IGNORED

Steve Cotterill

Red Army 75

46 minutes ago, spudski said:

M....SC hasn't been with Brum this season....SC 'fell out with Harry'. He believed he was going to be given the managers job at the end of last season and that Harry was going to move up as a 'Director of football'. He took the majority of coaching sessions last season. He felt Harry stabbed him in the back when he took the managers job as they allegedly had made a gentleman's agreement.

I'm annoyed with myself for not taking the 3/1 that was available for SC to get the job. 

Truth is he kept them up more than HR. They reverted to an organised defensive team almost overnight when they stayed up and that was clearly down to Cotterill not Redknapp.  He has played this well in fairness. 

44 minutes ago, RedM said:

Oh right. I realised he had left when Harry got the job but didn't realise there was bad feeling or he actually wanted the job. Nobody knew Harry's reign was going to be so short lived did they, I guess he might have stuck around and would be doing it now. 

Thanks to those who have replied. 

As soon as I heard SC had turned down a coaching role I had a strong feeling this would happen.  The team that played last game of the season looked like a SC side. 

3 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I'm annoyed with myself for not taking the 3/1 that was available for SC to get the job. 

Truth is he kept them up more than HR. They reverted to an organised defensive team almost overnight when they stayed up and that was clearly down to Cotterill not Redknapp.  He has played this well in fairness. 

Harry has brought in some good players there...it will be interesting to see whether he can get them to play his way, or adapt to their strengths.

I hope they go down. Not so much because it's SC, but because Brum should have gone down last season and escaped imo, because Huddersfield made 10 changes in their team when they had already made the play offs.

Interestingly....because of that game, the FL have brought in a new directive this season, that after a certain date in March ( cant remember exact date ) all teams have to have 10 players in the match day squad from the previous game they played.

I wanted them down last season. Another bloated, ego driven 'Premiership' team that are not as big as people think they are. 

They will now get a lot less coverage in the media and will find their rightful level of bog standard Championship side. When their owners get twitchy and sack him they will go down.. 

19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Two reasons - 1) it was just announced on SSN  2) Cotterill might well be after some of our players. Flint and Bryan in particular.

Its the latter point that's concerning.

Re:   2)  shame if he  does that, successfully or not that would surely be unsettling for our currently happy ship shape and Bristol fashion squad....

:nono:..... don't do it Steve, hero to zero and all that! 

Pleased for Cotts and seem like alot of Blues fans wanted him.

As for Flint joining him I'd take Jota in a swap for Flint.  I think Cotts will want to get some leaders in as a priority.  We, on the other hand, are looking upwards and adding more creativity is what will help us progress.  

5 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

Pleased for Cotts and seem like alot of Blues fans wanted him.

As for Flint joining him I'd take Jota in a swap for Flint.  I think Cotts will want to get some leaders in as a priority.  We, on the other hand, are looking upwards and adding more creativity is what will help us progress.  

Strange one our CB issue... Unsure how it's going to play out when Pisano is back fit, I can't see any of them on the bench (maybe Flint, but his form is too good at the moment). I also wouldn't want to see Flint go either

33 minutes ago, spudski said:

I hope they go down. Not so much because it's SC, but because Brum should have gone down last season and escaped imo, because Huddersfield made 10 changes in their team when they had already made the play offs.

If we hadn't have been on the beach when we played them they would have gone down!

43 minutes ago, spudski said:

Harry has brought in some good players there...it will be interesting to see whether he can get them to play his way, or adapt to their strengths.

Interestingly....because of that game, the FL have brought in a new directive this season, that after a certain date in March ( cant remember exact date ) all teams have to have 10 players in the match day squad from the previous game they played.

I find this argument boring and monotonous. It's a cheap shot at Huddersfield when we were also pretty rubbish in their deciding game. If a team has earned the right to field a weakened side, or deems a competition less valuable, the authorities need to look at what makes teams do it rather than stopping them from wanting to.

In leagues 1 and 2, teams will play Saturday/Tuesday from the start of the season until the end of November pretty much and have demands placed on them to play 7 of the 'first 11' in the Football League Trophy - a competition that is admitting premier league under 23 teams.

The cash cow that is the play-offs prompted Huddersfield to field a weakened team, it was just by chance they were due to play a relegation threatened team in their run in. It's the same game whoever you play & I would fully expect City to do the same in their position.

It is not bad sportsmanship, there is no deception & it is not premeditated. Like most things in sport, it is down to chance.

9 minutes ago, Collis1 said:

Got to laugh at the mess that is BCFC. Their fans will  be disappointed with this appointment and on his back pretty quickly if he doesnt deliver. I wish him well, but I can't see this lasting long.

Wow,  :shocking: 

THAT is word for word what some Brummie posted when we signed Lee,  spooky! 

( :liar:not really, but it could have happened eh?)

4 minutes ago, solihull cider red said:

I find this argument boring and monotonous. It's a cheap shot at Huddersfield when we were also pretty rubbish in their deciding game. If a team has earned the right to field a weakened side, or seems a competition less valuable, the authorities need to look at what makes teams do it rather than stopping them from wanting to.

In leagues 1 and 2, teams will play Saturday/Tuesday from the start of the season until the end of November pretty much and have demands placed on them to play 7 of the 'first 11' in the Football League Trophy - a competition that is admitting premier league under 23 teams.

The cash cow that is the play-offs prompted Huddersfield to field a weakened team, it was just by chance they were due to play a relegation threatened team in their run in. It's the same game whoever you play & I would fully expect City to do the same in their position.

It is not bad sportsmanship, there is no deception & it is not premeditated. Like most things in sport, it is down to chance.

Hence the new directive being implemented, so as all games in the division are played with the same mentality.

You are right though...in previous seasons, if you got promoted or made the play offs before the end of the season, then it made sense to rest players, or try youngsters out etc.

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

Hence the new directive being implemented, so as all games in the division are played with the same mentality.

You are right though...in previous seasons, if you got promoted or made the play offs before the end of the season, then it made sense to rest players, or try youngsters out etc.

It's sadly devalued our traditional big domestic cup competitions too... 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

M....SC hasn't been with Brum this season....SC 'fell out with Harry'. He believed he was going to be given the managers job at the end of last season and that Harry was going to move up as a 'Director of football'. He took the majority of coaching sessions last season. He felt Harry stabbed him in the back when he took the managers job as they allegedly had made a gentleman's agreement.

At least now SC will be judged on his own merit, not as HR's shadow

It's a great appointment for Birmingham and looks a good fit for Cotts. Much as I don't like Brum they are a well supported and potentially big club with passionate fans who I'm sure will really take to the equally passionate SC.

Cotts' plan will be to play his preferred system, and very likely he will only have accepted the job on that basis so it will be fascinating to see if he can make a success of it at this level. 

SC fully deserves to manage in the Championship again; pity it's Brum, but on a personal level I wish him every success.

14 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Wishing him the very best of luck. At least he has a good part of the season to turn it around, and on paper at least, Brum have some decent players. They were poor last year, so it will take some hard work to get them out of the relegation zone and mentality. Very lucky not to be relegated last year. 

They might be decent on paper, lets see if Cotts can get 'em to perform on grass...

Archived