IGNORED

City to finish in the top 2 spots?

reddogkev

Thought I'd get this in before the Leeds game - in case we take a painful defeat - but how many of you feel we can finish top 2 this season?

For me, it is within our reach - especially if our squad can be strengthened by 1 or 2 quality players, with at least 1 in the middle of the park.  Look at the table now, Wolves, Cardiff and Sheff Utd - hardly intimidating or huge clubs.   In our favour, we have a powerful striker who is going to get better as the season progresses, we have Bobby Reid in the form of his life, we've put together a very good, tough defence - and we seem to have forged a strong team spirit again with a hungry group of players.  Perhaps the only problem is the continued successful management of our large squad and ensuring those not in the team remain content with their position.

And yes it is far too early to discuss the chance of this, but I'm interested to know our current mind-set.  Could this be a season to celebrate an unexpected automatic promotion?

There's not a team in the league we can't beat IMO. Why shouldn't we aim high?

You'd have got the same 'calm down' reaction at this stage in 07/08 and with a couple of quality additions in Jan that season we'd have gone up automatically. 

I personally don't see it happening but why shouldn't we aim for it? Why shouldn't anyone?

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

You'd have got the same 'calm down' reaction at this stage in 07/08 and with a couple of quality additions in Jan that season we'd have gone up automatically. 

I personally don't see it happening but why shouldn't we aim for it? Why shouldn't anyone?

This time last season Maybe.

I’m still predicting a 10th place finish. We’re bound to have a wobble at some point and the table is very close. If you don’t win for 3 games you can fall out of the top half easily. As someone said, wait until January. If we’re still 4th then and only a few points off the top 2 then maybe we can start to believe. 

3 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Err.....Burton?

It remains to be seen if we can't beat Burton ;) hopefully next time we play them we are only playing versus eleven men!

You get my gist though - when we play to our full potential we are a match for anyone in the league. It's a case of whether we can keep that consistency. 

Bar a - relatively speaking - short period, we've been in essentially playoff form since Johnson arrived. Top two form isn't a million miles detached and this year I don't see anyone having the consistency to run riot like Newcastle/BHA. 

They both averaged 2 points per game over 46 games, only Wolves, Cardiff and Sheff U have equalled or bettered that over the 12 games so far. Then it's us. 

Obviously all ifs and buts but we haven't exactly had an easy start to the season and if we keep this form up we'll be knocking on the door. 

COULD we..? Yes, possibly. 

WILL we..? I wouldn’t think so. 

My original hope is that we would finish somewhere between 12-15th. 

Having seen is so far this season, I’d like to hope that top 10 is a realistic target now. 

I’d love a play-off push and don’t think that’s beyond us, but I think top 2 might be a little bit ambitious. 

However, there is nothing wrong with ambition and I hope that’s where LJ & the team have their sights set!

I’ll take top 10. Be delighted with top 6 (whatever the outcome of play-offs)

Top 2 seems beyond our wildest dreams, but it IS possible I suppose! 

I think it's possible if unlikely. A couple of injuries to key personnel could hit us hard.

Let's see how we react to a couple of defeats before we get carried away.

I would be very happy with a top 10 finish TBH, absolutely fine by me but, at the moment, we're in the mix. There's a very long way to go and a very good start is all we've accomplished so far. Just enjoy the ride and see where we are come January.

4 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

No idea about Huddersfield,  I'm just drawing on last seasons experience. Why wouldn't I ?

Because it's not really relevant? Didn't Leicester nearly go down the season before they won the league too, or have I made that up? 

My point is that what happened last season is largely irrelevant to this season in the same way that what I had for tea last night is not a fantastic indicator of what I'll have for tea tonight. 

Too many variables for there to be any actual correlation, and luckily one of them is now in Cardiff!

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Because it's not really relevant? Didn't Leicester nearly go down the season before they won the league too, or have I made that up? 

My point is that what happened last season is largely irrelevant to this season in the same way that what I had for tea last night is not a fantastic indicator of what I'll have for tea tonight. 

Too many variables, and luckily one of them is now in Cardiff!

You quoted our form since LJ arrived, so is that irrelevant as well ? You can't have it both ways.

1 minute ago, Vincent Vega said:

You quoted our form since LJ arrived, so is that irrelevant as well ? You can't have it both ways.

Form over a sustained period of time is a far superior measure of likelihood than choosing to only focus on a very small sample of that wider data set. 

The fact that we had a 'blip' last season is completely irrelevant to what will happen this season. 

If I have a freak accident today does that make me more likely to have one tomorrow?

I'm not saying it's not human nature to remain cautious about our chances in light of a blip last season, but it really is neither here nor there. It's only what happens this season that will have any effect on the outcome. 

38 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Thought I'd get this in before the Leeds game - in case we take a painful defeat - but how many of you feel we can finish top 2 this season?

For me, it is within our reach - especially if our squad can be strengthened by 1 or 2 quality players, with at least 1 in the middle of the park.  Look at the table now, Wolves, Cardiff and Sheff Utd - hardly intimidating or huge clubs.   In our favour, we have a powerful striker who is going to get better as the season progresses, we have Bobby Reid in the form of his life, we've put together a very good, tough defence - and we seem to have forged a strong team spirit again with a hungry group of players.  Perhaps the only problem is the continued successful management of our large squad and ensuring those not in the team remain content with their position.

And yes it is far too early to discuss the chance of this, but I'm interested to know our current mind-set.  Could this be a season to celebrate an unexpected automatic promotion?

If we sort the midfield in Jan we can be top 6. We missed an opportunity in the summer. 

13 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Too many variables for there to be any actual correlation, and luckily one of them is now in Cardiff!

Fair enough-as I eat me fish finger sandwich I dream of lobster Thermidor,and whilst cutting me toenails imagine I'm tripping the light fantastic with Vivian Leigh.

Difficult bit is having consistancy in quality..no reason not to dream,though.

39 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

There also isn't a team in the league that couldn't beat us. 

I don't see how openly stating this is our aim benifits us in anyway. It's not like if our form remains good and we are in the top two the players are going to think 'this is not the aim better loose a few and get back to expectations.'

IMO Take it a game at a time and re-assess in Jan

9 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Does the current evidence not suggest that top six is achievable with the current squad? Or do you think we've got lucky so far?

We can't break down teams who park the bus. Proven already. That will happen more and more. We need someone to unlock the door or we will slip down the table. 

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I agree but if we don't push ourselves to the limits every game, we'll never know what could be achieved. It's our Mount Everest. It's climbable!

The team can push themselves as hard as they like and then some, I was talking from a Fan's point of view.

Archived