IGNORED

Eliasson last night

Super Scotty Murray

I just wanted to say that I thought Eliasson looked quality when he came on last night. Yes it was against a team down to 10 men with their backs to the wall, but he was quick, had a great first time cross, took a good set piece and had a good shot saved near the end.

I would have thought he would be pushing for a start after that, as although O'Dowda always puts a good shift in he still doesn't seem to have great end product. Paterson has to start for me so it is one of O'Dowda/Eliasson/Leko for the other wide position.

Just now, The Horse With No Name said:

Guaranteed he won't start at home on Saturday

Agreed that he probably wont but the point is that he should be in the reckoning after that display. We have 4 very good players in those positions which is a nice problem to have!

Obviously Leko can play up front as well so it might be that we use him there more going forward because he is a liability defensively on the wing.

Just now, grifty said:

If we could only add the defensive nature of COD to the attacking and crossing ability of Eliasson we'd have a great winger!

Absolutely! I think COD is a great asset away from home due to his work rate but at home where teams sit back a bit more he seems to find it hard to have as much of an impact in the final third.

I think Leko/Eliasson are better options at home and COD away.

6 minutes ago, super_scotty_murray said:

Agreed that he probably wont but the point is that he should be in the reckoning after that display. We have 4 very good players in those positions which is a nice problem to have!

Obviously Leko can play up front as well so it might be that we use him there more going forward because he is a liability defensively on the wing.

No. he definitely won't. We're away.

Eliasson has all the attributes to be a good player in this division, but he's in that 'transition' period.

Needs to become fully aware of his duties, especially defensively, get drilled and ingrained as to the game plan....plus imo, needs to physically develop for this league.

Both Brownhill and COD came here with similar physiques to Eliasson ....both over a period of time have made themselves physically stronger. Both are still learning and progressing. COD for example has a tremendous work rate, turn of speed, amount of skill, but as others have said, his decision making when making that final pass or cross can be questionable. I watched him closely yesterday...and his final pass was often into the 'dangerzone' without actually looking up, when there was a better option to be had elsewhere. That will come with experience and confidence.

All good signs with all three mentioned.

3 hours ago, super_scotty_murray said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he definitely won't start at home on Saturday. I'm happy to put money on it. And I'm not a betting man.

1 hour ago, brady bunch said:

did well, but needs to work hard on his first touch, it was poor last night (hard as I compare him to Patterson who seens to pluck the ball out of the air and kill it with a single move)

There was one sublime cross field ball that he bought down and distributed quickly . 

Most of our players these days are very good technically.

A pleasure to watch .

He’s skilful but needs to work on his crossing of the ball. Too many are cut out by the first defender, but the same could be said of Patterson and O’Dowda. It’s strange that so many professional players just can’t regularly deliver a good cross. 

17 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

He’s skilful but needs to work on his crossing of the ball. Too many are cut out by the first defender, but the same could be said of Patterson and O’Dowda. It’s strange that so many professional players just can’t regularly deliver a good cross. 

I'm gonna have to disagree (not saying he hasn't hit the first man 1 or two times) but from what I've seen in his brief appreances is the boy can't half whip the ball in

One for the future - his delivery was on par with COD i.e. needs to improve but he has tricks and speed so exciting to watch him develop.

I would like also to see Diedhiou away and Leko at home alongside Taylor away and Reid at home - like the idea of rotating and keeping them all fit and fighting

6 hours ago, super_scotty_murray said:

Super...we are away..bless x

14 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Prefer Leko to cod or eliason at the moment, but they will all have chances to shine. Also its good to be able to swap them over as subs if one is not having a great game or just need a fresh pair of legs.

It’s horses for courses a bit.. we’ve got 4 wingers/wide midfielders with different attributes and strengths.

In a nutshell..

Paterson - creative, goals

O’Dowda - athletic, responsible defensively

Leko - genius dribbler, pace

Eliasson - Pace, crossing

All of those attributes will be more effective against different types of opposition.

Whilst Pisano is out I can see us picking O’Dowda more often as we wouldn’t want Wright or Vyner to be too exposed.

31 minutes ago, coxyboy said:

It means ur talking bollocks and have no idea they are breaking him in gently 

LJ said that was the plan at the recent QnA. Eliasson, at that point, wasn’t where we wanted him to be defensively so wasn’t ready to start games.

So no, I’m not ‘talking bollocks’ - it came straight from the most reliable source possible! 

Archived