IGNORED

LJ speaks..

ColeCiderRed

46 minutes ago, BigTone said:

In which case it should have been enforced by the club.

Perhaps the club tried to enforce this, and that antagonised Tomlin because he was not prepared to do so and if so, would not have helped his relationship with the club and LJ.

I have a 3 hour drive when I go back to Bristol and there is no way, at the end of such a journey, that I would be in a  mental or physical state to then embark on a day's training as our players have to do. If he was doing a 6 hour round trip, 5 days a week, then come Saturday he would be knackered and I cannot imagine he would be able to perform for 90 minutes on match day.

Tomlin returned to pre-season last year obviously overweight, then add in that he was obviously not prepared to move closer to Bristol, as was discussed with him when agreeing his contract, and his commitment to the club doesn't seem that great.

This isn't about LJ, it's about Tomlin's attitude and commitment to his employer.

Just so people can make their own minds up - here's the transcript of the offending piece regarding 'building the team around Tomlin' from June 22nd this year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40365441

Lee Johnson: Lee Tomlin still in Bristol City plans, says head coach

Bristol City boss Lee Johnson insists that playmaker Lee Tomlin remains in his plans for the Championship club.

The 28-year-old former Middlesbrough and Bournemouth forward had appeared to suggest on social media on 29 May that he was leaving the Robins this summer.

"Been a pleasure to wear the shirt, THANK YOU so much to everyone," Tomlin had posted on Instagram and Twitter.

But Johnson, whose side finished 17th in 2016-17, told BBC Radio Bristol: "He is here. Of course he is in our plans."

The head coach added: "I signed Lee Tomlin because I wanted to build around him and I believed in the talent and the personality.

"There is no doubt he had challenges in his life last year. But we're always here for him. We want to make sure the best Lee Tomlin is out there playing on the pitch.

"He has to make sure he conforms to everything that's part of that Bristol City ethos. If he does, if we can get him right, he's a top player."

Tomlin, who arrived for an undisclosed fee in July 2016, scored six goals in 38 league appearances in his first season with the Ashton Gate club.

The important bit for me is the bit i've put in bold which is in the past tense. He doesn't say 'I want to build the team around Tomlin this season' which is the interpretation people are alluding to on this thread. It's important to make that distinction I think before bashing LJ for this one. 

It's clearly also an answer to a direct question he was asked, he's not just randomly come out in the media and said it.

16 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

If he had said a month ago that Tomlin doesn't fit the culture of the club everybody would've known we were trying to sell him is my point

According to Warnock we weren't interested in selling him, we were possibly going to let him go out on loan, for a substantial loan fee. Cardiff then upped there offer and hey presto!

14 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I think LJ won't put up with people not trying or players thinking about forcing a move elsewhere. As soon as Kodjia hinted at Scunthorpe we sold him, same with Freeman, Paterson dropped when he wasn't deemed to have been working hard enough (even Paterson admitted this in an interview and that it made him realise what he needed to do in future) and now Tomlin being sold instead of loaned. 

Very good point! How many times have we had players take the pi** out of our club just picking up their wages? Hunt, Bridges, Stewart etc. 

I'm not for or against LJ but you have to say fair play to him for getting rid of a perceived bad egg and getting good money for him

13 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

"There is no doubt he had challenges in his life last year. But we're always here for him. We want to make sure the best Lee Tomlin is out there playing on the pitch.

See you point Phil, but then he waffles into this which is present tense. As I said before LJ is a public relations nightmare and would be best to watch what he says.  That is my main bugbear in all this.

59 minutes ago, RedM said:

My understanding is that she had commitments in the Leicester area so couldn't move down here. He was noticeable how he didn't travel with the squad after games, he'd get into his car which had been driven to away grounds for him and off he'd go. He seemed very much outside the squad socially which can't help if you are you are playing a team game.

As his employee what could the club do about it? You can't force someone to move where they live.

And even if there was clause in his contract that was Bennet broken, what can the club do? Terminating his contract would only be an option if you are willing to give up a transfer fee.

But to be honest, as long as he is turning up as needed on time, I think the club would struggle to terminate his contract.

1 minute ago, BigTone said:

See you point Phil, but then he waffles into this which is present tense. As I said before LJ is a public relations nightmare and would be best to watch what he says.

Interestingly he then mentions the need to 'conform to the Bristol City ethos' which may include the relocation thing.

He did not say 'I am going to build the team around him this season' though, which is what is being debated.

I agree he should be a bit more careful with what he says. I think lots of it is naivety really which he can hopefully learn from. The 'we're friends really' Tomlin interview from last season was eye-wateringly awful PR.

3 minutes ago, RightUpInCider said:

As his employee what could the club do about it? You can't force someone to move where they live.

And even if there was clause in his contract that was Bennet broken, what can the club do? Terminating his contract would only be an option if you are willing to give up a transfer fee.

But to be honest, as long as he is turning up as needed on time, I think the club would struggle to terminate his contract.

And if there was a clause I doubt it would be enforceable in law anyway. It`s not like a job that requires you to live on site or something.

10 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Interestingly he then mentions the need to 'conform to the Bristol City ethos' which may include the relocation thing.

He did not say 'I am going to build the team around him this season' though, which is what is being debated.

I agree he should be a bit more careful with what he says. I think lots of it is naivety really which he can hopefully learn from. The 'we're friends really' Tomlin interview from last season was eye-wateringly awful PR.

It can be construed 2 ways. If I buy a picture for my lounge because "I wanted to add a bit of colour" doesn't mean it doesn't still add colour.

With regards the ethos / relocation thing I agree 100% but it is down to the club to ensure that clauses in contracts are enforced in full. If you allow people to break their contractural obligations it makes them confident they can continue to do so without recourse. Others then think they can do likewise and a problem can fester. This is a management problem pure and simple.

Last season some of the interviews given were cringeworthy. This season is starting in exactly the same vein.

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

And if there was a clause I doubt it would be enforceable in law anyway. It`s not like a job that requires you to live on site or something.

You can force someone to move to the location of the job but you've gotta offer more money I think or there's some legal aspect. You can't offer equal money and incentives and force someone to move, my brother was almost forced to Plymouth by his company and fought them. 

1 minute ago, BigTone said:

It can be construed 2 ways. If I buy a picture for my lounge because "I wanted to add a bit of colour" doesn't mean it doesn't still add colour.

With regards the ethos / relocation thing I agree 100% but it is down to the club to ensure that clauses in contracts are enforced in full. If you allow people to break their contractural obligations it makes them confident they can continue to do so without recourse. Others then think they can do likewise and a problem can fester. This is a management problem pure and simple.

Last season some of the interviews given were cringeworthy. This season is starting in exactly the same vein

I have turned down jobs because I don't want to relocate but it has been my decision. my wife buys pictures because I don't give a flying F.

7 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

You can force someone to move to the location of the job but you've gotta offer more money I think or there's some legal aspect. You can't offer equal money and incentives and force someone to move, my brother was almost forced to Plymouth by his company and fought them. 

If a person agrees to a clause in their contract stating they will relocate then that is it, simple as.

2 minutes ago, reddoh said:

I have turned down jobs because I don't want to relocate but it has been my decision. my wife buys pictures because I don't give a flying F.

That's the point isn't it. You said no and rightly so if you don't want to. A person signs a contract agreeing that they will relocate then that is a different thing especially if they then refuse.

My wife's favourite colour is black so I don't let her decorate else our place would look like a funeral parlour !

3 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Can someone please explain what the culture of this club actually is?

Don't threaten to knock the manager out, don't train like a Sunday league player, don't advertise a god awful clothing brand.

1 minute ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Can someone please explain what the culture of this club actually is?

Sit down, shut up and do as we I say or leave ?

1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

If he had said a month ago that Tomlin doesn't fit the culture of the club everybody would've known we were trying to sell him is my point

The question is: why the frick did we buy him? We even had a 'try before you buy' deal and in 4 months LJ/MA didn't detect that Tomlin may not fit the culture of the club.

Recruitment/DNA failure I'm afraid.

Just now, BigTone said:

That's the point isn't it. You said no and rightly so if you don't want to. A person signs a contract agreeing that they will relocate then that is a different thing especially if they then refuse.

My wife's favourite colour is black so I don't let her decorate else our place would look like a funeral parlour !

a contract in football is totally different too any I have signed but I might like your wife  what's her DNA like?

54 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

If it hadn't been our 2nd fav team and a manager who (love him or loathe him) has a great track record at this level, plus who compared Tomlin to Tarrabt who played a massive part getting QPR promoted, would it be less of an issue?

or to put it another way, if he'd joined say Norwich, would've anybody be as bothered?

not trying to stir, just interested......

To be honest I'm just glad he's gone and couldn't give a toss where

1 minute ago, reddoh said:

a contract in football is totally different too any I have signed but I might like your wife  what's her DNA like?

My contracts also with the main difference being no one has paid millions for my services or given me a tasty sign on fee.

As for my Wife you are welcome to take her on a free 12 month trial.

DOLLY I'M FREE !!

Archived