IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Brighton & Hove Albion Match Day Thread

Thank you for a well informed, interesting, thought provoking and balanced post. Today's game provides a really intriguing bench-mark of our progress and standing in the league.

Although I really do hope I'm hopelessly wrong I think we will lose today. Whatever the result it will be crucial to honestly consider the performance and potential of the team that plays against Brighton.

This is the kind of game we need to win if we are to be a top six team at the end of the season, I realistically see us finishing no higher than 8th.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone,

In the 2011 census Brighton & Hove had a population of 273,400 souls. Following the same 2011 census Bristol had a population of 428,100 and if one adds Kingswood it rises to 468,834. Lee Johnson made the remark this week that Brighton, with a 'similar population' , was our yardstick and were perhaps a couple of windows ahead of us in their progression. A little poetic licence on the population difference is all well and good, for effect, but are we really only one to two transfer windows behind a club such as Albion? 

Having lived in south London for a number of years and, like the rest of us, being a football nut I usually needed my fix of the beautiful game each Saturday. In the event I could not make it west to the fairest city of them all I always looked at the likes of Palace or Brighton or even Gillingham or Sutton and Bromley for some action. I went to that old charming yet wrinkled lady that was the Goldstone Ground and also the truly awful Withdean 'Athletic' Ground. What is remarkable about football fans, any football fans, is putting up with miserable conditions not just for a few months or years but even decades. We all have that bond of suffering largely in silence letting off the steam of our everyday lives inside, quite frankly, a cesspit of a worshipful arena. Albion fans probably felt a bit like Gas fans do today; bouncing around different venues and, in the latter case, still dreaming. Brighton, on the other hand, are starting to live that dream now. The Goldstone's record attendance was nearly 37,000 against Fulham in 1958. That the owners of the club sold the ground in 1997 without consulting the fans and with no venue to move to must have been a real low point for the followers. The days of genuine plus twenty thousand crowds was seemingly gone. The Withdean, as I recall, could hold little more than five thousand. It was a bleak time in more ways than one; they first ground shared with Gillingham some 70 miles away.

Brighton beat Doncaster in the penultimate match of the 96/7 season needing a win or draw at Edgar Street to stay in the Football League.. more ways than one. They drew with Hereford 1-1 and saved themselves from utter humiliation. How they have risen since then. From the then hated Bill Archer, chairman and owner, to Tony Bloom. Folks, this is a British owned club, like us, a dying breed none other. The likes of Steve Lansdown and Tony Bloom should and are regularly saluted by fans like us and long may it continue.

The match today is, to my mind, a coming together of two men who have great respect for each other and indeed when Lee Johnson says Albion are our 'model' he means it not in a way to belittle ourselves, for that would be inaccurate a comparison given our myriad histories of relative glory and turmoil, but he says it because of the respect each club owner has for the other and how we are, in many ways, developing a sustainable model much like theirs. 

I fully expect this to be a fiercely competitive match today, much like the game with Newcastle, and in the same vein one I do not expect much from. That said, we still have a team that is raw, new and somewhat of an unknown quantity even to those of us who watch them week in and week out; do we yet know how far this team can rise? Likely not. Perhaps we can win, anything is possible, and it is only 11 v 11 on the day. Perhaps I will be cautious and suggest a lockout 1-1 draw. 

I am simply delighted that I shall be attending only my second game of the season following the opening day thriller against Wigan. I do hope our average attendance of the season tops Wolves and we move up to 8th in the rankings but I would happily sacrifice that for moving to 4th with a win. Those who stay away will likely miss a thriller in the event.

Should I try a pastie? Mum, being Cornish, of course makes the best pasties in the land so that might just be a mistake.

Enjoy the game everyone.

UTC.

It should n't be forgotten that their chairman came to Bristol to support and speak for our attempt to build Ashton Vale .

He also communicated with us fans and took the time to reply personally to my message of thanks .

This shows that he is a decent guy and,  apart from today , I hope they have a great season resulting in a second place behind us .

• Like 10

Good day everyone,

In the 2011 census Brighton & Hove had a population of 273,400 souls. Following the same 2011 census Bristol had a population of 428,100 and if one adds Kingswood it rises to 468,834. Lee Johnson made the remark this week that Brighton, with a 'similar population' , was our yardstick and were perhaps a couple of windows ahead of us in their progression. A little poetic licence on the population difference is all well and good, for effect, but are we really only one to two transfer windows behind a club such as Albion? 

Having lived in south London for a number of years and, like the rest of us, being a football nut I usually needed my fix of the beautiful game each Saturday. In the event I could not make it west to the fairest city of them all I always looked at the likes of Palace or Brighton or even Gillingham or Sutton and Bromley for some action. I went to that old charming yet wrinkled lady that was the Goldstone Ground and also the truly awful Withdean 'Athletic' Ground. What is remarkable about football fans, any football fans, is putting up with miserable conditions not just for a few months or years but even decades. We all have that bond of suffering largely in silence letting off the steam of our everyday lives inside, quite frankly, a cesspit of a worshipful arena. Albion fans probably felt a bit like Gas fans do today; bouncing around different venues and, in the latter case, still dreaming. Brighton, on the other hand, are starting to live that dream now. The Goldstone's record attendance was nearly 37,000 against Fulham in 1958. That the owners of the club sold the ground in 1997 without consulting the fans and with no venue to move to must have been a real low point for the followers. The days of genuine plus twenty thousand crowds was seemingly gone. The Withdean, as I recall, could hold little more than five thousand. It was a bleak time in more ways than one; they first ground shared with Gillingham some 70 miles away.

Brighton beat Doncaster in the penultimate match of the 96/7 season needing a win or draw at Edgar Street to stay in the Football League.. more ways than one. They drew with Hereford 1-1 and saved themselves from utter humiliation. How they have risen since then. From the then hated Bill Archer, chairman and owner, to Tony Bloom. Folks, this is a British owned club, like us, a dying breed none other. The likes of Steve Lansdown and Tony Bloom should and are regularly saluted by fans like us and long may it continue.

The match today is, to my mind, a coming together of two men who have great respect for each other and indeed when Lee Johnson says Albion are our 'model' he means it not in a way to belittle ourselves, for that would be inaccurate a comparison given our myriad histories of relative glory and turmoil, but he says it because of the respect each club owner has for the other and how we are, in many ways, developing a sustainable model much like theirs. 

I fully expect this to be a fiercely competitive match today, much like the game with Newcastle, and in the same vein one I do not expect much from. That said, we still have a team that is raw, new and somewhat of an unknown quantity even to those of us who watch them week in and week out; do we yet know how far this team can rise? Likely not. Perhaps we can win, anything is possible, and it is only 11 v 11 on the day. Perhaps I will be cautious and suggest a lockout 1-1 draw. 

I am simply delighted that I shall be attending only my second game of the season following the opening day thriller against Wigan. I do hope our average attendance of the season tops Wolves and we move up to 8th in the rankings but I would happily sacrifice that for moving to 4th with a win. Those who stay away will likely miss a thriller in the event.

Should I try a pastie? Mum, being Cornish, of course makes the best pasties in the land so that might just be a mistake.

Enjoy the game everyone.

UTC.

Bristol has 2 teams so if you halve the population then you are actually close in size and potential support.

Well, I think a draw is very possible, although with our up and down form atm, who knows what will happen. I just hope we can score in the first half, instead of as usual waiting for the second half to start to get going and as it's on Sky, let's hope they put in a good performance in front of the cameras.  Just out of interest, if anyone is. it's the final game of the Meistriliga League today, with three Tallinn clubs fighting it out for the prize of being in the Champions League Qualifiers next season.  Infonet are top with 77 points, Levadia are second with 75 points and Nomme Kalju are third with 75 points.  Nomme have to play Infonet and Levadia are playing Flora who have 73 points and can't win the league,  are forth.  So it's going to be tight and a very interesting, in the six years, I have lived here,  I can't remember it being so close on the last game.

• Like 1

Good day everyone,

Good day to you, sir.  Like others have said, another quality match-day thread, here's hoping you see an equally quality game today.

I expect fireworks on the pitch to match the skyline around Ashton Gate.  A cracking game with plenty of excitement.  I wouldn't begrudge a City defeat, as long as we look dangerous and impress the folks watching at home.

I'm also tipping a 1-1 draw, with the real chance someone will sneak a late winner.

Tomlin to score for us.

COME ON YOU REDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Edited by reddogkev
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

A game against Brighton always brings up my worst memory of supporting City. That 2004 final defeat was an absolute sickener and had many Brighton fans gloating on the way back.

Lets at least try and banish that memory today City!

Then it's about time we had our revenge COYR's

34 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

It should n't be forgotten that their chairman came to Bristol to support and speak for our attempt to build Ashton Vale .

He also communicated with us fans and took the time to reply personally to my message of thanks .

This shows that he is a decent guy and,  apart from today , I hope they have a great season resulting in a second place behind us .

Absolutely Major.

Toughest game of the season today for me. Their clearly in form, score goals and don't let many in. As others have said they're been in the top three this season.

We've got to be at our best tonight to get a result. No tinkerkng from Johnson with the team, quite simply he has to play our best 11, in what he believes is our best formation.

Good indicator to where we stand this season. Unlike other teams we've played such as Newcastle I don't think they're just settle for a 1-0 away win

Brighton have won 2 more games than City after 15 games and we are the home team.

We should not be defeatist about this match.

If LJ picks our best team in the correct formation, and fires them up to go at Brighton from the first minute there's no reason why we should not be confident of victory.

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Brighton have won 2 more games than City after 15 games and we are the home team.

We should not be defeatist about this match.

If LJ picks our best team in the correct formation, and fires them up to go at Brighton from the first minute there's no reason why we should not be confident of victory.

A poor 45 mins as poor as some we have seen this season will see the game effectively over..

We can't have that luxury today and need to be out of the blocks.

The only chink of light for me is they are so forwards looking,attacking at every opportunity-could leave them open to the counter,so need a bit of pace in our side today.