IGNORED

4 wins in 6

ChippenhamRed

Several things really bother me about LJ.

Firstly his lack of "stature" in football. An extremely average player who's career seems have been due in no small part to his father.

And his management style is so similar to dad. For Uncle Pete, insert Holden and Macca. Not family but best mates. Were they the best candidates for coaches ? Doubtful.

Team tactics are all too similar to GJ's. Negative first half tactics, trying not to lose rather than attempting to win. Remember the Cardiff and Reading games at home when our method of defending a lead late in the game was to string all ten outfield players in a haphazard line across the edge of our penalty box.

And lastly, his public "hanging out to dry" of his players in post match interviews. That comes from the "How not to win friends and influence people" Training Manual.

We will not progress as a club with this person as our Head Coach. Like his father, he'll be OK for lower leagues but not where we want to go.

22 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

I apologise if I have not followed all the debate on here as closely as I might - in my defence, I tend to dip in and out of the forum between dealing with the various episodes of crisis that is the lot of a carer and smallholder.  There are many views on here and I do not pretend to know which belongs to whom.

I believe that you minimise the problems of SO MANY young and new players as well as the end of the emergency loan system that provided the "get out of jail Card". LJ is still a very young head coach and I believe it is entirely possible that the ambition of SL helped to create this situation. Most managers only end up recruiting half a dozen or so players and have a similar number leaving.  Its all changed in this last season.  Lets just hope that we manage to stay up and can push on next season.  I doubt that there is anything I can say to give you any comfort about LJ and his tenure - like many on here, you seem to pose opinions as facts and never question if they are sound. Anyway - I must go - next crisis is calling!

"Smallholder??-don't put yourself down..

Indeed,let's hope we do survive the trap door and push next season(hope against hope for Lee to rise phoenix like from the flames),though very likely the only thing we shall be pushing at is the same door back to league one.

Sadly your gentle musings fail to calm my considered doubts,although wishing I shared your faith,as faith is such comfort in hard times.

Humble best wishes with your caring role...

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 17:27, ChippenhamRed said:

I am by no means an LJ "fan", but credit where it is due, 4 wins in 6 is a decent return. In fact, had a new coach come in and won 4 out of 6, we'd have said it proved it was the right decision to sack LJ. Does this suggest it might be the right decision to keep him? It's also worth pointing out that our form over 15 games has been midtable, which is something closer to expectations this season.

So, if you had to decide to tomorrow whether to sack Johnson with immediate effect, or keep him, what would you do? Interested to get an idea where people stand our him right now.

Oh, and what happened to "the players only play when they're on the telly?"

Sack, without doubt. Not that SL will, regardless of whether we stay up or go down.

4 wins out of the last 6 does not mask the massive underachievement this season under LJ. I know we lost Kodjia, but Tammy on loan has at least cancelled that loss out. On top of which LJ has had backing, the likes of which we have never seen before, and after signing all those players (19 I think?) we are on course, at best, to equal last seasons finish. Monumental waste!

With the squad LJ had at the start of the season he should have been able to have got us comfortable mid-table, just like Preston and Barnsley have achieved with a fraction of the investment but good management and playing to established systems.

We have seen numerous different players come in have a run in the team and then be frozen out, senior pros like Tomlin & GON clearly not happy, many games where we start with one formation and change 2 more times during the course of the match, obsessive persistence starting with 1 up front, left footers being asked to play right flank and vice versa. All signs of a poor coach, with no real idea of how to play or what his best formation/side is.

With LJ in charge again next season, which is inevitable, we can only look forward to another season of struggle. Johnson OUT!

1 minute ago, Robert the bruce said:

"Smallholder??-don't put yourself down..

Indeed,let's hope we do survive the trap door and push next season(hope against hope for Lee to rise phoenix like from the flames),though very likely the only thing we shall be pushing at is the same door back to league one.

Sadly your gentle musings fail to calm my considered doubts,although wishing I shared your faith,as faith is such comfort in hard times.

Very Humble best wishes with your caring role...

Robert - it is all about having faith - in this case in SLs judgement and in LJ. Hopefully we will avoid the trap door and strengthen in the summer.  With all the parachute teams, it looks difficult to really push into the upper levels of this league - hence the plan/project.  As for all the angst about managers, owners and players - well we don't really have a choice in these matters, so I tend to be pragmatic and "love the one you're with" is my rule.  

I appreciate your wishes, but we have been caring for our version of "Grace Poole's charge" for over 30 years so things are not so bad. The worst problems in life right now are the league position and the chicken, leek and ham pies - now both of those could do with a bit of divine influence - if you know anyone.....

Big day today COYR!

Just now, old_eastender said:

Sack, without doubt. Not that SL will, regardless of whether we stay up or go down.

4 wins out of the last 6 does not mask the massive underachievement this season under LJ. I know we lost Kodjia, but Tammy on loan has at least cancelled that loss out. On top of which LJ has had backing, the likes of which we have never seen before, and after signing all those players (19 I think?) we are on course, at best, to equal last seasons finish. Monumental waste!

With the squad LJ had at the start of the season he should have been able to have got us comfortable mid-table, just like Preston and Barnsley have achieved with a fraction of the investment but good management and playing to established systems.

We have seen numerous different players come in have a run in the team and then be frozen out, senior pros like Tomlin & GON clearly not happy, many games where we start with one formation and change 2 more times during the course of the match, obsessive persistence starting with 1 up front, left footers being asked to play right flank and vice versa. All signs of a poor coach, with no real idea of how to play or what his best formation/side is.

With LJ in charge again next season, which is inevitable, we can only look forward to another season of struggle. Johnson OUT!

The only problem with citing GON as being underplayed is his shocking injury record - I reckon he has missed a good half of the season with a variety of injuries - maybe it is all too physical for him? As for Lee Tomlin - I love watching the guy when he is in his pomp, although we have seen little of this during the season. His lack of desire to tackle back or even get in the way of the opposition has cost us dear in a number of matches - maybe he is too far "ahead of his time"?

Archived