IGNORED

LJ speaks..

ColeCiderRed

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The question is: why the frick did we buy him? We even had a 'try before you buy' deal and in 4 months LJ/MA didn't detect that Tomlin may not fit the culture of the club.

Recruitment/DNA failure I'm afraid.

Yeah it makes a mockery of the system I completely agree. How you can let someone so toxic join the club without knowing about their habits from previous employers I do not know. You always hear after a new signing they've done their due diligence. With Tomlin clearly it didn't happen.

You'd hope they've learnt a valuable lesson although with Engvall's situation I do fear we are doomed to repeat the occasional terrible signing. I guess it's normal for most clubs though. 

Just now, BigTone said:

My contracts also with the main difference being no one has paid millions for my services or given me a tasty sign on fee.

As for my Wife you are welcome to take her on a free 12 month trial.

DOLLY I'M FREE !!

a 12 month loan , with a view to marring in a year but you have a buy back clause if you and Dolly don't work out.

7 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Yeah it makes a mockery of the system I completely agree. How you can let someone so toxic join the club without knowing about their habits from previous employers I do not know. You always hear after a new signing they've done their due diligence. With Tomlin clearly it didn't happen.

You'd hope they've learnt a valuable lesson although with Engvall's situation I do fear we are doomed to repeat the occasional terrible signing. I guess it's normal for most clubs though. 

Smacks of an SL led with MA/LJ support vanity signing in the mold of the David James signing. 

No proper consideration of where Tomlin will actually fit into the club/team long term but cus the fans liked him for a few months let's go and take a massive gamble in order to please them.

Like you say, hopefully lessons learnt.

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

Quite frankly I take anything our Head Coach says with a grain of salt. If there was a clause in Tomlin's contract stating he must move closer then why didn't the club enforce this ?  Also, as Petehinton says surely he was doing the same last season. More bullshit from LJ I think to try and justify his decision.

If you're going to imply he is lying you need some contrary evidence. A copy of the contract would be ideal.:whistle:

But how do you enforce it short of sending in some heavies to physically drag him here? You can perhaps tell him he either does what he has signed up for or he will be dropped and/or sold.

12 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The question is: why the frick did we buy him? We even had a 'try before you buy' deal and in 4 months LJ/MA didn't detect that Tomlin may not fit the culture of the club.

Recruitment/DNA failure I'm afraid.

Did u want the club to buy him even after the summer of crypticTomlin tweets etc? Not saying you're necessarily wrong about the DNA thing btw. If you didn't fair enough, or was it a case of trusting the club then but not now? You're a thoughtful poster even if i don't agree with everything u post, so genuinely interested to know

6 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Did u want the club to buy him even after the summer of crypticTomlin tweets etc? Not saying you're necessarily wrong about the DNA thing btw. If you didn't fair enough, or was it a case of trusting the club then but not now? You're a thoughtful poster even if i don't agree with everything u post, so genuinely interested to know

I'm afraid I was against us signing Tomlin permanently mate as I felt he would be an unnecessary disruptive influence so can claim hindsight on this one!

2 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Club spin, where did he live? (otherside of Bristol if it took 3hrs to get there) how many times did he not turn up for training, how many times was he late? how many of our players live in Bristol? Nothing but nice questions asked by the management to the management.

Why was LJ not asked if any more signings are due? before the season starts;

I very much doubt that moving closer to Bristol was in any part of his contract....seems to me already its; wasn't me I didn't do it, not the first time blame is shifted.

As the second person I have seen on this thread suggesting he is lying, can you offer any evidence?

If somebody I employed refused to comply with their contract I would certainly get rid. If I didn't I would expect the rest of my my employees to be resentful of him getting special treatment.

Aside from serious misconduct it's hard to think of a stronger reason for dismissal.

20 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Smacks of an SL led with MA/LJ support vanity signing in the mold of the David James signing. 

No proper consideration of where Tomlin will actually fit into the club/team long term but cus the fans liked him for a few months let's go and take a massive gamble in order to please them.

That's exactly what I think it was.

Good photo op for Mark Ashton, LJ (perhaps naively) takes on one of the most talented yet mercurial players in the league and SL gets his marquee signing.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I meant how can one rule apply to one and not another?

If Tomlin was being expected to move here, then why wasn't he?

Still not sure about this injury stuff with him to be honest and would not be at all surprised if he is back up "that London" by August 31st...

Portsmouth.  I wonder how many games the two of them started together after August.  Just saying :whistle:

1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

If he said all that then nobody would pay £2.9m cause it would be obvious we wanted to ship him.

This

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

No, the statement made was that we wanted to build a team around Tomlin. How is that obvious we want to ship him ?

Go on.....

If he had said a month ago that Tomlin doesn't fit the culture of the club everybody would've known we were trying to sell him is my point

This

And he didn't need to say anything is my point

Good point, but this is Lee Johnson, who talks too much.  What do you expect.

A month ago or now. Our Head Coach is a public relations nightmare.

Yep, quell surprisé, as they say in Francais 

I agree that sometimes he needs to be more like a politician and simply avoid answering questions because a couple of times it's come to make him look a tad silly. Personally I feel people are overreacting, I find him much more easier to listen to than the average used car salesman-esque manager. 

See above, talks too much about players.

Imo we were always going to try to sell him after what happened. The sizeable loan fee was simply a hint to Cardiff that they may as well buy him rather than loan. LJ tried his best to keep everything in house and play it down. Then we managed to secure a deal and sell our most "talented" player. I don't see why everyone's up in arms about LJ's handling of the situation. 

He even had a dig at Tomlin when he left.

I think LJ won't put up with people not trying or players thinking about forcing a move elsewhere. As soon as Kodjia hinted at Scunthorpe we sold him, same with Freeman, Paterson dropped when he wasn't deemed to have been working hard enough (even Paterson admitted this in an interview and that it made him realise what he needed to do in future) and now Tomlin being sold instead of loaned. 

I think that in retrospect they'd have got rid of him in the winter window, but it would either have been at a knock-down price, or loan, with us picking up a proportion of his wages.  We knew the summer would give us best chance.  Shame we had to play a game second half of the season, even the 30 minutes v Brum.

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Great 'leadership' would have been leaving him out and out the squad a long time before he did - he kept picking him and only left him out when relegation was firmly knocking - then kept picking him on bench and even let him have a waddle round against Brum

Great leadership ?

:no:

Great leader / leadership and LJ don't really correlate IMO

I'm inclined to agree with your first point but then again an awful lot of fans would have been outraged. Bit of a no win situation.

Given Tomlin's track record, signing him was a risk that backfired. Most managers seem to think they can tame mavericks but usually fail. Add LJ to the list.

I'm just relieved we seem to have got a decent fee. Though we need to reinvest it asap, preferably in a player with more character.

Just now, Davefevs said:

I think that in retrospect they'd have got rid of him in the winter window, but it would either have been at a knock-down price, or loan, with us picking up a proportion of his wages.  We knew the summer would give us best chance.  Shame we had to play a game second half of the season, even the 30 minutes v Brum.

It would have been career suicide to sell Tomlin in January, fans would've gone apeshit.

4 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

It would have been career suicide to sell Tomlin in January, fans would've gone apeshit.

Not so sure - many knew about the Huddersfield antics and most with their eyes open would have seen it as necessary

I think@Davefevs is closer to the mark - i.e. Difficult to shift him in January without losing more money than we have

I agree that sometimes he needs to be more like a politician and simply avoid answering questions because a couple of times it's come to make him look a tad silly. Personally I feel people are overreacting, I find him much more easier to listen to than the average used car salesman-esque manager. 

Perhaps, and I think he tends to be a bit too open, but if he refused to explain he would be attacked for that too.

40 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

You have a point I think. Certainly seen as a way of pleasing the fans, often the basis for a bad decision.

Generally speaking it's best to do what you think is right not what is popular imo.

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Perhaps, and I think he tends to be a bit too open, but if he refused to explain he would be attacked for that too.

Truth is it doesn't really matter that he's being attacked for one reason or another. The point is the people who are doing it are just dimwits on a forum with a tiny gene pool. So in the grand scheme of things, and to put it into perspective "it's not really a problem" . He has plenty of support from the average fan, and of course the board. 

8 minutes ago, john from high littleton said:

Truth is it doesn't really matter that he's being attacked for one reason or another. The point is the people who are doing it are just dimwits on a forum with a tiny gene pool. So in the grand scheme of things, and to put it into perspective "it's not really a problem" . He has plenty of support from the average fan, and of course the board. 

Let us know when the operation is and how you get on 

Archived