IGNORED

Never Again...

Kid in the Riot

6 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Nothing to do with how many away fans there are at Ashton Gate or any ground.

If it was all down to crowd numbers, then how have we won 6 times away from home this season! 

Away from home we have 80%? Of the crowd against us, at home we have 10-15% against us. 

That's more than slightly flawed. It's a factual statement to say that teams perform better at home. Something which has been tested and proven by hundreds of teams for over a hundred years!

Clearly, the more the balance is tipped towards nullifying that advantage, the more you reduce the likelihood of your success. 

Giving the whole end to the league leaders more than leveled the playing field imo. 

27 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Was it the Wolves fans who made Frankie go charging out of his box and get sent off? As that’s what cost us the points today, not the allocation of tickets. 

12 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Nothing to do with how many away fans there are at Ashton Gate or any ground.

If it was all down to crowd numbers, then how have we won 6 times away from home this season! 

Away from home we have 80%? Of the crowd against us, at home we have 10-15% against us. 

It's interesting that you're both making a connection between size/quality of support versus results, when i have made no such connection - perhaps you could explain? 

Been saying this for ages. Either the club totally buys into the marginal gains thing or it doesn’t. Having vociferous 3000+ away fans behind a goal isn’t going to help the home team.

In my opinion, both ends of the ground should be home support with the away support tucked high up like Newcastle or in a corner near a noisy end. They should be somewhere with a shallow rake where it’s harder to create an atmosphere. The logical place would be the lower lansdown. 

The club - understandably I guess - want to keep the 3/4 bowl intact. Real shame how the stadium was designed in this respect.

Statistically I’m sure we seem to score more goals at the south stand end - no evidence for that but perhaps further evidence of the benefit from having home fans behind a goal.

54 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Never, never, never again should a club come to Ashton Gate and be given the entire Atyeo stand as an allocation. Completely unacceptable especially as the game was a sell-out. 

We give Man U a couple of thousand and those ******* the whole stand?!?!

Sorry, but hopefully lesson learnt after this evening...

I’ve not read the rest of the thread, but I’m pretty sure that If we’d bothered singing more than the odd occasion, then it really wouldn’t have mattered!

Our support was poor tonight. 

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Been saying this for ages. Either the club totally buys into the marginal gains thing or it doesn’t. Having vociferous 3000+ away fans behind a goal isn’t going to help the home team.

In my opinion, both ends of the ground should be home support with the away support tucked high up like Newcastle or in a corner near a noisy end. They should be somewhere with a shallow rake where it’s harder to create an atmosphere. The logical place would be the lower lansdown. 

The club - understandably I guess - want to keep the 3/4 bowl intact. Real shame how the stadium was designed in this respect.

Statistically I’m sure we seem to score more goals at the south stand end - no evidence for that but perhaps further evidence of the benefit from having home fans behind a goal.

Couldn't agree more. LJ talked about flashing things up on the advertising hoardings to indicate tactical changes to the team, he's all over this kind of thing, and you have to assume it makes a difference. There has to be discussion going on off the pitch about this after tonight.

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I’ve not read the rest of the thread, but I’m pretty sure that If we’d bothered singing more than the odd occasion, then it really wouldn’t have mattered!

Wasn't poor where I was sat, but I'd rather have total silence than a loud away following dominating the atmosphere. Can't help the players, especially at home.

'4k+ of them larging it like it's a cup game' - this is the problem too. When the away support does go over a certain amount there's also an intimidation factor that goes alongside it in and outside of the ground. I remember Cotterill once saying about how these gains can affect the team. 

I only watched on tv and appreciate that sky set their microphones in a way which skews the true picture but the atmosphere didn’t sound great today.

Heard Wolves fans singing ‘is this a library’ and going ‘shhhhh’ etc. Was the atmosphere that bad? Bit of a poor show if we can’t generate a good atmosphere for a top of the table clash at a sold out AG..

1 minute ago, ZiderEyed said:

Wasn't poor where I was sat, but I'd rather have total silence than a loud away following dominating the atmosphere. Can't help the players, especially at home.

Away support will only dominate Home support if the Home support is quiet. Point proved..?! 

One of the worst home atmospheres of the season imo. 

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I had a ticket for the game but couldn't make it. The atmosphere sounded decent until the last 10-15 mins on tv.

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

Away support will only dominate Home support if the Home support is quiet. Point proved..?! 

One of the worst home atmospheres of the season imo. 

Would you not say it's better to have away fans in a place where it's harder for them to make an atmosphere?

Just now, red84 said:

I had a ticket for the game but couldn't make it. The atmosphere sounded decent until the last 10-15 mins on tv.

You can’t tell on tv, with the mic control. 

Weolves support was excellent. Ours was below average. 

4 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Would you not say it's better to have away fans in a place where it's harder for them to make an atmosphere?

No. I relish a big away following. Usually spurs us on. 

Tonight it didn’t fior some reason. Hey ho. Just saying what I heard. 

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

No. I relish a big away following. Usually spurs us on. 

Tonight it didn’t fior some reason. Hey ho. Just saying what I heard. 

Fair enough, can't say I've ever seen it spur us on, and some more cynical than me might've said it carried them over the line.

All about opinions and that I guess.

2 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Fair enough, can't say I've ever seen it spur us on, and some more cynical than me might've said it carried them over the line.

All about opinions and that I guess.

I think a deflection off of Pack and Flint falling over was more to blame. 

Maybe it was their support. If so, then fair play, because our support was poor tonight. 

13 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

It's very unlike you to degrade our support mate.  I mean your time is usually spent telling us that City fans should be paying top prices to watch their team. Man of the people, you are not. You have obviously done very well in life and money comes easy for you (I suspect neither assertion is true) however to claim our support was poor tonight is embarrassing. And it certainly wasn't helped by 4k Wolfies being given free reign at one end of the ground.

1 minute ago, Mad Cyril said:

If the influence of the performance of the fans is really the biggest factor influencing the outcome of the game, then why weren't we all sacked when the team went on THAT record running string of defeats???

Difference is that a really loud following can push a team on and help drag them over the line, don't think quietness will make a team play worse. Theres a reason that Anfield used to be such a hard to place to go to and get a result.

Or we could just sack everyone.

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It's very unlike you to degrade our support mate.  I mean your time is usually spent telling us that City fans should be paying top prices to watch their team. Man of the people, you are not. You have obviously done very well in life and money comes easy for you (I suspect neither assertion is true) however to claim our support was poor tonight is embarrassing. And it certainly wasn't helped by 4k Wolfies being given free reign at one end of the ground.

I struggle to make ends meet for me and my 3 year old son. If you must know. 

That doesn’t mean that I’m unrealistic about pricing and even I can afford a season ticket. 

I didn’t say tonight was poor. It could, however, have been a hell of a lot better. 

I don’t think we need to cry about 3.5k away fans outsinging id, WHEN we do our bit. 

I’m sure you’ll also have noticed many other previous post stating how good our support usually is, whilst others are knocking it.!

Tonight it wasn’t as good. 

45 minutes ago, Manon said:

That's more than slightly flawed. It's a factual statement to say that teams perform better at home. Something which has been tested and proven by hundreds of teams for over a hundred years!

Clearly, the more the balance is tipped towards nullifying that advantage, the more you reduce the likelihood of your success. 

Giving the whole end to the league leaders more than leveled the playing field imo. 

That’s fair enough, but I’ve been to hundreds of away games, in quite a few of these we have had good and large followings, often having entire ends. It never stopped us from losing far more than we won though!!.

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

Maybe if the 22,000 others sang a little louder...

look we all know if you have travelled hundreds of miles and gone to the trouble to attend an away match you seem to take it more seriously, it's human nature we do it when we travel away it's what makes it the reason most of us do it, it just means more.

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

To those who are quite happy with the club gifting over 4,000 tickets behind the goal  to away teams I wonder if that applies to the Sheffield United game later in the season and also the play-offs?

Maybe if we give them half the Dolman as well , it will crank the atmosphere up even more as our fans will respond more 

Jobs a good un

:whistle:

;)

:laughcont:

46 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

To those who are quite happy with the club gifting over 4,000 tickets behind the goal  to away teams I wonder if that applies to the Sheffield United game later in the season and also the play-offs?

Kid we is going up automatically pal!!!

Good point 

Archived