IGNORED

Awful

The Casual Connoisseur

It wasn't awful we scored 3 away and didn't win thats footy. The word awful is a response to dissapointment to being 3-1 up then not winning that does not mean wholesale panic being in the situation we are in the league.

Didnt say anything about panic, awful,was used to describe SC tactics and substitutions.

Or we could have caused problems and won 3-1 or 3-2.

It's all about learning from mistakes and not doing them again. As Wolfy said...it's not the first time.

Do you think inviting players to attack is a better way to defend a lead, than doing what already got you that 2 goal cushion in the first place?

Why change a tactic that was working?

We had the fresh legs and quality on the bench.

With 10 mins to go we should have been wasting time down in the corners... using the channels and holding the ball in their half. Not inviting them at us.

it might have been a mistake today, it might not be next week, it's a game it's not a precise science and as I have just said I think i'm correct in saying their equaliser came from an individual error.

I just watched a game where a team had 65% of possession and lost, never looked as if they would score, never brought a save out of the opposing goalkeeper and in their endeavour to keep possession of the ball (because apparently it's the only way to win games) turned around from good attacking positions with good movement ahead and passed the ball back over the halfway line and then along the back line, what lessons has the losing coach learned there do you think?.

Or we could have caused problems and won 3-1 or 3-2.

It's all about learning from mistakes and not doing them again. As Wolfy said...it's not the first time.

Do you think inviting players to attack is a better way to defend a lead, than doing what already got you that 2 goal cushion in the first place?

Why change a tactic that was working?

We had the fresh legs and quality on the bench.

With 10 mins to go we should have been wasting time down in the corners... using the channels and holding the ball in their half. Not inviting them at us.

Far more eloquently than I could have put it, but my sentiments. Why change something that's not broken, why invite pressure.

If we're to go up automatically then it's days like today that we should have put teams to bed.

Just got back. and having a quick read to gauge opinions.

A lot of decent points above, but I have to agree with the OP. The subs pretty much killed the game. I would of liked to have seen JET come on at 3-2 for his hold up play, I thought we were losing possession far too easily at times. Don't get me wrong, this is still an excellent point-4 away points from 6 is a great return, but we could have put up a better fight and got all 6.

Still top though, so can't find too much to complain about.

Just got back. and having a quick read to gauge opinions.

A lot of decent points above, but I have to agree with the OP. The subs pretty much killed the game. I would of liked to have seen JET come on at 3-2 for his hold up play, I thought we were losing possession far too easily at times. Don't get me wrong, this is still an excellent point-4 away points from 6 is a great return, but we could have put up a better fight and got all 6.

Still top though, so can't find too much to complain about.

Well said that man.

I felt Agard going off when he did was a poor move, but let's be honest had we hung on I wouldn't have given it another thought.

They were steadily building up more and more momentum in the second half, but through Agard we had an outlet and he had looked dangerous all afternoon against their defenders which made us exciting on the break. With him going off we gave up our biggest threat we had in the game and invited them on to us. 

Having said that though I think it's a decent point against a team which I was surprised with. It was a cracking game and the football they played at times made it difficult to believe that they hadn't scored in their three previous games and I think it will prove to be a decent point. It's just of course frustrating it could have been an excellent three points.

Still, unbeaten and clearer at top of the league than we were this morning. In dreamworld really to where we've been the last few seasons.

Saw a game the other week whereby the manager should have shawn up the defence with 1/4 of an hour to go at 2-0 up, went for the third, and ended up drawing 2-2.

Did you all think the same at 3-1?

It is a common tactic for managers to look to close games up at 3-1, surely?

Both subs were made when we were defending a slender one goal lead and the opposition were pressing. Cotts sensibly waitied for Fleetwood to make their changes and then reacted accordingly. At the time our substitutions made good logical sense to me, allowing our midfield to sit deeper to soak up the pressure, while retaining good attacking options. Unfortunately it backfired as it turned out. That happens at all levels sometimes.

Our subs last weekend were spot on.

If an attacking sub had been appropriate (which it probably wasn't), I think Burns would have been far more impactful than JET.

Both subs were made when we were defending a slender one goal lead and the opposition were pressing. Cotts sensibly waitied for Fleetwood to make their changes and then reacted accordingly. At the time our substitutions made good logical sense to me, allowing our midfield to sit deeper to soak up the pressure, while retaining good attacking options. Unfortunately it backfired as it turned out. That happens at all levels sometimes.

If an attacking sub had been appropriate (which it probably wasn't), I think Burns would have been far more impactful than JET.

Wasn't their equaliser a direct result of a mistake by Pack, because that is what was said in commentary.

At 3-1 up it was us piling on the pressure.

I understand his policy but you have to have a pacey outlet to counter attack, we didnt and it made us one dimensional, they knew that and it cost us 2 points.

At 3 1 we should have finished it off and the tendency to sit on a lead is a bit annoying, though I'm not sure what Little is doing getting stuck upfield as they break on us at 3 2, it's either stick or twist but it can't be both. The game should have been over by halftime, we had a lot of chances against a good side, I still we are at the top til the end and we go up as champions.

Not at Port Vale I take it, caused mayhem and put himself about, he's too good for that bench but who do you drop?!?!?!!?

No I wasn't, and of course you're right we all know what he's capable of. Unfortunately though, you never know when he's going to make a difference. As I said, for a counter attacking option I would have had more confidence in Wes making that difference.

it might have been a mistake today, it might not be next week, it's a game it's not a precise science and as I have just said I think i'm correct in saying their equaliser came from an individual error.

I just watched a game where a team had 65% of possession and lost, never looked as if they would score, never brought a save out of the opposing goalkeeper and in their endeavour to keep possession of the ball (because apparently it's the only way to win games) turned around from good attacking positions with good movement ahead and passed the ball back over the halfway line and then along the back line, what lessons has the losing coach learned there do you think?.

Sure it was a mistake...but in our own half, where it can be capitalised on.

Holding onto a lead, you should be doing your utmost to get the ball down their end, down the channel and in the corners. Especially with 5 mins to play.

JET and Burns imho would be far better off in the oppositions half creating problems for them.

Instead we allow a team to come at us and defend.

You can't score if the ball is in your half and you are defending....you can if the opposition allow you to attack.

Offense is the greatest form of defence if you use it correctly.

1 point is great when it was 2 points for a win.

2 draws and one loss gives you 2 points.

I win and 2 losses give you 3 points...get my drift?

We should have had three points today, and although we are all happy the results continue, it still feels like we lost.

If we had lost 2-0 and were out played on the day...perhaps I could take that.

No harm in looking and striving for perfection.

You are right though fella...it is football and it will happen again.

Sure it was a mistake...but in our own half, where it can be capitalised on.

Holding onto a lead, you should be doing your utmost to get the ball down their end, down the channel and in the corners. Especially with 5 mins to play.

JET and Burns imho would be far better off in the oppositions half creating problems for them.

Instead we allow a team to come at us and defend.

You can't score if the ball is in your half and you are defending....you can if the opposition allow you to attack.

Offense is the greatest form of defence if you use it correctly.

1 point is great when it was 2 points for a win.

2 draws and one loss gives you 2 points.

I win and 2 losses give you 3 points...get my drift?

We should have had three points today, and although we are all happy the results continue, it still feels like we lost.

If we had lost 2-0 and were out played on the day...perhaps I could take that.

No harm in looking and striving for perfection.

You are right though fella...it is football and it will happen again.

Wow.

It's like being at my psychiatrists, you've got right inside and read my brain AGAIN.

You can be

1. Happy with Cotterill

2. Happy we are unbeaten at the top of the league

3. Frustrated at today's substitutions which invited pressure and indirectly caused them to score

4. Disappointed we threw away a 2 goal lead against a side we could and should have beaten.

It's more likely people who didn't see the game will be less disappointed and be happy at the result and league placing like I would be but those who saw the game would have seen the impact and how we threw away the initiative.

That's my view anyway.

Exactly this. Agard chomping at the bit to get a third goal and SC takes him off.

Well that didn't take long did it...... shocking post.... either Mr Cotterill has done something really bad too you personally or your a very angry man.... I hope you don't celebrate when we win....

Mistakes are mistakes and should be criticised when they're made. Cotterill's use of subs this term have been questionable at times.

Top of the league or not, we should always be aspiring for better and for progress. It doesn't make for much debate to just ignore a perceived fault just because we are doing well.

Happy with a point, would of taken it before the game. At the end of the day that's football.. these things happen, I won't blame Coterill, but I'll ask the question why did the Fleetwood player have the freedom of the pitch at the edge of the box for their 2nd goal?? It's only 2 points, means nothing at this stage of the season.

Mistakes are mistakes and should be criticised when they're made. Cotterill's use of subs this term have been questionable at times.

Top of the league or not, we should always be aspiring for better and for progress. It doesn't make for much debate to just ignore a perceived fault just because we are doing well.

Completely true.

A fault is a fault and many have recognised it.

If us mere mortals can see it then so can opposition coaching/managerial staff, personally that is an air for concern and more importantly an area to improve in.

It's a long old season, I'm sure tactics and personnel will change a little as the season progresses, with it hopefully will. Our one minor problem.

Regarding the Agard substitution, he'd just picked up a strong candidate for 'most stupid booking of the season' and Cotterill may have been worried about him being sent off (as it was starting to get quite feisty in the last 10 minutes - speaking of which, did anyone else see Smith appear to run his studs down the back of Nathan Pond's calf as the players were lining up for that awful free kick attempt in stoppage time? Looked quite naughty to me but the linesman and ref didn't see it). Cotterill may also have felt that Wagstaff would be the least likely of our six outfield subs to concede possession in a dangerous area.

I thought the second substitution (Freeman) was purely to try and waste time, nothing more than that.

Ultimately I thought a dreadful error by Pack (and a very decent finish by Dobbie) was what cost us, not the fact that our substitutions weren't positive enough.

Not at Port Vale I take it, caused mayhem and put himself about, he's too good for that bench but who do you drop?!?!?!!?

JET was impressive at Vale to be fair, like he was at Notts C but as you say who do you drop for him? I rate JET massively but there isn't really a way he can start at the moment. Wilbra & Agard are scoring and forming a good partnership and the only other place he could take is Freeman's just in behind the front two, but let's facing it as good as JET is he isn't as dynamic as Freeman is in that role. Plus Freeman is playing very very well. 

For me, JET's time here is over. Regardless of whether he can fit him in or not SC doesn't rate him and it's glaringly obvious. I will be amazed if he isn't gone in January. It's just a shame that we have so many fickle fans that are so dismissive of JET and have short memories.

JET was impressive at Vale to be fair, like he was at Notts C but as you say who do you drop for him? I rate JET massively but there isn't really a way he can start at the moment. Wilbra & Agard are scoring and forming a good partnership and the only other place he could take is Freeman's just in behind the front two, but let's facing it as good as JET is he isn't as dynamic as Freeman is in that role. Plus Freeman is playing very very well. 

For me, JET's time here is over. Regardless of whether he can fit him in or not SC doesn't rate him and it's glaringly obvious. I will be amazed if he isn't gone in January. It's just a shame that we have so many fickle fans that are so dismissive of JET and have short memories.

You can't get through a 46+ games season with two strikers + one young striker/winger who is yet to be prolific.  JET will get his chance. It's then up to him as to whether he takes it.  It has to be said, he didn't do himself many favours in the Oxford game.

Terrible substitutions made AGAIN, inviting the opposition team back in the game.

Today at 3-1 we should have put Fleetwood to bed.

Instead we took off our pace/attacking outlets and tried to cling on, yet still playing the same tactics eg the balls into the channels for the likes of Agard, Bryan Freeman to chase who were at this point sat on the bench.

At 3-1 the game was crying out for JET, a player who can hold the ball up, run the channels, produce goals from nothing. His very being on the pitch means defenders doubling up on him which of course creates gaps to exploit.

We are still unbeaten and today we played a decent team.

We lost 2 points today, not down to any single player, but by inept tactics and substitutions, that's the fault of the manager and a reoccurring one at that.

The sad thing is I'd of taken a point today at 3pm.

.........oh yes I do know we are still top and unbeaten in the league, doesn't mean that there's not lessons to be learned.

Calm down, there will be times this season when the roles will be reversed. We Will probably win games this season when the opposition would have thrown it away. 6 wins 3 draws from the first 9, that is title winning form let alone promotion form.

You can't get through a 46+ games season with two strikers + one young striker/winger who is yet to be prolific.  JET will get his chance. It's then up to him as to whether he takes it.  It has to be said, he didn't do himself many favours in the Oxford game.

Totally agree that you can't get through with only two strikers and a youngster but I think with all being well by January JET's chances will be limited. I would imagine SC will let him go and replace him with another striker of course. To be fair against Oxford he was non existent, Certainly wasn't showing the fight of a man desperate to win his place back.

Archived