IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Rotherham United Match Day Thread

Good afternoon one and all.

Bristol City travelled to the East Riding of Yorkshire on Saturday and, well lets be frank here, were well and truly spanked. Visiting this evening, from the West Riding of Yorkshire, are a somewhat more feasible challenge. Or is that complacent talk? Probably. 

For a visit down memory lane you may wish to recollect the reverse fixture thread:-

So, there remains little more to be said of Rotherham save delving into the annals of their history books and, quite honestly, its late here, way past my bedtime and so I wanted to delve, infinitely more easily, into the past of certain relevant names.

The name Colin is the diminutive of Nicholas. It is of Gaelic origin as is the name Neil. The family name of Warnock is from North of the border with most families from the central lowlands. The surname ******, however, has quite an interesting history and even has its own coat of arms as can be seen below on this rather unattractive and boring white mug:-

Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 23.11.51.png

I think it might be appropriate that we present this Mug to the Rotherham manager should they win this evening. Lord forbid that should happen. 

In researching for where the ******'s came from I found 14 families from the 1891 census with 64% coming from London, 29% from Yorkshire and 7% from Gloucestershire. I had no idea there were ******'s so far south as that but there you are. I suppose the Rotherham manager would have been amongst the 29% from Yorkshire. Interestingly there were no ******'s from Scotland but quite a lot in the United States where, one would imagine, a lot of fat ******'s live and mostly in the states of New York and Wisconsin.

Notable ******'s are Jerry, a Belgian Guitarist, Thomas, an Austrian composer and Werner ****** an Austrian Curler. Colin is certainly in esteemed company. ****** was also the maiden name of Peggy Bundy the fictional character in the film 'Married with Children'.

After all said and done the bar steward will probably have the last laugh this evening as I am sure he has vengeance in his veins from that Crystal Palace match at Ashton Gate and the infamous goal after the 'foul'.

I apologise if some might feel that this evening's thread deals with pathetic, morose and boring trivia. I try to make this as interesting as possible and sometimes, just sometimes, there is not much to talk about a place when it has already been said. But I finish off with this interesting factoid about Rotherham which will hopefully appeal more to the purist..

Rotherham United named their new 12,500 all seater home the New York Stadium because it is located in an area of Rotherham known as New York. It is so known because prior to the construction of stadium stood a foundry that supplied fire hydrants to New York. The man who helped to install those very hydrants? One Colin ******. Unbelievable. As you were.

Afraid it might go belly up this evening folks. I have a cruel feeling we might succumb to numb crunching tackling, long ball, swash, bang wallop one nothing to them. 

Good night all and bravo to all going tonight.. i see its a clear blue sky in Bristol... or was an hour or so ago.

UTC 

name source: ancestry.com 

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 8
4 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I guess this is what Lee regards as his strongest team

I would agree with him. I would go as far to say a very respectable championship side if all are fit.