IGNORED

City to finish in the top 2 spots?

reddogkev

7 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

We can't break down teams who park the bus. Proven already. That will happen more and more. We need someone to unlock the door or we will slip down the table. 

Two teams have properly 'parked the bus' against us this season and we've taken 4 points - would have been 6 were it not for Mr Linnington. 

I agree it's a weak spot of ours but the table doesn't lie. As it stands three teams have been better than us this season which would suggest our midfield is capable of delivering a top six finish.

Not saying they will of course but 'we won't finish top six with this midfield' or words to that effect, is something of a baseless statement.

Top 2 is not unrealistic or unachievable, we have had a very good start.. playing some excellent football with results reflecting that.

There's certainly no one to fear in the championship, there's no nailed on Newcastle, Brighton or Burnley like in previous years.. but make no mistake there are still some very good teams in the division.

I think we'll be somewhere between 4th-10th, but for example if were sitting 5th with 10 games to go and we end well who knows.

Key this year will be when we do lose 2 on the bounce is how we bounce back if it's straight away then we may well be right up there.. if it turns into a third and fourth lose etc then we may finish further down.

It's an old cliché but take game by game, as said previously if were in the top 6 at Xmas still in reach of the top 2 who knows.

1 minute ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Probably get a better feel for it if we leave it until early May.

I must admit I've always been a bit baffled by the 'let's wait until January' statement. I mean what's so special about January anyway?! There's months of football to be played post January.   

We're closer to January today than January is to the end of the season. 

5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Calm down Vincent , let's see where we are in February.

:yes:

19 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Probably get a better feel for it if we leave it until early May.

I'm with OTIK, May is the time to reassess our chances. :)

After earlier saying January, I'm about as consistent as a gas away performance me! :whistle:

It's a very open league this season but there does look a couple of stand out quality teams. Wolves look good and with them likely to strengthen in January and add Jota permanently, you would have to say they are going to be bang there. 

Cardiff I'm not sure on. Warnock has got them well drilled, but I can't see them automatic.

Preston I feel a bit like us are punching and more likely to be outside Playoff chance.

With the likes of Villa, Sheff Utd, Sheff Weds, Leeds, Boro, Norwich, Hull and co, big teams at this level and Brentford and Fulham finding form the league is simply impossible to predict after 12 games.

Top 10 would be perfectly acceptable, but I fear the promising start (esp if we get a result on Saturday) will get fans suddenly thinking we are playoff/promotion candidates and then if we did end up mid table, there would be a feeling of disappointment in certain elements of the fan base.

I think we can definitely be top 8 or 10, and it would be nice to sneak in the back door of the playoffs,  but I don't personally think we have the quality or intention to buy the quality to make us automatic promotion contenders. 

2 minutes ago, palmerred said:

It's a very open league this season but there does look a couple of stand out quality teams. Wolves look good and with them likely to strengthen in January and add Jota permanently, you would have to say they are going to be bang there. 

Cardiff I'm not sure on. Warnock has got them well drilled, but I can't see them automatic.

Preston I feel a bit like us are punching and more likely to be outside Playoff chance.

With the likes of Villa, Sheff Utd, Sheff Weds, Leeds, Boro, Norwich, Hull and co, big teams at this level and Brentford and Fulham finding form the league is simply impossible to predict after 12 games.

Top 10 would be perfectly acceptable, but I fear the promising start (esp if we get a result on Saturday) will get fans suddenly thinking we are playoff/promotion candidates and then if we did end up mid table, there would be a feeling of disappointment in certain elements of the fan base.

I think we can definitely be top 8 or 10, and it would be nice to sneak in the back door of the playoffs,  but I don't personally think we have the quality or intention to buy the quality to make us automatic promotion contenders. 

Good post that palmerred and it raises a further question. If we're around the top 6 come January, do we, can we, will we push the boat out transfer wise?

Interesting times!

We are capable of beating anyone else in the division.

The only problem is that I still think we are capable of being beaten by pretty well anyone else in this division as well, so seeing us a promotion contenders is a bit of a leap of faith.

However, the longer we can maintain our unbeaten run and performance levels, and especially if we can find a way of undoing teams like Burton, then we could well become a dark horse.

This being Bristol City, I will not be getting my hopes up until we are 22 points ahead of the rest with 7 games to go. 

39 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I must admit I've always been a bit baffled by the 'let's wait until January' statement. I mean what's so special about January anyway?! There's months of football to be played post January.   

We're closer to January today than January is to the end of the season. 

People are saying January because that's when we can sign new players. So you take stock in Jan work out where to strengthen and what to spend. 

January is literally (in terms of transfers) leaving it as late as possible to assess how our seasons going. 

I get why people are reluctant but we could really finish anywhere in the top 6 easily. I don't think likely but no horrible teams this year I don't think(possibly wolves). I'm still on 60 points in my head. When we get to there I'll be happy and reaccess depending how many games are left. 60 points should have us at least 14th and a relatively stress free year if we pick up those 60 at a steady pace. It does feel we could do more than that but it's so fragile that I'll withhold judgement until then. 

42 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

People are saying January because that's when we can sign new players. So you take stock in Jan work out where to strengthen and what to spend. 

January is literally (in terms of transfers) leaving it as late as possible to assess how our seasons going. 

I would hope that's already been done WTGR Rich BUT will our position make the number 1's on LJ / MS's list more likely to happen? Will we spend a larger sum given our lofty position to sign say a 'Bannan' who would be serious money or a cheaper player who may not bring as much as him?

1 hour ago, palmerred said:

Am good friends with a PNE season ticket holder: he thinks they will be found out sooner or later. Then again, he is as cynical, miserable and downbeat as I am.

13 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I would hope that's already been done WTGR Rich BUT will our position make the number 1's on LJ / MS's list more likely to happen? Will we spend a larger sum given our lofty position to sign say a 'Bannan' who would be serious money or a cheaper player who may not bring as much as him?

The club will say that they will only bring in players that can improve the squad .

As we progress that's going to cost more money .

If SL wants promotion then he'll pay the going rate I'm sure .

Just now, Major Isewater said:

The club will say that they will only bring in players that can improve the squad .

As we progress that's going to cost more money .

If SL wants promotion then he'll pay the going rate I'm sure .

Would be nice for the refreshing honesty of "well, we felt obliged to buy someone to appease the serial moaners and whinge-bags in the stands and on the forum, and no-one was available that we actually wanted or needed, so we brought in Carlos Kickaball who is, quite frankly, garbage, and I fully expect will be shipped off on loan to Chippenham inside 2 months."

Yes. Aim high.

If you fall short you’re still in a good place.

Aim “top 10” and fall short you’re average.

And I genuinely feel that this season we’re in a far better and deserving place than this time last year.

But then the Bristolian approach (and I was born and brought up in Bristol) is so often one of expecting little and then either moaning about it or taking pleasure in saying “told you so”.

Onwards and upwards.

As long as fans don't start expecting a top 6 finish (I don't think city fans are ever going to expect a top 2 finish) then I do not see any problem with saying we could, extremely reasonably, finish in the playoffs this season. 

I mean, why not? We've been largely very consistent this season so far. Keep the wins coming in regularly and the odd disappointing draws at home to Burton/Millwall etc. won't really matter. 

I don't think you have to be exceptionally good to finish in the top 6 - after all, a quarter of the league achieve it every season. You just have to be consistently quite good. And so far this season, that describes us. 

2 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

Fair enough-as I eat me fish finger sandwich I dream of lobster Thermidor,and whilst cutting me toenails imagine I'm tripping the light fantastic with Vivian Leigh.

Difficult bit is having consistancy in quality..no reason not to dream,though.

Is that you, Sir Larry?

Archived