IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Rotherham United Match Day Thread

23 minutes ago, redfieldred said:

Not back to his best by any means. Failed to impose himself on the game. Improved second half, but that wasn't hard. Pack actually did more defensive work than him, and also passed the ball forward with variable accuracy but did put us on the front foot in the early part of the second. Korey was under pressure on the ball and looked shakey

Shame but then he has been out for a few weeks. I feel much more confident when korey is playing and rarely notice him put a foot wrong.

18 minutes ago, redfieldred said:

They have won 3 out of their last 4 away and drawn the other, so although not pretty, it's not a bad result. 

We played attractive football against Burnley and Brentford and managed to lose both those quite easily

I see where you're coming from but in football, and this league particularly, you're only as good as your current performance. Hull proved that tonight winning 4-0 in their last game and losing 4-0 tonight.

Frankly, I saw two teams playing garbage and that we couldn't beat them, and equally that they couldn't beat us, reflects poorly on both sides. They were, in spite of their form, easily one of the poorer sides I have seen this division. As for us, we'll I can't profess to be a fan of Bobby Reid but I thought we were crying out for him, as well as Kodjia. as no-one had a clue what to do in the final third and Reid's vision and Kodjia's unpredictability could've unlocked them. 

4 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Frankly, I saw two teams playing garbage and that we couldn't beat them, and equally that they couldn't beat us, reflects poorly on both sides. They were, in spite of their form, easily one of the poorer sides I have seen this division. As for us, we'll I can't profess to be a fan of Bobby Reid but I thought we were crying out for him, as well as Kodjia. as no-one had a clue what to do in the final third and Reid's vision and Kodjia's unpredictability could've unlocked them. 

Reid is too lightweight for me and although he has shown glimpses of a creative midfielder he just isn't consistent enough comparable to the other midfielders we have

Bristol City manager Lee Johnson:

"The crowd were brilliant, I asked them for it and they delivered so I thank them for that,

"It was always going to be difficult, it was a bit edgy, the referee probably didn't help he had a poor 15 minutes.

"Our players were getting frustrated, I was getting frustrated and the fans were getting frustrated.

"But we kept our composure, kept our structure and we were the side that looked like going on and win it in my opinion."

Where was LJ for the other 75 minutes..in the toilet??

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

I had the misfortune to sit in front of the most annoying bloke in the world today and his 13 year old son. He came up with such gems as suggesting he'd sell Flint for a fiver and would rather have Dave Richards in goal. 

He kept using an insult that sounded like 'pyke-hand'. Can anyone shed any light on what he was saying? And what it means.

if by any stretch you're reading this and it was you, then just know that I hate you. And I hate your son.

@Woodsy will back me up on this. 

My guess would be he was calling them pie cans. An old fashioned way of calling someone useless. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 29AR said:

Any team worth their place in this division ought to have seen us off today. Shocking game, two teams playing very poorly. We had zero creativity. Lucky to get out of tonight as we did. I expect - and hope -  there will be some stern words in training tomorrow 

Mental. We have just got a draw against a team top of the current league table (last 6 games) and have pulled a further point away from the relegation zone and people are still not happy. I give up.  

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Bristol City manager Lee Johnson:

"The crowd were brilliant, I asked them for it and they delivered so I thank them for that,

"It was always going to be difficult, it was a bit edgy, the referee probably didn't help he had a poor 15 minutes.

"Our players were getting frustrated, I was getting frustrated and the fans were getting frustrated.

"But we kept our composure, kept our structure and we were the side that looked like going on and win it in my opinion."

Where was LJ for the other 75 minutes..in the toilet??

Johnson's no fool, go too far and he risks a fine 

• Like 1

I think the single point increase over MK last night will be absolutely pivotal when we look back on it. Given the effectively identical goal difference bettween us and them they effectively need to win 3 matches more than us and even that is unlikely to be enough.

There are 6 games remaining and for us to have a form collapse vis a vis the exact opposite for MK is extremely unlikely. 

I think last night will have been the night MK were relegated.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, havanatopia said:

I think the single point increase over MK last night will be absolutely pivotal when we look back on it. Given the effectively identical goal difference bettween us and them they effectively need to win 3 matches more than us and even that is unlikely to be enough.

There are 6 games remaining and for us to have a form collapse vis a vis the exact opposite for MK is extremely unlikely. 

It couldn't happen to a more deserving club. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, havanatopia said:

My thoughts too.  And Fulham winning really will have impacted on MK too, as until their last couple of games, the Cottagers were giving the Dons hope that they could catch at least one team.

Said it a little while back; due to their form, the game with Rotherham was more a 'must not lose' than a 'must win', and that a point each might end up as valuable as a win, depending on how the bottom three go on.

With only Charlton and MK in a position to catch us now, and the useful fact that come Saturday, even a draw or MK win coupled with a loss for us won't hugely dent our gap to the bottom three (and I fancy Rotherham to refuse to lose to the Dons), then we should be happy that withstanding a disastrous run of form, coupled with a remarkable run from one of Charlton or MK, we should be safe.

Weirdly, fancied us more for a win at the weekend than last night; less pressure, and against a side who will try and play - would very much 'fit' with us this season if we did better against a team higher in the league.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

Mental. We have just got a draw against a team top of the current league table (last 6 games) and have pulled a further point away from the relegation zone and people are still not happy. I give up.  

Er he's right we were dreadful last night, first half was as bad as I have seen for a long time.

10 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

I'm happy with the result; not happy with the performance. Is that not obvious? Look at how many are bemoaning the Rotherham performance and their cheating ways, should that be overlooked because they've pulled further away from the relegation zone and beaten a team who not long back were the form side?

Form is temporary. Look at Hull, last night they lost 4-0, in their previous game they won 4-0. Form goes out of the window for 90 minutes and Rotherham were by no means one of the better teams we've played at home this season; indeed they were one of the worst. Just because they've done well in their previous matches is not a precursor to how they performed last night.

We were dreadful, result was good. We got lucky because many other sides would have put us to the sword last night - equally many other sides would have to Rotherham. Thankfully they didn't but that doesn't mean we can't constructively criticise our lack of creativity and our cluelessness in lumping the ball up and/or wide. Play like that against Sheff Weds and I'm sure we'd take a battering; for that reason we should not be happy with the performance, in spite of the result. Or was our performance acceptable simply because MK Dons failed to win? - because that's what you seem to suggest.

Edited by Guest

It was a massive point gained in the end last night. At half time with MK beating Wolves & us losing I was worried. But MK losing will prove to be a defining point in the season. I can't see them overturning a 7 point gap on us now.

Very impressed by LJ's post match interview. He's no shouter but thoughtful & shrewd. He referred to the Rotherham first goal & a repeat defensive lapse that needs to be eradicated. If not there will be a change in personnel. He was bang on about us being too panicky. Defenders take a leaf from Mr Matthews. Class act last night.

12 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

Don't give up!!