IGNORED

Villa Fans

cheese

Not bitter at all.  Just found it laughable that Villa thought it was our big day out.  Now when I went in 1973 and we lost 1-0 - that was my big day out but then I was 12 and with my Villa supporting extended family from Birmingham and Brian Little was playing.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Your self-congratulatory posts on your support for LJ last season are quite annoying....before his appointment you posted on here several times that we should go for Terry Butcher as our manager following Cotts’ departure, then miraculously on the day of his appointment you posted “I’m erratically happy with this appointment” then five days later you posted at least twice that you thought we would be relegated, including saying “Yes, I think we are down” and then posting that you’d bet £50 on us going down.

Then seven days after his appointment you posted that we had ‘not a chance’ of beating Ipswich....then 19 days after his appointment you posted that our ‘bubble had burst’ and you predicted ‘another heavy defeat’ vs Forest...guess what?! We beat both Ipswich and Forest (away).....

So you weren’t that supportive of LJ were you? Despite the posturing and smug posts over the last few days intimating that you were one of the only ones who believed in him....

Stalker alert!:help:

Aston Villa eh, strange one really.

Villa fans think there some kind of massive club that we all should bow down to, whereas the reality is that they are a bottom 10 Premier league club that are struggling to force their way into the Championship promotion race.

Nowadays they are on a par with clubs like Boro, Sunderland etc, clubs who have been overtaken by the likes of Bournemouth and Brighton. 

Their fans think they are ‘entitled’ to win, and seem to think we actually look up to them!!!!

Seriously, I for one couldn’t care less about clubs like Aston Villa, 100 years ago they were a big club, nowadays I look upon them as a West Brom or a Stoke, two other clubs I also couldn’t give a shit about.

6 hours ago, anotherdayinparadise said:

Peterborough have over 6k on Saturday.

The greatness lies in the ability to restrict away fans. Why cram your ground with away fans on their (ahem) big day out if you don't need the pennies? Less away support the better as far as I'm concerned.

Someone needs to make some noise at your ground.  I could hear the players shouting in the first 20 minutes. Your lot only started 'singing' when it was 2-0.

4 hours ago, anotherdayinparadise said:

Remind us again how many games you beam back.:yawn:

Yeah, we only do it for the big clubs.  Like versus Brentford in April 2016.

Respect for the European Cup win in 1982 but have a look at Forest for a glimpse of Villa's future. Your club has had its best years mate - there are too many with genuine wealth nowadays. Once that parachute money runs out....ouch.

I have to say I have been amused reading this thread - as a Villa fan. i will make only one reference to the match  - and that is to say that I had much rather it had been against Leeds or Boro - or even the scum in Small Heath - rather than against a decent club like City. Then again,  if we had been playing Small Heath - we wouldn't have stopped at five.

My real reason to post is that my OCD is kicking in again - with reference to the post by Ole the portugeezer re our respective records against Man Utd.

It must be a windup, right ? Now I'm here - I'll bite

1.It was 1994 - the Final - and  none of those players he listed played - but I'm sure he knew that anyway.

2. Sealey, Parker, Bruce,  (:laugh:) Pallister, Irwin, Keane, Kanchelskis, Ince , Giggs, Hughes, Cantona.         Not a patch on Ibra/Pogba - but not to be sniffed at, surely?

3. 1971 - we are a 3rd division team - and we beat Man Utd in the LC semi - Charlton, Best, Kidd Stiles etc - again not to be sniffed at?

Anyway - its your forum - I wont intrude further - except to wish you the best of luck and hope you go one better than you did in 1971 - when by coincidence, you were the OTHER losing Semi finalists

PS Funnily I've followed Villa to some strange backwaters in football - Gigg Lane, The Manor Ground - and even Eastville - but never made it to Ashton Gate.

12 hours ago, anotherdayinparadise said:

From where I'm sitting, there appears to be an awful lot of bitterness, hence my posting. Bitterness usually breeds anger. What has the surrounding area of Villa Park got to do with anything for a start? Are we supposed to be bothered by that? Villa Park is situated alongside a grade 1 listed mansion with beautiful grounds in any case. It has fantastic heritage.

As for it being your big day out - Does it really warrant a thread? Of course it's a big day out - The figures showing away fans attendance support this. most teams in the division sell out their allocation at Villa yet don't do so elsewhere. why is that if it isn't their big day out?

Not sure why you are crowing so much. First top six team you've beaten this season is it ?  We've played you both and I know which team has played the better football and give us more problems and its not Villa.

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Your self-congratulatory posts on your support for LJ last season are quite annoying....before his appointment you posted on here several times that we should go for Terry Butcher as our manager following Cotts’ departure, then miraculously on the day of his appointment you posted “I’m erratically happy with this appointment” then five days later you posted at least twice that you thought we would be relegated, including saying “Yes, I think we are down” and then posting that you’d bet £50 on us going down.

Then seven days after his appointment you posted that we had ‘not a chance’ of beating Ipswich....then 19 days after his appointment you posted that our ‘bubble had burst’ and you predicted ‘another heavy defeat’ vs Forest...guess what?! We beat both Ipswich and Forest (away).....

So you weren’t that supportive of LJ were you? Despite the posturing and smug posts over the last few days intimating that you were one of the only ones who believed in him....

Well said. Hind sight is a wonderful thing.....

I think it's fair to say that last season, after the drubbing at Preston away, which followed a very long run of atrocious form, any manager in LJ's position would have been sacked. For various reasons he kept his position and fortunately for us it's paid off.

Back to the topic, Villa Park itself s a decent ground, bit tired looking now but character. Shame it is ruined by the surrounding area, which is an absolute sh!thole of 3rd world country proportions.

5 hours ago, SirSteveUK said:

PS Funnily I've followed Villa to some strange backwaters in football - Gigg Lane, The Manor Ground - and even Eastville - but never made it to Ashton Gate.

Well that's the last word - Bristol City are the much bigger club at visiting strange backwaters - Belle View, Victoria Ground, The old Saltergate, St James Park (no not that one but Exeter) If ever you get to Ashton Gate you'd be most welcome.

7 hours ago, SirSteveUK said:

I have to say I have been amused reading this thread - as a Villa fan. i will make only one reference to the match  - and that is to say that I had much rather it had been against Leeds or Boro - or even the scum in Small Heath - rather than against a decent club like City. Then again,  if we had been playing Small Heath - we wouldn't have stopped at five.

My real reason to post is that my OCD is kicking in again - with reference to the post by Ole the portugeezer re our respective records against Man Utd.

1.It was 1994 - the Final - and  none of those players he listed played - but I'm sure he knew that anyway.

2. Sealey, Parker, Bruce,  (:laugh:) Pallister, Irwin, Keane, Kanchelskis, Ince , Giggs, Hughes, Cantona.         Not a patch on Ibra/Pogba - but not to be sniffed at, surely?

3. 1971 - we are a 3rd division team - and we beat Man Utd in the LC semi - Charlton, Best, Kidd Stiles etc - again not to be sniffed at?

Anyway - its your forum - I wont intrude further - except to wish you the best of luck and hope you go one better than you did in 1971 - when by coincidence, you were the OTHER losing Semi finalists

How hard is it to post like that? Welcome to the forum mate, more the welcome to stay as long as you don't turn in to a self-important****. 

You'd be more than welcome at AG too, have a good season.

42 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

How hard is it to post like that? Welcome to the forum mate, more the welcome to stay as long as you don't turn in to a self-important****. 

You'd be more than welcome at AG too, have a good season.

Still a slight dig with the wouldn't have stopped at 5 line though. 

10 hours ago, SirSteveUK said:

I'm sorry if you felt you were biting, as I wasn't looking for one - I  think one of us has misread the comment. Your less articulate fellow Villa fan said "Not won in the league since 1996 But.... Beat them in the League Cup, just like you did." My guess was he was playing down the home form against Man Utd (an easy bit of banter for us) by referring to a more recent league cup home win. Which is true, in 1999, 21 home games against Man Utd ago, Villa won 3-0, against the players I mentioned: 

5a4cff4f982b7_ScreenShot2018-01-03at16_05_41.thumb.png.a9a06d98be2ce2d4b28de08c01b8cda8.png

So no wind up from me, honest! In fact I only contributed to this thread after the other Villa fan had already started giving out, for frankly bizarre reasons which I read as him having the hump we weren't giving Villa more credit on our own forum. Everyone who went, that I've seen, has said we were well beaten, but we have reflected on the match in the context of our season. With all due respect, it really wasn't going to be important to us how big a result it was for Villa, which seems to be the issue. 

For the record I went to uni in Aston and was there around the time of the above match, and went to Villa Park a few times (1-0 home defeat in Premiership to Barnsley, even a European match). Had a lot of friends that were Villa, and I've always said you were among the nicer of the 4 clubs in Birmingham, used to speak to a few of the players in clubs, so certainly have no issue, was just contributing to the response to the more emotional Villa fan who had given this thread new life.

Hope you do get to visit Ashton Gate for the first time, how about a play-off semi?

anothergayinparadise said:

"Grealisg does F-all?

He's been MOTM for the previous 5 games and before that he was recovering from injury."

We're obviously talking at cross-purposes here.

I was referring to a player named Grealish, whereas you (a so-called Villa fan) are referring to some guy called "Grealisg"

I'm sure Grealisg is every bit as good as you say he is, but unfortunately I have not heard of him, and neither has anyone else.

Is he as good as Gabby Aggybaggyonlahor, Albert Adoorman or Robert Snotbag?

11 hours ago, SirSteveUK said:

I'm surprised you haven't mentioned that Villa are the joint second most successful club in League Cup history with five wins. Only Liverpool have won more.

5 hours ago, Olé said:

I'm sorry if you felt you were biting, as I wasn't looking for one - I  think one of us has misread the comment. Your less articulate fellow Villa fan said "Not won in the league since 1996 But.... Beat them in the League Cup, just like you did." My guess was he was playing down the home form against Man Utd (an easy bit of banter for us) by referring to a more recent league cup home win. Which is true, in 1999, 21 home games against Man Utd ago, Villa won 3-0, against the players I mentioned: 

5a4cff4f982b7_ScreenShot2018-01-03at16_05_41.thumb.png.a9a06d98be2ce2d4b28de08c01b8cda8.png

So no wind up from me, honest! In fact I only contributed to this thread after the other Villa fan had already started giving out, for frankly bizarre reasons which I read as him having the hump we weren't giving Villa more credit on our own forum. Everyone who went, that I've seen, has said we were well beaten, but we have reflected on the match in the context of our season. With all due respect, it really wasn't going to be important to us how big a result it was for Villa, which seems to be the issue. 

For the record I went to uni in Aston and was there around the time of the above match, and went to Villa Park a few times (1-0 home defeat in Premiership to Barnsley, even a European match). Had a lot of friends that were Villa, and I've always said you were among the nicer of the 4 clubs in Birmingham, used to speak to a few of the players in clubs, so certainly have no issue, was just contributing to the response to the more emotional Villa fan who had given this thread new life.

Hope you do get to visit Ashton Gate for the first time, how about a play-off semi?

I agree with you on everything - that was one effing weird ManU team...prob cos they were playing a CL game in Marseille 5 days later. When you have our record against them, it's easy to forget the (very) occasional victory...

I didn't mention the League Cup wins - never felt the need to brag. We should be in the PL - but we are not. I never join in the derogatory forum bantz - when you have experienced successive FA Cup 3rd Round dismissals by Torquay, and Southend , (as well as Aldershot)  in the 60's,& 70's,  you realise that you might be on dodgy ground. 

BTW the parts of the ground you lot would have seen (and criticized) were the accursed Doug Ellis stand (which I have heard is a little cramped) - and The North Stand - which is the oldest and probably shabbiest part of the ground.(and for which plans for a replacement have already been drawn up by Dr T - needless to say - when we get back to the PL)

EDIT: FAO Spudski - you are right about the main stand - shame it had to go - but at least the Holte End was rebuilt in a sympathetic and similar style/

Sadly - thanks for the invites both to this Forum and to AG - but have been living near. Savannah Ga since 2003 - so I might be absent from this forum -  until we play you in the playoffs :thumbsup:

Archived