IGNORED

Baldock and Intimidating grounds

sglosbcfc

Brighton supporting mate of mine told me that he had heard Baldock was on his way back to City. I can't find any mention on this site. Whilst looking on the Brighton forum I found a thread entitled 'most intimidating grounds'. Not surprisingly Brighton fans listed Millwall most frequently but there were also quite a few mentions of us. I can't recall any problems between City and Brighton fans at Ashton Gate in the past 30 odd years but obviously I've missed stuff based on their memories.

Don't think there's ever been anything... It's all down to perception. Talking to Brighton fans before and after our famous victory at the Amex in April many felt that the level of verbal onslaught against them at AG was scary, whereas Wolves fans thought it "great banter" They should man up.....no pun intended

1 hour ago, City Cat said:

Thought it was very strange, why would he get to the Premiership and then move away. The Brighton fan heard it from a mate of his who is usually reliable. I've not heard anything with regards problems behind the scenes with Baldock so I guess there is nothing in it.

6 hours ago, City Cat said:

Don't think there's ever been anything... It's all down to perception. Talking to Brighton fans before and after our famous victory at the Amex in April many felt that the level of verbal onslaught against them at AG was scary, whereas Wolves fans thought it "great banter" They should man up.....no pun intended

Yes it does always surprise and irritate me when City fans talk about a lack of atmosphere at Ashton Gate. I think to most of the footballing world we are one of the more atmospheric English grounds. Still surprised though that a club like Brighton would see us as one of the most intimidating.

11 minutes ago, shelts said:

I don't think they particularly liked our homophobic chants

They usually take those in the spirit of banter, with which they are meant and indeed, respond with their own ironic replies, kind of like Cardiff do regarding their relations with sheep. 

44 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Thought it was very strange, why would he get to the Premiership and then move away. The Brighton fan heard it from a mate of his who is usually reliable. I've not heard anything with regards problems behind the scenes with Baldock so I guess there is nothing in it.

Personally I never thought Baldock was a top striker. Over rated in my view. 

If the rumour was true I'd be very underwhelmed.

7 hours ago, City Cat said:

Think it was last season some of theirs came in late making a noise whilst there was a minutes silence ? Didn't go down well.

9 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Not surprisingly Brighton fans listed Millwall most frequently but there were also quite a few mentions of us. 

Less than 20 years ago Dario Gradi told the press he was concerned about Ashton Gate's capacity being increased to 25,000 as "That ground has a very intimidating atmosphere for visiting teams".

I must admit when I saw the title of this thread, I thought immediately of Baldock Town FC. The official club site proclaims them to be "Red Army" which some will consider intimidating.

4 minutes ago, 22A said:

Less than 20 years ago Dario Gradi told the press he was concerned about Ashton Gate's capacity being increased to 25,000 as "That ground has a very intimidating atmosphere for visiting teams".

I'm pretty sure Alan Curbishley described Ashton Gate as the most intimidating ground he'd ever visited as well.

6 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I'm pretty sure Alan Curbishley described Ashton Gate as the most intimidating ground he'd ever visited as well.

On it's day, Ashton Gate produces one of the best atmospheres of all English stadiums. 

Of course, that's not every game, week in, week out, although it's generally not bad compared to most other grounds I've been too. 

When it is one of those special matches, it's hard to beat! 

2 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

To be honest I cant imagine he will get many games at that level , I expect the 3 year deal was given so they could sell for an inflated price , around 10 million i daresay . 

10 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Brighton supporting mate of mine told me that he had heard Baldock was on his way back to City. I can't find any mention on this site. Whilst looking on the Brighton forum I found a thread entitled 'most intimidating grounds'. Not surprisingly Brighton fans listed Millwall most frequently but there were also quite a few mentions of us. I can't recall any problems between City and Brighton fans at Ashton Gate in the past 30 odd years but obviously I've missed stuff based on their memories.

their favourite ground is craven cottage I believe.

6 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Was Curbishley in charge of Charlton when they came down for the FA Cup game the round after we'd beaten Liverpool? If so, and I've said it on here before, it was the most intimidating I can remember the old girl. The place was absolutely toxic that day. It was great! 

As for Brighton, again, said it on here before, they've usually bought good numbers with them to the Gate, which always helps the atmosphere. I like to read things like that, always feels a little stale to me nowadays. Nice to know we can still put on a show from time to time

7 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Was Curbishley in charge of Charlton when they came down for the FA Cup game the round after we'd beaten Liverpool? If so, and I've said it on here before, it was the most intimidating I can remember the old girl. The place was absolutely toxic that day. It was great! 

As for Brighton, again, said it on here before, they've usually bought good numbers with them to the Gate, which always helps the atmosphere. I like to read things like that, always feels a little stale to me nowadays. Nice to know we can still put on a show from time to time

Yep Woodsy

Agree - that and the Chelsea FA CUP game two of the most electric / spicy 'atmospheres' outside some of the Sag games

Weird. Charlton were normally nothing special, but it appeared half of London turned out for that one.

I'll never forget -aside from the riot after the match - a guy head butting another City fan, and the crack of a broken nose, just for daring to mildly criticise a player.

Jesz, hope that guy doesn't read OTIB otherwise he'd have gone on a cyber rampage by now and locked up in Barrow. 

Nothing, bar nothing, could beat 'that' Millwall match though. 

30 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Scott Minto I think wasn't getting particular attention from the Enclosure lads!!

22 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Yep Woodsy

Agree - that and the Chelsea FA CUP game two of the most electric / spicy 'atmospheres' outside some of the Sag games

I may have picked up a season ending injury (lets call it a ban, shall we!), which prevented me from going to the Chelsea game! Looking back now, quite how they could have enforced it in those days is beyond me. So young, so naive!!

Just now, glynriley said:

Scott Minto I think wasn't getting particular attention from the Enclosure lads!!

I was on the other side of the ground, I think they all copped some that day. Minto did have lovely hair back in the day though, didn't he! 

5 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Weird. Charlton were normally nothing special, but it appeared half of London turned out for that one.

I'll never forget -aside from the riot after the match - a guy head butting another City fan, and the crack of a broken nose, just for daring to mildly criticise a player.

Jesz, hope that guy doesn't read OTIB otherwise he'd have gone on a cyber rampage by now and locked up in Barrow. 

Nothing, bar nothing, could beat 'that' Millwall match though. 

There were certainly rumours that Chelsea and / or West Ham were in the ground that day as well. Even though we lost that day it really is in my top 5 games at the Gate ever. Proper old school game of football, with an old school atmosphere to match. The good old days

38 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Was that when it kicked off in the park after?

1 minute ago, Woodsy said:

I may have picked up a season ending injury (lets call it a ban, shall we!), which prevented me from going to the Chelsea game! Looking back now, quite how they could have enforced it in those days is beyond me. So young, so naive!!

I was on the other side of the ground, I think they all copped some that day. Minto did have lovely hair back in the day though, didn't he! 

There were certainly rumours that Chelsea and / or West Ham were in the ground that day as well. Even though we lost that day it really is in my top 5 games at the Gate ever. Proper old school game of football, with an old school atmosphere to match. The good old days

Met Hickey and Ginger Terry and a couple of others of Chelsea Headhunters fame in Sardinia some months later at World Cup

Suffice to say they remembered the day well and were shocked at what they encountered 

4 minutes ago, Super said:

Was that when it kicked off in the park after?

Apparently so. I wasn't in or around the park, I'm sure others can confirm for sure

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Met Hickey and Ginger Terry and a couple of others of Chelsea Headhunters fame in Sardinia some months later at World Cup

Suffice to say they remembered the day well and were shocked at what they encountered 

Ha, good to know! Don't want them to think we're a bunch of carrot crunching hicks!

45 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Small point of order: we didn't lose the home game, we lost the replay at the Valley.

54 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

The rumours are/were not true, at least according to the Charlton old boys I know, we are still mocked in certain quarters for perpetuating them. 

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

I'm not sure whether Curbishley was their manager at the time, but Charlton equalised after a certain Scott Minto took a throw in to his own player down at the Open End of the ground rather than returning it to City, who had kicked the ball out following an injury - I can't remember if the injury was to a City player or a Charlton player.

I remember when Charlton scored from the cross, SM turned around and shrugged his shoulders in fake innocence when he started receiving abuse from what was then the enclosure.

It is fair to say that the atmosphere did heat up a little bit after.

Archived