IGNORED

What would you do...

spudski

....if you were a Championship player playing for us, knowing that if we had a chance of going up, you wouldn't get a look in if we went up?

Make sure we finish safely inside the top half, but not in the play offs...or try and go for it regardless?

You live comfortably near or in  Bristol, have a good contract and you like playing for a team in the Championship, with good owner, nice manager and nice fans.

Why would you put all that in jeopardy if we had a chance of going up, being sold or not playing first team football?

A certain Mr Mcindoe implied this in one of his posts this season.

It's worth thinking about. Why screw a nice settled job up, if you've done just enough to impress and do well...but not well enough to go up?

As a Pro footballer...think about it ;-)

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

....if you were a Championship player playing for us, knowing that if we had a chance of going up, you wouldn't get a look in if we went up?

Make sure we finish safely inside the top half, but not in the play offs...or try and go for it regardless?

You live comfortably near or in  Bristol, have a good contract and you like playing for a team in the Championship, with good owner, nice manager and nice fans.

Why would you put all that in jeopardy if we had a chance of going up, being sold or not playing first team football?

It's worth thinking about. Why screw a nice settled job up, if you've done just enough to impress and do well...but not well enough to go up?

I dont think it is worth thinking about.  I dont think it happens at all.  Most players will be onto a payrise if they go up and a lot will back themselves to get in the team.

Footballers generally have a lot of self belief.  

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

Good question..........hadn't considered that there could be that kind of mindset within the squad.

Lets face facts - if City get up thru the pray offs, how many of this current squad are of PL quality? 

I'd guess two or three and that would mean a significant in and out of players at AG over the summer  Clearly the current players are aware of that. 

9 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I dont think it is worth thinking about.  I dont think it happens at all.  Most players will be onto a payrise if they go up and a lot will back themselves to get in the team.

Talking to Agents, they've also mentioned it to me that certain players they had on their books, didn't want to push too much, as they knew their limit and were happy where they were. It annoys agents as they don't get the continual signing on fee bonus.

Trust me fella...it happens. Not everyone...but it happens.

I'm not saying it's happening with our lot...but there is a lot to think about as a Professional. If you can get financial security at a place you like and don't have to keep moving, then some players want that. regardless of getting to the Prem.

As it stands City are in the top 7 and last 5 games are 8th in form...it doesn't feel like that, but we are still doing ok.

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

Talking to Agents, they've also mentioned it to me that certain players they had on their books, didn't want to push too much, as they knew their limit and were happy where they were. It annoys agents as they don't get the continual signing on fee bonus.

Trust me fella...it happens. Not everyone...but it happens.

I'm not saying it's happening with our lot...but there is a lot to think about as a Professional. If you can get financial security at a place you like and don't have to keep moving, then some players want that. regardless of getting to the Prem.

As it stands City are in the top 7 and last 5 games are 8th in form...it doesn't feel like that, but we are still doing ok.

Is that pushing too hard to win games or not pushing for transfers?

How are Cardiff different, then?

I doubt they have any more Prem quality players than us (that they have ones better at getting points at Championship level is now unarguable).

Why aren’t they doing this?

My view is because we aren’t doing so either, we simply aren’t quite good enough.

5 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Is that pushing too hard to win games or not pushing for transfers?

The players were happy to do just enough at the Club to get picked and earn a new contract.

They often became 'matey' with the manager, didn't make waves, went along with anything that was said, played to instruction and generally became a good all rounded egg at the club.

Others who wanted a move, did the opposite.

I've asked this a lot of some agents since first speaking about it, and it's something that really isn't spoken about, but it made for interesting listening and something I hadn't really thought about before. After listening, from a job perspective and not a fans, it makes sense.

Like I said in my OP...I didn't say it was happening here, but it does happen with some players.

Unfortunately after a result that upset a few, it will fall on deaf ears and be seen as rubbish or not to their liking.

Probably the wrong time to have posted it :laugh:

38 minutes ago, spudski said:

I usually enjoy reading some of the stuff you write, however this is completely out of order.

I would guess that every player has a promotion clause in his contract, a massive bonus as well as an improved weekly wage, if they don't then the agents need shooting.

If we accept your argument doesn't it also apply to ALL other players at every club involved in promotion  throughout the leagues?

If that is the case how come we see the drama and the blood sweat and tears we get in the play off games?

wouldn't at least one of the teams just let the other win?

Just now, Countryfile said:

I usually enjoy reading some of the stuff you write, however this is completely out of order.

I would guess that every player has a promotion clause in his contract, a massive bonus as well as an improved weekly wage, if they don't then the agents need shooting.

If we accept your argument doesn't it also apply to ALL other players at every club involved in promotion  throughout the leagues?

If that is the case how come we see the drama and the blood sweat and tears we get in the play off games?

It's yet another strawman argument to deflect attention from LJ and the coaching staff, there's been a few recently.

2 minutes ago, MigratedRobin said:

Surely most of the players will believe that they're good enough to be part of the squad next season if we're promoted?

More importantly for a squad to compete without spending silly money, I think 75% of the current first team squad would be retained.

None of the loan players would be retained and a couple of the current squad would go but I would see about 6 out including Kent, Woodrow and Diony and 7 or 8 better in.

50 minutes ago, spudski said:

One of the things that you would like to think we filter out in the "DNA" testing.

8 minutes ago, MigratedRobin said:

Surely most of the players will believe that they're good enough to be part of the squad next season if we're promoted?

Thats party what's behind Spudski opening  post.

Several of the current squad will know that they're not PL quality and will fear being let go. 

I'ii ask again - how many current players are PL quality?  Two, three maybe?

55 minutes ago, spudski said:

Surprised to see you indulging in conspiracy theory thinking Spud.

Having said that I have long argued that the culture of the club is too comfortable and I'm not sure that has changed.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Thats party what's behind Spudski opening  post.

Several of the current squad will know that they're not PL quality and will fear being let go. 

I'ii ask again - how many current players are PL quality?  Two, three maybe?

Are you for real 

:laughcont:

So even in your and the original posts dreamed up scenario

Lets suppose , say , Pack thinks this way 

He wouldn’t want the promotion bonus or wage rise would he

Oh no

And if he had to move from the club he’d just helped get promoted to the Prem - what future would he have

Confetence ?

League Two ?

I mean it’s not as if any  other Championship club would be interested in offering him a nice wage to join 

eh

:facepalm::facepalm:

7 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

My post was a question...not a fact that it is happening at our club. A scenario...something to consider, that according to some happens with SOME players, not all and at every club.

And as RR has added...who of our present team would play in the Prem if we went up? Who would be sold, moved on, loaned, have to up sticks with family etc,etc,etc.

Get another 3 year contract to play Championship football...or risk not playing, being sold to somewhere you don't really want to go to and having all the upheaval and uncertainty of that.

Fine if young and unmarried, and on a low wage.

But comfortably settled and on a decent wage...why rock the boat? Playing devils advocate a little...but it's a job, and I've seen it in other professional walks of life.

Either way...some fans aren't happy with today's result and this thread will get the brunt of it I see ;-)

18 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

I think swindon let Preston win once 

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

The players were happy to do just enough at the Club to get picked and earn a new contract.

They often became 'matey' with the manager, didn't make waves, went along with anything that was said, played to instruction and generally became a good all rounded egg at the club.

Others who wanted a move, did the opposite.

I've asked this a lot of some agents since first speaking about it, and it's something that really isn't spoken about, but it made for interesting listening and something I hadn't really thought about before. After listening, from a job perspective and not a fans, it makes sense.

Like I said in my OP...I didn't say it was happening here, but it does happen with some players.

Unfortunately after a result that upset a few, it will fall on deaf ears and be seen as rubbish or not to their liking.

Probably the wrong time to have posted it :laugh:

This is what you have a manager for, spud. Someone in charge, overseeing everything, weighing people up, and then making decisions. The "DNA" assessment/guesswork doesn't end with a player signing on the dotted line; it is ongoing, everyday, every training session, how do they respond to setbacks? to end of season pressure? to end of season on-the-beach games? How do they respond to anything and everything?

This is management. This is what Ferguson was brilliant at. Sussing players out.

If we did have players with the sort of attitude problem you suggest, it is the job of the head coach/manager to see it and weed them out. And then recruit the ones with the desirable mentality, the "winner" mentality.

So if we do have players that are coasting now, and they are in the starting X1 next August/September, then there's only one employee responsible. It always comes back to the one man in charge.

It's what he is paid for. And it is never acceptable for him to rock up in the boardroom and explain that our disappointing form/failure to reach the play-offs/failure to reach set targets/whatever, is because we have some players who were quite comfortable where they are, thanks very much.

I'd expect the board or owner to ask of such a coach: why have we recruited players like this?

56 minutes ago, RedDave said:

They have to or they would not be football players. All their lives they have to have a strength of focus. Suddenly not trying as hard is not part of the mind set. Hardly any player ever starts a game thinking I am putting in 60% today.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

My post was a question...not a fact that it is happening at our club. A scenario...something to consider, that according to some happens with SOME players, not all and at every club.

And as RR has added...who of our present team would play in the Prem if we went up? Who would be sold, moved on, loaned, have to up sticks with family etc,etc,etc.

Get another 3 year contract to play Championship football...or risk not playing, being sold to somewhere you don't really want to go to and having all the upheaval and uncertainty of that.

Fine if young and unmarried, and on a low wage.

But comfortably settled and on a decent wage...why rock the boat? Playing devils advocate a little...but it's a job, and I've seen it in other professional walks of life.

Either way...some fans aren't happy with today's result and this thread will get the brunt of it I see ;-)

Read your post again...it's nothing more than stirring.

if you believe it to be true then why not have the balls to name players you think have this attitude at AG?

If you don't believe any City players are like that then why make the post in the first place?

A poor post, and yours is, will attract criticism.

34 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

How are Cardiff different, then?

I doubt they have any more Prem quality players than us (that they have ones better at getting points at Championship level is now unarguable).

Why aren’t they doing this?

My view is because we aren’t doing so either, we simply aren’t quite good enough.

You summed it up in the last sentence. We aren’t quite good enough. Good enough to be a team in the top half of the league, which is an improvement on recent seasons, but not quite good enough for the top six. (Hope I’m proven wrong on the last bit) 

Archived