Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

CyderInACan

It all kicked off in Bristol (Merged)

Recommended Posts

The. Worst books I’ve ever read are by the brimson brothers who say they fallow Watford. They bang on about england away quite a lot and yet iv never seen either of them in the years iv been going . A right pair of tools these two seem to be and if memory severs me one was even on breakfast tv one morning.... now I don’t think any of the people mentioned in this book would be that keen on sitting on the coach with graham on points west at 6.30 in the evening.....would you ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

Bristol City in the 80s was a well respected firm by most English clubs. Some good wins, some bad losses also.

There was noone at the top actually “organising” the Saturdays per say, but there were 6 or so lads from across Bristol (south & north)/Bath/Taunton etc who will remain nameless on here (but those ITK will know them) who collectively could pull together 200+ good City lads on any given game to take it to the other side’s firm when they knew they were coming to town. Or we were going away. Barton Hill, Knowle West (The Venture pub), Kingswood, Hanham, Whitchurch all had good numbers. Not just Bedminster.

Quite often the away games were the best because you had an element of surprise on your side. Problem was that quite often City were not that well organised on away games in the early days and big mobs just got rounded up by the OB. 20/30 game lads could cause more havoc than 100+ with hangers on. The Millwall incident on Cumberland road was one example of this that is well documented.

Yes, things happened not to be proud off, but in all honesty, the camaraderie in those days was like a 2nd family (Bristol City was a close knit club after the 1982 “nearly going bust” saga) and many of those fans who have long passed, fans will still feel for just like a family member as many were close mates. Lumber lists many that have passed at the back of the book.

The book by Lumber is a good read and tells some good stories and some bad ones also. But fair play to Paul for getting it printed. There are many young’uns on OTIB who won’t have a scooby doo what happened in the 80s/90s and this book gives a good insight/recollection of some of them.

The Rovers Eastville story and “changing the locks” ...........

I've been to many Swindon v City games since the mid 70's and it's the one game I miss the most as there's always a great atmosphere home or away

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, phantom said:

 

The first line is a phrase I have heard mention in bars around this country still today

The locks story, whilst many I appreciate wont like what happened, it is simply genius and if happened in a film people would say that would never happen

 

To me the book is what it is, of course we know there are those have their feelings against all that went on, but it did happen and whilst the book has its flaws some of the stories were interesting to read, and more so when names etc are people that I recognise.

I think it is unfair to pick out the actual writing at least he gave it a go. I have read many similar books over the years and was glad there was a City version written.

Yes. I agree with all this. The point about writing I made was someone said it was ghost written, if that was the case not great.
 

However as I pointed out to my lawyer (who read it, don't worry he’s not in England) who made the comment about writing to me, ‘it’s a book about footy violence and a window into my life from a very very young age’ the style Of writing reflects the subject!

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

Not just the 80's mate, we still have that same respect by the firms that matter to this day.

Living in the past 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally enjoyed the book, a bit after my time for that kind of stuff but recognize a few people in there, have just bought the book for a second time on Kindle so can read on my work travels, it's not supposed to be high literature, just a normal blokes recollections of his youth/ early manhood, when I tell similar stories to my friends now they are aghast, but to many of us living in those times, poverty and physicality was just normality,  take the book to be entertainment, probably bits of embellishment but on the whole a reverie from today's reality.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/05/2020 at 23:48, freezer said:

I agree.

He certainly has the capacity to integrate the humour side of things. 

Sharp as a rubber ball he is?!

There is an old Thomas Cook travel brochure from the 70's and Beany is on the front cover sat by a pool somewhere in Spain ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Med/MadHatter said:

I personally enjoyed the book, a bit after my time for that kind of stuff but recognize a few people in there, have just bought the book for a second time on Kindle so can read on my work travels, it's not supposed to be high literature, just a normal blokes recollections of his youth/ early manhood, when I tell similar stories to my friends now they are aghast, but to many of us living in those times, poverty and physicality was just normality,  take the book to be entertainment, probably bits of embellishment but on the whole a reverie from today's reality.

Thats is one of the reasons i went away as a kid easy to nick from shops in a mob loads of us used to do it only way to stay up with the fashion. 

Thanks god my kids aint turned out like it 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

The. Worst books I’ve ever read are by the brimson brothers who say they fallow Watford. They bang on about england away quite a lot and yet iv never seen either of them in the years iv been going . A right pair of tools these two seem to be and if memory severs me one was even on breakfast tv one morning.... now I don’t think any of the people mentioned in this book would be that keen on sitting on the coach with graham on points west at 6.30 in the evening.....would you ?

They are very successful guys - eg Dougie Brimson served in the RAF for 18 years and has since won many awards for his film writing and Eddy is a successful actor and a stand up comedian. Dougie is also significantly older than you (assuming your date of birth is 1969) so may have followed England away before you did? You’ve also been privileged to have followed England in the ‘sanitised’ football experience era ... all that aside though, you say you haven’t seen them following England....so that means they didn’t? You identify, know, remember and log everyone who has followed England since you started doing so?

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

They are very successful guys - eg Dougie Brimson served in the RAF for 18 years and has since won many awards for his film writing and Eddy is a successful actor and a stand up comedian. Dougie is also significantly older than you (assuming your date of birth is 1969) so may have followed England away before you did? You’ve also been privileged to have followed England in the ‘sanitised’ football experience era ... They bang on about england away quite a lot and yet iv never seen either of them in the years iv been going.   all that aside though, you say you haven’t seen them following England....so that means they didn’t? You identify, know, remember and log everyone who has followed England since you started doing so?

You may well be correct, but, if I may say so, you have an awfully antagonistic, even aggressive manner of saying so.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

You may well be correct, but, if I may say so, you have an awfully antagonistic, even aggressive manner of saying so.

OK Matt Hancock calm down!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

You may well be correct, but, if I may say so, you have an awfully antagonistic, even aggressive manner of saying so.

Can’t see any aggression in my response Phil and there was certainly none intended ...

  • Flames 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's mildly amusing / confusing that so many people who hate the very idea of this book have actually gone out and bought it - guess what, a book featuring a guy wielding a baseball bat on the cover isn't going to give you tips on tickling. 

I would agree that it's definitely not a memorable read compared to a few in the genre (would say that Scally, Steaming In and Naughty are by far the best in a pretty mediocre and one-dimensional field), but it is exactly what it promises to be on the sleeve - an inside look at our mob. 

It shan't be remembered as a work of great literary merit, and let's be honest, the proof reader should be finished off with the pistol, but fair play to the author for making a couple of quid and putting his thoughts onto paper - if you don't like it, don't buy it! If ever he (or anyone else for that matter) were to write a follow-up, I'd certainly look forward to ordering a copy. 

Edited by poland_exile
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quiz time. Is the following line: "for alarmingly large chunks of an average day, I am a moron" taken from:

1. Big Jane Austen's "Prowed and Prejudice"

2. Mr. P. Lumber's "It All Went Off In Bristol"

3. Nick Arsenal Fan's "Fever Pitch"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Quiz time. Is the following line: "for alarmingly large chunks of an average day, I am a moron" taken from:

1. Big Jane Austen's "Prowed and Prejudice"

2. Mr. P. Lumber's "It All Went Off In Bristol"

3. Nick Arsenal Fan's "Fever Pitch"

 

4. Ian Holloway's autobiography 

PS :laugh:'d at 1

Edited by CyderInACan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Quiz time. Is the following line: "for alarmingly large chunks of an average day, I am a moron" taken from:

1. Big Jane Austen's "Prowed and Prejudice"

2. Mr. P. Lumber's "It All Went Off In Bristol"

3. Nick Arsenal Fan's "Fever Pitch"

 

Definitely 1. Jane Austen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, poland_exile said:

It's mildly amusing / confusing that so many people who hate the very idea of this book have actually gone out and bought it - guess what, a book featuring a guy wielding a baseball bat on the cover isn't going to give you tips on tickling. 

I would agree that it's definitely not a memorable read compared to a few in the genre (would say that Scally, Steaming In and Naughty are by far the best in a pretty mediocre and one-dimensional field), but it is exactly what it promises to be on the sleeve - an inside look at our mob. 

It shan't be remembered as a work of great literary merit, and let's be honest, the proof reader should be finished off with the pistol, but fair play to the author for making a couple of quid and putting his thoughts onto paper - if you don't like it, don't buy it! If ever he (or anyone else for that matter) were to write a follow-up, I'd certainly look forward to ordering a copy. 

Steaming In was one of the books I rated. But forgot.  A few years old now.  Maybe Among the Thugs was another.   

Edited by Isawjonshaw
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Isawjonshaw said:

Steaming In was one of the books I rated. But forgot.  A few years old now.  Maybe Among the Thugs was another.   

Came unstuck on the east end didn't they?.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/05/2020 at 23:58, YorkshireSection said:

Not just the 80's mate, we still have that same respect by the firms that matter to this day.

Not saying your wrong as I am not knowledgable enough on the subject, but can you define what respect means, the only signs of any kind of hoolaginism or firms I see these days is a load of middle aged gammon posturing behind the safety of a police cordon... is their still things that go on that are organised outside of the immediate vicinity of the stadium?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Isawjonshaw said:

Steaming In was one of the books I rated. But forgot.  A few years old now.  Maybe Among the Thugs was another.   

Great book Steaming In, and a good mention of City in there! 

I think the thing about that book (as well as Naughty, Scally, and as you mention Among The Thugs) is that it succeeds in capturing the spirit of an era and goes deeper than just parroting chest thumping war stories. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Quiz time. Is the following line: "for alarmingly large chunks of an average day, I am a moron" taken from:

1. Big Jane Austen's "Prowed and Prejudice"

2. Mr. P. Lumber's "It All Went Off In Bristol"

3. Nick Arsenal Fan's "Fever Pitch"

 

Without question, the biggest morons are the ones who do not like hooliganism, but have still purchased a book about hooliganism thereby enabling a self-confessed hooligan to trouser their money 🤣

Next up, OTIB user voices displeasure that the chocolate teapot he ordered has melted 😬

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

Without question, the biggest morons are the ones who do not like hooliganism, but have still purchased a book about hooliganism thereby enabling a self-confessed hooligan to trouser their money 🤣

Next up, OTIB user voices displeasure that the chocolate teapot he ordered has melted 😬

We should all educate ourselves on views we disagree with.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

We should all educate ourselves on views we disagree with.

Well, sure, but you can do that without giving over your money - definitely not the smartest thing some people have done. Really, hats off to the bloke for that :D 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Isawjonshaw said:

Arsenal?

yes fella along with many others like west ham when the pg tips chimps tea party was the pre match entertainment...…..

Edited by archie andrews

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, poland_exile said:

Without question, the biggest morons are the ones who do not like hooliganism, but have still purchased a book about hooliganism thereby enabling a self-confessed hooligan to trouser their money 🤣

Next up, OTIB user voices displeasure that the chocolate teapot he ordered has melted 😬

You are suggesting that I have bought this book? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the topic of thieving, I recall being in a service station in the late 80s travelling on CATs. It was a large City following, possibly Bradford away in the LC, the City fans in the services simply stripped the shelves the staff and security were powerless to do anything. After that time I remember service stations putting restrictions on the number of 'football' coaches allowed in at any time. City coaches were sometimes met by police at services as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

On the topic of thieving, I recall being in a service station in the late 80s travelling on CATs. It was a large City following, possibly Bradford away in the LC, the City fans in the services simply stripped the shelves the staff and security were powerless to do anything. After that time I remember service stations putting restrictions on the number of 'football' coaches allowed in at any time. City coaches were sometimes met by police at services as well.

If City, could it possibly have been KWBS? 

Edited by GasDestroyer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

On the topic of thieving, I recall being in a service station in the late 80s travelling on CATs. It was a large City following, possibly Bradford away in the LC, the City fans in the services simply stripped the shelves the staff and security were powerless to do anything. After that time I remember service stations putting restrictions on the number of 'football' coaches allowed in at any time. City coaches were sometimes met by police at services as well.

Happened in the early 70s as well hardly ever any police in service stations got stopped on M6 once half the shop thrown out coach window.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

If City, could it possibly have been KWBS? 

I remember someone on the Venture coach nicking half a pound of butter at the services, always makes me chuckle

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

I remember someone on the Venture coach nicking half a pound of butter at the services, always makes me chuckle

Not something you should spread around

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

On the topic of thieving, I recall being in a service station in the late 80s travelling on CATs. It was a large City following, possibly Bradford away in the LC, the City fans in the services simply stripped the shelves the staff and security were powerless to do anything. After that time I remember service stations putting restrictions on the number of 'football' coaches allowed in at any time. City coaches were sometimes met by police at services as well.

I was in the back of a gullivers luton van which pulled into heston services when i came out the truck had reversed close up to the doors where the entire contents of shop were chucked in the back before speeding off

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Galway Red said:

I remember someone on the Venture coach nicking half a pound of butter at the services, always makes me chuckle

That coach was a professional shop lifting business (allegedly)

Edited by GasDestroyer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/05/2020 at 23:36, BS4 on Tour... said:

They are very successful guys - eg Dougie Brimson served in the RAF for 18 years and has since won many awards for his film writing and Eddy is a successful actor and a stand up comedian. Dougie is also significantly older than you (assuming your date of birth is 1969) so may have followed England away before you did? You’ve also been privileged to have followed England in the ‘sanitised’ football experience era ... all that aside though, you say you haven’t seen them following England....so that means they didn’t? You identify, know, remember and log everyone who has followed England since you started doing so?

I think you are a very good poster and not wanting to get in to a argument but there books are poor and yes only being 50 but having been to Poland and turkey twice pre Euro 1996 I would not call that sanitised football on or off the field 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

I think you are a very good poster and not wanting to get in to a argument but there books are poor and yes only being 50 but having been to Poland and turkey twice pre Euro 1996 I would not call that sanitised football on or off the field 

Fair play, thanks for the response, I appreciate it, cheers Sticks ...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/05/2020 at 20:23, poland_exile said:

Without question, the biggest morons are the ones who do not like hooliganism, but have still purchased a book about hooliganism thereby enabling a self-confessed hooligan to trouser their money 🤣

Next up, OTIB user voices displeasure that the chocolate teapot he ordered has melted 😬

Just a tip don't believe everything your wife tells you. 😀 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair play, thanks for the response, I appreciate it, cheers Sticks ...

Not a problem mate but was interested to hear that they have done well for themselves 

like the old saying goes never judge a book by its colour 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/05/2020 at 12:27, GasDestroyer said:

If City, could it possibly have been KWBS? 

I think with the numbers who seemed to be involved it could have been a number of coaches. As I recall, later in the 80s/early 90s they stopped having unlimited 'football coaches' in the services at the same time. When I first started going away on coaches in the mid 80s there would often be 10+ coaches just from City in one service station.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/05/2020 at 12:50, Ciderhead433 said:

Happened in the early 70s as well hardly ever any police in service stations got stopped on M6 once half the shop thrown out coach window.

 

I'm too young to recall those days, didn't start my away adventures until the mid 80s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

Not a problem mate but was interested to hear that they have done well for themselves 

like the old saying goes never judge a book by its colour 

am a friend of Eddy's and can affirm he's an absolute diamond. An all-round good egg and brilliant comedian! I completely agree his football books are diabolical mind! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

I think with the numbers who seemed to be involved it could have been a number of coaches. As I recall, later in the 80s/early 90s they stopped having unlimited 'football coaches' in the services at the same time. When I first started going away on coaches in the mid 80s there would often be 10+ coaches just from City in one service station.

On good away games would be coaches from all the areas of Bristol plus a couple of the hardcore coaches that went to every away game.

Can ever remember Knowle West And Southmead sharing a coach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Redadare said:

And don’t forget Albania stick!

free cider for the working class😂

That was a interesting away game ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ciderhead433 said:

On good away games would be coaches from all the areas of Bristol plus a couple of the hardcore coaches that went to every away game.

Can ever remember Knowle West And Southmead sharing a coach

Really? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anybody think we are heading back to the old days? Society is clearly going to change following Covid - reports of high unemployment / recession - will football violence return as an escape from what’s going on in the country ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, daored said:

Does anybody think we are heading back to the old days? Society is clearly going to change following Covid - reports of high unemployment / recession - will football violence return as an escape from what’s going on in the country ? 

No. Far too many cameras now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...