IGNORED

Kevin Mabbut hat trick v Man Utd

pongo88

Wasn't there, but still use him as my claim to fame - was told to man-mark him when we were at junior school (Henbury Court v Elmlea), and he scored the only goal after our goalkeeper threw the ball straight to him. Have lived off that ever since the hat-trick, telling everyone how I did better against him than Man United's defenders!! 

That film was made by Jonathan Pearce's father who did a lot of them privately for the club, so I understand. JP may have been there with his Dad because he helped him on the match days. Back in the good old days when not every match was seen by an army of SKY cameras with multi angle replays. I wasn't there that day but did see the 1-0 win a couple/three years before when Donnie Gillies scored.

In the First Division we had a respectable record about the big clubs. It was teams like Birmingham, Boro that we let ourselves down.

1 hour ago, timh59 said:

Wasn't there, but still use him as my claim to fame - was told to man-mark him when we were at junior school (Henbury Court v Elmlea), and he scored the only goal after our goalkeeper threw the ball straight to him. Have lived off that ever since the hat-trick, telling everyone how I did better against him than Man United's defenders!! 

Better than that for me Tim.

I was at Elmlea when Kevin joined the school in what would now be called year 5.

I was just going into my final year - I'm 6 months older than KM by the looks of it - and had already had 1 season as the resident striker and top scorer for the school team.

When it went round the school that one of the new boys was the son of a professional footballer we'd all assumed he'd get in the team - several 'Y5' boys did - but he wasn't good enough.

So I kept Mabbutt out of the school team. :yes:

Btw, Alan Dicks' children joined Elmlea about the same time.

12 hours ago, fatchers said:

I remember City doing the double over Utd 1-0 home and away,the season that the mancs won promotion back to the Top flight. We followed them up the following season I believe.

1974-75 the top six were Man U, Villa, Norwich, Sunderland, City & WBA. 75-76 the top three were Sunderland, City & WBA. I believe that's the only time that's ever happened. I've tried looking for but can't find the ITV coverage of City's win at OT in 74-75. After the game, Alan Dicks was asked by the commentator "Can you explain this day light robbery"?

30 minutes ago, 22A said:

1974-75 the top six were Man U, Villa, Norwich, Sunderland, City & WBA. 75-76 the top three were Sunderland, City & WBA. I believe that's the only time that's ever happened. I've tried looking for but can't find the ITV coverage of City's win at OT in 74-75. After the game, Alan Dicks was asked by the commentator "Can you explain this day light robbery"?

Also remember Tommy Doc saying we were the most negative and defensive team he had every seen, talk about sour grapes. :) 

11 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Also remember Tommy Doc saying we were the most negative and defensive team he had every seen, talk about sour grapes. :) 

His exact words were that he wouldn't cross the road to watch Bristol City. Tbf I wouldn't either in certain circumstances at the time, those circumstances being that City were playing at Eastville and the road in question was the M32!

I was living in Lancaster and went to most of the away games in the North including the struggle up to Carlisle in, I think, 1975 but the 3-1 at Old Trafford was the best. Clive Whitehead at his quickest. Kev was brilliant.

22 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The Manchester teams didn't hold back when it came to criticising BCFC.

Man. City captain Mike Doyle, being interviewed on MOTD, once famously said, 'Bristol City aren't fit to lace our boots'.

That was after we beat them with a cleverly worked free kick converted by Garland after Man City had gone something like 17 league matches unbeaten. We more than matched them that day and deserved our victory so it was a rather petulant comment from one of the big boys. I had respected Doyle prior to that but that went out the window when he did that.

8 hours ago, handsofclay said:

That was after we beat them with a cleverly worked free kick converted by Garland after Man City had gone something like 17 league matches unbeaten. We more than matched them that day and deserved our victory so it was a rather petulant comment from one of the big boys. I had respected Doyle prior to that but that went out the window when he did that.

Norman Hunter took it IIRC.

Archived