IGNORED

Mark Ashton was right

Redmycolour

14 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

You quote directly, good idea . 

You then put your own interpretation of what he means which is exactly what everyone else has done .

I pretty much read it as the club don't believe that they will get promoted this season and are/ were not prepared to take the gamble to try to make it happen.

It looks like ' play it safe ' from the club which in all likelihood means we won't quite do it .

Surely you must see the deep irony of your post?

6 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I just think you are wrong

It gives out all the wrong message - added to LJ’s comment re not aiming for automatic not good man management of players

If I thought promotion was real possibility in next couple of seasons I might be a little mollified but can’t see we will be in December 2017 position automaticallyany time soon

Huge missed opportunity 

As I have said same old City

Did you foresee it in August 2017 that in December 2017 we'd be challenging? No, well then chill and don't be a prophet of doom.

I can't stand all this missed opportunity talk. We haven't missed it, we still have it, and for those who cannot foresee us challenging next year I scoff that they even thought we'd challenge this, so what do you (and I who thought the same) know...

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Fair enough. But having listened to the interview the vibe was very much ‘we want to do as well as we can but we won’t bet the house on it’ - ie we will continue with our way of doing things and not throw everything that we’ve committed to, in terms of overall strategy, out of the window. 

I don’t know how anyone can have heard it and drawn the conclusion ‘we don’t want to go up’ which is how it often seems to have been misrepresented. 

I'm sure if the club were guaranteed  promotion to the Prem today they would accept it .

The question would be how much do they really want it at the moment ? 

I am convinced that they are not Prem ready and prefer to stay in their comfort zone rather than have the upheaval and insecurity of a promotion to deal with .

This could be wise or this could result in us going backwards as our ambition is called into question by certain first teamers who want to play at the highest level as they reach their playing peaks . 

Fortune favours the brave, are we being a little too timid ? 

11 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Did you foresee it in August 2017 that in December 2017 we'd be challenging? No, well then chill and don't be a prophet of doom.

I can't stand all this missed opportunity talk. We haven't missed it, we still have it, and for those who cannot foresee us challenging next year I scoff that they even thought we'd challenge this, so what do you (and I who thought the same) know...

I can categorically say that @Ivorguy didn't think we'd be competing.

He actually thought avoiding relegation meant we'd done well.

1 hour ago, MC26 said:

This place is unbearable when we aren't winning games. 

After the crap we went through last season I'd like to think most people would have been extremely grateful to be guaranteed another season in the Championship at this point of the season. Play-offs would be a great bonus and we are still in the hot seat, for now.  With a game against Sheffield Utd to come later in the season, you could argue that it's still in our own hands even if they pick up 3 points tonight. 

We're hardly going to throw a few games because we 'are not prepared for promotion'. I'm sure some might argue that we've been doing that already this year... 

I’ve discussed this before but there is a lot of what psychologists call ‘catastrophic thinking’ on otib.  Even in the middle of a match we concede a goal and it’s seen as a disaster, sack the manager and board and sell all the players.  Some people seem to be unable or unwilling to see the bigger picture which is that we have seen massive progress both on and off the pitch over the last 3 years.  A top 10 finish would be very respectable for us this season and to be in with a shout of top 6 is excellent.  

Personally I think the club has never been better prepared for a promotion. As with any step up to the next level you could always convince yourself that it’s not the right time. 

But I think there’s a big difference between ‘not throwing everything we have at it in one moment’ and ‘not wanting it’ 

The squad we have is good enough to have been better than the majority of the league for the majority of the season. 

There is a time and a place to look to elevate the standard of the playing staff to the next level, and IMO, January is not the time to do that, as you will likely just end up with players who’s only real motivation to be here is a payday. 

IMO the club calculated the risk of ‘going big’ in January and made the call that it wasn’t right for the club. It’s easy to criticise that when it’s someone else’s millions that you’re playing roulette with, but when it’s your own cash I don’t think you can begrudge the conservative, more sustainable approach. 

It’s seen three, now into the fourth straight season of improvement. 

7 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Personally I think the club has never been better prepared for a promotion. As with any step up to the next level you could always convince yourself that it’s not the right time. 

But I think there’s a big difference between ‘not throwing everything we have at it in one moment’ and ‘not wanting it’ 

The squad we have is good enough to have been better than the majority of the league for the majority of the season. 

There is a time and a place to look to elevate the standard of the playing staff to the next level, and IMO, January is not the time to do that, as you will likely just end up with players who’s only real motivation to be here is a payday. 

IMO the club calculated the risk of ‘going big’ in January and made the call that it wasn’t right for the club. It’s easy to criticise that when it’s someone else’s millions that you’re playing roulette with, but when it’s your own cash I don’t think you can begrudge the conservative, more sustainable approach. 

It’s seen three, now into the fourth straight season of improvement. 

All good points. The other thing about January as a window is that if a club is doing well then they really won't want to sell their best players and if they're  doing badly then even more so.

I think the main reason we kept hold of ours was primarily due to the fact that a very strong message was given that only truly silly money would tempt the club. At the time- Diony looked a really clever move whilst Kent had run us ragged last season and was an exciting loan- so far these players have added nothing much and, if anything,have interrupted our style.

2 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

which in itself is ironic.

So I was half right?

I'll try to explain it to you , evidently, I've got you confuddled.

Posters were saying that Ashton's words were twisted and I therefore thought it was a good idea to put the interview in full and with quotation marks .

I then proceeded to explain what  I and others had interpreted directly from the interview . 

Where's the irony ? Where's the hypocrisy ? 

Where's my glasses ? 

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Posters were saying that Ashton's words were twisted and I therefore thought it was a good idea to put the interview in full and with quotation marks .

I then proceeded to explain what  I and others had interpreted directly from the interview . 

Where's my glasses ? 

Where's Wally?

2 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

This forum is a nightmare when were on a bad run, I would never have taken being in 6th place at the beginning March when our season begun. :facepalm:

The club is a disgrace, we should have won the League before the Palace game, then we could have rotated players to avoid injury and on Sunday would have beaten Arsenal to secure our place in Europe next season.

9 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Where's my glasses ? 

That's just your interpretation of my interpretation.

The irony is there if you find your glasses.

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

It's amazing how many people twist his words into something they can use to be negative.

MA- Hello

OTIB user- Mark Ashton said Hell is low, obviously mentioned because he thinks we'll finish in a low position!!!!!!!

If that means lower than 6th then he'll be sadly correct..

24 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Some OTIBER's need to .... 'go directly to jail, and not collect £200'..   others just need to pay their utility bills cos the lights appear to be flickering but it's hard to tell if anyone's home.

The rest of us can get our 'word play' fixes by watching Countdown - the conundrums on there are simpler. 

My conundrum is attempting to concentrate without distraction from "eye candy"...

2 hours ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Still  a great chance of making the play-offs (more likely than not IMO) and then you never know but  a scenario of us, Villa, Boro and Fulham wouldn't fill me with confidence of much more !!

You really think so,not with amount of points were dropping, I don't think so after Mark Ashtons statement, 

2 hours ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Still  a great chance of making the play-offs (more likely than not IMO) and then you never know but  a scenario of us, Villa, Boro and Fulham wouldn't fill me with confidence of much more !!

You really think so,not with amount of points were dropping, I don't think so after Mark Ashtons statement, 

Archived