IGNORED

Mark Ashton was right

Redmycolour

Perhaps the club are in no mad rush, or not going to bust a gut, to get promotion, while we are still more "Blackpool" (when they went up) than we are "Burnley" (enough things in place to be optimistic of staying there).

Perhaps they are quietly confident that, unlike previous times (eg 10 years ago) this tilt at the top six has not happened in spite of the general state of the club, but because of it; and that another one next season is to be expected. Perhaps they have noted, and are encouraged, that Brighton took 6 seasons of Championship football and three failed play-offs before winning promotion, and are doing well in the Prem.

Perhaps they'd rather the squad was stronger (and believe this will be the case next September, as it has been strengthened for 3 or 4 years in a row now) before reaching the top and that finding ourselves in the PL next season with Mags and Elliason and Walsh and one or two others like them on the bench would be too challenging.

Perhaps the club want to, and think they can, get this club into the PL and be more "Swansea" than "Cardiff" in the PL, there to stay, rather than there to pick up £100m/ be relegated, and that growing incrementally will achieve this.

Perhaps.

Or, perhaps I am a fool. 

3 hours ago, Honiton Tony said:

If they were serious about promotion they would have got in some decent players in January 

The strategy - whether you or I agree with it or not - has been explained time and again to us by the powers that be. You clearly still don't get it, so how about watching Plymouth instead? If not, there's a whole lot more frustration ahead for you and opportunities aplenty to make yourself look daft with comments like that.

6 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Perhaps the club are in no mad rush, or not going to bust a gut, to get promotion, while we are still more "Blackpool" (when they went up) than we are "Burnley" (enough things in place to be optimistic of staying there).

Perhaps they are quietly confident that, unlike previous times (eg 10 years ago) this tilt at the top six has not happened in spite of the general state of the club, but because of it; and that another one next season is to be expected. Perhaps they have noted, and are encouraged, that Brighton took 6 seasons of Championship football and three failed play-offs before winning promotion, and are doing well in the Prem.

Perhaps they'd rather the squad was stronger (and believe this will be the case next September, as it has been strengthened for 3 or 4 years in a row now) before reaching the top and that finding ourselves in the PL next season with Mags and Elliason and Walsh and one or two others like them on the bench would be too challenging.

Perhaps the club want to, and think they can, get this club into the PL and be more "Swansea" than "Cardiff" in the PL, there to stay, rather than there to pick up £100m/ be relegated, and that growing incrementally will achieve this.

Perhaps.

Or, perhaps I am a fool. 

Exactly my feelings. I would also add that staying down allows more time for academy players to develop into better players, hopefully meaning less outlay on expensive signings.

7 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Perhaps.

Or, perhaps I am a fool. 

Brighton are 100% the club we should be looking to emulate, bar one disastrous season.

5 of their last 6 seasons in the Championship 

10th, 4th, 6th, 3rd, 2nd

2 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

I just think you are wrong

It gives out all the wrong message - added to LJ’s comment re not aiming for automatic not good man management of players

If I thought promotion was real possibility in next couple of seasons I might be a little mollified but can’t see we will be in December 2017 position automaticallyany time soon

Huge missed opportunity 

As I have said same old City

Why don't you think it's a possibility, Ivor?

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

You quote directly, good idea . 

You then put your own interpretation of what he means which is exactly what everyone else has done .

I pretty much read it as the club don't believe that they will get promoted this season and are/ were not prepared to take the gamble to try to make it happen.

It looks like ' play it safe ' from the club which in all likelihood means we won't quite do it .

I don’t read it like that though. So unless he specifically said we aren’t targeting promotion which he didn’t then I don’t get the vitriol towards the interview. It is pretty clear Bristol city will never gamble based on league position. We didn’t last January when fighting relegation and didn’t this January chasing promotion. Our plan is always to bring in what scouts say is/could be better than what we have. If it works out no one questions though. Kent, Diony and Walsh haven’t made huge impacts so people are taking cheap shots at the club which is appalling imo. 

17 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Perhaps.

Or, perhaps I am a fool. 

I'll go for your second option .

( just teasing ! ) 

3 hours ago, Northred said:

He made a statement to  say we are not prepared for promotion this season, I don't think we can look forward to playoffs with the comment, why build our hopes up, oh well another season in championship next season 

Yes indeed, a fate worse than hell.

If you're serious, I'd suggest having a word with yourself and getting some perspective.

29 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

The strategy - whether you or I agree with it or not - has been explained time and again to us by the powers that be. You clearly still don't get it, so how about watching Plymouth instead? If not, there's a whole lot more frustration ahead for you and opportunities aplenty to make yourself look daft with comments like that.

I am fully aware that we have a lot of decent players I was meaning the players we got In during January which were a long way from what was needed . And what the hell has Plymouth got to do with it ?

45 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Why don't you think it's a possibility, Ivor?

Because the likelihood of putting a promotion team together following the five pillars would require a great deal of luck, given we will have our best players leaving when we are anywhere half decent and we will not be investing, as per this season, when a final push could well get us over the line

If we don’t seriously go for promotion then the opposite could be our fate 

The problem, as I have said before, hinges on bringing new and additional monies in to supplement the five pillar approach.  I think the five pillar approach is flawed

Seriously hope I am wrong

37 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Because the likelihood of putting a promotion team together following the five pillars would require a great deal of luck, given we will have our best players leaving when we are anywhere half decent and we will not be investing, as per this season, when a final push could well get us over the line

The problem, as I have said before, hinges on bringing new and additional monies in to supplement the five pillar approach.  I think the five pillar approach is flawed

Thanks. I'm not entirely sold on the pillars myself. However...

You mention that if some our best players leave this will set us back. Why - where's the evidence their replacements will be worse?

There's just as much chance they'll be as good, and why not even better? We just don't know, yet you're assuming the worst case scenario. Perhaps I'm being too optimistic (not my default setting btw) - again, who knows?

Kodjia is now the template - sell high and buy a very good replacement for a lot less.

So why can't this work when/if Flint or Bryan move on?

As for January - in my view, the season we go up will be when we get all the necessary transfers done in the summer, we get lucky with no or few injuries, and we don't need to do any business at all mid season (a time when the type of players we need, at the type of money we can afford, just aren't around). 

All things considered, I don't see the value in making a desperate dash for promotion this season. It's not the be all and end all right now.

Of course, failure to make the play-offs after such a good 2/3s of the season would be disappointing but thinking about the massive strides forward we've made in the last 12 months and the belief we can continue to progress will be of some consolation. 

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

Do you understand how FFP works fella?

Do you understand contracts, who's available, what money is available, who fits, what wage demands etc?

How do you intend to bring these 'additional monies' in, within the confines of FFP?

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

Do you understand how FFP works fella?

Do you understand contracts, who's available, what money is available, who fits, what wage demands etc?

How do you intend to bring these 'additional monies' in, within the confines of FFP?

Get Uncle Steve to wheel in sacks of cash through a tunnel under the pillars, obvs. 

4 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Fair enough. But having listened to the interview the vibe was very much ‘we want to do as well as we can but we won’t bet the house on it’ - ie we will continue with our way of doing things and not throw everything that we’ve committed to, in terms of overall strategy, out of the window. 

I don’t know how anyone can have heard it and drawn the conclusion ‘we don’t want to go up’ which is how it often seems to have been misrepresented. 

Come on, yes you do, be honest with yourself man. This is OTIB! :) COYR

1 hour ago, Robert the bruce said:

Just look at that window-Ashton & Co have had a shocker.

Ok- if you're unclear:

I felt that one of the biggest threats to our squad in January was never all about who we did or didn't buy but who we might sell or have to sell (i.e. the player wants to leave).

Against a lot of odds- we kept all of our important players and managed to ensure that there's something like 20 ( mainly youth) players out on loan.

In Jan we had the likelihood of several first teamers  returning- some of which could easily make the starting line up- we bought a potentially very good midfielder in Walsh (early days) and loaned in two, on the face of it, very exciting players.

If that all amounts to a "shocker" then a "good window" would surely be signing De Bruyne and Messi.

12 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Ok- if you're unclear:

I felt that one of the biggest threats to our squad in January was never all about who we did or didn't buy but who we might sell or have to sell (i.e. the player wants to leave).

Against a lot of odds- we kept all of our important players and managed to ensure that there's something like 20 ( mainly youth) players out on loan.

In Jan we had the likelihood of several first teamers  returning- some of which could easily make the starting line up- we bought a potentially very good midfielder in Walsh (early days) and loaned in two, on the face of it, very exciting players.

If that all amounts to a "shocker" then a "good window" would surely be signing De Bruyne and Messi.

Nah its a shambles because we didn't go out and spend £10m plus taking a big risk :me?:

Archived