IGNORED

Is this team better than the 2008 play off team

Top Robin

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The 2008 squad were sent out to defend as a priority. This current squad are sent out to win the game as attractively as as possible.

The current season (so far) is on a par with the great stuff that Danny Wilson played but with better players and at a higher level.

Im enjoying the football that LJ is serving up.

I will concede that Basso was just about a better keeper than FF, based largely on FF weak kicking.

heavens above man, Basso is infinitely superior. with all due respect to frankie.

1 hour ago, WessexPest said:

I think by some considerable distance. As good as that team was, we had some pretty brutal defeats - 0-3 at Barnsley, 0-6 at Ipswich. Our goal difference was barely positive.

Weird that we limped over the promotion line in 06/07 only to set the higher league alight the following year. Very good promotion sides in 1998 and 2015 yet we were shocking in the second tier both following seasons.

We've already had a brutal 3-0 defeat. 

43 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

You seriously think that this squad has a "far superior" goalie than Basso then?

You don't think that the 2008 squad "understood their jobs"?

Let's see if this lot can match their playoff final appearance before crowing too much.

For what it is worth Basso, Orr, Elliott and McIndoe would definitely get in, Adebola and Carey might, the latter despite CB being very strong for us this season.

I thought about mentioning adebola - much maligned by some, erroneously imo.

And I'll take Paterson over McIndoe. 

Carey doesn't get in for me because, as you say, CB is particularly strong at the mo.

39 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

C'mon I loved that team but is Elliot better than Korey or Carey better then Flint or wright,we had spirit that season but don't tell me you think they would get in this team 

Elliott as a high energy destroyer is superior to the marvellous Korey imo. In that season 2007/08 he was a force of nature, his annus mirabilis, and covered every blade of grass week in week out (don't forget - he had to do the running for 2 in midfield that season :thumbsup:) and also weighed in with some crucial goals.

Quick answer , yes.  But ....

The League is better , and much harder now Imo. We are more aware, cleverer , and carry more consistent threat. The GJ side overachieved in that season massively, a little like the start of last year when kitchen sink football got us points.
This year we are where we are on merit, playing some great stuff and are more street wise as well. I don't think we have to achieve the same to say this lot are as good, as I said the League has moved on even in those 9 short years. If we could match their finishing position it would be great, but even if we don't I still think the current side is better. I would say a fully firing Elliot would be close as would Macindoe and Basso, but apart from the keeper you would have a case to pick the current player over the other 2 from 2008.  

Big difference is that we have a young hungry squad, loads of skill and potential, Wembley and hull we fielded a team that to a man would have collected their P45’s had we beaten Hull!

the disappointment of that defeat still haunts me just as much as the memory of the team that did not play for the shirt

I think the fact of the matter is, that now, barring the top big 3 Prem teams, the top 12 in the championship could give any other team left in the Prem a run for their money.

If our current 3 wins counted vs Prem teams this season, we'd be 17th in the Prem despite every other team having played 11 games to our THREE and we STILL wont be inside the relegation zone.

The Prem may be one of the most watched/of interest in the world, but the Championship adds unpredictability because anyone can beat anyone. IMO the Championship is the better league. 

Dont think our 2008 team would match when back then there was a clear difference.

Far better. The 2008 team relied on a work ethic,lots of low scoring wins and a load of luck... luck they earned through hard graft.

This team is playing against much better players and are bossing games for long periods... and scoring.

Will they end up higher up the table than the class of 2008? Who knows.

Are they better than the class of 2008? By a country mile imo. 

Our top scorer back then I am sure netted just 8 times. We have a player over that already and a defender half way there already.

4 hours ago, steveybadger said:

The current team can do all the 08 team could do plus a lot more. But I can't agree the latter would get relegated - the rock solid team spirit,  Commitment right until the end ( how many late goals?) and excellent defence would have meant they'd be nowhere near, IMHO.

Bit of a modern day Barnsley then?

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

One of my biggest regrets watching City is feeling that we never got the best out of Lee Trundle - genius on his day.

Remember he was 30 when he joined us. Big mistake spending a million on him I reckon.

9 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Bit disrespectful IMHO

We had some wily players with big hearts and were an efficient unit and difficult to beat

Someone like McIndoe or Marv , Bradley Orr would all fit in perfectly and enhance this squad / side

Not for me. Wasn't meant in a disrespectful way, is just my opinion.  Elliott and Orr and maybe Carey are 3 that would've been okay. Maybe Jamie Mac too. 

Football has completely changed since then. We played 4-4-2- or 4-4-1-1 with a ball winning CM, ball playing CM and wingers; that doesn't happen anymore. Out and out wingers are now just wide midfielders because football is now so much more possession/passing based you dont just a winger the ball for him to run with every time now. 

We hardly scored any goals that season as well. If we had a strike force of Adebola, Showunmi, Byfield and Trundle now against teams that are naturally much stronger and quicker now we wouldn't be able to get in behind anyone. 

Relying on Being hard working doesn't cut it in the championship anymore, maybe in L1 is still does. Teams like Burton and Bolton will rely on hard work over talent. 

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

This current squad is managed by a far better and deeper thinking manager and therefore this squad understands completely what their job is. 

LJ has signed players that have the ability to adopt different formations and styles of play as required - something pretty much unheard of in 2008.

This squad is far superior in every department.

A lot of you have rubbished Robbo's post here, which I know is the default position for some but there is a good point here. I don't agree with the "deeper thinking Manager" part, for his time johnson Sr was quite innovative in his use of stats and targets he set players. He was however more similar to Warnock than his son in other ways. He brought together a team of journeymen and built them into a tough to beat unit, but he left no legacy. 

This team is still growing and even if LJ was to leave tomorrow, you feel he would leave us with a legacy for another Manager to build on.

This was basically the exam question Channel 5 set for the soundbite after the match (they always ask for comment on a specific question, not the match itself). It's much easier to type the answer I gave yesterday and be more coherent: this team is much better because it has the ingredient of skill. It has patterns of play and technical ability for higher up the leagues which I think is why the three cup games against Prem teams, albeit weakened, have looked evenly matched.

As per my remark yesterday, the team ten years ago had heart, and it had graft, but teams that go up and survive have technical ability and skill, they're not just the ones briefly punching above their weight. I would say even today I would back the team of ten years ago to be more resilient and never say die than the current crop, but in LJ's own words, the 'bouncebackability' has improved this year (we are yet to go into meltdown), and on every other measure this team is better.

On 11/4/2017 at 23:46, Robbored said:

Certainly Marv and/or Noble. Two very different types of midfielder. 

Marv could provide the 'bite' this current squad sometimes lack and Noble the sheer class that's been missing since he left,

Imagine Noble at his best playing for LJ now. He'd be even more impressive.

Noble certainly was class (on the pitch), but it was too infrequent and, even then, rarely lasted 90 minutes.

The Marv that played in that playoff season was fantastic, would walk into this team now for sure. As a defensive unit I would go with the 2008 team but flair, excitement and attacking play certainly todays team

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 07:17, petehinton said:

We hardly scored any goals that season as well. If we had a strike force of Adebola, Showunmi, Byfield and Trundle now against teams that are naturally much stronger and quicker now we wouldn't be able to get in behind anyone.

Yes, we scored 54 goals that season. Already, after one third of the season, we have scored 26 this term.  Similarly we conceded 53 in 07/08, this year, after one third of the season, we have conceded 16. Extrapolate those and you roughly get to scored 75, conceded 45 this season. GD +30 would be huge.

We're better both at the back and going forward, and all that against stronger, fitter, more skilful opposition.

For me you'd maybe take Basso and Orr into the starting XI and then probably include Carey and Elliott in the squad...but other than that I'm not sure who you would have from that 07/08 team.

Of the squad back then, the only ones who in my opinion would be in our first team squad now are:

Basso, Orr, McAllister, Noble, McIndoe, Trundle, Elliott and Adebola.

Of that lot, Basso, Orr, Elliott and McIndoe would be in contention for starting places, the rest would be squad players.

So based on that. We're better now.

In that season we were very fortunate to be where we ended up, OK it was fun apart from the last horrible episode, but it seemed every time we lost all those around us lost and when we won all around us lost...shame our luck couldn't hold out for another 90 minutes. 

This team is better in every respect, but I want Pisano back asap, the Twin Towers at the back is the best in this division, and we have the best forward by a country mile in Reid, O'Dowda, Smith, Djuric, Fammy, Joe, the whole bunch are class, and the whole team is a confident relaxed bunch .Add to that the best coach in the league well apart from Bruce I guess, it is frightening what they can achieve.. 

1 hour ago, 1bristolcity said:

In that season we were very fortunate to be where we ended up, OK it was fun apart from the last horrible episode, but it seemed every time we lost all those around us lost and when we won all around us lost...shame our luck couldn't hold out for another 90 minutes. 

This team is better in every respect, but I want Pisano back asap, the Twin Towers at the back is the best in this division, and we have the best forward by a country mile in Reid, O'Dowda, Smith, Djuric, Fammy, Joe, the whole bunch are class, and the whole team is a confident relaxed bunch .Add to that the best coach in the league well apart from Bruce I guess, it is frightening what they can achieve.. 

Bit early to be on the natch mate! 

Archived