IGNORED

City to finish in the top 2 spots?

reddogkev

6 hours ago, INCRED said:

We are in a position to challenge and that’s all at the moment. If this group of players can sustain the current consistency and add in a bit of Lady Luck when it comes to injuries and suspensions then who knows.

I bought a ST for the first time this season after 40+ years because I saw something that gave me that feeling this group could actually do well and challenge at the top of the league, so far that hunch is looking promising

No problem at all with the above post ..... until I got to the final seven words! ...

WTF??  ... not funny!  

Infact I've got the right hump with you now, you've got my back up good and proper!!!!

11 hours ago, IAmNick said:

This surely makes no sense at all because where you aim has no real bearing on where you actually finish.

In fact, you could say your way is worse - if you finish just outside the top 10 after aiming for the top two that'll be a much bigger disappointment and knock to confidence than finishing there after aiming for top 10.

Not true. Psychology plays it’s part. All about inches.

Those that believe they can succeed often do. Aim high and if you fall short, stumble or slip up then you might get lucky and still succeed.

Aim for “top 6” or “top 10” and suffer the same - or have that dick who was referee against Burton - and you end up bottom half of the table.

At which point we’re all able to say “told you so” and try and justify our pessimism by saying it was realism.

I suspect that when they run out for every game they believe they can win and aim to do so without any doubt in their mind.

10 hours ago, spudski said:

This league is so close, there is so much luck involved.

We are one wins difference between being 4th or sitting 10th.

Bobby Reid's disallowed goal is the difference between us being 4th or 2nd.

It's all well talking about not losing games, but we've had six draws this season already.

3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw...it makes a massive difference.

We could not lose for 3 games, draw 0-0 in all of them, and we'd have 3 points...and people would say we haven't lost.

We could lose 0-1, 0-1, and then win 2-0....we'd have 3 points, but have only won one from 3, but still have the same points and GD.

You can look at performances etc, of which imo, we do look better than last season....however, it still is all about fine margins.

12 games in...we are one win difference between being mid table or 4th. It's that close.

This. It's nice being 4th but we are only 3 points off 10th. A small dip in form would see us there in no time - look at Leeds. And to be honest I think people are overstating our form to date. The convincing wins have been few in number, I would suggest - Barnsley, Derby and Ipswich? Otherwise we have ground out some points in close matches, winning some and drawing some.

All this is better than I was expecting, don't get me wrong, but not automatic promotion form yet.

23 minutes ago, Leveller said:

This. It's nice being 4th but we are only 3 points off 10th. A small dip in form would see us there in no time - look at Leeds. And to be honest I think people are overstating our form to date. The convincing wins have been few in number, I would suggest - Barnsley, Derby and Ipswich? Otherwise we have ground out some points in close matches, winning some and drawing some.

All this is better than I was expecting, don't get me wrong, but not automatic promotion form yet.

If we want to be a solid mid table team then avoiding defeat is important.

If we want to challenge for promotion then winning games is more important, even if it means we risk losing some of them.

5 minutes ago, downendcity said:

If we want to be a solid mid table team then avoiding defeat is important.

If we want to challenge for promotion then winning games is more important, even if it means we risk losing some of them.

I'd say that's one thing we aren't guilty of...we are actually trying to win games, unlike Burton.

Our stats show we are a very effective frontline...but also a 'busy' but effective defence.

We play very open and let shots and crosses come in. Our defence has been awesome in dealing with what's been allowed to come at them.

32 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I think Spudski has it spot on TBH.

If you look at our games to date, you can see how it could be very different with a bit more "luck" or not.

Villa, equalised with a wicked deflection so could have easily been 2 more points

Burton, perfectly good goal disallowed, so could have been 2 more points

Wolves, leading with 5 mins to go, so could have been 2 more points

Brentford, snatched an unlikely equaliser at the death, so could have been 1 less point

I think everyone agrees that we should have won at Birmingham, so could have been 3 more points.

All of the above could easily have happened slightly differently, so we would now be sitting top of the table.

So the point I am making, is yes we could finish top 2.

11 minutes ago, ooRya said:

I think Spudski has it spot on TBH.

If you look at our games to date, you can see how it could be very different with a bit more "luck" or not.

Villa, equalised with a wicked deflection so could have easily been 2 more points

Burton, perfectly good goal disallowed, so could have been 2 more points

Wolves, leading with 5 mins to go, so could have been 2 more points

Brentford, snatched an unlikely equaliser at the death, so could have been 1 less point

I think everyone agrees that we should have won at Birmingham, so could have been 3 more points.

All of the above could easily have happened slightly differently, so we would now be sitting top of the table.

So the point I am making, is yes we could finish top 2.

That's right. 

We won so many of those tight margin games in the double season - I remember a frustrating game vs Crawley at home. Ayling winner in injury time in a very similar game to Burton.

14 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'd say that's one thing we aren't guilty of...we are actually trying to win games, unlike Burton.

Our stats show we are a very effective frontline...but also a 'busy' but effective defence.

We play very open and let shots and crosses come in. Our defence has been awesome in dealing with what's been allowed to come at them.

Don't disagree at all Spudski, and think the positive approach and playing style is the major difference from last season.

However, while we've improved, the difference between us finishing mid table and having a chance to challenge at the top could well rest on games like Burton and our ability to turn them from draws into wins. Teams like Burton will be fighting for survival and accordingly will fight for every point in whatever way they think best, even if we don't like it.

When we’ve only lost once in all comps on Christmas Day then I’ll believe top 2 is achievable. 

Hopefully we’ll be top then and flying clear of the tinpot teams we have to play against. I mean what right do teams like Brentford, Bolton and Millwall have to play against us? The sooner we’re in the prem with teams of our stature the better! 

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 19:13, INCRED said:

We are in a position to challenge and that’s all at the moment. If this group of players can sustain the current consistency and add in a bit of Lady Luck when it comes to injuries and suspensions then who knows.

I bought a ST for the first time this season after 40+ years because I saw something that gave me that feeling this group could actually do well and challenge at the top of the league, so far that hunch is looking promising

I thought I would post on here as well just in case you miss it, you sir are a complete dick with NO sense of humour cant recognise a joke when you see one.

The league is wide open. Wolves are looking good but we scored 3 on their ground. Even a team as low as Birmingham could put a run together and challenge for automatic promotion. You might as well put all the names of the teams in a hat and draw 2 out apart from Burton and Bolton. We have a great chance of top 6 if we strengthen in January but so does every other team. 

On 18/10/2017 at 23:38, spudski said:

This league is so close, there is so much luck involved.

We are one wins difference between being 4th or sitting 10th.

Bobby Reid's disallowed goal is the difference between us being 4th or 2nd.

It's all well talking about not losing games, but we've had six draws this season already.

3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw...it makes a massive difference.

We could not lose for 3 games, draw 0-0 in all of them, and we'd have 3 points...and people would say we haven't lost.

We could lose 0-1, 0-1, and then win 2-0....we'd have 3 points, but have only won one from 3, but still have the same points and GD.

You can look at performances etc, of which imo, we do look better than last season....however, it still is all about fine margins.

12 games in...we are one win difference between being mid table or 4th. It's that close.

I've said it many times go unbeaten throughout the season but only drawing and we would be relegated. 

I hope this unbeaten run doesn't stop us going for a win just to protect it . 

Wins are what gets promotion.

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I've said it many times go unbeaten throughout the season but only drawing and we would be relegated. 

So major, as it was not read out - care to share you Mammary gland poem ?

5 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Agree and disagree. As per last season we lost games chasing a win when a draw would’ve been adequate. You need to find the balance between going for the win and settling for a draw. 

As long as we stay within 6 points of top spot then we have every chance of going up. However, there are so many things that need to come together to make it happen like luck, avoiding injuries, winning games where we deserved to lose, galvanised team spirit, belief, damn hard work consistently. If I was to bet I would say that we could sneak the playoffs, but realistically I think we will finish around 10th

20 minutes ago, Keyardiv said:

This thread was never going to end well. The quicker it disappears the better. 

Yes, rather like the "Wales v ROI score prediction" thread on your forum. Where no-one predicted the correct score.

Archived