IGNORED

4 wins in 6

ChippenhamRed

2 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

It is interesting that people seem happy to give young players time to develop and to allow theri talent to really bloom - but the same is not true of young managers/head coaches.  SL has clearly decided that he wants a young head coach to develop alongside the "young, mobile and hungry" footballers that we are trying to build into our squad. I think that many good managers have been sacked after a run of indeifferent result - SC being a case in point. The "mob" tend to call for the head of anyone who does not follow their mood and that mood tends to be led by those who often have more passion than sense - remember those calling for "our best player" to be starting every game, when LT can often cause more trouble for our team than the opposition - depending on which LT turns up!

The empty echo chamber of the forum does not trump the authority, knowledge and judgement of SL, who sees what is going on because he is in contact with events inside the camp and gets regular reports from people he trusts.  I believe that we are in very good hands but that there is enough promise and positive teambuilding within the camp to give us all reasons to be optimistic. Changes in the next window will be fascinating and then we shall see what LJ is made of.  Whatever happens, he will have to have a large squad to cope with the loss of the emergency loan system, and that will lead to pressures within the camp and more food for the rumour mill!

Mr Fastard, sir, I salute your courage, your strength, your indefatigability, and I want you to know that I am now with you - and his Excellency Mr Majority Owner and his "authority, knowledge and judgement"; and, indeed, SL's indefatigability hatta al-nasr, hatta al-nasr!

To indefatigability! And victory! But not to League One!

Just now, Jack Dawe said:

Mr Fastard, sir, I salute your courage, your strength, your indefatigability, and I want you to know that I am now with you - and his Excellency Mr Majority Owner and his "authority, knowledge and judgement"; and, indeed, SL's indefatigability hatta al-nasr, hatta al-nasr!

To indefatigability! And victory! But not to League One!

I am humbled!

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

That isn't what SL said though.

Okay, so it may not be exactly as he has said, but I don't think I am making any kind of big leap in presuming that this is his position- what aspect of what I've said that isn't preceded by "presumably" is miles wide of what SL said, or isn't bourne out by his actions this season?

I'm sure semantics can be argued, but it seemed clear enough to me that he is behind LJ long term, from what I have both read and heard.  What aspect of that is controversial to you?

7 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

It is interesting that people seem happy to give young players time to develop and to allow theri talent to really bloom - but the same is not true of young managers/head coaches.  SL has clearly decided that he wants a young head coach to develop alongside the "young, mobile and hungry" footballers that we are trying to build into our squad. I think that many good managers have been sacked after a run of indeifferent result - SC being a case in point. The "mob" tend to call for the head of anyone who does not follow their mood and that mood tends to be led by those who often have more passion than sense - remember those calling for "our best player" to be starting every game, when LT can often cause more trouble for our team than the opposition - depending on which LT turns up!

The empty echo chamber of the forum does not trump the authority, knowledge and judgement of SL, who sees what is going on because he is in contact with events inside the camp and gets regular reports from people he trusts.  I believe that we are in very good hands but that there is enough promise and positive teambuilding within the camp to give us all reasons to be optimistic. Changes in the next window will be fascinating and then we shall see what LJ is made of.  Whatever happens, he will have to have a large squad to cope with the loss of the emergency loan system, and that will lead to pressures within the camp and more food for the rumour mill!

Whatever anyone thinks of LJ I agree with your point about young coaches. The EFL tends to be a merry go round of old lags with not enough openings for new blood. That means less innovation, which stops the game from developing more variety.

It is very different in Germany for instance, hence you get the likes of Klopp and Tuchel, and now Hasenhuttl at RB Leipzig.

God forbid we are left with a league of Mick McCarthys. Or worse, of Holloways.:facepalm:

Just now, chinapig said:

Whatever anyone thinks of LJ I agree with your point about young coaches. The EFL tends to be a merry go round of old lags with not enough openings for new blood. That means less innovation, which stops the game from developing more variety.

It is very different in Germany for instance, hence you get the likes of Klopp and Tuchel, and now Hasenhuttl at RB Leipzig.

God forbid we are left with a league of Mick McCarthys. Or worse, of Holloways.:facepalm:

Or even a certain manager now with Cardiff who was being called for by some on here, a while back, as a replacement for LJ!!

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 17:27, ChippenhamRed said:

I am by no means an LJ "fan", but credit where it is due, 4 wins in 6 is a decent return. In fact, had a new coach come in and won 4 out of 6, we'd have said it proved it was the right decision to sack LJ. Does this suggest it might be the right decision to keep him? It's also worth pointing out that our form over 15 games has been midtable, which is something closer to expectations this season.

So, if you had to decide to tomorrow whether to sack Johnson with immediate effect, or keep him, what would you do? Interested to get an idea where people stand our him right now.

Oh, and what happened to "the players only play when they're on the telly?"

I'm wondering if our success lately has come about by the more luck than judgement route, I mean with all the players he has bought the right formation had to come eventually as long as he doesn't revert to type and start tinkering again.

8 hours ago, citywest30 said:

But were we rubbish?Until recently we hadn't been beaten by more than one goal. That doesn't sound like a rubbish team. We threw lots of good positions away but with a bit of luck and a bit more clever play seeing games out our position could have been very different. There a very fine lines in football.

but doesn't always being on the wrong side of that fine line also show something?

37 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Or even a certain manager now with Cardiff who was being called for by some on here, a while back, as a replacement for LJ!!

As uncertain and down-right unimpressed as I've been/am with LJ in many ways, it's safe to say I would rather be relegated than employ Warnock.

Not a comment on him as a person (many talk about him being a "nice bloke" away from the pitch when this is brought up; I don't care about that, and has no baring) but watching the levels he gets his players to stoop to in order to win games, I can honestly say I'd be disgusted if we employed him.

I do think we are better seeking out a young, learning coach to lead us forwards, but I'm just yet to be convinced that coach is Lee Johnson, based off what I've seen.

1 minute ago, samo II said:

As uncertain and down-right unimpressed as I've been/am with LJ in many ways, it's safe to say I would rather be relegated than employ Warnock.

Not a comment on him as a person (many talk about him being a "nice bloke" away from the pitch when this is brought up; I don't care about that, and has no baring) but watching the levels he gets his players to stoop to in order to win games, I can honestly say I'd be disgusted if we employed him.

I do think we are better seeking out a young, learning coach to lead us forwards, but I'm just yet to be convinced that coach is Lee Johnson, based off what I've seen.

Well you may or may not be right about LJ - I reckon it is far too early to judge him. When he is judged, it will be by SL, who will judge him within the context of his delivery of the project - and this will not neccessarily have a bearing on actual results. We should know more in a year or two!

9 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

He will certainly tweak the squad in the next window, and I feel sure that he knows exactly what he is looking for.

Well the part in bold is probably the understatement of the year!

If I read anything into his handling of the squad this season and his activities in the transfer market to date, I expect bloody revolution not evolution this summer, which I don't think was the original intended purpose of the mythical third transfer window. I have a feeling a number of established or impressive players will be among the collateral damage of a manager who truthfully does still not know his best team and has at one time or another blamed all of them.

I believe the summer will shock a few people (not just the level of further overhaul to the squad, but the number of players who have not enjoyed this year and have instructed agents to tout them elsewhere). So yes, tweak the squad he will, I would suggest it will be more dramatic than that, and not the final pieces of a jigsaw for a stable season, we would want it to be. Does he know 'exactly what he is looking for'? Not at all, as the overhaul still to come, will show.

2 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

Well you may or may not be right about LJ - I reckon it is far too early to judge him. When he is judged, it will be by SL, who will judge him within the context of his delivery of the project - and this will not neccessarily have a bearing on actual results. We should know more in a year or two!

My only concern is he keeps us up in the here and now, after he has been responsible for taking us deep into a relegation fight that I honestly feel was absolutely avoidable with the resources we have.

I'm relatively sanguine now about our chances of staying up; performances have demonstrated we have it in us to do what it takes.  The multimillion pound question stands; is this form because of or despite LJ?  I'm not convinced it is his skill that has us clawing our way out of the scenario he led us into, but we will see.

Realise your an 'LJ till you die'-type (not an insult; just a comment based on your obvious desire for him to be and stay in charge), so very little of the above will mean much to you, but I still hold very real concerns the 'revival' is built more in player pride than managerial brilliance.  But time will tell, I supppse.

33 minutes ago, Olé said:

Well the part in bold is probably the understatement of the year!

If I read anything into his handling of the squad this season and his activities in the transfer market to date, I expect bloody revolution not evolution this summer, which I don't think was the original intended purpose of the mythical third transfer window. I have a feeling a number of established or impressive players will be among the collateral damage of a manager who truthfully does still not know his best team and has at one time or another blamed all of them.

I believe the summer will shock a few people (not just the level of further overhaul to the squad, but the number of players who have not enjoyed this year and have instructed agents to tout them elsewhere). So yes, tweak the squad he will, I would suggest it will be more dramatic than that, and not the final pieces of a jigsaw for a stable season, we would want it to be. Does he know 'exactly what he is looking for'? Not at all, as the overhaul still to come, will show.

His budget may be larger than might be supposed because there was a large amount raised from player sales and sell on clauses last season. I would expect at least two marquee signings as well as two or three of the more expensive younger players. Young, mobile and hungry will be the underpinnings of the squad. It should be great! COYR!

31 minutes ago, samo II said:

My only concern is he keeps us up in the here and now, after he has been responsible for taking us deep into a relegation fight that I honestly feel was absolutely avoidable with the resources we have.

I'm relatively sanguine now about our chances of staying up; performances have demonstrated we have it in us to do what it takes.  The multimillion pound question stands; is this form because of or despite LJ?  I'm not convinced it is his skill that has us clawing our way out of the scenario he led us into, but we will see.

Realise your an 'LJ till you die'-type (not an insult; just a comment based on your obvious desire for him to be and stay in charge), so very little of the above will mean much to you, but I still hold very real concerns the 'revival' is built more in player pride than managerial brilliance.  But time will tell, I supppse.

I have also expressed my concerns but I think that changing manager every year only makes sure that squads are made up from players recruited by previous imcumbants - and this cannot be a good way of building a stable base in which young players can grow and improve. SL is very wise to keep LJ, in my opinion, because he is bright enough to learn and improve. It will be a fascinating summer! COYR!

Just now, Bat Fastard said:

I have also expressed my concerns but I think that changing manager every year only makes sure that squads are made up from players recruited by previous imcumbants - and this cannot be a good way of building a stable base in which young players can grow and improve. SL is very wise to keep LJ, in my opinion, because he is bright enough to learn and improve. It will be a fascinating summer! COYR!

To get us out of the mire he's led us into, LJ is using players primarily bought by or even before his predecessor, so not sure your logic fully scans, but okay.

I don't see any evidence of any project, beyond token appearances or bench places for academy players, plus the money we've spent on 'potential' dwarfs that most other, more successful teams have spent on players for the now.  And our most impressive young player (hell; player, full stop) belongs to another club, and I doubt will be here to bail us/LJ out next year; I don't see a promising youth player waiting in the wings to replace him, so I guess we'll need to spend more of SL's money. 

So while I'm keen for us to invest in youth, I also don't find it easy to swallow PR sound bites when contradictory evidence is there to be seen with my own eyes.

I'm glad, nay delighted you are happy for us to be scrapping down the wrong end of the table, after the deepest investment in playing staff (not to mention our stadium) I've seen in my life time, but I'm of a mind we sit in a potentially more worrying situation than even some of our more tumultuous times at this level in recent years.

I hope it comes good, I really do, but we manage to stay at this level for next season, the inquiry doesn't end there - LJ has had time, money and the owner's faith; just staying up isn't a good enough dividend from that investment, and I just hope some part of SL feels the same way.

9 hours ago, samo II said:

To get us out of the mire he's led us into, LJ is using players primarily bought by or even before his predecessor, so not sure your logic fully scans, but okay.

I don't see any evidence of any project, beyond token appearances or bench places for academy players, plus the money we've spent on 'potential' dwarfs that most other, more successful teams have spent on players for the now.  And our most impressive young player (hell; player, full stop) belongs to another club, and I doubt will be here to bail us/LJ out next year; I don't see a promising youth player waiting in the wings to replace him, so I guess we'll need to spend more of SL's money. 

So while I'm keen for us to invest in youth, I also don't find it easy to swallow PR sound bites when contradictory evidence is there to be seen with my own eyes.

I'm glad, nay delighted you are happy for us to be scrapping down the wrong end of the table, after the deepest investment in playing staff (not to mention our stadium) I've seen in my life time, but I'm of a mind we sit in a potentially more worrying situation than even some of our more tumultuous times at this level in recent years.

I hope it comes good, I really do, but we manage to stay at this level for next season, the inquiry doesn't end there - LJ has had time, money and the owner's faith; just staying up isn't a good enough dividend from that investment, and I just hope some part of SL feels the same way.

Lots of points there Samo!

The very difficult situation that was faced by LJ was that of welding so many new players into a cohesive unit.  All these mainly very young men moving to a strange new city and trying to sort out domestic arrangements as well as forming bonds with new colleagues, must have been difficult to manage. Because the loan system changed and emergency loans were no longer available, it was necessary to have a larger squad - and that would mean chaps sitting around and not playing and getting pissed off - more strains with which to wrestle. Then you have the introduction of overseas players - and that cannot have been easy either. Engvall may have had more obvious symptoms but all the European players had to adjust to the rush and bustle of the Championship.  Little wonder that LJ had a difficult time!

I think that if you look at the net cash that was spent after transfer and sell on fees, it was, perhaps one of the lowest in years - leaving me to believe that there may be unspent transfer cash to be carried forward and added to the funds allocated for this next window. Hence it seems entirely possible that we will make a couple of major signings. I would expect these to be younger players in line with the project. Next season, many of the setling in problems will have passed and the squad should be more settled. Lee will know the strengths and weaknesses of his squad to a greater degree than when they were all strangers and we should be able to show an improvement..

Scrapping at the foot of the table is something that none of us want to be involved in - but that is the reality. I would expect us to push on to a more comfortable place next season - certainly around or above the half way mark.  This league is a nightmare with all the parachute payment teams - and the project is designed to combat this by eventually producing a contingent of very good, mobile and hungry young footballers, who have grown up together and are well bonded. The early stages look promising with CO'D, Taylor Moore. Gus Engvall as well as our home grown players.

You seem to think that Rome should be built in a day - but that is unrealistic.  The project will be long term and I would expect us to continue buying younger players and adding value.  We might well have an average age of 24-25 in three years time, which would be young for the Championship - but they may well be contening for the play offs or promotion. That is what we all need and hence my enthusiastic support for SL and LJ - because they are at the heart of Bristol City and I want us to prosper and do well. I believe we are on the right track! COYR!

@Bat Fastard - Due to length, I'm not quoting the full post, and even if I did, I'm not sure I fully agree with you on many/any points you raise, specifically the idea that my position reads as wishing/expecting instant success - I can assure you; my view is quite the opposite, and that is a huge misreading of the points I've raised here, as well as the consistent position I've held on this forum over a great many posts and a long period of time.  I'd ask you not to presume my position in future; I've tried to do similar and base any assumptions of your view on the content of your posts - do not write me off as impatient and thus suggest my arguments are invalid due to this.  They are not.

Raw facts are that LJ has been here now closing on 18 months, and while he has in that time faced many of the circumstances outline in your post, the same can be said of the vast majority of football managers across the land (i.e. the need to integrate new players, pressure of managing a squad etc.), and often others have done this without the benefit of the level of financial and owner backing he has enjoyed, nor indeed the time - and few others have led their well-resourced teams to record numbers of league defeats, and as a result a struggle against relegation.

Again; you talk about integrating players and long term plans, yet our last two starting lineups (and much of our recent resurgence) is not a result of LJ holding his nerve and backing this mythical cadre of young promising players he's brought in - it's a result of falling back on a number of tried and tested campaigners who's time has preceded even him at the club, and those who won't even be here next year, regardless of age.

Several of the expensive young players we signed to much fanfare either fail to even make the squad, or are elsewhere, learning how to play lower league football, while other clubs actually blood their kids - just look at the Championship apprentice of the year; our nominee has never played for the first team, while the winner is scoring goals for Forest and fighting for a staring place each week.

I don't think it is productive to go over and over on this, as you clearly are happy with the current situation, though I acknowledge you hold concerns too.  Essentially; I would accept the league form if it was clear we had a philosophy and commitment to building the sort of bright, young player-centric future you seem to think is in the offing - personally; I think that is bunk, delivered to justify the failings of a manager/coaching team too inexperienced to make that a vision reality, and without the relevant nous at this level to make us truly punch our weight, which in terms of relevant investment and buying power at this level is higher than fighting with Burton and Rotherham and stony broke Blackburn down the bottom.

I'm not asking for promotion, I'm not even asking for top half; I'm asking for some evidence of progression and improvement along the lines we've been repeatedly told is coming, and I'm sorry but I see very little of this, and I'm unconvinced it is on the horizon under our current head coach, though now simply pray I am mistaken.

8 minutes ago, samo II said:

@Bat Fastard - Due to length, I'm not quoting the full post, and even if I did, I'm not sure I fully agree with you on many/any points you raise, specifically the idea that my position reads as wishing/expecting instant success - I can assure you; my view is quite the opposite, and that is a huge misreading of the points I've raised here, as well as the consultant position I've held on this forum over a great many posts and a long period of time.  I'd ask you not to presume my position in future; I've tried to do similar and base any assumptions of your view on the content of your posts - do not write me off as impatient and thus suggest my arguments are invalid due to this.  They are not.

Raw facts are that LJ has been here now closing on 18 months, and while he has in that time faced many of the circumstances outline in your post, the same can be said of the vast majority of football managers across the land (i.e. the need to integrate new players, pressure of managing a squad etc.), and often others have done this without the benefit of the level of financial and owner backing he has enjoyed, nor indeed the time - and few others have led their well-resourced teams to record numbers of league defeats, and as a result a struggle against relegation.

Again; you talk about integrating players and long term plans, yet our last two starting lineups (and much of our recent resurgence) is not a result of LJ holding his nerve and backing this mythical cadre of young promising players he's brought in - it's a result of falling back on a number of tried and tested campaigners who's time has preceded even him at the club, and those who won't even be here next year, regardless of age.

Several of the expensive young players we signed to much fanfare either fail to even make the squad, or are elsewhere, learning how to play lower league football, while other

To sum up. It's his fault when we lose / it's nothing to do with him when we win. Easy really

Just now, samo II said:

@Bat Fastard - Due to length, I'm not quoting the full post, and even if I did, I'm not sure I fully agree with you on many/any points you raise, specifically the idea that my position reads as wishing/expecting instant success - I can assure you; my view is quite the opposite, and that is a huge misreading of the points I've raised here, as well as the consultant position I've held on this forum over a great many posts and a long period of time.  I'd ask you not to presume my position in future; I've tried to do similar and base any assumptions of your view on the content of your posts - do not write me off as impatient and thus suggest my arguments are invalid due to this.  They are not.

Several of the expensive young players we signed to much fanfare either fail to even make the squad, or are elsewhere, learning how to play lower league football, while other

I apologise if I have not followed all the debate on here as closely as I might - in my defence, I tend to dip in and out of the forum between dealing with the various episodes of crisis that is the lot of a carer and smallholder.  There are many views on here and I do not pretend to know which belongs to whom.

I believe that you minimise the problems of SO MANY young and new players as well as the end of the emergency loan system that provided the "get out of jail Card". LJ is still a very young head coach and I believe it is entirely possible that the ambition of SL helped to create this situation. Most managers only end up recruiting half a dozen or so players and have a similar number leaving.  Its all changed in this last season.  Lets just hope that we manage to stay up and can push on next season.  I doubt that there is anything I can say to give you any comfort about LJ and his tenure - like many on here, you seem to pose opinions as facts and never question if they are sound. Anyway - I must go - next crisis is calling!

1 minute ago, AppyDAZE said:

To sum up. His his fault when we lose / it's nothing to do with him when we win. Easy really

It is absolutely his fault when over the course of a season we lose far more games than we win; yes.

Pretty facile reading of what I've said, but each to their own.

Just now, Bat Fastard said:

I apologise if I have not followed all the debate on here as closely as I might - in my defence, I tend to dip in and out of the forum between dealing with the various episodes of crisis that is the lot of a carer and smallholder.  There are many views on here and I do not pretend to know which belongs to whom.

I believe that you minimise the problems of SO MANY young and new players as well as the end of the emergency loan system that provided the "get out of jail Card". LJ is still a very young head coach and I believe it is entirely possible that the ambition of SL helped to create this situation. Most managers only end up recruiting half a dozen or so players and have a similar number leaving.  Its all changed in this last season.  Lets just hope that we manage to stay up and can push on next season.  I doubt that there is anything I can say to give you any comfort about LJ and his tenure - like many on here, you seem to pose opinions as facts and never question if they are sound. Anyway - I must go - next crisis is calling!

Again you make a assumption about me with no evidence ("you seem to pose opinions as fact and never question if they are sound") which suggests you're not really reading what I've said - I'm talking results, performances and measurable outcome, while you talk of speculative difficulties to settle and issues neither of us can speak to, yet I'M the one making assumptions?  Poor form, I must say.

That aside, I of course share your hope we can survive, but it is the future beyond that which you correctly identify as concerning me - things will need to be radically different next year in terms of how we look to integrate this undoubtedly impressive set of young players with our first team if I'm to be convinced LJ isn't just setting us up to have a swathe of new and more expensive Wes Burn-alikes in the squad; youngsters who never get to truly cut their teeth, as the manager continually brings in/brings back seasoned campaigners to cover the cracks.  

On 14/04/2017 at 22:34, downendcity said:

P.P.S There is  something else as tight, if not tighter than Errol Brown's trousers.

Just seen TISWAS do The Bucket of Water Song ( also on 1980s on TOTP!!!) - Sally James's trousers and spangly top are both pleasingly tight!

Tiswas just wouldn't be allowed now..delightful,absolute mayhem...cant believe now that Sally James in suspenders on a Saturday morning kids programme not only happened but didn't cause outrageous response!..

The world has changed.

50 minutes ago, samo II said:

@Bat Fastardyou talk about integrating players and long term plans, yet our last two starting lineups (and much of our recent resurgence) is not a result of LJ holding his nerve and backing this mythical cadre of young promising players he's brought in - it's a result of falling back on a number of tried and tested campaigners who's time has preceded even him at the club, and those who won't even be here next year, regardless of age.

Several of the expensive young players we signed to much fanfare either fail to even make the squad, or are elsewhere, learning how to play lower league football, while other clubs actually blood their kids - just look at the Championship apprentice of the year; our nominee has never played for the first team, while the winner is scoring goals for Forest and fighting for a staring place each week.

I think this is right and is a worrying sign that the Project is showing no signs of working. We have bought the likes of Magnusson and O'Dowda but in reality turn to the old L1 stalwarts when under pressure. LJ publicly is saying he doesn't trust the youngsters to perform and yet SL seems to think Lee is on board with his plan and is therefore worth keeping.

As far as I can see LJ only chucked a couple of youngsters in at the end of last season when we were safe from the drop. He has given the likes of Vyner and O'Dowda a few games but drops them. I see no real evidence that he has any commitment to playing and developing young players.

I am also concerned the recent improvement in results is despite, not because, of LJ. Once we are safe I fear the effort level will drop off and we will, once again, see the effect of divisions behind the scenes on the pitch. While we may scrape by this season I can see a massive struggle coming next season unless something is done to change direction. By which I mean sign some quality, experienced Championship players and manager.

2 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

Tiswas just wouldn't be allowed now..delightful,absolute mayhem...cant believe now that Sally James in suspenders on a Saturday morning kids programme not only happened but didn't cause outrageous response!..

The world has changed.

She certainly caused response - I don't think outrageous would describe it though ;)

6 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

The world has changed.

Was it a kids programme then? I never knew that!

5 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

I think this is right and is a worrying sign that the Project is showing no signs of working. We have bought the likes of Magnusson and O'Dowda but in reality turn to the old L1 stalwarts when under pressure. LJ publicly is saying he doesn't trust the youngsters to perform and yet SL seems to think Lee is on board with his plan and is therefore worth keeping.

As far as I can see LJ only chucked a couple of youngsters in at the end of last season when we were safe from the drop. He has given the likes of Vyner and O'Dowda a few games but drops them. I see no real evidence that he has any commitment to playing and developing young players.

I am also concerned the recent improvement in results is despite, not because, of LJ. Once we are safe I fear the effort level will drop off and we will, once again, see the effect of divisions behind the scenes on the pitch. While we may scrape by this season I can see a massive struggle coming next season unless something is done to change direction. By which I mean sign some quality, experienced Championship players and manager.

I suppose the form from February to October was also despite LJ then?

If anything, going back to the players with more experience and who did the job in the relegation fight last year makes far more sense than chucking in the young players signed this year.

15 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

I don't agree with this going back to predecessor stalwarts to trust. I'll go through the line up with my thoughts:

Fielding - Johnson has tried to strengthen this area and I'd agree that he's had to go back to Frankie as his signings in this position haven't worked.

Little - as above

Flint - started every game this season and last. Johnson clearly likes Flint otherwise he would be starting Magnussen and Wright every game so don't think it's fair to say LJ is going back Flint. I believe Mags was brought in with the future in mind and LJ favours Flint at this stage and is probably preparing for life without Flint if he gets a big move.

Wright - LJ signing and the general consensus on here (I think) seems to be that he's a good player and happy with the signing

Bryan - similar to Flint, LJ has put a lot of faith in Bryan even bigging him up as a potential PL left back in the future. LJ has not tried to significantly strengthen LB area so would describe Bryan as a LJ player in that he wants to move forward with him.

Brownhill - LJ signing. Young and shown promise this season.

Pack - I believe that LJ has tried to improve on Pack by bringing in O'Neil and Hegeler so as with Fielding and Little I would describe this as LJ going back to old signings. Personally I'm a big fan of Pack and have been disappointed by his lack of chances this season for a consistent run of games.

Smith - Not a LJ signing here but he signed him at Oldham and going by praise in interviews I think LJ would be trying to sign Smith if he wasn't already here so would describe him a LJ player.

Paterson - LJ signing in the summer. Hot and cold this season but when he's on form he looks a good player so if we could find a way of getting consistent performances like the last 2 games over a season from him he could turn out to be a bargain.

Abraham - again a player LJ worked very hard to get in over the summer and has been the signing of the season in the whole of the SBC this season.

Taylor - LJ Jan signing taking a while to adapt but looks like an intelligent player in terms of his off the ball movement as well as some of his link up play even if his first touch seems rather lacking at the moment.

To summarise I've seen comments by a few people on different threads since Friday saying LJ reverting back to L1 winning players as his new signings haven't worked. I don't think this is fair as a number of players (Flint, Smith and Bryan) are players that LJ didn't have plans to replace last summer and saw them in his first team plans this season. Admittedly, LJ has had to go back to Little, Fielding and Pack after LJ has tried to replace them this season (rightfully IMO with the exception of Pack who I rate) with signings that haven't really worked out - e.g. Geifer for FF, GON/JH for Pack and AM for Little. However, the remainder of the line up above are very much LJ signings so saying that he's had to revert back to the L1 team for inspiration is premature and looking at it too simply.

4 hours ago, joeyb said:

I don't agree with this going back to predecessor stalwarts to trust. I'll go through the line up with my thoughts:

Fielding - Johnson has tried to strengthen this area and I'd agree that he's had to go back to Frankie as his signings in this position haven't worked.

Little - as above

Flint - started every game this season and last. Johnson clearly likes Flint otherwise he would be starting Magnussen and Wright every game so don't think it's fair to say LJ is going back Flint. I believe Mags was brought in with the future in mind and LJ favours Flint at this stage and is probably preparing for life without Flint if he gets a big move.

Wright - LJ signing and the general consensus on here (I think) seems to be that he's a good player and happy with the signing

Bryan - similar to Flint, LJ has put a lot of faith in Bryan even bigging him up as a potential PL left back in the future. LJ has not tried to significantly strengthen LB area so would describe Bryan as a LJ player in that he wants to move forward with him.

Brownhill - LJ signing. Young and shown promise this season.

Pack - I believe that LJ has tried to improve on Pack by bringing in O'Neil and Hegeler so as with Fielding and Little I would describe this as LJ going back to old signings. Personally I'm a big fan of Pack and have been disappointed by his lack of chances this season for a consistent run of games.

Smith - Not a LJ signing here but he signed him at Oldham and going by praise in interviews I think LJ would be trying to sign Smith if he wasn't already here so would describe him a LJ player.

Paterson - LJ signing in the summer. Hot and cold this season but when he's on form he looks a good player so if we could find a way of getting consistent performances like the last 2 games over a season from him he could turn out to be a bargain.

Abraham - again a player LJ worked very hard to get in over the summer and has been the signing of the season in the whole of the SBC this season.

Taylor - LJ Jan signing taking a while to adapt but looks like an intelligent player in terms of his off the ball movement as well as some of his link up play even if his first touch seems rather lacking at the moment.

To summarise I've seen comments by a few people on different threads since Friday saying LJ reverting back to L1 winning players as his new signings haven't worked. I don't think this is fair as a number of players (Flint, Smith and Bryan) are players that LJ didn't have plans to replace last summer and saw them in his first team plans this season. Admittedly, LJ has had to go back to Little, Fielding and Pack after LJ has tried to replace them this season (rightfully IMO with the exception of Pack who I rate) with signings that haven't really worked out - e.g. Geifer for FF, GON/JH for Pack and AM for Little. However, the remainder of the line up above are very much LJ signings so saying that he's had to revert back to the L1 team for inspiration is premature and looking at it too simply.

Looking at it simply, he's bought in a shed load of players and doesn't seem to of improved us as a team or squad since we started our latest championship journey. That's bloody disappointing. I hope he's learned from his mistakes and that we can all look forward to our European adventure as he suggested :whistle:

If we're giving an honest assessment of Lee Johnson during our abysmal run, lets not forget there were many games that we winning for long periods. 

You can't necessarily blame the selection or the way the team was set up in games against Reading, Cardiff, Derby and the many other leads we gave away.

Clearly something worked during that bad spell, which was being undone by something not working.

Archived