IGNORED

West Ham/ Curbishley/ Gary Johnson

Snufflelufagus

Actually........this is the first time since GJ took over, that I'm concerned about a club being interested in him.

Considering West Ham are cutting costs all over the place, I wouldn't be surprised if they looked more domestically for a manager than other Prem Clubs.

That said.......Slaven Bilic is probably the favorite

Actually........this is the first time since GJ took over, that I'm concerned about a club being interested in him.

Considering West Ham are cutting costs all over the place, I wouldn't be surprised if they looked more domestically for a manager than other Prem Clubs.

This is more likely than a lot of other clubs that were bandied about last year.

But I still don't think he is a big name enough for these types of clubs.

Absurd I know but look at what GJ has done compared to Paul Ince or Gareth Southgate in managerial terms?

I'd love to see them appoint Bryan Robson!!!!!

My thoughts exactly.

The names in the frame for West Ham are only 2 real contenders.....

Harry Redknapp and Slaven Billic.

No other names mentioned at all.

To be honest, Gary Johnson will only be considered at clubs like Blackburn, Fulham, Wigan etc rather than the West Hams, Spurs, Portsmouths of the world.

If West Ham get Redknapp, then Avram Grant is already in the frame for Pompey so no point even speculating about that one!!!

I think many prem clubs with foreign owners are going down the route of; "technical director or director of football makes the signings and the manager coaches what he's given". So they want coaches not managers. I can't see GJ wanting to do that.

Can we have a Lee Johnson, Early leavers from the Dolman stand sub forums as well please.

Oh come on, even the most ardent anti-Johnson person would claim that Lee is responsible for the early leavers in the Dolman. Would they? Would they? :dunno:

More likely than Newcastle.

I'd imagine they'd at least consider Johnson. Their fans are England proud, he's the most successful manager outside the top flight right now, they don't have a bottomless pit of cash, and he's a Londoner. Those things may or may not go in his favour.

That said I think I'm right in saying Johnson is quite close friends with Curbs, who would surely warn him off given West Ham's recent transfer policy.

I'm not at all worried Johnson will go but this has to be amongst the more realistic shouts.

:city: Gary Johnson has been installed as fourth favorite to get the West Ham job.

I suppose that we should get used to this as we do have one of the best managers around but I think that he would be foolish to go to the hammers just looking at the reasons that Alan Curbishley left.

I'm dissappointed i replied to that :disapointed2se:

Skybets take on things is here http://www.skybet.com/skybet?action=GoEvEv...rtinez,McClaren and even Ince who they f*ckin hate come in above GJ (whose not on the list thank god)

Although ofcourse I'm delighted hes not metioned...it does p155 me off how time and again he gets no mention with his record when there are some clowns and definate no goes (eg Ince) mentioned above him...slight contradiction i know but I'm sure you get me.

BCFC under the radar again :winner_third_h4h:

Teamtalk candidates to take over at West Ham...

SLAVEN BILIC

Bilic is the current Croatia coach and hot favourite for the West Ham job despite signing a two year contact in April of this year. He is recognised as the second best national team coach after Dunga of Brazil. Bilic played for West ham during the 1996-97 season, showing loyalty to the club by helping them battle against relegation despite offers from Joe Royle to lure him to Everton.

His laid-back approach to the game has won him many fans, but that is not to say that he is not ambitious and hard-working. He could really help West Ham to gain recognition as a top team.

SAM ALLARDYCE

Allardyce is currently a free agent after leaving Newcastle in January. Although he had limited success at the club, he was highly respected during his time managing Bolton between 1999-2007.

He propelled Bolton into the Premier League during his second season at the club and after a promising start the team struggled but managed to keep thier place in the top flight of English football. In the 2004-05 season Bolton finished sixth, earning a place in the UEFA cup.

He is a strong character, very popular in the footballing world, and not afraid of controversy. He advocates a never-say-die attitude and would love the opportunity to win some silverware.

DAVID O'LEARY

After time managing Leeds and Aston Villa, David O'Leary has been without a club since 2006. His four years at Leeds saw O'Leary take the Yorkshire side to the Champions League semi-finals with a talented youthful squad. The highs were short-lived and Leeds' meteoric fall followed and O'Leary was sacked after spending too much money with no delivery of silverware. O'Leary did remarkably well at Villa, managing to lift a thin and down-hearted club from the relegation places to sixth, just missing out on a UEFA Cup spot.

O'Leary is a talented and ambitious manager who could take west Ham into Europe, but he needs silverware to really prove his worth.

GARY JOHNSON

Johnson is currently enjoying success as Bristol City manager but may well be interested in an opportunity to manage at Premier League level. He joined City in 2005 and achieved automatic promotion to the Coca-Cola Championship with the club in 2007.

He is popular with the media and his abilities as a manager have been rewarded with manager of the month awards.

HARRY REDKNAPP

Redknapp is another popular character and a very experienced manager. His teams play exciting football and yet he knows how to battle for survival. He currently manages Portsmouth and the summer has seen an influx of exciting players join the club. As well as time coaching Bournemouth and Southampton, Redknapp spent seven years in charge at West Ham from 1994-2001.

He helped the club make a name for itself in the Premier League and nurtured the talents of emerging stars Rio Ferdinand, Michael Carrick, Frank Lampard and Joe Cole.

GLENN HODDLE

Former England manager Glenn Hoddle is currently trying to raise the money to open a football academy in Spain but may well be interested in a chance to get back into football management. Aside from experience at international level, resulting in his infamous dismissal following unguarded comments to the media, Hoddle has had many chances to prove himself with teams in the Premier League and championship, having spent time in charge at Swindon, Chelsea, Southampton, Tottenham and Wolves.

He has yet to bring the success expected to any of his clubs and will be desperate for the opportunity to prove himself.

Nobody has yet mentioned the one reason guaranteed to ensure that Gary Johnson will NOT take the West Ham United job...and it's all in Alan Curbishley's resignation speech.

His reason for quitting was because he felt that ultimately the selection of players for matches had been taken out of his hands and was now being made by people at the top of the tree within the club.

Can anyone honestly see GJ going to a club where he doesn't have complete control?! He'd quit the moment it happened! The reason he has stayed so long at City, and Yeovil beforehand was because he had what he felt was the right relationship between himself and the chairman. Each knows where each other's responsibilities lie.

GJ wants to choose the team. He wants to choose the backroom staff. He wants to have control over the players he brings in. He wants complete control over the footballing side of the club, and will happily let the chairman get on with running the rest of it. At West Ham, and many other Premier League clubs, he won't get that. That's why there are a select few clubs I can see him going to at the moment in time. And none of those seem likely to come up in the near future.

Archived