IGNORED

Stoke City

Dolman Block B

When he was Gillingham manager he had a clause in his contract giving him a cut of profit made on transfers. He sold us Akinbiyi for £1.2m. Then moved here, sold Akinbiyi to Wolves for £3.5m, of which we had to give Gills 30%. After he moved on from here he tried to claim a cut of the 30% from Gills under the terms of his contract, I think he actually took them to court over it (amongst other things).

Pulis court case transcript from Gills website

This comment appeared on the Gillingham web-site following the trial. It's a lengthy read and by its nature, one-sided but it's worth taking time out to read it so as to understand a little more about Tony Pulis and the type of guy he is.

I've never had time for Scally, the Gills chairman and I hate Pulis with a vengence for what he put us through. I didn't think my view of either could worsen. Then I read this article ...

Football would be better off without guys like Pulis in management.

• Admin

For those who were there, we'll surely never forget the "Pulis for Portsmouth" chants at the Boxing day game away to Brentford in '99.

The news that he had been approached by Portsmouth had just broken, the Brentford fans seemed somewhat bemused by it all, even though the spawn of satan had just led us to a glorious 2-1 defeat at Griffin Park.(Beadle got ours in the 90th minute).

He has to go down as the most despised and hated manager in the clubs history.

For those who were there, we'll surely never forget the "Pulis for Portsmouth" chants at the Boxing day game away to Brentford in '99.

The news that he had been approached by Portsmouth had just broken, the Brentford fans seemed somewhat bemused by it all, even though the spawn of satan had just led us to a glorious 2-1 defeat at Griffin Park.(Beadle got ours in the 90th minute).

He has to go down as the most despised and hated manager in the clubs history.

Roger that MR.

Ive been loggig on to a couple of Stoke forums and most hate him to.

Lots would love it if Norwich or any other club came in and took him away.

Even funnier now.

Stoke fans have picked up on City,s views of Pullis and are applauding us!!!

This straight from a Stoke fan (now living in Bristol) in our boozer last night.

He really aint liked

Arn I have two Stoke fans that also agree. Would be funny if there were lots of anti Pulis chanting at the gate next Saturday! :whistle2:

Arn I have two Stoke fans that also agree. Would be funny if there were lots of anti Pulis chanting at the gate next Saturday! :whistle2:

Funny as fek Lisa, if when he runs out next sat, 16,000 City and 2,000 Stoke give him a hardtime.

"Whats that running out from the stand, its a @anker, its a @anker, whats that running out from the stand, its a @anker, its a @anker!!!!!!!!!

Just spoke to my Stoke friend and she said the fans have been booing and jeering Pulis all game today. Could be interesting Saturday!!

No. Worst manager we ever had. Even #### Wondersons "Defeat is not failure" doesnt come close to that waste of skin.

Wonder if he'd sign for Plymuff..........

• Admin
The bloke was an utter see you next Tuesday, and hopefully he will get so much sh... he will regret the day he ever stiched city up. total t@sser :ranting: :ranting:

Unfortunately I Have to work next Saturday. Bucks, can you double your effort for me please? :hug:

Some of you will recall that I wrote the Net Centre during TP's reign and the output reflected my utter contempt for the guy. He wasn't just a bad manager, he was a nasty person and the way he conducted himself, even the most sensible of people could be forgiven for thinking he had some hidden malicious agenda. There was a destructive element to a lot of the things he did and subsequent revelations about his conduct in regard to transfers seem to confirm that his actions in this area were more self serving than of benefit to City.

Point of fact, how many people remember that this club made over 3 million, a club record to this day, for Ade Akinbiyi - not many, because the money was squandered so cheaply that it seems the only one to benefit financially out of that sale was Pulis himself (who contractually benefited from player sales). And perhaps Chesterfield. But what really underlined the opinion of this guy as being genuinely evil were his comments to the press about City after he left, which were unequivocally malicious and deliberately so.

He made a range of factually inaccurate claims about his time, the supporters and the club which wouldn't stand up to even simple scrutiny from an informed City supporter or follower but which he clearly made just to get back at the club and insult the supporters. That he could try and manipulate the media into believing he had done even an adequate job at the club and that supporters were at fault was something that lacked any class or professionalism and are what confirmed suspicions that he was genuinely malicious.

Anecdotal reference to his past with Bristol Rovers turned from conspiracy theory and partisan hysteria to genuine and implicit explanation for his behaviour. You can't hold our club in such contempt both during and after being employed by us and suggest that isn't the case. Pulis hated City and it is pointless for anyone, least of all him, to pretend otherwise. If he had stayed any longer the damage to our club could have been permanent for a generation - as it was he is most to blame for City spending eight years in the third tier.

So, if anyone needed reminding, that is the context here, and personally speaking I have been waiting for the moment when he would return to Ashton Gate for a long time and this is the biggest match of the season for me. Honestly. The notional 'Death Threat' is a horrible, misplaced and irresponsible remark to throw around but the feeling of utter anger and hate that it represents equates closely to my view of Mr. Pulis even setting foot at Ashton Gate again and that is the atmosphere in which his return next Saturday should be marked.

I went to just about every home game of both the Osman and Pulis eras and the two aren't even worthy of comparison, even if you dislike Osman for what happened to Jacki, you cannot compare the quality of football and misuse and squandering of club assets and the manner in which it is conducted. Also, it's a lie for anyone to say that the Pulis era made them come close to stopping supporting the club as actually the opposite is true - we're all a lot more passionate for his time here as we now know exactly what the worst-case scenario is.

I was digging through the archives and found this excerpt from an Evening Post interview with Scott Davidson, when the subject of Tony Pulis came up. Incidentally, more informally Scott made the now infamous remark that if Portsmouth really wanted Pulis he would drive him there himself. To do that while you're chairman - hence Pulis' boss - speaks volumes.

Q: Did you at any time consider quitting?

A: Yes. I began losing my enthusiasm and drive when Tony rubbished the club,

complaining players were overpaid and not good enough.

When he blamed the board for us losing out on Michael Branch, Tony and I

didn't communicate at all after that.

Tony had told Michael he was to be on the bench for a specific game and the

player said he was leaving because he wasn't coming to be a substitute.

I was getting all the stick, even though I agreed with many of the

complaints.

Tony didn't know the names of some of the younger players when he left and

that was upsetting for them and their families.

The atmosphere I'd strived to help create with so many others around the

club was being destroyed. There were factions in the boardroom and John

Laycock was trying to hold it together.

Everyone was conscious of a tension around the place and in the end it was

better for me to stay away as Tony and I weren't getting on and I seriously

considered whether to carry on or not. Now there's a buzz around the place

again and my enthusiasm is returning fast.

When we heard he was in for a job with Portsmouth, we felt it was mutually

beneficial he should go.

Some more context for anyone that needs it. This morning, Portsmouth Football Club are 5th in the Premiership. But they too have a past where they had to contend with Tony Pulis. Here are a selection of comments from fans on their OFFICIAL website from when Pulis was their manager. You might think it odd that I saved these, but I did so simply because the way Pulis behaved went beyond anything that people can reasonably believe isn't exaggerated historically unless you can actually see first-hand evidence of the opinions held at the time...

* "Goodbye Tony pack your bags now that was pathetic."

* "You are too kind. It was far worse than pathetic. Bets now on TPs departure?"

* "He wants the sack...He has been inviting the sack with some of his comments

over wages. I sincerely believe he is deliberately trying to be sacked to

get paid off."

* "He's a spoilt brat who has to get his own way and thinks that loyalty is

for everyone else."

*"Who really wants to play for Pulis?... ...the worst football I have seen at

Fratton park in at least the past 20 years... ...This is Pulis's

reputation - Route one all game - well Mr Pulis please don't inflict these

boring tactics on our great club"

* "Tony I found your negative statements apalling about Pompey are going

to struggle this season - with comments like these no

wonder they don't want to play for you..."

* "Another Dire Performance"

* "I can't see TP being around for long if this continues."

* "Of most concern is the lack of passion from TP he has been found out."

* "Why can we not pass the ball, for christ sake Tony we are a first

division side and should not be lobbing the ball over the top like second

and third division teams."

* "God help us. We may need it. TP will depart sooner than we think."

* "The boos were loud enough, and I think Pulis got the message."

* "Pulis. Zero out of 10. Milan won't be pleased with the team being booed

off the pitch, and rightly so... ...I can't see any improvement over the

Ball debacle period last year. TP... ...start looking for a new job."

* "Pulis will be gone if we lose Tuesday and Friday he bloody well should

be."

* "Ball and Pulis have blown our future."

* "Pulis was the wrong choice many of us stated this at the time and he has

done nowt to change that opinion."

* "The most concerning point in all this is the match magazine. For those

who brought it read TPs thoughts and aspirations... ...TP says ( after more

whining about Horesfeild, Taylor & Roberts - by the way the current players

read this - hardly a filip for moral is it?) please be patient; to compete

with top 10 will take time."

* "Depression... ...Pulis has NO IDEA about football... ...Maybe Pulis

deliberately wants the sack so that he will get a fat payoff?"

* "I would rather sit and watch the Sky Sports commentary team and the

teleprinter scores popping up... ...I get more entertainment from watching

this on a Saturday than the dire fare that is being served up on a

Saturday."

* "What worries me is that Pulis thinks we played OK and isn't worried."

* "The blame lies with...........PULIS!!! The tactics are all wrong, no-one

seems to know how to play 'the system'"

* "Just because we voice our disquiet, it doesn't mean we are not true

supporters. I will be there every home match. We are not blind or naive

enough to leave our intelligence at home... ...but TP hasn't got a clue."

* "I don't mind a dire preformance enterainment wise if it gets us a result,

but when the result mirrors the performance what can TP expect."

* "Lets entertain ourselves on predictions for Pulis's departure."

* "He will walk after a show of petulance by the end of October."

* "I predict a public bust up with the chairman in the 2nd week of

September."

* "TP is not the man for the job he plays direct prehistoric football and

always has done."

Excerpts from Gillingham chairman Paul Scally's remarks at the conclusion of the court case with Pulis (and to think this is the one club who are supposed to appreciate his efforts):

Tony Pulis is a discredited man who lied continually in front of the judge and was advised by the judge during the case that he did not take kindly to witnesses who lied in court. This was a man who lied in court. This is a man who attempted to blackmail me, who removed company documents from the premises without the knowledge or consent of the company and instead of passing them to the correct authorities passed them to Norman Haywood, ex owner of Bournemouth, who then passed them to Roy Pack who then attempted to sell them via Max Clifford to newspapers. This is a man who accepted that he had passed on malicious and unfounded rumours about my wife. All he has succeeded in doing is showing himself in a very poor light in court and has shown the Gillingham public what I had to suffer in the eight months prior to me dismissing him.

Some of you will recall that I wrote the Net Centre during TP's reign and the output reflected my utter contempt for the guy. He wasn't just a bad manager, he was a nasty person and the way he conducted himself, even the most sensible of people could be forgiven for thinking he had some hidden malicious agenda. There was a destructive element to a lot of the things he did and subsequent revelations about his conduct in regard to transfers seem to confirm that his actions in this area were more self serving than of benefit to City.

Point of fact, how many people remember that this club made over 3 million, a club record to this day, for Ade Akinbiyi - not many, because the money was squandered so cheaply that it seems the only one to benefit financially out of that sale was Pulis himself (who contractually benefited from player sales). And perhaps Chesterfield. But what really underlined the opinion of this guy as being genuinely evil were his comments to the press about City after he left, which were unequivocally malicious and deliberately so.

He made a range of factually inaccurate claims about his time, the supporters and the club which wouldn't stand up to even simple scrutiny from an informed City supporter or follower but which he clearly made just to get back at the club and insult the supporters. That he could try and manipulate the media into believing he had done even an adequate job at the club and that supporters were at fault was something that lacked any class or professionalism and are what confirmed suspicions that he was genuinely malicious.

Anecdotal reference to his past with Bristol Rovers turned from conspiracy theory and partisan hysteria to genuine and implicit explanation for his behaviour. You can't hold our club in such contempt both during and after being employed by us and suggest that isn't the case. Pulis hated City and it is pointless for anyone, least of all him, to pretend otherwise. If he had stayed any longer the damage to our club could have been permanent for a generation - as it was he is most to blame for City spending eight years in the third tier.

So, if anyone needed reminding, that is the context here, and personally speaking I have been waiting for the moment when he would return to Ashton Gate for a long time and this is the biggest match of the season for me. Honestly. The notional 'Death Threat' is a horrible, misplaced and irresponsible remark to throw around but the feeling of utter anger and hate that it represents equates closely to my view of Mr. Pulis even setting foot at Ashton Gate again and that is the atmosphere in which his return next Saturday should be marked.

I went to just about every home game of both the Osman and Pulis eras and the two aren't even worthy of comparison, even if you dislike Osman for what happened to Jacki, you cannot compare the quality of football and misuse and squandering of club assets and the manner in which it is conducted. Also, it's a lie for anyone to say that the Pulis era made them come close to stopping supporting the club as actually the opposite is true - we're all a lot more passionate for his time here as we now know exactly what the worst-case scenario is.

I was digging through the archives and found this excerpt from an Evening Post interview with Scott Davidson, when the subject of Tony Pulis came up. Incidentally, more informally Scott made the now infamous remark that if Portsmouth really wanted Pulis he would drive him there himself. To do that while you're chairman - hence Pulis' boss - speaks volumes.

Q: Did you at any time consider quitting?

A: Yes. I began losing my enthusiasm and drive when Tony rubbished the club,

complaining players were overpaid and not good enough.

When he blamed the board for us losing out on Michael Branch, Tony and I

didn't communicate at all after that.

Tony had told Michael he was to be on the bench for a specific game and the

player said he was leaving because he wasn't coming to be a substitute.

I was getting all the stick, even though I agreed with many of the

complaints.

Tony didn't know the names of some of the younger players when he left and

that was upsetting for them and their families.

The atmosphere I'd strived to help create with so many others around the

club was being destroyed. There were factions in the boardroom and John

Laycock was trying to hold it together.

Everyone was conscious of a tension around the place and in the end it was

better for me to stay away as Tony and I weren't getting on and I seriously

considered whether to carry on or not. Now there's a buzz around the place

again and my enthusiasm is returning fast.

When we heard he was in for a job with Portsmouth, we felt it was mutually

beneficial he should go.

What a brilliant post!!!

I salute you Ole......... :worship2:

There is a crescendo of hatred building for the visit of Tony Pulis next Saturday, I wonder wether the Championship programme will include the home supporters (and quite a few away too) hostile "welcome" when he comes into view?

I just hope to God that there is not some numpty in a City shirt who is likely to do something silly in front of TV cameras.

Tony Pulis epitaph:

TONY PULIS

AS YOU SOWED

SO DID YOU

REAP AND IF YOU

P I S S INTO WIND

YOU'LL SURELY

GET YOUR OWN BACK.

Archived