IGNORED

Eliasson Signs!

ChilternRed

Looks to be a promising addition to the squad and personally I'm excited to see him play. Not sure what it means for O'Dowda's chances of starting many games but they'll at least be pushing each other for the shirt which can only be a good thing. 

I'm somewhat perplexed by JM's post match interviews in which he dodged questions about incoming players, and specifically denied any knowledge about Eliasson. This despite the fact he'd signed earlier in the day.

5 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I'd resisted watching the scouting video on him until now. 

He does look very "Ronaldo-esque"

Not enough wide players produce a regular quality delivery. Certainly appears he can. 

Like to drop deep & drift into pokeys of space to open teams up and he's certainly got a shot on him!

You can't beat a good winger who likes to go past his marker. 

I'm excited to see what he can do here now! 

He's gonna add a few thousand to the attendance if he can recreate that quality in the championship. Looks a gifted young player who packs a shot, an upgrade on Tomlin in my opinion and his attitude seems spot on in his interview

6 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I can't remember on which thread it appeared originally, but can anybody recall the Brian Tinnion photo claiming that he had gone to Sweden (U21 European Championships) to watch Gus only to find out he wasn't even playing - when we knew here several days beforehand?

With the benefit of hindsight, I now suspect he went to see Eliasson - should anybody locate the thread, I am convinced they will find Eliasson played in that 'fruitless' trip.

Here's the first part of your research Phil. 

Love,

Fordy in France

IMG_7759.PNG

7 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Is this a necessary signing?

£1.5m ODowda was just starting to get a grip of the Championship late last season and now he is presumably further from the first team

For me there is never any end product with O'Dowda

5 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Missed it. What did he say?

To Paraphrase asked about our new signing (who had clearly signed hours earlier).   can you tell us anything about him

"Sorry I don't know anything about him".  and 3 minutes later he appears to be officially signed.

What a prized plum. who told him to say that and make himself look and arse needs talking to

8 minutes ago, TRL said:

To Paraphrase asked about our new signing (who had clearly signed hours earlier).   can you tell us anything about him

"Sorry I don't know anything about him".  and 3 minutes later he appears to be officially signed.

What a prized plum. who told him to say that and make himself look and arse needs talking to

Disagree.

If he's on brief to say nothing until the deal is announced, I actually applaud his discipline. 

Plenty of top managers and coaches have played dumb in similar situations; certainly not holding that against Jamie Mac.

9 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

So another young player with potential signs. Let's hope he's actually good enough for a place every week. O'Dowda, Moore, Engvall, will he be another one? They way LJ found him from 'stats' is quite interesting, maybe worrying. Wait and see i guess. A signing with proven championship ability would be appreciated instead of potential gambles on unproven players.

I really hope he's used as a winger, pace down the wing with crosses in the box. Width is missing in my opinion.

Is that a signing in a particular position with Championship experience? I ask because we have signed Baker this year, Wright, O'Neill, and Tomlin last year.  We brought Cotterill in on loan as well. Of the ones last year only Wright has really been a success, (I understand O'Neill carried an injury) and I think Baker will be a good signing, other than that, proven Championship performers don't seem to be any more certain of success than the ones with potential.

50 minutes ago, fanjita said:

For me there is never any end product with O'Dowda

Been saying this since he signed. Had a full run out last night against poor opposition and didn't really stand out. Out of his depth at championship level as far as I'm concerned. If this new signing is any good O'Dowda won't get a look in. 

10 minutes ago, swanker said:

Been saying this since he signed. Had a full run out last night against poor opposition and didn't really stand out. Out of his depth at championship level as far as I'm concerned. If this new signing is any good O'Dowda won't get a look in. 

He is not the finished article but has the basic skills to be a top player .

We bought potential with O'Dowda he may or may not fulfill it.

Let's hope that , like Young Bobby , he has a breakthrough and we see the new ' Ryan Giggs ' and not the old ' Danny Haynes ' .

14 minutes ago, swanker said:

Totally agree with that swanker 

56 minutes ago, samo II said:

Disagree.

If he's on brief to say nothing until the deal is announced, I actually applaud his discipline. 

Plenty of top managers and coaches have played dumb in similar situations; certainly not holding that against Jamie Mac.

Then say there will be an announcement later, not i don't know anything about the guy, and make yourself look a bit stupid as it is announced 3 minutes later

18 minutes ago, swanker said:

I think 'out of his depth' is going too far.  He needs games to show what he can do, but has not had a run in the side yet, but the fact that he can hold down a regular place in the ROI squad suggests that others consider him the real deal.  I was unconvinced until the final quarter of last season but saw enough to make me feel that there is more to come from him.  Pretty exciting times, watching O'Dowda, Brownhill, Paterson, Hinds, etc. all getting better!  Reminds me of 1974!

17 minutes ago, swanker said:

In that case farm him out to a decent L1 side. He either improves with experience or he gets himself in the shop window for a move. I dislike the loan system and players 'filtering down' the pyramid but it's the way of the world I'm afraid.

55 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

So another young player with potential signs. Let's hope he's actually good enough for a place every week. O'Dowda, Moore, Engvall, will he be another one? They way LJ found him from 'stats' is quite interesting, maybe worrying. Wait and see i guess. A signing with proven championship ability would be appreciated instead of potential gambles on unproven players.

Parody account confirmed 

8 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

If only OTIB was about one November in 1963. The "grassy knowl" situation would have been cleared up in a wink.................Zapruder, pffftt !

Not only that, there would've been one eagle eye viewer suggesting to look at the bodyguard on the back bumper, the next time the incident would be shown on TV or at the Gaiety, Grassy Knowle. 

12 minutes ago, Bianconeri said:

In that case farm him out to a decent L1 side. He either improves with experience or he gets himself in the shop window for a move. I dislike the loan system and players 'filtering down' the pyramid but it's the way of the world I'm afraid.

He's too good for league one.

1 hour ago, Thatch35 said:

I really hope he's used as a winger, pace down the wing with crosses in the box. Width is missing in my opinion.

You really are a half-empty glass kind of person, aren't you....

1 hour ago, samo II said:

Disagree.

Didn't SL say he'd never heard of him? "Honestly, Geoff" Strange. 

1 hour ago, Thatch35 said:

'Found him from Stats'....that's pretty much how all top football clubs find players these days. And have been for quite a while.

A manager will say 'I want a player that is this, this and this'.... the analysts will find this type of player through stats available. They have data bases of thousands of footballers across the world. They will also speak to the scouting network.

Once a list of players is put together that match the requirements, they will scout them. Reports will come in...then the head scout and manager/coach will go and look as well.

They do this for all positions and types of players.

Scouts now have list of 'type of player required' to look for.

The one sentence that got me, was 'We’ve got stiff competition for places now in the wide areas, which this club demands'....I'd love to know whether LJ was inferring to competition for all places, not just wide, or that is 'demanded' we have wide players.

It has long been a theory of mine, that there is an 'outside' influence in the team having to play wingers. Whether that's born from one persons preference or something picked up on what the fans like, I have no idea, but it's something I've noticed over the years. We have been a club for playing 'wide players'.

1 minute ago, spudski said:

'Found him from Stats'....that's pretty much how all top football clubs find players these days. And have been for quite a while.

A manager will say 'I want a player that is this, this and this'.... the analysts will find this type of player through stats available. They have data bases of thousands of footballers across the world. They will also speak to the scouting network.

Once a list of players is put together that match the requirements, they will scout them. Reports will come in...then the head scout and manager/coach will go and look as well.

They do this for all positions and types of players.

Scouts now have list of 'type of player required' to look for.

The one sentence that got me, was 'We’ve got stiff competition for places now in the wide areas, which this club demands'....I'd love to know whether LJ was inferring to competition for all places, not just wide, or that is 'demanded' we have wide players.

It has long been a theory of mine, that there is an 'outside' influence in the team having to play wingers. Whether that's born from one persons preference or something picked up on what the fans like, I have no idea, but it's something I've noticed over the years. We have been a club for playing 'wide players'.

He's honestly not worth giving a detailed and considered reply to. His whole agenda is to slight the club (LJ) at every opportunity and can't bring himself to be positive about absolutely anything. Sad really.

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

He's honestly not worth giving a detailed and considered reply to. His whole agenda is to slight the club (LJ) at every opportunity and can't bring himself to be positive about absolutely anything. Sad really.

I didn't even look to who I was replying to mate, tbh...just picked up on the wording, as it was something I was going to post about anyway.

However...I presumed most fans realised this is how scouting and finding players was done these days...I presumed wrong it seems.

Just now, spudski said:

I didn't even look to who I was replying to mate, tbh...just picked up on the wording, as it was something I was going to post about anyway.

However...I presumed most fans realised this is how scouting and finding players was done these days...I presumed wrong it seems.

That wingers comment is interesting. I've noticed that too - SC managed to get away with it for a while, maybe that was partly why he and the board bumped heads.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That wingers comment is interesting. I've noticed that too - SC managed to get away with it for a while, maybe that was partly why he and the board bumped heads.

I really do think there is some influence when it comes to playing wide men. It's been too obvious for years. Often to the detriment of the teams balance.

1 hour ago, swanker said:

O'Dowda's problem appears to be his decision making rather than a lack of ball talent. I consider that he is trying too hard to do the mazy runs that lay the final ball on a plate. Perhaps the coaches are encouraging this?

If so, the solution is to do the simple things; pass and move, put crosses into dangerous areas earlier rather than later, and also shoot earlier without trying to get an opening the width of a double decker bus.

Talented but needs to improve the top two inches.

Archived