IGNORED

West Ham/ Curbishley/ Gary Johnson

Snufflelufagus

Guest DR DICKNOSE
Nobody has yet mentioned the one reason guaranteed to ensure that Gary Johnson will NOT take the West Ham United job...and it's all in Alan Curbishley's resignation speech.

His reason for quitting was because he felt that ultimately the selection of players for matches had been taken out of his hands and was now being made by people at the top of the tree within the club.

Can anyone honestly see GJ going to a club where he doesn't have complete control?! He'd quit the moment it happened! The reason he has stayed so long at City, and Yeovil beforehand was because he had what he felt was the right relationship between himself and the chairman. Each knows where each other's responsibilities lie.

GJ wants to choose the team. He wants to choose the backroom staff. He wants to have control over the players he brings in. He wants complete control over the footballing side of the club, and will happily let the chairman get on with running the rest of it. At West Ham, and many other Premier League clubs, he won't get that. That's why there are a select few clubs I can see him going to at the moment in time. And none of those seem likely to come up in the near future.

GJ is a better manager than that prat west ham have just released as manager.

never mind eh! well just carry on having the best english manager outside the prem. :fingerscrossed::englandsmile4wf::englandsmile4wf:

Johnson is too big a gamble for a club like West Ham to take a punt on in my opinion.

Yes, we know he is a great boss at a smaller club like Yeovil and we know he is doing a fantastic job so far at a bigger club (but still smaller fish in a larger pond) club like Bristol City where expectations are not as high as they will be at West Ham.

BUT:-

He has never managed at Premier League level

He has only been managing for 13 months at Championship level

West Ham supporters in the main will know sweet FA about him and will crucify the Board if he didn't achieve much

Will he be allowed the complete control of the club he requires?

He has never had to deal with a squad of £80K per week ego's (Craig Bellamy on his own is enough for any manager let alone a whole squad full)

He has never experienced the soap opera that is your average Premier League club

He has only ever managed clubs that sit "under the radar"

Outside of England he is probably a relative unknown (not good for attracting top foreign players?)

I think GJ will stay with us and carry on learning/improving his trade at the highest level he has ever managed unless an amazing offer that is too good to turn down comes in. I don't see those offers coming in from West Ham or Newcastle.

Johnson is too big a gamble for a club like West Ham to take a punt on in my opinion.

Yes, we know he is a great boss at a smaller club like Yeovil and we know he is doing a fantastic job so far at a bigger club (but still smaller fish in a larger pond) club like Bristol City where expectations are not as high as they will be at West Ham.

West Ham supporters in the main will know sweet FA about him and will crucify the Board if he didn't achieve much

He has never had to deal with a squad of £80K per week ego's (Craig Bellamy on his own is enough for any manager let alone a whole squad full)

He has never experienced the soap opera that is your average Premier League club

Outside of England he is probably a relative unknown (not good for attracting top foreign players?)

I think GJ will stay with us and carry on learning/improving his trade at the highest level he has ever managed unless an amazing offer that is too good to turn down comes in. I don't see those offers coming in from West Ham or Newcastle.

Many nails.. all hit on the head with this reply :clapping:

GJ's best chance of getting to manage in the prem is with us!! The only other scenario in which he gets the opportunity is if he gets us to the play-off's again (or even for a 3rd time in as many seasons). GJ is doing (more than) ok as a CCC manager, and is showing that his accumulated experience is valuable at this level - but, and its a massive but, he just doesnt have a track record of managing a multi-multi-million pound squad, and all of the other things in Greebo's note. Also, for the time being at least there are probably several CCC managers who would sit above GJ in terms of attractiveness to a prem club.

If I was, and god forbid, a west ham supporter and it was announced that GJ was going to be our new manager, I don't think that I would see that as a signal of intent to really push the club up the toughest domestic league in the world. I would see it as a massive gamble, and not one that the club should be taking.

BTW - Curbishley - someone said he was a cr@p manager (or similar) - that's unfair - he kept Charlton competitive for years and has done alright at WH seeing as how they were in freefall when he got there. Yes, he is an irritating f@ck at times, but he knows his way round managing at prem level.

The optimist in me (I don't want GJ to leave) agrees with all the points you make.

However, applying your logic, how would you explain Ince's appointment at Blackburn or that of Southgate at Middlesborough and Keane at Sunderland? Their previous relative experience and success as managers relative to the jobs they secured makes GJ look like an ideal candidate to take over from SAF or Wenger!

The optimist in me (I don't want GJ to leave) agrees with all the points you make.

However, applying your logic, how would you explain Ince's appointment at Blackburn or that of Southgate at Middlesborough and Keane at Sunderland? Their previous relative experience and success as managers relative to the jobs they secured makes GJ look like an ideal candidate to take over from SAF or Wenger!

Football management in the prem is 90% about the name of the manager, 10% about the experience which is why Southgate,Keane and Ince are all up there and GJ never gets mentioned, despite being far more experienced.

Look at Chelsea last season, Grant was experienced but not a household name and as a result, despite doing very well, he was sacked.

The Premier League is so high profile these days that even the smallest clubs in there can attract big name managers. If Phil Brown got sacked at Hull atChristmas they would be able to attract a big name English manager e.g. Sam Allardyce or a decent foreign manager just because of the lure of managing in the Premier League.

Therefore they would never take the risk on a manager like Gary. As far as I can see the only chance he has of becoming a Premier League manager is to take a team there. Hopefully that will be us and I think he'll be willing to give us a good few years yet to make that happen.

If we are still in this league in 3 or more years and he get the offer from a 'bigger' championship club with more money and reputation then he might see that as his best opportunity and leave then.

I think we've got him for a good few years yet and hopefully when he does leave he'll have built us the reputation to attract another quality manager. Hopefully a promising manager from our league or just below rather than a Premier League has been like Bryan Robson.

Umm, I did.

Not in the same words. You just said he wouldn't want a technical director of football above him! You didn't mention the resignation quote from Curbs which referred to having players and the team selection done for him, which was what I was trying to get at.

That prat got Charlton promoted to the top flight and got them performing way above their station for over a decade. He got West Ham into the top half of the table last season too, despite the fact half their playing squad was out injured for longing periods. Given time, he would have been successful there.

What realistically can West Ham hope to achieve? At best..7th-10th. What he didn't do was play attractive football in doing so. And when he was in charge of signings..he made very bad ones who haven't featured in the team.

If we had a manager who got us into the Prem and kept us there with little to no money he'd be our best manager ever. Now i wouldn't swap GJ for him..but... he's got a very good record even if he is dislikeable and plays boring football.

I agree with you that we have possibly the best manager outside of the Premier League.

However I have to say I think Alan Curbishley is a very good football manager and given a decent amount of time would have made a success of his time at West Ham.

Sadly I think he was left with little choice but to resign.

It's not a positive day for the Hammers.

To all those people saying Bilic and Redknapp are the only contenders. Redknapp has said personally in interview catagorically NO. Bilic seems unlikely as he has just signed extension to his contract and rumours are he isnt interested. And just to put another interesting point ive just been listening to talk sport and they were saying with the lack of prem experience managers wanting the job they thought Johnson would be a good candidate. Its unlikely Johnson would go to somewhere like Newcastle I think this one is a worry. We all know about the Johnson - London link. I'm just hoping the reasons for Curbishley leaving would put him off if he was offered the job

Guest Red Cell

If that's true, how quickly will Lee Johnson fit in at Upton Park?

(please let's turn this in to a thread that discusses the GJ/LJ dynamic as it doesn't get enough airtime)

and a colleague once told me that rovers were going to win the FA Cup..

You actually had me a little bit worried there for a second. I thought you were going to actually quote a source or something..

Just out of interest though, if GJ was to get a job in the premier league quite soon (which I don't think he would by the way) - which of our players would he take with him? LJ, Elliott, Basso and McIndoe would be my bet.

Anyway I don't see him leaving us any time soon for 3 reasons, a) None of the Premier League clubs would even look at him, b) If they did, the fans would turn against him and 6 months later he'd be working on Jeff Stellings program, c) Gary's a smart guy and knows which offers would be worth taking for him

What realistically can West Ham hope to achieve? At best..7th-10th. What he didn't do was play attractive football in doing so. And when he was in charge of signings..he made very bad ones who haven't featured in the team.

If we had a manager who got us into the Prem and kept us there with little to no money he'd be our best manager ever. Now i wouldn't swap GJ for him..but... he's got a very good record even if he is dislikeable and plays boring football.

West Ham fans keep saying entertainment is just as important as results for the Hammers .... in that case maybe they should consider Timmy Mallet for the job.

Come On You Mallets!!! ..... now thats entertainment. :icecream:

Not in the same words. You just said he wouldn't want a technical director of football above him! You didn't mention the resignation quote from Curbs which referred to having players and the team selection done for him, which was what I was trying to get at.

I did - just didn't post it!!! ;-)

Archived