IGNORED

4 wins in 6

ChippenhamRed

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I am by no means an LJ "fan", but credit where it is due, 4 wins in 6 is a decent return. In fact, had a new coach come in and won 4 out of 6, we'd have said it proved it was the right decision to sack LJ. Does this suggest it might be the right decision to keep him? It's also worth pointing out that our form over 15 games has been midtable, which is something closer to expectations this season.

So, if you had to decide to tomorrow whether to sack Johnson with immediate effect, or keep him, what would you do? Interested to get an idea where people stand our him right now.

Oh, and what happened to "the players only play when they're on the telly?"

You'll know full well I'm not an LJ fan, I make no secret of it. But I suppose it depends what you want out of next season. We've seen more than enough to show us that LJ is by and large incapable of getting a fairly talented squad playing well consistently. 

Now you'll no doubt argue back that 4 wins from 6 is a good return, and I'll argue back that there are far more instances of us being shit this season than being dope (typo of 'good' that autocorrect gave me - but I've decided I'll leave in!)

Now, give any manager long enough of being shit and they'll eventually come good (better is probably a more accurate word), like LJ is now, but my worry is that shit is just over the horizon. And that's not even taking into account his serial lambasting of players publicly and his repeated sheepish laughing in the face of defeat which is, at the very least embarrassing and unprofessional.

However, winning is good, but I'd still sack him given the chance. 

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I am by no means an LJ "fan", but credit where it is due, 4 wins in 6 is a decent return. In fact, had a new coach come in and won 4 out of 6, we'd have said it proved it was the right decision to sack LJ. Does this suggest it might be the right decision to keep him? It's also worth pointing out that our form over 15 games has been midtable, which is something closer to expectations this season.

So, if you had to decide to tomorrow whether to sack Johnson with immediate effect, or keep him, what would you do? Interested to get an idea where people stand our him right now.

Oh, and what happened to "the players only play when they're on the telly?"

I think you answer your own question with the in telly jibe.

The season is 46 games long and and the team have performed in barely a handful, TV or not.

Today was great. Really good football at times. I have no idea why the team have not performed like that on a consistent basis before.

Just now, JamesBCFC said:

That doesn't include todays game, I used those same numbers this morning

If it's just missing one game then its:

Won -  24     Drawn - 11     Lost - 24    Total games - 59    Win % 40.6

If it's missing wolves too is:

Won -  25     Drawn - 11     Lost - 24    Total games - 60    Win % 41.6

2 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Bloody good thread, interesting stuff.

I don't know much about Eddie Howe's early days at Bournemouth, without researching, but he must have had a few tough seasons in the beginning.

I'm sure the expectation is Lee will do for us what Eddie has at Bournemouth.

But I am sure he did not have gazillions to spend.

6 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

You'll know full well I'm not an LJ fan, I make no secret of it. But I suppose it depends what you want out of next season. We've seen more than enough to show us that LJ is by and large incapable of getting a fairly talented squad playing well consistently. 

Now you'll no doubt argue back that 4 wins from 6 is a good return, and I'll argue back that there are far more instances of us being shit this season than being dope (typo of 'good' that autocorrect gave me - but I've decided I'll leave in!)

Now, give any manager long enough of being shit and they'll eventually come good (better is probably a more accurate word), like LJ is now, but my worry is that shit is just over the horizon. And that's not even taking into account his serial lambasting of players publicly and his repeated sheepish laughing in the face of defeat which is, at the very least embarrassing and unprofessional.

However, winning is good, but I'd still sack him given the chance. 

Fair post Fordy. But when all's said and done, he has a midtable record with what you would expect to be a midtable side. So the cold hard statistics don't suggest he is any more incapable than he is capable, if we factor in results from last season too.

Not really trying to argue either way but I am increasingly torn based on recent results. There are no guarantees a new coach would have done better over the last few weeks, and how many managers at this level really guarantee you that "shit isn't just over the horizon" as you very eloquently suggest?!

Just now, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

He asked if he had had a tough time of it at the beginning.

even then from the start of his current spell he had money the whole time.

They got taken over by a Russian in 2011 and Howe went back there in 2012. When they got promoted from League 1 they had losses of over £15m and spent over £1m more than anyone else on transfers.They then racked up over £21m of debt in 2 seasons at this level.

Just now, JamesBCFC said:

even then from the start of his current spell he had money the whole time.

They got taken over by a Russian in 2011 and Howe went back there in 2012. When they got promoted from League 1 they had losses of over £15m and spent over £1m more than anyone else on transfers.They then racked up over £21m of debt in 2 seasons at this level.

Well, he used the money wisely then. Maybe LJ can learn something from him, as we don`t want another debacle of a season do we? Massive losing streaks appears to be his forte. But fair play, if he can turn things around, I would hold my hands up. But he has to do a hell of a lot to convince me.

Good win today...long may it continue.

By the way, Holloway dont make it good in QPR. Long ball towards Smith. Think LJ and the team made it good after the terrible run, think that is a strenght. We are not safe yet but it looks mutch better now.  Think we will keep LJ and get a descent championship team. Think its ok to give him at least another season. As someone said, its by misstakes he and the team learns. This is our second season in this leauge, and the second are most of the time difficault. Most of the team in our leauge who sacks the manager are not sucsessful, Birmingham, Wolves, Wigan and others. The future will tell us. Coyr!!!

He's getting till the end of the season and we are still very far from being safe. We stay up he stays, we go down and well he just has to go. 

If SL is giving LJ the whole season you have to assess whether he stays on the whole season and not 6 games. If that was the case he'd be gone a long time ago.

For the record I want us to keep this form going and survive and if that results in LJ keeping his job then I'll support him and the team but he won't have me bouncing round the ground at him staying just yet

More likely, than unlikely, that we will stay up and just about maintain our status.

He has, however,  presided over the worse run in the history of the football club.  That is a fact.  Not Fake news.

With our 'mini revival' after the Preston fiasco, it is notable that there is not a hint of 'Johnson says bounce around the ground'

I do believe the support is highly suspicious of him.  The crowd, us the masses, are behind the team, not certain re LJ.  In the fickle word of football supporters a few wins and its like the memory has been purged! Not quite the case yet when it comes to LJ

I am in a minority perhaps, but I   applaud SL for having the bottle to keep him and it might well  pay dividends. However, I want to see something from the club that if we retain our status, that things are in place that a third season in the Championship will not become another slog to maintain our status (minus a Tammy).  LJ always in his defence stated it would take him three transfer windows.  Well, LJ, the third one is fast approaching during this coming summer.  Stay up and lets see what you can do, SL will no doubt stick with you unless  we start badly.......

On my way back towards the Centre after today's game, I did speak to a City fan who's views were thus.

• Was against the appointment
  • Decided to get behind him
  • Was pleasantly surprised
  • Was unhappy with the results earlier this season
  • Is not a firm "Johnson out" screecher, but not a "Johnson in" person either.
  • Is fed up with the managerial merry go round, and that has led to him being a bit more patient.
  • Wants LJ to succeed. 

I am certainly not a big Johnson fan, but can understand why SL has resisted the almost irresistible ( to fans) temptation to change manager when we were on that terrible run before Christmas. SL has made some pretty big changes to the clubs infrastructure, all designed to give us more of a long term structure, which fans were crying out for when we were going lurching from one poor season to another, one manager to another and having to offload loads of over paid and over the hill players went it went wrong, as it invariably did in the seasons that followed GJ's time here.

SL called stick when results, league position and an increasing majority of fans were calling twist, and just now recent results appear to have justified his faith/confidence/prayers. 

However, if we do stay up and LJ stays in charge, LJ will have a lot of work to do. Firstly with the changes he will have to/need to make to the squad. Departures will be a strong indicator as to the players that LJ could not "trust", i.e. has fallen out with. It would be understandable that his relationship with players will have been "strained" by the sequence of results from November on, so he will have a major job on his hands to rebuild the trust and confidence of the squad in him.

He also has to rebuild trust and confidence in him from a large part of the fanbase. It will be a tough job, because I think there are quite a few fans who had made their minds up about LJ from the time he was appointed (negatively), so the poor sequence of results only reinforced those feelings against him. 

Ultimately we all know it is a results game. Accordingly, If he can get things on an even keel, we see a decent summer on the transfer front and the new season starts solidly and can be continued without the alarming slump we saw this season, then I think there is a strong chance fans' feelings towards him will change. I have a funny feeling that LJ might struggle ever to be loved the way his Dad was - especially so during the promotion and play off seasons - even if he goes on to achieve a degree of success with us, but getting the team competing towards the top end of the championship might get more fans respecting him, even if that respect is sometimes begrudging. 

P.S. I'm just watching 1980 TOTP and the only thing I can think of that is tighter than Errol Brown's trousers is the bottom 8 of the championship!

Get rid....he's spent zillions on players and we haven't moved on at all since he's been here....oh for an experienced, successful manager at this level.

When Chris Hughton was unemployed I was laffed at for suggesting getting him in here a good while ago and I've always gone on about getting Warnock in with similar reactions....those two ain't doing too bad just now...we just need someone who has been there and done it....

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

I am certainly not a big Johnson fan, but can understand why SL has resisted the almost irresistible ( to fans) temptation to change manager when we were on that terrible run before Christmas. SL has made some pretty big changes to the clubs infrastructure, all designed to give us more of a long term structure, which fans were crying out for when we were going lurching from one poor season to another, one manager to another and having to offload loads of over paid and over the hill players went it went wrong, as it invariably did in the seasons that followed GJ's time here.

SL called stick when results, league position and an increasing majority of fans were calling twist, and just now recent results appear to have justified his faith/confidence/prayers. 

However, if we do stay up and LJ stays in charge, LJ will have a lot of work to do. Firstly with the changes he will have to/need to make to the squad. Departures will be a strong indicator as to the players that LJ could not "trust", i.e. has fallen out with. It would be understandable that his relationship with players will have been "strained" by the sequence of results from November on, so he will have a major job on his hands to rebuild the trust and confidence of the squad in him.

He also has to rebuild trust and confidence in him from a large part of the fanbase. It will be a tough job, because I think there are quite a few fans who had made their minds up about LJ from the time he was appointed (negatively), so the poor sequence of results only reinforced those feelings against him. 

Ultimately we all know it is a results game. Accordingly, If he can get things on an even keel, we see a decent summer on the transfer front and the new season starts solidly and can be continued without the alarming slump we saw this season, then I think there is a strong chance fans' feelings towards him will change. I have a funny feeling that LJ might struggle ever to be loved the way his Dad was - especially so during the promotion and play off seasons - even if he goes on to achieve a degree of success with us, but getting the team competing towards the top end of the championship might get more fans respecting him, even if that respect is sometimes begrudging. 

P.S. I'm just watching 1980 TOTP and the only thing I can think of that is tighter than Errol Brown's trousers is the bottom 8 of the championship!

P.P.S There is  something else as tight, if not tighter than Errol Brown's trousers.

Just seen TISWAS do The Bucket of Water Song ( also on 1980s on TOTP!!!) - Sally James's trousers and spangly top are both pleasingly tight!

32 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Get rid....he's spent zillions on players and we haven't moved on at all since he's been here....oh for an experienced, successful manager at this level.

When Chris Hughton was unemployed I was laffed at for suggesting getting him in here a good while ago and I've always gone on about getting Warnock in with similar reactions....those two ain't doing too bad just now...we just need someone who has been there and done it....

Perfectly reasonable argument, but would you get rid tomorrow?

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Perfectly reasonable argument, but would you get rid tomorrow?

Bit of a daft question in that most would've got rid weeks, if not months, ago. Tomorrow, after two wins and with a massive game at Blackburn on Monday you're not going to get a massive response saying yes, which I suspect you know.

It is better to assess at seasons end now. I'm still unhappy he's here and SL has confirmed he'll be here next season if we stay up and I suspect also even if we are relegated.  

Going back to the question of 'to sack or not to sack' which gets the bigger bounce.

Rotherham, Wigan, Blackburn, Wolves, QPR, Birmingham, Nottingham Forest, so that is 7 of the bottom 9 have sacked managers this season, some more than once,. Yet they are all still in either a similar or worse position than they were before so any bounce with a new manager has either not happened or has been short lived.  

7 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Bit of a daft question in that most would've got rid weeks, if not months, ago. Tomorrow, after two wins and with a massive game at Blackburn on Monday you're not going to get a massive response saying yes, which I suspect you know.

It is better to assess at seasons end now. I'm still unhappy he's here and SL has confirmed he'll be here next season if we stay up and I suspect also even if we are relegated.  

It's not a daft question, it's an interesting question because it's difficult to answer when his overall record is poor but recent form is pretty good. It makes for an interesting debate so I'm not sure why you feel the need to try to discredit the question.

Of course most would have got rid weeks ago - as would I - that goes without saying.

The question really is: what happened in those 17 games in which we were rubbish. 

If that was down to LJ and his confusing management, then he had better learnt his lesson. The tinkering and not knowing his best team certainly didn't help and can't continue.

We see the potential our squad has, and his job is to fulfil that potential, not just in bursts, but consistently. 

This league is full of teams are a similar level of capability and we need to edge ahead of them with or without LJ.

9 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

On my way back towards the Centre after today's game, I did speak to a City fan who's views were thus.

• Was against the appointment
  • Decided to get behind him
  • Was pleasantly surprised
  • Was unhappy with the results earlier this season
  • Is not a firm "Johnson out" screecher, but not a "Johnson in" person either.
  • Is fed up with the managerial merry go round, and that has led to him being a bit more patient.
  • Wants LJ to succeed. 

Exactly how I feel. 

Archived