IGNORED

hindsight

pillred

8 minutes ago, pillred said:

now with our new signings and a pretty good start to the season, yes I know opposition etc, do those that thought we would struggle still think so?

Looking at how poor Barnsley were, we really should beat them whether we end up struggling or not. The Plymouth game told us nothing about our league chances, I'm afraid, as there were sufficient changes to make partnerships/formation differ enough from a league line-up that it was ultimately a different team. As stated elsewhere, the quality of poor old Plymouth, and that of Barnsley, is no gauge of our league chances. Neither can we tell anything from other teams' two results so far - I didn't expect Ipswich to beat Birmingham and still expect the Tractors to struggle. 

I am cautiously optimistic.

Why, is actually to do with more than just the results. Clearly, as others have said, it is very very early days.

My main concern with LJ for large periods of last season is I could not see 'the plan'. The way LJ wants us to play football, if you like. To often it seemed just a case of reshuffle the pack and hope for the best.

Through pre-season and the early games, it has been much easier to see how he wants the team to approach games. Results are key of course, and if it holds up to greater scrutiny from better teams we will see.

It is however encouraging to me that what I assume is an 'LJ way' is starting to emerge.

59 minutes ago, pillred said:

now with our new signings and a pretty good start to the season, yes I know opposition etc, do those that thought we would struggle still think so?

We had a fantastic start to last season, in fact we were battling for a play off spot for a month or so, look how that ended. The bottom line is until we see a good consistent team we don't know where we stand but our squad is certainly starting to look a lot better than it did at the beginning of the summer.

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

We had a fantastic start to last season, in fact we were battling for a play off spot for a month or so, look how that ended. The bottom line is until we see a good consistent team we don't know where we stand but our squad is certainly starting to look a lot better than it did at the beginning of the summer.

Early days of course, but the football we have played in two matches this season far exceeds the quality of what we were watching last season.  Can't help but be optimistic.

Its the style of play that has given me optimism rather than just the results.

Defence has not really been tested yet and nor has character if we go behind.

Midfield have had things all their own way in the first two games.

We will see in the next 2 or 3 games whether we have a team ready to challenge for the play offs.

Encouraging so far though.

Optlmistic as usual and also realistic I say. Barnsley will have problems and yesterday says not so mutch against a poor Plymouth. Despite that my feeling is we are better this season. Think we have more options in all areas in the team. LJ have been in charge now for a while and knows more about the leauge and the team. We got some new players who plays in the starting eleven. We learnt from last season that the defence must work, and it progressed. So all and all I think we will be ok, midtable. Coyr!!!

22 minutes ago, man in the middle said:

Look at the start we had last season, if we go unbeaten for the first 10 games I'll still have my reservations.

I agree, however we didn't get close to playing the football we are now in that spell ( two poor teams I know). Even when we won, alot of the time it wasn't pretty.

I've not seen us play yet other than highlights, but I'm already optimistic as others have said that a) we seem to have a style b) the players seem to know how to play it c) we've recruited to help us play this way and d) team morale seems sky high. 

Fact is, we've not been tested yet. The real test will come when we're up against a good side, under the cosh or losing. I'm all for a positive outlook but seeing people claim to have forgiven last seasons debacle or claiming us to have turned a corner after one home match (that really we should be winning) doesn't seem quite right. This is City after all, we don't make it easy and we never learn. 

I'll reassess after 10 league games, but we couldn't have asked for a better start. Credit where it's due. For now 

I'm not getting ahead of myself - I still think we're weaker than last season and we struggled then.

For me to support LJ again we should be finishing around the playoffs, this is the expectation he set (3 transfer windows) so I hold him and the team to this. A new manager shows failure of this strategy and resets the expectation.

I am hopeful that we can do better than my expectations.

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

I'm not getting ahead of myself - I still think we're weaker than last season and we struggled then.

For me to support LJ again we should be finishing around the playoffs, this is the expectation he set (3 transfer windows) so I hold him and the team to this. A new manager shows failure of this strategy and resets the expectation.

I am hopeful that we can do better than my expectations.

Weaker individually?  Possibly.

Stronger as a team?  Maybe

Anyone notice that we now have routines at throw-ins to make space?  It was plotless last season!  Little block-offs, push and go's, very basic at this level, but essential.

We look like we know what we are doing / trying to do.

Of course, we've had it all our way so far.  Tough game Saturday, an early barometer maybe.

Whatever happens, won't be getting carried away.

Two wins against poor opposition mean nothing but.....the way in which those games were won was very impressive. Three goals up in both games in hardly any time thru high tempo play, high pressing and slick passing. I've not seen that for quite sometime and I find that very optimistic.

Big test at Brum on Saturday, up against a very experienced manager in 'Arry and a decent team. If City get all the points I might put a tenner on getting promotion...........:facepalm:

3 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Early days of course, but the football we have played in two matches this season far exceeds the quality of what we were watching last season.  Can't help but be optimistic.

I would agree except at the beginning of last season we were playing some fantastic football, it was just a case of once we lost the momentum it never came back. I'm optimistic at the moment but I'm also going to remain cautious as the real test comes when we lose and we need to get going again.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Weaker individually?  Possibly.

Stronger as a team?  Maybe

Anyone notice that we now have routines at throw-ins to make space?  It was plotless last season!  Little block-offs, push and go's, very basic at this level, but essential.

We look like we know what we are doing / trying to do.

Of course, we've had it all our way so far.  Tough game Saturday, an early barometer maybe.

Whatever happens, won't be getting carried away.

We were actually time wasting in the last twenty minutes by nudging the ball away at throw ins and free kicks. We seem to be a bit more streetwise than a year ago.

Perfect test for us against what I think will be a mediocre Birmingham side destined for mid table, unless they recruit well in the remainder of the transfer window. My heart thinks we'll have a decent season as there definitely seems to be something extra there this season, bit more zip in the way we are playing and seems the players are a bit more confident. My brain however is constantly telling my heart to stop it.... 

We'll win Saturday 4-2 by the way. 

12 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Too early to say, the opposition haven't been up to much but we still had to beat them, and we did so convincingly. 

Certainly it's gone about as well as anyone could have realistically hoped so far. 

City of old would have made hard work of both those ' easy ' games.

This team went to work and did the business with style .

Of course it's early days but the signs are very encouraging.

I think we're going to have an interesting and entertaining season.

A good starter does not always win or do well in a race, in fact could come last, we are not even at the first bend yet...........but we ALL hope. Ask me again at Christmas.

Archived