IGNORED

Frankie needs a rest

bengalcub

Frankies distribution is appalling.  You would have thought he would have learned by now.  If he could throw a ball out quicker, we could create some quick counter attacks.

Steele's distribution is really good by comparison, but he's perhaps not such a solid keeper yet.  Ive been impressed by what i've seen of him though.

3 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Distribution appalling you say? 

Heres how he compares with the other keepers of the top 5 sides in the league. 

IMG_9499.PNG

The eye test does say its poor in fairness.

I'm one of his biggest fans but he's not without his flaws.

2 hours ago, bengalcub said:

Taking so long isn’t a massive problem but to then smash it out of play is ridiculous..

When did he kick it out of play last night?

Like it or lump it he's part of the reason we are 5th in the league and in a quater final of the cup. We also have one of the best defensive records in league.. He's a major part of that. He's far from perfect but is up there with bobby Reid , Callum oDowda as one of most improved players this season.

Still we lost last night so some numpties need to moan about something! 

The modern keeper has to be as good with his feet as he is with his hands.

Teams around the world nowadays, want Keepers to be like an extra outfield player. That's what Clubs now want.

Think of it this way...an example...Korey has the ball in midfield, looks up, decides he's not going to pass forward, just in case he loses the ball to the opposition or it's intercepted.

He holds onto it, gets chased down, moves the ball sideways or backwards to the defence who in turn pass back to Fielding.

What does he do next? Punts it hopefully in a direction, making it a 50-50 ball.

What's the point in that? Korey may as well have tried the pass, that was less likely to be 50-50 and had more chance of breaking the lines.

It baffles me when players don't try the pass through the line, especially when we have players to cover if we lose possession, and would much rather pass back to the keeper and make it a 50-50 ball. Complete madness imo.

I think it's easy to get a bit obsessed with FF's kicking (I am definitely equally to blame there). But its definitely improved this season. I feared back passes under pressure with FF last season but whilst I still feel anxious in those scenarios he has dealt with them every time this season.

Indeed he looks confident on the ball. His distribution is still frustrating at times but he is pretty much faultless between the sticks this season and a number of the points we picked up early on were down to outstanding performances by him. Judging by Carey 6's stat he is actually arguably Championship quality in his accuracy anyway. 

+ If you drop FF based purely on his distribution and ignore the huge contribution he has made you put extra pressure on Steele because you are setting a very high bar for remaining in the side. For me a huge part of being a top keeper being able to bounce back from a silly mistake with confidence. If you put the GK role in a position where not being 100% perfect means losing your place then you make the role impossible for 1st choice and understudy. 

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

Frankie always seems to be the scapegoat from some on here when we lose, they don't post positive things when he plays well which is nearly all the time. We've tried many other keepers but Frankie's seen them all off.

He's been an almost permanent scapegoat since he joined, and various managers have tried to upgrade on him God knows how many times. 

And yet, here he is, still in the side and as good as he's ever been. 

I actually noted that many times last night he just rolled the ball out to one of the back four, something that I've not noticed him do much before.

Frankie is not technically the best keeper in the league , he may not even be technically the best keeper at City but he is a winner and an important part of the team for his drive and determination.

Whoever replaces Frankie will have to be immense.

3 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Frankies distribution is appalling.  You would have thought he would have learned by now.  If he could throw a ball out quicker, we could create some quick counter attacks.

Steele's distribution is really good by comparison, but he's perhaps not such a solid keeper yet.  Ive been impressed by what i've seen of him though.

Haha, the other day I watched the City v Blackpool game match of the day 66/67. one thing I noticed was the quick distribution of Gibbo.

As soon as he collected the ball he was throwing it out to our fullbacks.

Another point I know it was 50 years ago but Gordon Milne for Blackpool that day was the total midfield player that a lot are crying out for now.

If anyone has 42 mins it's worth a watch on youtube. What with Milne totally controlling the game and our soon to be own Alan Skirton ripping us a big one wroth a watch.

8 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Haha, the other day I watched the City v Blackpool game match of the day 66/67. one thing I noticed was the quick distribution of Gibbo.

As soon as he collected the ball he was throwing it out to our fullbacks.

Another point I know it was 50 years ago but Gordon Milne for Blackpool that day was the total midfield player that a lot are crying out for now.

If anyone has 42 mins it's worth a watch on youtube. What with Milne totally controlling the game and our soon to be own Alan Skirton ripping us a big one wroth a watch.

Short game.

Archived