IGNORED

4 wins in 6

ChippenhamRed

I am by no means an LJ "fan", but credit where it is due, 4 wins in 6 is a decent return. In fact, had a new coach come in and won 4 out of 6, we'd have said it proved it was the right decision to sack LJ. Does this suggest it might be the right decision to keep him? It's also worth pointing out that our form over 15 games has been midtable, which is something closer to expectations this season.

So, if you had to decide to tomorrow whether to sack Johnson with immediate effect, or keep him, what would you do? Interested to get an idea where people stand our him right now.

Oh, and what happened to "the players only play when they're on the telly?"

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I am by no means an LJ "fan", but credit where it is due, 4 wins in 6 is a decent return. In fact, had a new coach come in and won 4 out of 6, we'd have said it proved it was the right decision to sack LJ. Does this suggest it might be the right decision to keep him? It's also worth pointing out that our form over 15 games has been midtable, which is something closer to expectations this season.

So, if you had to decide to tomorrow whether to sack Johnson with immediate effect, or keep him, what would you do? Interested to get an idea where people stand our him right now.

Featured game on Channel 5 tonight pal...

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

They were on TV. They were on in pretty much every country in the world except the UK....As they were against Brentford!

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

They were on telly in the US though. Perhaps they are looking for moves to MLS?:whistle:

Your point is a fair one though, just impossible to prove either way.

5 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Keep. 

16 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Keep

I posted a while ago pointing to some research done that showed sticking with a manager results in a bigger 'bounce' than appointing a new one.

This isn't an "I told you so" post, and I'm not counting any chickens yet, but with that and the recent upturn in mind I would stick with LJ.

Keep LJ as manager.

I have only ever wanted him sacked in the aftermath of the Preston defeat - which I blame purely on the shocking score line.

The recent wins have been a perfect tonic and a reminder of the things we are capable of with Lee in charge.

19 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I'd get rid of him. 

Maybe not today, or after the next defeat but certainly at the end of the season. 

Like you say, fair play to him though and the players over the recent wins. Much needed boost for the fans. Credit where it's due.

Back to basics makes a different. Football is often complicated unnecessarily. 

10 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I posted a while ago pointing to some research done that showed sticking with a manager results in a bigger 'bounce' than appointing a new one.

This isn't an "I told you so" post, and I'm not counting any chickens yet, but with that and the recent upturn in mind I would stick with LJ.

I remembered your post but couldn't find it. If I remember rightly you posted a link about it, any chance you could post it again?

9 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I read the same on the Guardian site recently. Interesting and it flies in the face of what people assume to be the case.

13 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

It's certainly an interesting debate.

It's been said plenty of times that LJ has "shown he is not up to the job" based on our appalling mid-season form. But when you look at his good work last season and our mid-table form over the last 15 games, does that equally suggest he is up to the job?

Can anyone tell me his overall record in charge now?

I'm not defending his record this season - 18th is well short of where I think we should be given our spending - but I do think the recovery from a seemingly hopeless position deserves some credit. And I don't think a new coach would necessarily have achieved more.

2 minutes ago, Engvall's Splinter said:

I'd get rid of him. 

Maybe not today, or after the next defeat but certainly at the end of the season. 

Like you say, fair play to him though and the players over the recent wins. Much needed boost for the fans. Credit where it's due.

Back to basics makes a different. Football is often complicated unnecessarily. 

And complicated was what LJ has been doing for months now,  although I still don't think he is the Coach/Manager to take us to the promise land, I will give him credit for going back to basic and using players like Little again, who possibly could be coming back to his form in the promotion season, after his very bad injury.  Let's hope we get a good result on Monday and make our Championship status secure, at least for next season.

39 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I like your perspective.

Keep.

The 'sack the manager' approach isn't healthy to any club.

Doesn't help with the fickle few on here that have no actual impact or effect on the general support or procedings of the club. Although it is amusing to read sometimes.

I think he'll stay at least until March 2018, depending on the second half of next season. Until then, I'll smirk at the remarks on our 'worse' match days on here :)

He came in and steered us clear and this season has overseen a turnaround which could see us safe. 

He will have learnt in the past 18m more about management than some might in years. He's made terrible mistakes; transfers, tactics, man management. 

I'm intrigued for next season. Will he learn from mistakes when he comes back after a break or will he keep making them? 

50 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Keep for now and bin off at the final whistle of the final game this season.

I'm relieved we have improved in recent games. 3 home wins in a row is very gratifying given where we are at the moment and, if we can carry that on against Barnsley and Birmingham that should be enough to keep us up. 

LJ is a long way from convincing me. I feel our last 4 matches will ultimately decide whether he should be kept over the summer. We need to be looking at least seven points from the last 4 matches for me to feel we have finished the season strongly. It must be said that I believe that to be achievable. More generally LJ needs to show he can get us results consistently over the long term and not have any more extended wobbles next season. I think we will keep him. However time will tell whether that is the right decision. 

18 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

I remembered your post but couldn't find it. If I remember rightly you posted a link about it, any chance you could post it again?

I have a rough idea of when I posted it, so will search my posts around that date, hopefully will find it.

16 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It's certainly an interesting debate.

It's been said plenty of times that LJ has "shown he is not up to the job" based on our appalling mid-season form. But when you look at his good work last season and our mid-table form over the last 15 games, does that equally suggest he is up to the job?

Can anyone tell me his overall record in charge now?

I'm not defending his record this season - 18th is well short of where I think we should be given our spending - but I do think the recovery from a seemingly hopeless position deserves some credit. And I don't think a new coach would necessarily have achieved more.

I can!

24 wins, 11 draws and 24 defeats in 59 games. Just over 1.4 points per game.

That average over a 46 game season works out at 64-65 points, which is a top half record.

Part of the reason I've always been one of the biggest backers in the LJ in camp is that I'm fed up of the club repeating the same cycle season after season. I felt LJ showed promise from February to October and for that reason, didn't deserve complete writing off for the terrible run we went on from November to February. The last two months we've responded to an extreme low brilliantly, management and players. I think he's shown promise as a coach and will have learned a lot from his first full season in charge at Championship level. Still not over the line yet and a lot of work to be done over the last four games, but I don't see the point in getting rid of a manager when we will just be getting rid of the next one in 12 months time, as is usually the case. SL clearly shares my sentiments.

I've stated numerous times I hope SL's gamble pays off as it would be nice for us to have a manager in place with plans for the bigger picture. He is clearly SL's man and LJ knows the club and support well. I think he accepted the criticism during that bad run and completely understood fans' frustrations. It was the abuse from a few that I found unnecessary, but I think the majority will have always wanted LJ to come good here. I think he's a good bloke with Bristol City at heart, despite being on the receiving end of stick as a player and manager! It may take time for LJ to win over some fans again (some quicker than others, some longer) but he can only continue doing what he has been doing recently.

29 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Keep LJ as manager.

I have only ever wanted him sacked in the aftermath of the Preston defeat - which I blame purely on the shocking score line.

The recent wins have been a perfect tonic and a reminder of the things we are capable of with Lee in charge.

Exactly what happened to me. I came on here and nailed my colours firmly to the mast that I was now in favour of Johnson getting the boot. I am so glad things have been turned around but feel I must still call for his head having publicly declared that that was now my position after the PNE debacle. I just hope this continues and I am still calling for his dismissal prior to the play off final at Wembley and when a poll is started on whether he should get the sack upon us attaining promotion that I am the only sod voting for him getting the bullet. 

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Regardless of what division we are in next season. 

I'd sack, taking the club backwards 

I'm torn because I hate the constant turnover of managers, and I just want one to be given a chance.

the problem is I'm still not convinced LJ is the one to show faith in. The results are one thing, but I'm very concerned about what's going on behind the scenes. It isn't just rumours that there are rifts in the changing room, it's fact.

i guess we have LJ now til the end of the season, and then we will see a clear out with any dissenters leaving and hopefully from there we can restore the harmony and team spirit

15 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I have a rough idea of when I posted it, so will search my posts around that date, hopefully will find it.

I can!

24 wins, 11 draws and 24 defeats in 59 games. Just over 1.4 points per game.

That average over a 46 game season works out at 64-65 points, which is a top half record.

You see that's not a terrible record by any stretch of the imagination. He's underperformed this year without a doubt, but if he really was as "clueless" as is so often claimed on here, would he have won as many as he's lost?

I would actually say that had LJ won his games more evenly over his tenure, his reputation would not be nearly as poor as it currently is. He appears to be a feast or famine coach which ultimately does more harm than good to his overall reputation.

1 minute ago, bh_red said:

Regardless of what division we are in next season. 

I'd sack, taking the club backwards 

Is he though? We were still under serious threat of relegation when he arrived, he guided us to safety (while acknowledging the good work started by Pemberton). This season we have underperformed against expectation but we're currently 18th and if we were to finish there, it would be the same as last season and fractionally ahead of where we were when he arrived.

Perhaps not the forwards progress he should have made given the investment, but neither is it backwards.

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

Featured game on Channel 5 tonight pal...

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

They were on TV. They were on in pretty much every country in the world except the UK....As they were against Brentford!

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

They were on telly in the US though. Perhaps they are looking for moves to MLS?:whistle:

Your point is a fair one though, just impossible to prove either way.

I think the whole "they play when they're on the telly" suggestion was a lazy argument based on a tiny sample of one game which completely ignored the ropey performances on Sky against Cardiff and Brighton.

Good point about Brentford too!

Bloody good thread, interesting stuff.

I don't know much about Eddie Howe's early days at Bournemouth, without researching, but he must have had a few tough seasons in the beginning.

I'm sure the expectation is Lee will do for us what Eddie has at Bournemouth.

Archived