs from February to October as he's lost us games from October to now. I can't think of many games where the subs have been at fault anyway.

2 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

Ah, the 'it was all Pembo' arguement. Hilarious. What does he say? Because Barnsley achieved promotion with that same squad and LJ had already got them rising up the table before he left with those players, so it's true. I think it's very balanced, I think he won us just as many games through his subs from February to October as he's lost us games from October to now. I can't think of many games where the subs have been at fault anyway.

The bottom line is LJ has guided us to this position with significant financial backing. 

It isn't good enough and over 40 games he has to take responsibility for it. 

LJ or anyone else doing the same thing for that matter. 

3 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

The bottom line is LJ has guided us to this position with significant financial backing. 

It isn't good enough and over 40 games he has to take responsibility for it. 

LJ or anyone else doing the same thing for that matter. 

Like I said, I don't think he's perfect by any means, I just don't like the abuse (not critcism) aimed at him. I guess you could say he's had significant financial backing but that's balanced by an even net spend and the loss of a key player.

Board are responsible moreso than LJ for me.

1 minute ago, JHAGa said:

Like I said, I don't think he's perfect by any means, I just don't like the abuse (not critcism) aimed at him. I guess you could say he's had significant financial backing but that's balanced by an even net spend and the loss of a key player.

He has the players to stay up easily, so I'd say performances on the pitch have very little to do with the board. 

Loss of Kodjia was inevitable and nobody's fault. 

5 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

I believe he gets abuse because he is being placed ahead of the best interests of the club and is clearly a sneaky disloyal shithouse who never appears to accept the blame and prefers to publicly dig out players.

He wasn't getting much abuse up to the time he should have been treated like any other coach and dismissed.

Obviously things have been badly wrong on the football side of things all season and SL should be explaining why they've kept faith in Johnson ( I can't think of any good reasons) and to an extent the transfers of Taylor Moore, Engval, Goalkeepers, Matty Taylor and why they've been unsuccessful and barely given a chance. 

I guess the major question other than that would be 'can he categorically deny that he has no input whatsoever into team selection' ? 

Im sure some people will ask questions about Bristol Sport and losing our identity. I have no issues on that score , maybe I'd like to hear that he'd get fan involvement( of Football and Rugby)  in decision making at Bristol Sport.

Otherwise I'd like to thank SL for all the good things he's done , just get an experienced Coach with  appropriate CV to keep us up and then progress us through the division. The club is divided and needs re-uniting. This would be the best start.

As for some of the criticism of SL that's personal, political even and bitter, well a lot of guys who've made that criticism must leed faultless life's and know everything about everything. Some of those guys I know and they are professional moaners who've achieved nothing in life. A few others I'm surprised at. 

7 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

He has the players to stay up easily, so I'd say performances on the pitch have very little to do with the board. 

Loss of Kodjia was inevitable and nobody's fault. 

Does he though? Our squad isn't dire but aside from Abraham there's no spark going forward (Tomlin's performed in a handful of games this season).

1 minute ago, JHAGa said:

Does he though? Our squad isn't dire but aside from Abraham there's no spark going forward (Tomlin's performed in a handful of games this season).

However good the players are/aren't LJ told us he has the final say on the players that are brought in.

How many more excuses can we offer him? 

2 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

They'd be good enough if they were managed properly. 

Pick your World XI squad and if I were coach I could get them relegated to league one. That's what's happening with us. 

Shit manager making good players shit. 

"Steve: who is going to take responsibility for failure and what does taking responsibility look like?" 

"Steve: what do you think the public perception of your football knowledge is? Does this bother you?"

"After LJ has gone and the next manager is sacked for far less, what will people make of that? "

4 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

They'd be good enough if they were managed properly. 

Pick your World XI squad and if I were coach I could get them relegated to league one. That's what's happening with us. 

Shit manager making good players shit. 

I think an experienced manager like SC or Warnock would have us in a better position and LJ's inexperience has showed throughout the last few months as the pressure has escalated. As said before though, I have no faith in us appointing an adequate replacement either. Probably end up with Michael Appleton.

34 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

Huddersfield and Fulham are just very good teams and they outplayed us, although still our worst defeat of the two was 2-0. Forest we lost to an incredible free-kick. Villa we had Wilbraham up front on his own as Abraham was out injured, also their form since that game shows what a good side they are. Ipswich we lost by one goal also?

Clearly you and I have very different definitions of a team not playing for a manager.

Thanks for talking me through the results. All of those performances were absolutely terrible, lacking in everything and score lines that heavily flatter us. I assume you were at all of those games to disagree with me?

As for Forest, 'lost to an incredible free kick'. They were absolutely terrible and we were even worse. No manager, just sold their captain and best player, fans protesting before and during the game, in absolutely shocking form and yet we don't even threaten. But yeah 'just lost to an incredible free kick', don't see what my problem is.

3 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

I think an experienced manager like SC or Warnock would have us in a better position and LJ's inexperience has showed throughout the last few months as the pressure has escalated. As said before though, I have no faith in us appointing an adequate replacement either. Probably end up with Michael Appleton.

I truly believe the level of pressure exerted by us fans has been virtually nil compared to what he'd enjoy at most other clubs. 

2 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Thanks for talking me through the results. All of those performances were absolutely terrible, lacking in everything and score lines that heavily flatter us. I assume you were at all of those games to disagree with me?

As for Forest, 'lost to an incredible free kick'. They were absolutely terrible and we were even worse. No manager, just sold their captain and best player, fans protesting before and during the game, in absolutely shocking form and yet we don't even threaten. But yeah 'just lost to an incredible free kick', don't see what my problem is.

So you think players deliberately not playing for a manager lose by one goal then?

Some posters are fantastic supporters and some clearly don't want to support the team right now when the going has got tough. They vent anger on Otib instead.

That is fine, we all have the same right to choose but can we all stop assuming our support is good, great or fantastic away from home? Cheesley: What club in our league would have taken less than 312 fans to Preston on Tuesday for a vital match? 

I agree at most of the home games,the support has been good (which I am sure SL and everyone connected with the club is pleased about) 

I thought Norwich and Huddersfield were good recent examples of good support at A.G; the results were coincidently good too.

Just now, CotswoldRed said:

I truly believe the level of pressure exerted by us fans has been virtually nil compared to what he'd enjoy at most other clubs. 

Fans play a factor, especially as time goes on, but I mean the pressure of the job itself when things aren't going well and confidence is low. I agree LJ and the team have been well supported by fans at the games.

49 minutes ago, ooRya said:

Happy? How can any City supporter be happy with where we are right now?

I was just responding to previous posts that LJ has no tactical or coaching ability, when in my opinion he clearly does.

As I've said before in a previous post/thread, Scott Golbourne came out to say something like "we play well when we do the things we're asked to do, it's when we stop doing those things that it all goes wrong".

Now, why they stop doing those things is a question in itself.................

Sorry but I think you are seriously clutching at straws, as people keep saying a ****** watch is correct twice a day.

Just now, JHAGa said:

So you think players deliberately not playing for a manager lose by one goal then?

Well it's all about semantics isn't it. 

If the players are 'deliberately' not playing for a manager then I would normally expect higher score lines than we've seen this season, although in the games I listed, and others, I could reel off opportunities the opposition had to make it a pasting. I don't see how them missing those chances makes our performance any better.

Anyway, I responded to you saying that the last two games are the only evidence of the players 'not playing' for Johnson. As I said, the games I've listed, as well as others, the performances have been absolutely terrible, lacking in anything positive and we can call ourselves fortunate that some of the better teams have wasted opportunities to make it a cricket score while games such as Forest and Ipswich we were only saved by the fact they were also dreadful. Although not dreadful enough that we could even get a point.

We've taken 21 points from 29 games. If the players have been playing for him, then like I said, we're even worse than I thought we were. And I thought we were shit.

1 hour ago, ooRya said:

If you are going to say that Lee Johnson is to blame for those, you also have to accept that he is responsible for going 2-0 up against Newcastle, 3-0 up against Derby, 2-0 up against sheff Weds, 2-0 up against Reading etc. (And no, I don't need anyone to remind me of the final results of those games!) You can also look at the game changing substitutions earlier in the season.

To me, it's clear that Lee can and does get tactics right.

Yet we're going down.

8 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Some posters are fantastic supporters and some clearly don't want to support the team right now when the going has got tough. They vent anger on Otib instead.

That is fine, we all have the same right to choose but can we all stop assuming our support is good, great or fantastic away from home? Cheesley: What club in our league would have taken less than 312 fans to Preston on Tuesday for a vital match? 

I agree at most of the home games,the support has been good (which I am sure SL and everyone connected with the club is pleased about) 

I thought Norwich and Huddersfield were good recent examples of good support at A.G; the results were coincidently good too.

Well I suspect that the Preston game will surely encourage a few more to make the effort.

And just to dispel another myth about LJ (nothing to do with you mind) the myth that losing by the odd goal somehow meant that not a lot was wrong, we are an easy touch even our inept manager aluded to this several weeks ago.

I think we should stop using the phrase 'players aren't playing for LJ' we should perhaps prefer the phrase 'players can't play for LJ'. 

Imagine where we would be if we had one of those managers (a la Wagner or Rowett) who can make the team greater than the sum of its parts, rather than some idiot who's the polar opposite. 

1 hour ago, JHAGa said:

Forest we lost to an incredible free-kick.

Wow. Just wow. Are we really reduced to singling out things like that as some kind of defence? The level of acceptance and tolerance for the standard of football is truly sad, it's like people have been so ground down they will accept anything. 

I have never seen a team offer so little in a football match let alone a six pointer as in that Forest game. We offered far far less in that game than in the last 2 games and that's saying something. It was truly the bottom of the barrel... and yet "we lost to an incredible free kick"!!?

It's tragic, statements like that show how passive and weak a team we've become, that we (and not just you, it's the manager in particular) cling onto this notion of fine margins. What does it matter if Forest had even scored from the half way line, they were an awful team on an awful run with no manager and their fans against them, and we did nothing. Absolutely nothing. Didn't affect the game didn't get a shot on goal. Abject.

Stop pointing out how close things were for an opposition to win and reflect more on the total lack of strategy, tactics, even anything resembling competitive football that we display routinely in a majority of our matches - it has been the same since the start of the season. That is and always has been the problem and one that falls at Lee Johnson's door and no amount of dressing up Forests winner in the worst game of the season, will change that.

8 minutes ago, Olé said:

Wow. Just wow. Are we really reduced to singling out things like that as some kind of defence? The level of acceptance and tolerance for the standard of football is truly sad, it's like people have been so ground down they will accept anything. 

I have never seen a team offer so little in a football match let alone a six pointer as in that Forest game. We offered far far less in that game than in the last 2 games and that's saying something. It was truly the bottom of the barrel... and yet "we lost to an incredible free kick"!!?

It's tragic, statements like that show how passive and weak a team we've become, that we (and not just you, it's the manager in particular) cling onto this notion of fine margins. What does it matter if Forest had even scored from the half way line, they were an awful team on an awful run with no manager and their fans against them, and we did nothing. Absolutely nothing. Didn't affect the game didn't get a shot on goal. Abject.

Stop pointing out how close things were for an opposition to win and reflect more on the total lack of strategy, tactics, even anything resembling competitive football that we display routinely in a majority of our matches - it has been the same since the start of the season. That is and always has been the problem and one that falls at Lee Johnson's door and no amount of dressing up Forests winner in the worst game of the season, will change that.

Bang on. I swear some people must still watch their games on teletext. 

1 hour ago, JHAGa said:

Funnily enough I was tempted not to put names to the first bit, expected this response. I'm not saying 'it was all Pembo', I was pretty sure with some common sense we'd be ~OK but Cott's was too stubborn. What I meant , and said, was the upturn in fortune had started. LJ just carried it on and didn't change too much. I've seen more Barnsley fans say it was more to do with luck and Heckingbottom than what Johnson had put in place. And after a record breaking run of defeats , average form will see you improve and climb.
Since the end of last year I have not once been excited or inspired by a substitution, plus if you add the squad juggling (Engvall's okey jokey , Djuric praised then left out, Mags can't play LB except for his National side , Ried will be a £5m MF then dropped from the squad for weeks the list goes on ). The Reading game finally lost it for me ,the writing was on the wall from early on and he stands statuesque seeing them push us further and further back dominating MF . We probably needed the MF helping and he brought Reid on as a winger (for Odowda) and Wilbs came on for Freeman and the shape was lost along with the game. 

I know that some managers wave arms around for show, look at me I'm passionate ! LJ is the opposite, he seems to have very little to say, that Reading game was crying out for the manager to get them to push up away from our box , but he just wanders around relying on the coaches to get involved
I've had a gut full of his incompetence and the willingness of some fans to accept it (I'm not saying you btw) . I said during the summer and early season , that  this year seems different. Sadly I may be proved right for all the wrong reasons, I can picture the fans standing to applaud the team and Johnson off at the end of the game when our relegation is confirmed :facepalm:

Been thinking about this LJ arguement.

I am starting to wonder if LJ is just a pawn in a game of chess so to speak. To explain myself hopefully,

Are SL and MA just using him to deflect all the criticism away from them on to him? Everyone knows he is crap at his job, but whilst relegation looms heavy, he is doing an excellent job at deflecting all the abuse away from them onto him. Infact in this area of "business/PR, he is doing an excellent job. So SL says to MA, "lets leave him here hanging out to dry,  until we are down, then review, regroup and go again next season".

These mugs called fans will fall for that. PR machine in action?

Makes sense to me!

8 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Let's hope GT is his usual self and asks the 'proper' questions and isn't hampered by the BS BS!

Well 20 man has had 6 months of fans calling in and wanting LJ out so he has a duty to ask the questions which have been self evident on this forum for months . I am not holding my breath and the fact that SL has agreed to talk tomorrow sadly means that full backing for LJ will again be the spin.

Archived