IGNORED

ICYMI Rucksacl/Large Bag ban at AG

I've been to two concerts in the past month, one at Hyde Park and one at the Millennium Stadium Cardiff. On both tickets they said strictly no large bags, Hyde Park actually gave the dimensions in cm of what was acceptable. I 'minimalised' which was a pain as  both were full days out,  not just an evening. At both events my bag was searched, but I was surprised just how many bags larger than what was permitted were let in.

I honestly think they tell people this in the hope that some will take the advice so it's less to search on the night. It's far too much hassle to turn people away than just search the bag and let them in.

I think as long as someone is willing to open their bag that gives a good indication that they probably aren't carrying anything they shouldn't.

9 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Well done the club. I totally support this

Yes, totally. As I am entirely up for every security restriction and check going at airports as I want to minimise my chances of dying mid air from a terrorist bomb.

Though it still should have been better communicated.

Just now, Eddie Hitler said:

Yes, totally. As I am entirely up for every security restriction and check going at airports as I want to minimise my chances of dying mid air from a terrorist bomb.

Though it still should have been better communicated.

Let's hope no-one's thought about Drones, putting a bomb in a cider barrel for one of the bars, crashing into the exiting crowds on the pavement outside, poisoning the pie supply chain, going on a knife rampage etc etc.  

No large bags in AG is just lip service which is designed to make you feel safer whilst actually disrupting law abiding people's lives.  

2 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Anything big enough to conceal a bomb I suppose!

Seriously I expect any bag that is designed to be strapped to one's back will qualify,

Why are people concerned with this though ?....................it's football - beer money, fags, ticket ,phone, all that goes in your pocket.  That's all you need. Carrying anything else is a distraction.

You dont have kids i take it.

2 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Let's hope no-one's thought about Drones, putting a bomb in a cider barrel for one of the bars, crashing into the exiting crowds on the pavement outside, poisoning the pie supply chain, going on a knife rampage etc etc.  

No large bags in AG is just lip service which is designed to make you feel safer whilst actually disrupting law abiding people's lives.  

It isn't just lip service; it's doing what they reasonably can.

As they used to say in my old law classes the test is reasonableness and the example used was could you reasonably prevent someone being killed by a derelict Russian satellite falling on their head? The answer of course being no as you cannot cover every possible eventuality.

You can however prevent rucksack bombs as used by the London underground bombers being brought in so it makes sense, IMHO, to do so.

This does need some clarification from club about the size of bags and any exceptions. I bring my son who has ds, who absolutely fell in love with city last season (it's taken me all close season to try and explain there is no Tammy Tammy this season). I need a bag for spare clothes and a couple of distractions (sweets crisps etc). Whilst I understand the reasoning and support the increased awareness, surely if anybody is happy to have their bag searched it shouldn't be a problem???

10 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

It isn't just lip service; it's doing what they reasonably can.

As they used to say in my old law classes the test is reasonableness and the example used was could you reasonably prevent someone being killed by a derelict Russian satellite falling on their head? The answer of course being no as you cannot cover every possible eventuality.

You can however prevent rucksack bombs as used by the London underground bombers being brought in so it makes sense, IMHO, to do so.

I commuted over London Bridge for years and couldn't believe it when they took the (admittedly flimsy) barriers down to make it prettier, that was always an easy target.  No idea why terrorists hit it at night rather than 7.45am when there's several thousand on the bridge at one time.

I understand the need to be seen to do something but I truly believe that banning large bags will not reduce the risk factor in attending a football match one iota, it will however increase the ball ache for everyone else.

What's the deal with rucksacks rather than other similar sized bags as well, are we bag profiling now?

Don't get it I'm afraid, shows we're not only running scared but also running behind any potential terrorists in terms of where risk lies.

In response to your Russian sattelite analogy I doubt that would actually be trying to kill you, big difference.

1 minute ago, RumRed said:

I commuted over London Bridge for years and couldn't believe it when they took the (admittedly flimsy) barriers down to make it prettier, that was always an easy target.  No idea why terrorists hit it at night rather than 7.45am when there's several thousand on the bridge at one time.

I understand the need to be seen to do something but I truly believe that banning large bags will not reduce the risk factor in attending a football match one iota, it will however increase the ball ache for everyone else.

What's the deal with rucksacks rather than other similar sized bags as well, are we bag profiling now?

Don't get it I'm afraid, shows we're not only running scared but also running behind any potential terrorists in terms of where risk lies.

I entirely understand your view RumRed but in this case happen to disagree and think that the club are correct.

Last time I worked in the City it had the "ring of steel", initially plastic barriers but manned by police, put up after the IRA Baltic Exchange bomb.  People generally accepted it as worthwhile albeit an inconvenience.  I also lived there rather than commuting and heard the explosion where one accidentally blew himself up on a bus one Sunday night.

I don't view it as running scared, just changing a few things to make it harder for terrorists.

3 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I don't view it as running scared, just changing a few things to make it harder for terrorists.

And more profitable for the concessions. Which i'm 100% sure is an incidental perk and wasn't even considered when planning this.

4 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I entirely understand your view RumRed but in this case happen to disagree and think that the club are correct.

Last time I worked in the City it had the "ring of steel", initially plastic barriers but manned by police, put up after the IRA Baltic Exchange bomb.  People generally accepted it as worthwhile albeit an inconvenience.  I also lived there rather than commuting and heard the explosion where one accidentally blew himself up on a bus one Sunday night.

I also see your point of view and I agree with the general idea I just find it tiresome that attacks lead to changes in everyday life, remember when all the public rubbish bins were removed years ago?

This is a reasonable requirement based on threat level advice from the police. It will be a minor inconvenience for some, especially those coming to the match with younger kids as they need a lot of paraphernalia. Just the times we live in though.

I do hope that this means that this item will be available online only and not in the shop at the Gate: http://shop.bristol-sport.co.uk/football/accessories/school/bcfc-backpack-red

This will have the additional benefit of freeing up some space as the club shop is a bit cramped. 

2 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Exactly. My nipper requires waterproofs for him and his wheelchair, extra blankets in winter and other personal items. Would be nice to know which bag shapes, colours and fabrics are permitted to hold such items. 

I know what you mean.  Most of Joe's stuff like his blanket get stuffed down the back of his chair, and I carry a hold-all (over shoulder effort), with flasks, ponchos (always happy in a poncho - boosh fans!), hand warmers etc in.  So we don't need a big bag.

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

So the club have profiled the terror threat and concluded that people with a disability aren't a threat.

Only when I take my dad with me!!  Joe and I never get searched, but then again I think we are recognised - having said that most of the stewards outside the ground say "hi Oskar" to Joe (wheelchair, glasses :P), which he laughs off.

However for the games I take my dad, we always get searched.  He must look shifty :whistle:

So my 3 year old gets bored at half time I take fruit as the club shops only sell chocolate and sweets also a few toys to keep him occupied all in a kids rucksack , I have no problem with a search but if I get turned away then it will just confirm the off field policy is an absolute joke !!! 

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Still dont know what qualifies as a small bag ora large bag.  So long as they are searched, what is the issue?

We shall soon have airport security scanners and x-ray machines.  Followed by no more than100ml of fluid.

My flask of coffee could easily contain a bomb.

Many sporting arenas Wembly, Twickenham etc and  other clubs eg Birmingham make you remove tops of bottles you bring in . Only surprised this hasn't been imposed  at AG yet

19 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Many sporting arenas Wembly, Twickenham etc and  other clubs eg Birmingham make you remove tops of bottles you bring in . Only surprised this hasn't been imposed  at AG yet

I don't mind taking the top of a bottle but what I do object too is being told to discard it and then being charged five times the price inside too replace it

1 hour ago, E.G.Red said:

Take a spare bottle top. 

Do the rules apply to everyone including rugby fans? Including the players, staff, stewards who come from work, catering staff etc etc even steve lansdown. we all gotta be treated equally. 

What about scott murrays laundry bag, that is pretty large isn't it? 

if anything is gonna happen it would happen outside everyone knows that,  

How will this work when say someone has coats in a rucksack for their kids to put on if they get cold during a game?

You get stopped at the turnstiles and are told No Rucksacks. Obviously, you need the coats, so you remove them. You now have an empty rucksack that you can't take in.

......and what if it looks like this?

Rucksack 1.jpg

So I guess if you went to the club shop and came away with an extra large Bristol Sport carrier bag stuffed with merchandise you could get in without problem? That's easy then I'll bring a BS bag every week and carry my drink and chocolate, hoodie etc in that!

10 minutes ago, RedM said:

So I guess if you went to the club shop and came away with an extra large Bristol Sport carrier bag stuffed with merchandise you could get in without problem? That's easy then I'll bring a BS bag every week and carry my drink and chocolate, hoodie etc in that!

rucksack 2.jpg

Archived