IGNORED

1997 - 1998 video part 3

1960maaan

This is turning into a long running saga, didn't realise how many highlights there were for this year. I guess promotion , improved local coverage and the media interest in the Watford/Taylor and Ward/City thing helped. So here's part 3 November to May.

While I wait for Youtube to sort part 4, the run in , I thought I'd add some info. @BobBobSuperBob was right about Man City coming down, won 5-2 at Stoke and still got relegated, the Leagues look interesting and different in hindsight. We swapped with Man City,Stoke and Reading , how times change

Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 09.50.58.png

One point I just checked. In the football league , goals scored is taken over goal difference. That's why Sheff Utd made the Playoff's and not Birmingham.
So that means, Stockport were 9 points off the playoff's for the Prem !!

Also , and heres a spoiler alert, here below are the playoff results. Sadly :laughcont: the squatters squandered a 3-1 lead to Northampton who went on to lose to Grimsby at Wembley.

Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 09.49.13.png

Those tables show how cyclical sport can be.

Looking at that Div 1 table, 17 of the 24 clubs have since gone on to play in the Prem. Two others are now non League whilst Oxford dropped out, but have since regained League status.

The clubs finishing 20 - 23rd in 3rd Div table have since gone on to playin the Prem. 15 of the 24 (including those finishing 2nd to 7th) have dropped into the Conference, but most are back in the League. City even played four of those 24 teams in the season just ended.

20 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

While I wait for Youtube to sort part 4, the run in , I thought I'd add some info. @BobBobSuperBob was right about Man City coming down, won 5-2 at Stoke and still got relegated, the Leagues look interesting and different in hindsight. We swapped with Man City,Stoke and Reading , how times change

Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 09.50.58.png

One point I just checked. In the football league , goals scored is taken over goal difference. That's why Sheff Utd made the Playoff's and not Birmingham.
So that means, Stockport were 9 points off the playoff's for the Prem !!

Also , and heres a spoiler alert, here below are the playoff results. Sadly :laughcont: the squatters squandered a 3-1 lead to Northampton who went on to lose to Grimsby at Wembley.

Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 09.49.13.png

Still one of the funniest gifts from the Gas that one.  My parents best friend had already booked his minibus after the first leg. 

1 hour ago, Tomarse said:

Still one of the funniest gifts from the Gas that one.  My parents best friend had already booked his minibus after the first leg. 

I remember being gutted after the first leg, I mean they were never going to throw THAT lead away , were they :bounce:

I well remember Sean Taylor's diving header against Grinsby. Superb cross from Tinnion,

Seeing those games again reminded me of how deadly Goater was and how poor Greg Goodridge was in front of goal.The amount of chances he missed..........:facepalm:

Nice trip down memory lane ........

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I remember being gutted after the first leg, I mean they were never going to throw THAT lead away , were they :bounce:

They had it at 3-0 in the first leg and let in what seemed a late innocuous goal.  They were very full of it after the first leg.  Will they ever learn?

Archived