IGNORED

The Official Newcastle United v Bristol City Match Day Thread

1 minute ago, cynic said:

There are some on here that wanted us to lose which is quite pathetic (as if that would have got rid of LJ).

All they have tonight is the team not holding on to a 2-0 lead.

You are 100% correct - a great point gained.

Look forward to reading what those who were at the game have to say.

I am afraid that it's not just today Cynic, there have been people hoping he will fail from day 1. People unable to separate their opinion of him from that of player, his father and whatever else. They would rather be able to say "i told you so" than "I was wrong" that is the real sadness.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

And so would I under normal circumstances but it happens far too often to us.

Let me put a different slant on it then, at least we didn't lose this time, how about that?.

I totally agree mate, we haven`t been able to hold on far too many times this season and it is totally unacceptable but I`m prepared to give the players the benefit of the doubt tonight. They didn`t sound like they crumbled and were forced back rather than choosing (or being instructed) to sit back.

I`m looking forward to Ole`s match report as that will no doubt be reasoned and fair as always.

• Like 2

Good applause for the players at the end. I'm told.

On the selection of Wilbs, he's one of my favourite City players. I was surprised that LJ came out and talked about "energy" and then picked the oldest player in the squad to lead the line...he doesn't help himself in my opinion...but delighted for Wilbs and the fans that made the journey.

• Like 1

I am pretty happy with the result. Listened on the radio first half we were terrific. Good point, and one more than most expected I am sure.

Brave selection by Johnson that- recalling Vyner and Wilbraham in particular- Vyner as he has barely played in the last year, Wilbraham as nobody expected it really. he made a good selection.

The substitutions...hmm. Too late with them again. I think the turning point was when Cotterill almost scored his 2nd just after Newcastle scored- had he done so we would have been home and dry.

Still a good result though, one we now must build on.

As for the next 2 games...Burton is obviously must win, nailed on must win. I would take a point at Villa, a little run like that would be steady solid.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
2 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

On the selection of Wilbs, he's one of my favourite City players. I was surprised that LJ came out and talked about "energy" and then picked the oldest player in the squad to lead the line...he doesn't help himself in my opinion...but delighted for Wilbs and the fans that made the journey.

I think he intended to start Djuric but his injury forced his hand.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I am afraid that it's not just today Cynic, there have been people hoping he will fail from day 1. People unable to separate their opinion of him from that of player, his father and whatever else. They would rather be able to say "i told you so" than "I was wrong" that is the real sadness.

But that's not very many people is it? I thought his dad was a great manager, and LJ was a tidy player. I wanted him to do well...he's been awful for that past few months, the worst sequence of results in our history is what's turned supporters against him. 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Red Exile said:

I have to say, I completely understand what he meant. It's not just about running around, it's about choosing your battles and using you energy at the right times. Every time Wilbs has been used this season, he has shown that he understands completely when to close people down, when to make the right runs and when to concede your position. I am sure that will have rubbed off on the other players too.

2 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

But that's not very many people is it? I thought his dad was a great manager, and LJ was a tidy player. I wanted him to do well...he's been awful for that past few months, the worst sequence of results in our history is what's turned supporters against him. 

At least you admit they exist, when I have suggested this before, I get people on basically telling me I am paranoid or getting shirty because they think I mean them. It's been an awful sequence of results for sure, there were times I had to remember how bad we were in the early 80's, to take some comfort that things can ever improve.. But I still think there are signs that there are good things happening in the squad and at the levels below, the Fulham game was the first time I have wavered this season because it seemed such a terrible backward step, but I am hoping the ruthlessness that LJ showed in changing things after it, will stand him in good stead going forward.

9 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Anyone want to apologise for the absolute pasting LJ and his team selection, especially of Wilbs, got before the game?

After a committed, energetic and gritty performance at the league leaders?

:whistle:

No, didn't think so. It's easy on FM isn't it.

:yawn:

Good point ? Yes , but another 2 points lost.
I don't go along with it'sa 90 minute game and doesn't matter when you score bollox. Any reasonable side hold on to a 2 or 3 goal lead. And I don't care they are the Leaders, Derby and Reading aren't.  It's shit that we can't hang onto a lead, we expect to concede when we score, if we don't score we expect to lose , which under the LJ watch has happened A LOT !
He chose his trusted players today, fantastic. It means he has brought in lots of players he doesn't trust . He also chose that team the other night ,that turned in the most abject performance I have seen in an age . But lets not dwell on that , or the previous months of pathetic performances or lack of leadership.
At the end of the day it was a good draw (same as at Derby they ran out of time), but I won't be starting a parade for LJ just yet. 

A question for all the happy clappers/LJ supporters ..... would you really look forward to another year like this? TBF I can't see SL spunking another £15m on LJ's quest to buy the world though.

• Like 1

Why oh why oh why though  does he insist on referring to players by their surname

(Post match)

Disrespectful IMHO can't be a good thing

Sort of unnecessary thing that will piss players off

ohhhh Lee has just said 'We are only in phase two of three .....'

Ahhhh we can all relax :yawn:

Whats the third ?

Anyone have any idea ?

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Why oh why oh why does he insist on referring to players by their surname

(Post match)

ohhhh Lee has just said We are only in phase two of three .....

wouldn't bother me tbh. I've been called by my surname for years

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Why oh why oh why though  does he insist on referring to players by their surname

(Post match)

Not sure it's a big deal. We refer to the players, the staff and the board all by surname only most of the time. Thinking about it doesn't Mourinho do the same? 

Like two peas in a pod, them two. ;) 

Edited by BRISTOL86
6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

(Post match)

Whats the third ?

Anyone have any idea ?

He is in the window business

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Well you were sort of hoping that Toon won by 4 or 5, Fordy, so the fact we didn't lose by anything must be upsetting indeed if LJ was to go as a result.

But 2-0 down or 2-0 up to end 2-2 is not the point.

The point's the point- if you get my point. Against Newcastle. The League leaders. Away.

Do you really believe that?

I don't.  

14 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

(Post match)

Whats the third ?

Anyone have any idea ?

Relegation!

5 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

When I saw today's line-up I feared the worst, but lads gave it 100%, that's all I can ask.

It's not results like today, that have put us where we are in the league.

I thought the support was amazing, I could only hear the City fans in the first half.

It was like a morgue in the first half from their point of view. Easily frustrated if they started passing the ball about the back. 

Wilbs was massive today. As previously said did everything right. Took a card at the right time. 

What a loan Dave Cotterill is turning out to be. Didn't stop once today. Absolute shift and a half. 

Thought we went quiet very early on in the second half. Nervous expectation of the impending onslaught. 

Well pleased with a point and more than pleased that I didn't put £20 on a 4-0 hammering.