IGNORED

Maggers

wendyredredrobin

I didn’t see the game. But given the reaction on here and through watching the highlights, he obviously didn’t have a good game...

However, he’s unlucky for the first goal. He gets the block in without being rash and 9 times out of 10, he’ll come out with the ball. But the real question here is, Christ almighty, what is Joe Bryan doing? Is he just stood there assessing Hörður? He’s had a brilliant season, but he needs to take the blame for us conceding that. 2 on 1 and there’s no way their attacker gets through. Stand and watch = goal. 

12 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Not a great game for him today, didn't quite seem up to the pace.  At fault for their goal, made quite a few mistakes and fell over the ball a couple of times (once very badly).

Great long throw though always causes problems and a goal from one today.

You can see why he is not always in the team though with much better players ahead of him, but he's young and still improving andhope he will make the grade.  Seems like a nice lad too.

I see that @Thatch35 has rubbished your post Wendy. Clearly you need to revisit the highlights and see what you and the rest of us missed in Maggers performance,  that impressd the all seeing eye. 

9 hours ago, shelts said:

Awful today . Can see why he doesn’t make the team apart from injuries. Extremely lightweight and massively panics when in possession. Everything Cardiff tried to do was aimed down his flank . Still he came up with an assist and the team still won . Back to the bench after the break. 

I looked at Cardiff's stats before the game...the majority of their attacks come down the right side, regardless of who they play.

Always been a big fan of Mags since he arrived at the club, a real technical ability for left back / central defender.

After the last couple of games I have seen him play im starting to think this isn't going to work. Yesterday he looked weak, nervous, rushed and generally not up to the standard.

I still think he has time and chances on his side but he does need to work on his strength and speed of thought (this is probably through game time) to catch up to where we are as a club at the moment.

Hope LJ's man management skills are better than most on here. 

Magnússon's league start at left back is in a six-pointer against Colin's Cardiff and the game is moved forward. Everything says "BIG GAME". He is an international but he has been relegated to a bit part player for us. He also knows that he is likely to be targeted by Cardiif as they attack down the right so much & that because he isn't our usual left back Colin will tell his team to get at him. Plus he has Baker inside him who may not be 100% fit. In those circumstances, having some nerves would be only human.

Agree that he didn't play well, particularly first half, but the winning goal for Flint wouldn't have happened without him. He needs a run of a few games to get some confidence, much like many of our other players have done in previous seasons, even the imperious Flint. Remember how much Joe Bryan was being slated last season at left back? And what is the main difference this season? Confidence.

LJ needs to talk to Hörður, get his opinion on his own performance, congratulate him for the throw, tell him to do his best on the unternationsl break, and that he is playing again for our next match. 

Just like managers, players sometimes need to be given some time. They are only human after all!

If after being given a reasonable chance, there is no improvement, then clearly he isn't up to it. But one match is not enough to truly judge any player, good or bad.

2 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Hope LJ's man management skills are better than most on here. 

Magnússon's league start at left back is in a six-pointer against Colin's Cardiff and the game is moved forward. Everything says "BIG GAME". He is an international but he has been relegated to a bit part player for us. He also knows that he is likely to be targeted by Cardiif as they attack down the right so much & that because he isn't our usual left back Colin will tell his team to get at him. Plus he has Baker inside him who may not be 100% fit. In those circumstances, having some nerves would be only human.

Agree that he didn't play well, particularly first half, but the winning goal for Flint wouldn't have happened without him. He needs a run of a few games to get some confidence, much like many of our other players have done in previous seasons, even the imperious Flint. Remember how much Joe Bryan was being slated last season at left back? And what is the main difference this season? Confidence.

LJ needs to talk to Hörður, get his opinion on his own performance, congratulate him for the throw, tell him to do his best on the unternationsl break, and that he is playing again for our next match. 

Just like managers, players sometimes need to be given some time. They are only human after all!

If after being given a reasonable chance, there is no improvement, then clearly he isn't up to it. But one match is not enough to truly judge any player, good or bad.

Whilst all this is true, the guy is an experienced international player, big games should be the norm for him. He comes across as too nice, I am not saying that the Championship is harder than International football, but it's different. He had 2 chances to put both the man and the ball into touch before their goal, but he tried to tackle him in a way that would allow him to play it out from the back. His distribution is supposed to be a cut above, but he appeared to be happy to just get rid of the ball even when he had time to distribute it properly. Great long throw though. 

I'm amazed at times that some are so quick to slate one ir two of our players.

Firstly very little game preparation time after Wright was ruled out at 3pm on Friday. A reshuffled back line did alright as a whole to deny Cardiff really clearcut sights of goal.

I agree that my first reaction to their goal was "Why didn't Mags and Joe kick it out for a corner?" But after some thought, if either had lashed at the ball, it could easily have rebounded towards goal or one of them might have connected with Hoilett instead of the ball and conceded a penalty.

As for Hörður's misplaced clearances. He is a defender who has been brought up in Italian football to bring a ball under control and pass it. Yet, it appears that the instructions from LJ yesterday, were to hit the long balls from Cardiff straight back up the field and thus negate their tactics.

Our team is a sum of eleven parts and as a team gained a very valuable win. All the parts contributed in different ways so why do we have to pick one out for a slagging?

And how many of the critics have ever played professionally at this level? One or two, perhaps five or six but certainly not 99% of us.

13 hours ago, Harry said:

Hopefully people seeing what I said last year. He's not actually very good, but his twitter persona makes him a starter!!! 

When pretty much this whole forum were calling for him last year, I was a lone voice saying his distribution was poor, his desire to win a header was lacking and only his personality was convincing people to play him.  

I honestly wish him the best, and he's clearly a top bloke, but he's not championship quality. 

I disagree Harry.  My problem is that the player I saw in the opening dozen games last year (at CB) has regressed.  I’ve only seen him a couple of times this season in fairness, and in each he’s taken a while to settle into the game.  There us a player in there, imho, but with Baker coming back, Bryan ‘s excellent start to season at LB, Kelly’s emergence, I do wonder whether his future lies elsewhere.....but not in the 17/18 season.  Had we loaned him to Rostock, LJ would’ve been slated.  He’s done ok in the cup games, but not at the level I saw him at last season, until confidence started to wane.  Is it a mental thing?  Some pros are very fragile.  No good saying, he’s an international, he should be able to come in at a minute’s notice.

13 hours ago, spudski said:

Whilst I understand where people are coming from, I think the lad just needs a run of games. He seems a confidence type player. Plus he wouldn't have thought he would have been playing today...thrown in with Wright suspended...and against Cardiff. Made some mistakes...

However...did anyone watch the movement in front of Mags when he received the ball? I felt for him. Whilst I love Bryan for what he does best, he's bloody murder for going hiding when he needs a rest.  He did it so many times today when Mags received the ball. Which resulted in either poor distribution as no option on, or a pass back.

Bryans a clever bugger...I'd be pissing in his ear if I were Mags.

Watch Bryan next time...nothing worst than moving behind an opposition player so as not to receive a pass.

However...in saying that. I'd love Kelly to be given a run of games in that position.

Wasn’t there, but it was something I said a lot last season along similar lines.  Bryan’s angles are not good at LM.  Golbourne suffered the same fate at LB last season with Joe in front of him.  SG the player called out.  Also, Hörður played better with SG, than with JB.  I remember Gerry Sweeney once telling a group of us that the wide midfielder in front of him at York (I think) didn’t create any angles and therefore Sweens had no-one to pass to, so all he could do was hit the channels, incurring the wrath of the fans.  This a guy who played countless top flight games....who was used to having the massively underrated, but clever, unselfish, Taunton in front of him.  They made each other.  Kept it simple.

12 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Woodrow looked crap. Looked knackered the second he came on.

Ever came on as sub before?  Sometimes it’s diffucult to get the pace....was a frenetic Derby.  

12 hours ago, Beni71 said:

We all have different opinions and I can only speak from personal experience that in my own work career my performance has been impacted by feedback , adjusting to change. My excuse is that I’m a human 

That’s why I resigned Beno!

13 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

We CANNOT sell Flint now. Starting price £10 mill, with no real desire to let go even then. Pay him what he needs. Keep Aden.

I agree with that. The only ones that should be sold are those that don’t have a future at AG.

I’ve not always been AFs greatest fan but he’s playing well at the moment - as are many others - we don’t need the money or need to cash in and we’re in a great position at the moment.

If any of the better ones are sold “as it represented good business” then I’d be disappointed.

13 hours ago, chipdawg said:

Magnússon is great when given time and space. When he has time to read and process the game and time to get the ball under and pick a pass, he's great. But you just don't get that in the Championship- especially not in a back 4 and the way that we play. If he can speed up that thought process I really think he's an asset, I'm just not sure he's ever going do that 

Think this is a key point and it equally applies to Hegeler. European and International football is generally played at a lower tempo. Both are used to that and look better in that style of play. Both, imo, are talented footballers but maybe for their sake they would be better playing in a different league. I could see HM being a star if he left and played in a league where he gets more time on the ball.

I thought for their goal he was indecisive because he was afraid of giving away a pen.

That is where a lack of experience shines out.

I imagine Baily Wright would have made a better job of that situation, but we musnt be too hard on Maggs.

He is still a kid after all. If he is still doing it when he is 26 then thats different

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Wonder what will happen with:

• Hinds
  • Moore
  • Morrell
  • McCouksky

All out on loan til 1st Jan.

Moore, imho, could come back in and offer us some versatility as cover, but might be to the detriment to his development.

All look to have lots of potential. Moore and Hinds particularly.

4 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I didn’t see the game. But given the reaction on here and through watching the highlights, he obviously didn’t have a good game...

However, he’s unlucky for the first goal. He gets the block in without being rash and 9 times out of 10, he’ll come out with the ball. But the real question here is, Christ almighty, what is Joe Bryan doing? Is he just stood there assessing Hörður? He’s had a brilliant season, but he needs to take the blame for us conceding that. 2 on 1 and there’s no way their attacker gets through. Stand and watch = goal. 

The first thing in bold: the reaction on here doesn't give you a fair view of anything happening on the pitch. The second thing, Hörður had a decent game and can be happy with his performance. Your comment on Joe Bryan is 100% correct. Hörður didn't do badly defensively for the goal and closed the player down twice but there is no willingness from another player to help out, which would have prevented the goal. It is a team game and hopefully Joe Bryan learns that soon. He is a brilliant player but has to take the blame here.  

36 minutes ago, Benni said:

The first thing in bold: the reaction on here doesn't give you a fair view of anything happening on the pitch. The second thing, Hörður had a decent game and can be happy with his performance. Your comment on Joe Bryan is 100% correct. Hörður didn't do badly defensively for the goal and closed the player down twice but there is no willingness from another player to help out, which would have prevented the goal. It is a team game and hopefully Joe Bryan learns that soon. He is a brilliant player but has to take the blame here.  

Not much of a neutral view 

Hörður didn't do badly defensively for the goal'

:blink:

loyalties aside - you genuinely believe that ?

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not much of a neutral view 

Hörður didn't do badly defensively for the goal'

:blink:

loyalties aside - you genuinely believe that ?

Yes, I do. He closed the player down well but didn't get the help he needed which would have prevented the goal. What do you think about Joe Bryans part?

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Wonder what will happen with:

• Hinds
  • Moore
  • Morrell
  • McCouksky

All out on loan til 1st Jan.

Moore, imho, could come back in and offer us some versatility as cover, but might be to the detriment to his development.

By all accounts he's having a mare at Cheltenham. Too physical for him ?

31 minutes ago, Benni said:

Yes, I do. He closed the player down well but didn't get the help he needed which would have prevented the goal. What do you think about Joe Bryans part?

Having seen it live and on TV since Hodur was initially out of position for the incoming pass. Inexperience maybe. He closed the guy down but was too weak. He should have gone through the guy and conceded a corner. Bryan arrived too late to help out.

1 hour ago, Benni said:

If you were manager of Bristol City, would you start Magnússon every game? - if yes, in what position and who would you drop?

Is the Bristol City defence better than the Iceland one?

5 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

i think the trouble was they were trying to play fancy football and dribble the ball out the box when in that situation just a massive hoof into touch was what was needed.

1 hour ago, Benni said:

See my comments earlier in the post

Dont Think any player could expect Hollet to have got past Hordurs on bye line

The guy has barely had a game all season. He came in and played out of position in a huge match and helped us win. Yes he was wasn't brilliant, but neither were Bobby Reid, Callum O'Dowda and Josh Brownhill for most of last season.  But acknowledging they had potential they continued to get chances and they've been outstanding this season. Bobby has been work in progress for years and look at him now!  Joe Bryan has also had significant and unnecessary criticism on this forum in recent seasons and now looks like a world beater.  I wish we could encourage and support our younger players and build, not knock, their confidence.  Everyone wants instant success these days...sack the manager, write off the player, etc, etc. It's such short term, small minded thinking. 

Well done Hörður for the assist for the goal which won us 3 points yesterday. I hope you continue to get chances to support the team as an important member of our squad.  

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

If you were manager of Bristol City, would you start Magnússon every game? - if yes, in what position and who would you drop?

Is the Bristol City defence better than the Iceland one?

I wouldn't necessarily do that but he would start as a centre back with Baker. 

The Iceland defence is million times better than the Bristol City one and the key to that is simple: every player in the Icelandic team defends, starting from the striker. Players are always doubled up for assistance and you would not see a "defending" like Joe Bryan's for the goal yesterday - because Joe didn't do anything (he wasn't interested) Baker had two players to guard. You always have to expect a striker to go past your defender, hence you need to be ready to assist.

3 minutes ago, Benni said:

I wouldn't necessarily do that but he would start as a centre back with Baker. 

The Iceland defence is million times better than the Bristol City one and the key to that is simple: every player in the Icelandic team defends, starting from the striker. Players are always doubled up for assistance and you would not see a "defending" like Joe Bryan's for the goal yesterday - because Joe didn't do anything (he wasn't interested) Baker had two players to guard. You always have to expect a striker to go past your defender, hence you need to be ready to assist.

Sorry to shout but on current form YOU CAN'T DROP FLINT!!!

Archived