Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Just now, cityshippers said:

Just heard on bbc breakfast that city want to build a 3000 seat arena next to the stadium. So its official now!

@Dollymarie has been leaving cryptic hints about this for 18 months now has she? #dollyITK

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Would BS insist on a station at AG now too? Especially, if this report claims, negates the need for an arena in TM?

watch this space, (as long as our transport secretary isn't full of it) 

• Like 1

Worth noting here that a 3000 seat venue would be comfortably more than the academy (1800) and Colston Hall (1900) for concerts. Removable seating should nudge that nearer 4000 which would be comparable to Plymouth Pavillions size. That venue hosted Liam Gallagher last night to give an idea of artist calibre it could attract.

With the cost overrun of Bristol arena, the council will be well behind this as long as none of them are dog walkers...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Worth noting here that a 3000 seat venue would be comfortably more than the academy (1800) and Colston Hall (1900) for concerts. Removable seating should nudge that nearer 4000 which would be comparable to Plymouth Pavillions size. That venue hosted Liam Gallagher last night to give an idea of artist calibre it could attract.

With the cost overrun of Bristol arena, the council will be well behind this as long as none of them are dog walkers...

can't see that being much of a problem as it's on land we already own, and the training ground part has already been agreed a year or 2 ago as part of the village green settlement 

the other thing is will we get our new training pitches before the gas?, who's going to open a book

• Haha 3

Just now, CyderInACan said:

There must  be a suitably sized car park as part of this development though. 

Bet @Davefevs is excited about a proper arena for the Flyers!

already got the carpark at Ashton Gate

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

the other thing is will we get our new training pitches before the gas?, who's going to open a book

It certainley won't be WAQ's cheque book that's opening

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Saw Morrissey in Plymouth a few years ago. Decent size venue.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

There must  be a suitably sized car park as part of this development though. 

Bet @Davefevs is excited about a proper arena for the Flyers!

1000 multi story I’m led to believe 

22 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

can't see that being much of a problem as it's on land we already own, and the training ground part has already been agreed a year or 2 ago as part of the village green settlement 

That land is nether the clubs nore Bristol Sport's, It's steven Lansdowns and he can do anything he wishes with it, it's not as if he'll get planning permission for it

The above is your own post in another thread.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, bobbyhutchscurlymullet said:

In the BBC article, I take it what they mean by the consortium made up of the city's 2 football teams, they mean bcfc and bcfc ladies? 

Well quite. Who else? It's not going to include Manor Farm is it? 

54 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

@Dollymarie has been leaving cryptic hints about this for 18 months now has she? #dollyITK

Haven’t wanted to jinx anything after all we went through last time. Still not wanting to say much now. Just in case. Wickes don’t have any newts living there do they? :fear:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dollymarie said:

Haven’t wanted to jinx anything after all we went through last time. Still not wanting to say much now. Just in case. Wickes don’t have any newts living there do they? :fear:

natterjack toads :/ 

So Bristol City’s worst kept secret is out, seriously there can’t be anybody who didn’t know about this can there? Now just get on and get it built. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Fair play SL, great move, but this isn’t an excuse to ditch the arena. 3k is nowhere near large enough a concert venue for what this city needs

Cardiff is only a 5000 seater,

3000 is seating only it will prob be 5000 standing 

2 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Fair play SL, great move, but this isn’t an excuse to ditch the arena. 3k is nowhere near large enough a concert venue for what this city needs

In a nutshell. A 3/4k multi-purpose venue means we compete with the likes of Plymouth whereas we need to be punching up there with the likes of Newcastle, Leeds, Glasgow......well, every other major city in the UK that realised the economic benefits of arenas 20 years ago!  

What SL's plan should be doing is pushing the incompetent major into action on the arena, not giving him a "get-out" ticket.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

In a nutshell. A 3/4k multi-purpose venue means we compete with the likes of Plymouth whereas we need to be punching up there with the likes of Newcastle, Leeds, Glasgow......well, every other major city in the UK that realised the economic benefits of arenas 20 years ago!  

What SL's plan should be doing is pushing the incompetent major into action on the arena, not giving him a "get-out" ticket.

Exactly. That would still be less than half the size of Cardiff Motorpoint. An arena of 3k is not big enough for Bristol to think 'job done' imo. It's no get out.

Edited by 29AR
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Exactly. That would still be less than half the size of Cardiff Motorpoint. An arena of 3k is not big enough for Bristol to think 'job done' imo. It's no get out.

it's not an arena for bristol though is it, its a for Lansdown and his sporting empire and any entertainment Bristol Sport want to put on

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

it's not an arena for bristol though is it, its a for Lansdown and his sporting empire and any entertainment Bristol Sport want to put on

But you dont want the powers that be at the council to see this and take there foot off the gas with the proper Arena is i think people's worry..

What actually is the crack then with the proper Bristol Arena? As i just drove past the the bridge and land it is supposedly suppose to be being built on and it got me wondering.. is it a funding or panning issue? The new brridge looks sound and the land is deffinetly in a decent location next to Temple Meads..

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Yeah that's the point, this is not an excuse to lift the pedal on pressure for a substantial live music venue 

@bris red beat me to it 

Edited by 29AR
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, bris red said:

But you dont want the powers that be at the council to see this and take there foot off the gas with the proper Arena is i think people's worry..

What actually is the crack then with the proper Bristol Arena? As i just drove past the the bridge and land it is supposedly suppose to be being built on and it got me wondering.. is it a funding or panning issue? The new brridge looks sound and the land is deffinetly in a decent location next to Temple Meads..

Funding. Construction costs have risen since the original plan and Marv the Fraud doesn’t want to pay for it 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Funding. Construction costs have risen since the original plan and Marv the Fraud doesn’t want to pay for it 

It could have been done by now on the original budget , but the 'Counci' cronies seem to like meetings, discussions and tea parties rather than getting things done. I remember a long time ago that the council was unsure about spending £15m to complete, if only !
I think I read that the Rapid transit is £100m over budget , for improved times over what? four bus routes? Absolute disgrace. They were even going to spend £2m on improving a route at Bradley Stoke by about a minute. Yet they can't organise a venue that would improve the profile of the City, an generate revenue. 
When they look like they are making advancements they decide that 27 parking spaces is ample for a 10,000 seater venue. They could have put a 10 year old in charge and he would have done a better job.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

It could have been done by now on the original budget , but the 'Counci' cronies seem to like meetings, discussions and tea parties rather than getting things done. I remember a long time ago that the council was unsure about spending £15m to complete, if only !
I think I read that the Rapid transit is £100m over budget , for improved times over what? four bus routes? Absolute disgrace. They were even going to spend £2m on improving a route at Bradley Stoke by about a minute. Yet they can't organise a venue that would improve the profile of the City, an generate revenue. 
When they look like they are making advancements they decide that 27 parking spaces is ample for a 10,000 seater venue. They could have put a 10 year old in charge and he would have done a better job.

Quite. The systematic problem of our council for the past 40+ years.  This Mayor lark has made it no better than it was before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobbyhutchscurlymullet said:

In the BBC article, I take it what they mean by the consortium made up of the city's 2 football teams, they mean bcfc and bcfc ladies? 

There is surely no way on earth the sags are involved!  They're fully financially committed to a new roof for the gents or something arent they?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This would be really good, especially if it was used for music and comedians etc. Could offer presales to season ticket holders and Forever bristol members.

37 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Who would've thought it eh?  Large publicly funded construction project has a low quote and then 'Construction costs rise' after contract awarded.  

THat may be a bit libellous but hey ho

Edited by The Bard
  • Like 6

18 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Quite. The systematic problem of our council for the past 40+ years.  This Mayor lark has made it no better than it was before.

Agree, worse if anything. The last one was an egotist and self serving and from reports this one is a bully who does not like being disagreed with.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Who would've thought it eh?  Large publicly funded construction project has a low quote and then 'Construction costs rise' after contract awarded.  

To be libellous it has to be untrue, I think you are pretty safe.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, The Bard said:

See Metrobus

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Has Pip read the news yet...?

Guest of honour I believe for the Manchester game as reward for her unstinting services in getting our new stadium built.

Joking aside I'm so glad Ashton Gate was redeveloped - we now have a proper stadium, not some flat pack on a rubbish dump

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, The Bard said:

From my experience, the increase in cost is generally down to poor design and an insufficiently scoped scheme.

In a race to the bottom with lowest priced tendering, there are very few winners

• Like 1

Metrobus - white elephant, laughing stock, criminal waste of taxpayers money, will contribute to to City’s chronic traffic issues, will benefit a minority, ill thought out and conceived.

I’m hoping I’ll be proved wrong, but I doubt it, the shambolic shower of shit that run the traffic management in Bristol leave with with a feeling of despondency with every announcement and project......  how many times do you see signs saying “Apologies for any disruption, whilst we carry out improvements”  I am struggling to think of one “improvement” that has improved traffic flow.

A ring road that has roundabouts and traffic lights instead of slip roads, dual carriageway narrowing to one lane, removing the flyover at Temple Gate, just a couple of examples of the councils desire to clog the City with traffic, for many no viable public transport is in place and for those of us who aren’t in the first flush of youth, Bristol is a hilly City to cycle round, as well as it not being a pleasant experience.

• Like 12

I wonder if we're opening with 3k seating (and as people have mentioned with a concert you can have standing or extra seating in the middle areas, so would likely hold more for concerts) as a plan for what we need.

Then seeing if the council grab this opportunity with both hands and maybe "suggest" we up the seating and they'll sort the planning?  Be nice to get a Motorpoint-sized concert venue out of this too...