IGNORED

Mark Ashton was right

Redmycolour

2 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Still  a great chance of making the play-offs (more likely than not IMO) and then you never know but  a scenario of us, Villa, Boro and Fulham wouldn't fill me with confidence of much more !!

We’ve played 5 games against those teams this season and not lost 4 of them!

We can’t stop believing we are a good side now. 

4 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

It's amazing how many people twist his words into something they can use to be negative.

MA- Hello

OTIB user- Mark Ashton said Hell is low, obviously mentioned because he thinks we'll finish in a low position!!!!!!!

It does seem to have been rehashed into about 10 different quotes!

19 minutes ago, Northred said:

He made a statement to  say we are not prepared for promotion this season, I don't think we can look forward to playoffs with the comment, why build our hopes up, oh well another season in championship next season 

You mean by winning games and getting us near the table, nah we'll just deliberately lose a few games so our fans don't get excited by the season.... 

Here is what Ashton actually said 

We have to be very careful that we don't get ahead of ourselves and get carried away or believe in the hype that's been built up around the club and particularly around the cup run.

"We're very much focused on the here and now and what we have to do. So yes recruitment programme now starts again for the summer. And people will say to me what happens if the club was to get promoted. Well, we'd be prepared as we possibly can be

"But we're not getting ahead of ourselves. We're a Championship club at this moment in time and we have a job to do and we have to be competitive in the second half of the season.

"So it's business as usual. we have a very set process of doing recruitment on how we identify talent and that will remain the same

Ashton went on to confirm that the club are set up for the long term and are not specifically targeting promotion this season.

This last paragraph seems to have tripped a lot of people up. It’s been twisted to read ‘we don’t want to get promoted this season’ which isn’t what he said at all. The point he was trying to get across was that it’s not ‘now or never’. 

It might be that the club are set up for the long term but so are 20 odd other clubs in the Championship which we are told is one of the most competitive in Europe.

Football moves fast and you don't know how long it will be before another decent opportunity for promotion comes along.

Johnson says he likes a small squad so with a few injuries to key players another year could be wasted.

This place is unbearable when we aren't winning games. 

After the crap we went through last season I'd like to think most people would have been extremely grateful to be guaranteed another season in the Championship at this point of the season. Play-offs would be a great bonus and we are still in the hot seat, for now.  With a game against Sheffield Utd to come later in the season, you could argue that it's still in our own hands even if they pick up 3 points tonight. 

We're hardly going to throw a few games because we 'are not prepared for promotion'. I'm sure some might argue that we've been doing that already this year... 

9 minutes ago, Honiton Tony said:

We needed players with experience to kick on in the league if we have ambitions of promotion  

It’s been done to death but given that we were pushing for 1st at the end of December then clearly the ability was already there. It isn’t down to lack of signings that we have been poor since the turn of the year. 

3 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Huddersfield only signed Collin Quaner and Izzy Brown (on loan) last January. That didn't turn out too terribly.

And other than Mitrovic, who would be probably double our highest wage, no January signings appear to have made a huge impact in teams around us. All still very much centred around the players that got them challenging in the first place. 

Had we not thrown away leads against Sunderland and Leeds we probably wouldn’t even be having this thread. And it wasn’t a lack of signings that led to those events. 

45 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

We have to be very careful that we don't get ahead of ourselves and get carried away or believe in the hype that's been built up around the club and particularly around the cup run.

"We're very much focused on the here and now and what we have to do. So yes recruitment programme now starts again for the summer. And people will say to me what happens if the club was to get promoted. Well, we'd be prepared as we possibly can be

"But we're not getting ahead of ourselves. We're a Championship club at this moment in time and we have a job to do and we have to be competitive in the second half of the season.

"So it's business as usual. we have a very set process of doing recruitment on how we identify talent and that will remain the same

Ashton went on to confirm that the club are set up for the long term and are not specifically targeting promotion this season.

This last paragraph seems to have tripped a lot of people up. It’s been twisted to read ‘we don’t want to get promoted this season’ which isn’t what he said at all. The point he was trying to get across was that it’s not ‘now or never’. 

You quote directly, good idea . 

You then put your own interpretation of what he means which is exactly what everyone else has done .

I pretty much read it as the club don't believe that they will get promoted this season and are/ were not prepared to take the gamble to try to make it happen.

It looks like ' play it safe ' from the club which in all likelihood means we won't quite do it .

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

You quote directly, good idea . 

You then put your own interpretation of what he means which is exactly what everyone else has done .

I pretty much read it as the club don't believe that they will get promoted this season and are/ were not prepared to take the gamble to try to make it happen.

It looks like ' play it safe ' from the club which in all likelihood means we won't quite do it .

Fair enough. But having listened to the interview the vibe was very much ‘we want to do as well as we can but we won’t bet the house on it’ - ie we will continue with our way of doing things and not throw everything that we’ve committed to, in terms of overall strategy, out of the window. 

I don’t know how anyone can have heard it and drawn the conclusion ‘we don’t want to go up’ which is how it often seems to have been misrepresented. 

59 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I don't think his statement has 'tripped people up' . As always, there's a deliberate skewing of things by some.

55 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I just think you are wrong

It gives out all the wrong message - added to LJ’s comment re not aiming for automatic not good man management of players

If I thought promotion was real possibility in next couple of seasons I might be a little mollified but can’t see we will be in December 2017 position automaticallyany time soon

Huge missed opportunity 

As I have said same old City

3 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

It gives out all the wrong message - added to LJ’s comment re not aiming for automatic not good man management of players

If I thought promotion was real possibility in next couple of seasons I might be a little mollified but can’t see we will be in December 2017 position automaticallyany time soon

Huge missed opportunity 

Unlike you to see things in a negative light, Ivor.

4 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Huge missed opportunity 

Fair enough. Can’t be arsed to go round old ground constantly but personally I’d rather we looked to build something sustainable, like Brighton did, than risk everything by chucking the kitchen sink at it in one particular season.

Everything is going in the right direction and to rush it now is the wrong play IMO. 

Archived