IGNORED

The Official Newcastle United v Bristol City Match Day Thread

3 minutes ago, Sparkz 76 said:

It's always disappointing to let a 2 nil lead slip away but this is against a top top team. If we do go down I'm pleased we are showing fight and passion like we did today. If we show as much determination like we did today I'm sure we can stay up

Agreed. Congratulations to LJ and the players. Sounds like everyone fought, got stuck in and certainly lots of energy whch I did not believe would happen in looking at the line up. We are now playing game to game for points. I cannot dismiss the fact that we dont have issues as a club and we need better in every department especially if we stay in the championship next year and without Tammy. 

I really hope the Management team does not get complacent and that there are changes.

3 hours ago, cynic said:

Chatting to a mate the other night and he was adamant that Reid was 21.

Just wouldn't believe that he is now 24.

(mind you he looks about 12 - but thats maybe me being so much older, policemen and all that)

Made his first team debut in 2010/2011 season - seems forever ago

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

Still on my way back to Bristol but wow what an incredible performance that I am extremely proud of.

Well done to you and everyone else who went. 

So the findings from Saturdays match then?.. He wished he had not sold Ayling and Freeman and then pretty much only Giefer would have been his purchase on the pitch. So much for the stalwarts not being up to the task. So much for 'his' team. 

Makes rather a mockery of Mark Ashtons 'we will leave no stone unturned in our quest to improve the team' remarks.

Well maybe that quest caused the dissenting voices in the squad as each new player came in so the anger and disillusion stepped up and Lee had utterly inadequate skills in which to deal with it.

I suspect JP had a greater influence in yesterdays team selection than much of the nonsense that has gone before.

If Lee does hang around and becomes JP's defacto assistant we may stay up. I think it may have already begun. 

Edited by havanatopia
2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Well done to you and everyone else who went. 

So the findings from Saturdays match then?.. He wished he had not sold Ayling and Freeman and then pretty much only Giefer would have been his purchase on the pitch. So much for the stalwarts not being up to the task. So much for 'his' team. 

Makes rather a mockery of Mark Ashtons 'we will leave no stone unturned in our quest to improve the team' remarks.

Well maybe that quest caused the dissenting voices in the squad as each new player came in so the anger and disillusion stepped up and Lee had utterly inadequate skills in which to deal with it.

I suspect JP had a greater influence in yesterdays team selection than much of the nonsense that has gone before.

If Lee does hang around and becomes JP's defacto assistant we may stay up. I think it may have already begun. 

It truly was a whole club performance and shows what can be achieved when everyone is United. 

You really had to be there to feel how great the atmosphere was. Playing the best team in the league, being up against 49k Geordies and being right up in the heavens ment the team and fans were really up against it but each and every one of us raised our game. We all had to shout as loud as we possibly could to get our message of support accross to the players, every tackle, every clearance and every save was greeted with a war cry from our fans. How we held on I don't know but what I do know is as a club we held on together. 

For 90 mins our current situation was forgotten about. Ok it was only a draw but today will go down as one of my most memorable away days.

I was expecting to get hammered by Newcastle, but I treated this game as a cup final and a small part of me believed we could nick a result. 

Every Newcastle fan I spoke to were very impressed with our performance and our vocal support.

My MOTM was Giefer, with Cotts coming a very close second. 

Giefer was born for today's game. He pulled off some great saves, dominated his area and his performance inspired the defence. Today he looked right at home at St James Park. And then what impressed me the most was when under the cosh he would slow the game right down to relieve pressure, throw himself on the floor when catching the ball, taking an absolute age to take kicks, this game us a chance to regroup and catch our breaths. Not had a keeper of ours do these things for a very long time.

Ok it may be a flash in the pan but on today's performance he gets my full credit.

LJ imo got everything spot on today (which can't often be said) for once he made the right subs at the right times.

• Like 12
6 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

Nice to hear that we was united. We can not afford nothing else in this situation. Many games left and hard work in every games must be. This game showed the capasity in our team. If we do the same trick in the rest of the season we will be ok.

At one point the noise from the Newcastle fans was deafening, I had never heard such a noise at a football stadium. Newcastle were really on top of us at this point. Every man and their dog shouted as loud as they could to offer some encouragement.

9 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

Nice to hear that we was united. We can not afford nothing else in this situation. Many games left and hard work in every games must be. This game showed the capasity in our team. If we do the same trick in the rest of the season we will be ok.

No. They was United ;)

17 hours ago, Up The City! said:

It truly was a whole club performance and shows what can be achieved when everyone is United. 

You really had to be there to feel how great the atmosphere was. Playing the best team in the league, being up against 49k Geordies and being right up in the heavens ment the team and fans were really up against it but each and every one of us raised our game. We all had to shout as loud as we possibly could to get our message of support accross to the players, every tackle, every clearance and every save was greeted with a war cry from our fans. How we held on I don't know but what I do know is as a club we held on together. 

For 90 mins our current situation was forgotten about. Ok it was only a draw but today will go down as one of my most memorable away days.

I was expecting to get hammered by Newcastle, but I treated this game as a cup final and a small part of me believed we could nick a result. 

Every Newcastle fan I spoke to were very impressed with our performance and our vocal support.

My MOTM was Giefer, with Cotts coming a very close second. 

Giefer was born for today's game. He pulled off some great saves, dominated his area and his performance inspired the defence. Today he looked right at home at St James Park. And then what impressed me the most was when under the cosh he would slow the game right down to relieve pressure, throw himself on the floor when catching the ball, taking an absolute age to take kicks, this game us a chance to regroup and catch our breaths. Not had a keeper of ours do these things for a very long time.

Ok it may be a flash in the pan but on today's performance he gets my full credit.

LJ imo got everything spot on today (which can't often be said) for once he made the right subs at the right times.

Fantastic post Up the City. Perfectly sums up how the day was for me too. I nearly sh@t myself when I saw how high up we were. Took me a good few minutes to get used to it. The site of more and more knackered City fans arriving after climbing all those stairs was a great distraction. Loved the way we outsang 50,000 Newcastle fans.  The only time I thought they were REALLY loud was when they were booing Giefer for taking his time, which I absolutely loved.

The fact that 2600+ City fans went all they way up there and gave the level of support that they did, in spite of how bad performances have been lately, gave me a great sense of pride in being a City fan.

Half time was priceless when one of our fans was on the phone to a mate telling them we were 2-0 up. 'No, we're winning 2-0 .....2-0 to us....honest....' 

Been to 60+ grounds watching City but that was right near the top for me as away days go. Worth every mile of the 600 mile round trip.