IGNORED

Atmosphere in the league

RedNight

Has been absolutely shocking all year. 

Fans will get defensive about this. But I don't care. Before today we 4th in the league with a potential to go joint second. On top of this, this game came off the back of one of the best games anyone of us has seen a City side produce in a number of years Vs Man City - and we produce that in the stands today.

Dont get me started on the minority that booed at FT.

Say this all the ******* time, it depends where you sit in AG. Where I sit, I can hear singing all game and the atmosphere is generally very good.

Not helped by the acoustics and the fact that S82 are the only group allowed to stand. We've seen the difference that can make to an atmosphere.

1 minute ago, kivsy said:

maybe the news fan liason man could look into extending the singing section , as i believe when we were first   shunted/moved again/ forced into another corner/ had to pay £50 extra  , the club said their might be scope to increase ? or was that just waffle to apease  us 

Fingers crossed it's extended up along the back of the South Stand. No reason for it not to be. Theres a reason those blocks sold out first.

I sat in the Dolman today and S82 sang a lot. Fair play, although some of the chants weren't exactly motivational. Bizarrely, the right-hand section of the Dolman sang once and that was it. I do find it frustrating though - from where I was sat, when the away team only brings a few hundred, the Atyeo looks empty. Couple that with the masses of empty seats at the top of the Lansdown and I think it has a negative impact on the atmosphere.

53 minutes ago, RedNight said:

Has been absolutely shocking all year. 

Fans will get defensive about this. But I don't care. Before today we 4th in the league with a potential to go joint second. On top of this, this game came off the back of one of the best games anyone of us has seen a City side produce in a number of years Vs Man City - and we produce that in the stands today.

Dont get me started on the minority that booed at FT.

They were booing at the REF not the team! 

41 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Say this all the ******* time, it depends where you sit in AG. Where I sit, I can hear singing all game and the atmosphere is generally very good.

Not helped by the acoustics and the fact that S82 are the only group allowed to stand. We've seen the difference that can make to an atmosphere.

I sit in the block next to S82 and I agree with you, they were singing most of the game. 

I noticed on the MCFC Forum that they have the same issues at the Etihad.

We're turning into big game players and I dont feel like we see this as a big game anymore. We were really good for this fixture 2 seasons ago now its like a majority can't be bothered. I can see it next season Man U at home and we're all sat nice a quite "oh how boring we beat this lot last season, why are we not winning already"

We seem to be just a bit expectant like we feel like we're the Man C of the Championship (whereas were more like Burnley) and we feel like we should be winning evey game and we are getting frustrated when were not winning.

I feel like we haven't responded as well as we could have in the stands to our relative success and fame.

8 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

A thousand or so are up for it but that's not enough to generate a good atmosphere. I'd love to know the average age of our home support. 

You get slammed for criticising our home support but it isn't good. 

Don’t think age is an excuse (Excepting the very elderly or very young) Wolf

Im wrong side of mid fifty’s and come home near hoarse each game and there were hundreds older than me joining in at Etihad

I don’t know whether it’s apathy or perhaps people are embarrassed to sing and shout in their home seat surrounded by people they know or semi know 

3 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I sit in the block next to S82 and I agree with you, they were singing most of the game. 

I noticed on the MCFC Forum that they have the same issues at the Etihad.

It opens up a wider debate about the nature of football and what its becoming etc etc, but I think if the club REALLY wanted to get an atmosphere going, it'd be very easy.

- Give the top half of the South Stand to S82/Make it relaxed standing. That way it doesn't block the view of people in the corners who want to sit, and puts the "noisy" supporters in a place to make the most noise, while also accommodating for fans who want to sit and sing by having them at the front.

- Turn the ******* music off before the game. Totally stifles any attempt to create atmosphere.

- Minimal SAG interference.

- Less neanderthals for stewards.

- Lights off at night games, paint glow in the dark lines on the steps.

What do you do though? I'd love to join in, hear the song start to sing and then realise it's you and a bloke 4 rows back and that's it for the block. You feel like a bit of a tit and stop. I'm not one of those who's up for karaoke night I'm afraid. 

44 minutes ago, reddoc said:

What do you do though? I'd love to join in, hear the song start to sing and then realise it's you and a bloke 4 rows back and that's it for the block. You feel like a bit of a tit and stop. I'm not one of those who's up for karaoke night I'm afraid. 

Exactly this. I am in E30 lower dolman and love the view but got to move next season as I join in and sing the S82 songs with my daughter and that is literally it in our whole block.

I was embarrassed today by the majority of fans - simply shocking.

After all the plaudits we have received on Twitter etc this week and with a massive important league game today we needed to raise the team with noise but we showed what we truly are (S82 and large sections of the South Stand excluded).

What we are in the main on both sides of the ground is supporters who only sing for 2 mins after scoring or when we are massive underdogs against prem opposition - small fan mentality.

I used to hate the drunken people who would stand up and shout things like  “sing you *****”. Now I wish we had lots of them in certain areas. Effing shit !!

1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

Im not buying the 'acoustics' stuff.

During the rebuild it was an excuse that an atmosphere couldnt be made in the Atyeo because of the acoustics- then 400 odd Chesterfield fans outsung the ground from the Atyeo.

Against Manchester Reds we showed what we can do, the reality is fans just can't be arsed.

The both league games (count 'em 2) I went to with my son (7) in the family corner, I had to ask him to speak more quietly.  His little voice was drowning out anything coming from around the ground.  He was talking rubbish mind.  From the Upper Landsdown, Concorde could be taking off in the South Stand and we wouldn't notice. 

Us glory hunting newbies need a bit of help what needs to be sung.  We could get a bit of Korey! Korey, but not much else.  Maybe we need to get the family corner used to singing so future home support knows what to do.  Perhaps form an outreach unit from the singing section - without swearing and hatred of other Bristolians.

1 hour ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Isn't it funny the amount of fans on here that were slating Man City's support on Tuesday. Our support is worse or as bad as that every single week. The last time we were doing well in this league (07/08) there was a buzz every week, it's certainly not there now.

Been saying this for a while.

07/08 was brilliant, underdogs finally out of league one and couldn't believe what we we're seeing on the pitch so every game was huge.

whats happened? Seems to be such expectation to win.. Maybe cantering league one set us up to think we deserve way more in the championship.

i don't know but it is so flat. All this talk of togetherness squad harmony and players caring isn't being shown by the fans. It is on here with gushing praise and threads about the club going places.

aside from games where we were the underdogs again - Man U and man c we have not been giving it back at all.

maybe the plucky underdogs suits us all more?

British fans are arguably the worst in the world when it comes to creating noise. Football grounds are generally more like theatres where fans react to what goes on during the match. Singing is almost a novelty element. 

I had the pleasure of seeing Fenerbahce just over a month ago. I got a seat in the top tier of a side stand to slightly remove myself from more hardcore fans as I was on my own. This would be the equivilant of the upper Lansdown. I can honestly say that I jumped and sang for the full 90 in a language I cannot speak and for a team I do not support. The passion shown in places like this makes AG seem like such a depressing place at times. 

S82 I feel has a core of maybe 100 fans who could sing the full 90, but even then, the vast majority will spend most of the game stood in silence, arms folded. As someone who was in the Atyeo for the last few seasons and the EE before that, my question was always 'Why are you here?' if you are not up for actually supporting the team.

I'll leave this here for reference and completely recommend Fenebahce to anyone. Louder than Galatasary imo

2 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

It opens up a wider debate about the nature of football and what its becoming etc etc, but I think if the club REALLY wanted to get an atmosphere going, it'd be very easy.

- Give the top half of the South Stand to S82/Make it relaxed standing. That way it doesn't block the view of people in the corners who want to sit, and puts the "noisy" supporters in a place to make the most noise, while also accommodating for fans who want to sit and sing by having them at the front.

- Turn the ******* music off before the game. Totally stifles any attempt to create atmosphere.

- Minimal SAG interference.

- Less neanderthals for stewards.

- Lights off at night games, paint glow in the dark lines on the steps.

I will answer these bit by bit. I think football in general is becoming more passive, in the UK anyway. Mixture of aging fanbases (this isn't just City, not by any stretch, this is everywhere in the UK I'd say), rising ticket prices- might be pricing out some of the more raucous, lively elements who would have gone 10, 20 years ago. This is bit of a tangent but can I give you an example of relatively rising passivity in sections of fans? Corner down your end, top of table clash exciting yeah? I was in the Lower E34 or in old money Dolman H v Wolves. Anyway we all know where I mean. Corner down our end, top of table clash- everyone just sat down! When I started going and not even that long ago either, would substantial elements of that area not be stood in anticipation- up and down, up and down- moments of excitement yeah. Slightly stunned tbh. Maybe it's a false memory but I doubt it!

Point 1. Agree in principle, but don't know if the SAG would buy it. How much would it increase the capacity of the relaxed attitude area by? Unsure if it's an increase, could we get it through?

Point 2. Agree, agree and agree!

Point 3. Do we have much of a choice? Being linked to the Licensing Authority and the council, where do we get a choice in this? They should be far more transparent however!

Point 4. Each to their own, I find them ok and to use reasonable amounts of common sense in the Dolman- maybe they are different in S82?

Point 5. Agreed- but again would our SAG agree to it?

Unfortunately plucky underdog only really works if you see yourself as the underdog.

I would have said we were the underdogs today but that didn't seem to be a view many others shared, mainly based on current league standing but maybe as a whole fan base we're a bit ahead of ourselves and we're not as good as some of us seem to think we are? (leave that as a question rather than a statement)

It seems rather small club mentality but if you look all clubs seem to suffer it at home unless they are given/sold a reason to be up for it. Stoke and Palace have been well known for making a racket at points in the last 10 years but I have seen complaints in the last 3-5 seasons from there fans that they seem to struggle creating an atmosphere anymore. It doesn't seem to effect other nation's (happy to be told im wrong) but maybe its a British thing?

16 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

British fans are arguably the worst in the world when it comes to creating noise. Football grounds are generally more like theatres where fans react to what goes on during the match. Singing is almost a novelty element. 

I had the pleasure of seeing Fenerbahce just over a month ago. I got a seat in the top tier of a side stand to slightly remove myself from more hardcore fans as I was on my own. This would be the equivilant of the upper Lansdown. I can honestly say that I jumped and sang for the full 90 in a language I cannot speak and for a team I do not support. The passion shown in places like this makes AG seem like such a depressing place at times. 

S82 I feel has a core of maybe 100 fans who could sing the full 90, but even then, the vast majority will spend most of the game stood in silence, arms folded. As someone who was in the Atyeo for the last few seasons and the EE before that, my question was always 'Why are you here?' if you are not up for actually supporting the team.

I'll leave this here for reference and completely recommend Fenebahce to anyone. Louder than Galatasary imo

I love opening up this particular can of worms - it's a subject I adore.

I think the cultural differences in places like this are staggering. When you go to Europe and watch a game of football, singing, jumping around, passion, it's all encouraged. Contrast that to Britain and you almost feel a bit of a prat starting up a song. I'd love for Ashton Gate to be a raucous, atmospheric ground brimming with passion but I don't think its particularly in the English psyche.

As @Mr Popodopolous says in his post above, the English football fan is becoming more and more passive, we're all aware of the gentrification of modern football. In my opinion the key reasons for this are:

- The law (no alcohol in sight of the pitch) fairly clean cut))

- The price

It's a bit of a cliche but young fans are seriously being priced out. How can anyone justify paying the prices as they are at the moment if they haven't got racks of disposable income? I know I can barely afford to go as it is, the cup runs this year have crippled me. Football has become more and more the home of the middle class. And you just have to contrast this to Europe, where you can afford to go to a Bundesliga match, for example, VfL Wolsburg vs Eintracht Frankfurt for 15 Euros, drink in view of the pitch, and have a significantly better matchday experience than you could have in England.

- Sky Sports/Premier League

This ones been done to death as well but Sky Sports would rather have fans sat on their sofas, drinking in as many adverts as humanly possible to further inflate Murdoch's pockets.

A lot of these things haven't reached Europe and the rest of the world yet - and I've no doubt they will. Football culture started to die a long time ago and I fear, at least in this country, we're far too late to even think about stopping the rot.

The other thing is that shouting "la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la" to whatever tune isn't gonna cut it in England. Funny chants are remembered and deemed praiseworthy, stuff like that gets derided. You just have to look at the Favourite Chants thread on here to see that. 

Christ, sorry about that, was only planning for that to be a quick reply. :laughcont:

Wow- I'm out of reactions already.

I quite agree with you @ZiderEyed will give you a like tomorrow. :thumbsup:

On the Europe point, reckon they will reach certain bits more so than others. Germany because of their 50 + 1 rule not so much, and the ethos of having young fans in, not pricing them out- actively encouraging them...Somewhere like Italy, more of a mixed bag. Historically great but increasing foreign investment may see it heading down that road. Spain? A library at the big 2 there but plenty of next tier down clubs have good atmospheres...as they redevelop or build new grounds, that may well change!

Archived