IGNORED

ICYMI Rucksacl/Large Bag ban at AG

8 hours ago, Spoons said:

Bs3 a terrioists hot bed of extremists ?? 

World gone mad, can't alter our daily life for low life scum who I wouldn't pee on of they were on fire!

I suspect the people at the Ariadne Grande concert thought the same.

A football match has never been targeted before which makes it vulnerable.

Regarding bag size, I went in with a bag/rucksack designed to hold a drink bladder which is relatively small in rucksack terms and was told it wouldn't be allowed next week. I was also told carrier bags were ok which could carry more than my bag so still a bit confused.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In a way, it's not a huge surprise.

At the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, Champions League final back in June.

No rucksacks- they had storage away from the ground but no rucksacks in the ground.

Theres a massive difference between the champions league final and City v anyone.

I think this is all getting a bit silly - I know there is a threat but unless there is some clear evidence that City or AG is being targeted then I think this is over the top. Your more likly to die on your way to a game than to be killed by a terrorist at any time. These measures don't really make sense to me - there are loads of terrorist opportunities but this seems focused on a bomb in a bag and completely ignores any other possible attack - just moving the problem somewhere else isnt going to help if someone does feel the need to be a terrorist knob.

6 hours ago, Super said:

Who takes a rucksak? Having said that seen a bloke with a suitcase before.

I have done before.

When we played Cheltenham in the JPT I had to skip the afternoon at Uni and wouldn't have any way back home from Cardiff (Uni was in the valleys) until the train at 6am, so I took my laptop in a bag so I could use the 7 hour wait in the middle of the night.

38 minutes ago, boatman said:

Really don't know but I think it need to be safe for everybody.

It won't ever be safe, all we can do is not let it dictate the way we live our lives.

You don't question driving 200 miles to an away match on congested roads in a tin box at 70mph do you?

10 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

I have done before.

When we played Cheltenham in the JPT I had to skip the afternoon at Uni and wouldn't have any way back home from Cardiff (Uni was in the valleys) until the train at 6am, so I took my laptop in a bag so I could use the 7 hour wait in the middle of the night.

Wow! That's some amazing dedication for a JPT game - I'd never go to those lengths for that

9 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

Isn't it a bit ironic that the club shop sells something that you are not permitted to take into the stadium?

Don't know if they still do but they used to sell golf umbrellas which are on a list of banned items. Take the friendly on Friday, my son walked from his office in the City centre in the rain and had his small rucksack type bag with him. Luckily we had time to meet up before the game and put his umbrella and bag in the car. Obviously bus/train travellers cant do this.

I completely understand the security issues, but no reason there can't be a search Instead of a total ban. At Cardiff we were searched in a separate queue and given bag tags to show our bags had been searched, Arsenal ground tours do this too. 

20 hours ago, Chris_Brown said:

@AdamB @Mkelly is this correct? If so, why has it not been publicised? I haven't seen a thing. 

Hi Chris

As someone else has stated, it was in the Guide to the Gate pre-Twente and was on social media as well, but we'll certainly give it more coverage ahead of Barnsley. 

We also asked our stewards and ambassadors to convey the message to fans attending the Twente game, which worked as I see a number of people on this thread were notified in this way. 

Any queries, I'm sure @Mkelly and the stadium team will happily discuss the rationale behind the change. 

Regards

Adam

17 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Still dont know what qualifies as a small bag ora large bag.  So long as they are searched, what is the issue?

We shall soon have airport security scanners and x-ray machines.  Followed by no more than100ml of fluid.

My flask of coffee could easily contain a bomb.

They could have a basket like they do when checking your held luggage in at the airport , if you bag don't fit into the basket it as to go into the hold.

Regarding scanners and x-ray machines I'm thinking only a matter of time, I remember going yo Upton Park in the late 80s and going through security scanners.

30 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Wow! That's some amazing dedication for a JPT game - I'd never go to those lengths for that

Nothing compared to Cardiff away in the first season up!

Had to leave 10 hours before kickoff for a game 10 miles away!

Because tickets had to be picked up at a services (about 5 miles from my uni and I don't drive, no-one I knew had the day free from lectures (Monday evening game).

So it was a train to Cardiff, change to Bristol, then all the way back on CATS.

A journey to rival NTTDS's infamous one, except I did see the game!

Edit- And then there was the JPT Final, left my flat at uni at 5.30am on the Sunday, got home at 7am on the Monday, though partly my own fault.

So my missus has a season ticket, and turns up straight from work on a Saturday with all her work clobber, and in her work clothes. Now she cannot do that and will have to go home first potentially missing most of the first half. She has no option to leave her kit in work, and needs a bag big enough to carry all the stuff you need for an 8 hour shift driving, including food and drink as well as different layers of clothing. I told her this morning about the new rule and now she is on about not going at all. So that was a waste of a season ticket, which was a gamble (in terms of last seasons form) anyway. Last year she had her bag searched every single time we entered the stadium area, which was never a problem for us or the stewards, and I never noticed a mile long queue behind us once the bag had been looked at. Obviously people will moan, as we all dislike change, but sometimes there are valid reasons why somebody may have a rucsac with them. Now I wonder what the outrage and indignation levels would be if public transport operators banned rucsacs.

6 minutes ago, GreedyHarry said:

So my missus has a season ticket, and turns up straight from work on a Saturday with all her work clobber, and in her work clothes. Now she cannot do that and will have to go home first potentially missing most of the first half. She has no option to leave her kit in work, and needs a bag big enough to carry all the stuff you need for an 8 hour shift driving, including food and drink as well as different layers of clothing. I told her this morning about the new rule and now she is on about not going at all. So that was a waste of a season ticket, which was a gamble (in terms of last seasons form) anyway. Last year she had her bag searched every single time we entered the stadium area, which was never a problem for us or the stewards, and I never noticed a mile long queue behind us once the bag had been looked at. Obviously people will moan, as we all dislike change, but sometimes there are valid reasons why somebody may have a rucsac with them. Now I wonder what the outrage and indignation levels would be if public transport operators banned rucsacs.

Surely a big strong clear plastic bag would suffice for her work clothes?

6 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Surely a big strong clear plastic bag would suffice for her work clothes?

Ta, although I think she would look a bit silly wearing a big strong clear plastic bag over the top of them. I will suggest it though, and then take the dog for a very long walk!

46 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Nothing compared to Cardiff away in the first season up!

Had to leave 10 hours before kickoff for a game 10 miles away!

Because tickets had to be picked up at a services (about 5 miles from my uni and I don't drive, no-one I knew had the day free from lectures (Monday evening game).

So it was a train to Cardiff, change to Bristol, then all the way back on CATS.

A journey to rival NTTDS's infamous one, except I did see the game!

Edit- And then there was the JPT Final, left my flat at uni at 5.30am on the Sunday, got home at 7am on the Monday, though partly my own fault.

That is dedication mate. I thought my drive down and back from working in Matlock to AG for a JPT game v Brighton (?) in a snowstorm took some beating. I had to walk the last half mile back to my digs in Cromford as the road was blocked.

The best of it was, there wasn`t a sign it had even been snowing the next morning!

1 minute ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Use a pannier instead?

Could do but would mean fitting a rack and buying a pannier. It's also detachable / nickable. I guess if push comes to shove I just lock my rucksack to my bike and carry my stuff into the ground.

Archived