IGNORED

Bobby or Gustav

CyderInACan

Assuming we don't sign a new front-man who goes straight into the starting XI tmrw, it seems that it's a straight choice between the in-form local midfielder-turned-striker and our Swedish enigma to partner or drop off our record signing  Diédhiou against Barnsley. 

No doubt young Bobby has been flames pre-season against mainly nondescript opposition but of course you can only score against what's put in front of you. Gustav has also been in fine form but in "proper" football and has gone to Tenerife, returned to BS3 and notched a brace to help us win silverware in Gloucestershire the other week. 

So the dilemma is, who do you pick? The actual-real-striker or the obviously-skilful-but-untested-at-any-real-level-as-a-striker academy product? And why? 

COYR :city:

2 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Ah what the hell, play em both!

Football should become a far more attacking game ...

A couple of fullbacks, a centre half, 2 half backs, 2 inside forwards 2 wingers and a centre forward - that should do the trick!

13 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Assuming we don't sign a new front-man who goes straight into the starting XI tmrw, it seems that it's a straight choice between the in-form local midfielder-turned-striker and our Swedish enigma to partner or drop off our record signing  Diédhiou against Barnsley. 

No doubt young Bobby has been flames pre-season against mainly nondescript opposition but of course you can only score against what's put in front of you. Gustav has also been in fine form but in "proper" football and has gone to Tenerife, returned to BS3 and notched a brace to help us win silverware in Gloucestershire the other week. 

So the dilemma is, who do you pick? The actual-real-striker or the obviously-skilful-but-untested-at-any-real-level-as-a-striker academy product? And why? 

COYR :city:

Gustav-brought here as a striker and if he doesn't get in the eleven under current circumstances he never will.

Give him a chance,or move him on.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

But he's not that experienced in a front two whereas Gustav is. 

Id definitely play Reid but as an attacking midfielder.

I'd start him up top Robbo, then if it isn't working drop him into the attacking midfield role,

He'll never get experience otherwise 

58 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Gustav-brought here as a striker and if he doesn't get in the eleven under current circumstances he never will.

Give him a chance,or move him on.

I'd say Famara (having not seen him play) has the build of the lone gunman premiership striker for the away games. For tomorrow I think it depends on how we'll best get through the Barnsley defence. They'll defend in numbers and look to try to break quickly. I'm no @spudski (come back, I enjoyed your posts), but an on form Booby Reid might be the best option. Saying that I'd like to see Engvall given a decent go.

Assuming LJ is going to play the same way as he has all pre-season, then Bobby Reid is in possession of the shirt to partner Famara Diedhiou.  I don't think it will be as an out and out striker, but nor is it a no10 / in the hole either.  Gustav Engvall is hopefully the go-to man on the bench, and hopefully putting the pressure on BR and FD.

We will (almost certainly) play a sort of 442 , the way we finished last year.
Most of the team picks itself, and if Reid doesn't get a start after the pre season he's had then what's the point.  I really want Engval to get a run, but Bobby's been on firs and his confidence must be high. I don't care that we've played no-one of note Twente apart,  he's scored. 
Also he can come off of FD to help MF a little and will close down , a bit like Taylor did last year.

Given Reid's form of pre-season I cannot see Johnson going with Engvall and I also cannot see him only going 1 up top at home to Barnsley.

Reid to start for me, though sooner rather than later I think Engvall needs to be given a proper chance.

I think Bobby should start but I think it's important to realise that if he starts he won't be playing as an out and out striker alongside Famara. For him it's more about dropping between the defence and midfield and linking in Brownhill and Paterson. So that they can create those triangles of patterns of play with the overlap of Pisano and Bryan. 

I'd like to see Engval getting on depending on how game is panning out but expect he would be pushed further forward than Bobby. They are likely to play different roles to each other.

Judging by team selection throughout pre-season it looks as though Bobby will get the nod over Gus.

Personally, I'd really like to see Gus given a decent run of, say 5-10 games or so to show what he can do.... not sure this will happen though barring it being forced by injuries and lack of incoming players. 

Assuming its a 4-4-2, time to start with Gustav I think - he is the recognised striker and he's either going to make it in this league or he isn't. It's a confidence game and with the shortage of fit strikers he'd have to think he's worth the start - what further impact on his thinking to then not get the nod.

Opening day home matches are always intense, I would keep Bobby on the bench and make use of his pace later in the game - I know he has had a flyer in pre season and I agree you can only score against what is put in front of you, but the overall quality of the opposition faced has to be remembered.

Engvall. With the injury list as it is if he doesn't get a chance now he never will. Reid isn't a forward and scoring against weak opposition in preseason is nice but not indicative that it will work in the Championship. Engvall and Diédhiou could be a real partnership. 

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I'd say Famara (having not seen him play) has the build of the lone gunman premiership striker for the away games. For tomorrow I think it depends on how we'll best get through the Barnsley defence. They'll defend in numbers and look to try to break quickly. I'm no @spudski (come back, I enjoyed your posts), but an on form Booby Reid might be the best option. Saying that I'd like to see Engvall given a decent go.

Come back Spudski indeed...

I like Enkvall. His effort v Hull last season stays in my mind and showed how good he could be. But Reid has gradually gained confidence playing against improving opposition each game and I believe he has found the knack of putting the ball in the back of the net. He has the fitness to buzz around Diedhiou and make those difficult to stop runs into the oppositions penalty area. Away to Brighton at the end of last season he got into their penalty area and then could be seen working his butt off to get back into ours to defend. We also need Brownhill to be in central midfield so that he can make some bombing runs forward to support the front two and also the wide guys, Patterson and O'Dowda getting down the flanks. Thats why Pack has to play in that central defensive role in case of a breakaway. I would still play Flint alongside Wright. Pretty easy being a footy manager init.

2 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

It matters little.  Either can start and the other can replace him for the second half if it isn't working.  Bobby has earned a start, but what's the point of paying Gustav if he's not worth picking.

Give em both a chance and see who shines more brightly.

All we a saying , is give Gus a chance .

All we are saying , is give Gus a chance .

:trumpet::dancing2::violin:

After that pre-season it has to be Bobby. He's earned the right to have a go. If he doesn't do it then Gus can have a try. Anything else sends the wrong message to Bobby.

You may argue that Bobby got a chance in pre-season and that Gus didn't (and he did well with the opportunity that he did have) but somebody has to start and that will have been based on training and past performances. The fact that Engvall deserves a chance has no bearing on the fact that Reid has excelled in pre-season and should be rewarded with the chance to play in league games.

3 hours ago, Flagon said:

I think Bobby should start but I think it's important to realise that if he starts he won't be playing as an out and out striker alongside Famara. For him it's more about dropping between the defence and midfield and linking in Brownhill and Paterson. So that they can create those triangles of patterns of play with the overlap of Pisano and Bryan. 

I'd like to see Engval getting on depending on how game is panning out but expect he would be pushed further forward than Bobby. They are likely to play different roles to each other.

This is exactly how I see it happening tomorrow too

Archived