IGNORED

Any realist out there?

RedNight

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I’ll have to be in the minority then.  I don’t think 2018 has been a major disappointment, I think it was predictable and I think we’ve done well to still be in the running.  Did you really think we could outrun Wolves, Villa or Fulham with our squad size and our injuries?  Joint 5th or not, we are in with a great shout of the play-offs with seven to play.  That’ll do me.

Not outrun Wolves but beat a team down to 10 men or even draw with 3 mins left when we had the ball in our penalty area? 

I also think most posters must admit the results (and often the displays) at Derby, Bolton, Barnsley, Leeds, Sunderland were at the very least disappointing.

Yes we have had injuries but we still have many established squad players who are not picked despite being hired /bought (and many of our rivals have injuries also anyway - that's the Championship).

I don't think anyone who saw us riding high and beating Palace, Stoke and Man Utd (let alone witnessed us drawing with Villa at home and beating Derby so comfortably) would have said our results since Jan were predictable.

Everyone is simply putting a brave face on it and I really admire them for it I just can't share it. Hooray joint 5th [7th]

I think if we fail to make the playoffs then it’s been an indifferent season in my eyes. Great that we’ve improved our league position and great that in the first half of the season we showed some exciting football however since Christmas all the concerns I had have come flooding back in fact I feel worse about it now as we’ve lost our identity, fallen away dramatically and the management have not been able to do anything about it.  I’ll put a big part of this down to injury and give LJ the benefit of the doubt but Im hoping, now we are almost at full strength for much better in the final games.  We’ve come a long way as a club but ask me again in May how far LJ and his coaches has come as part of this.

12 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I am starting to get more and more annoyed by all this "joint fifth" nonsense that every other optimist keeps posting about.

No we aren't - we are 7th and would need to have scored 6 more to be joint fifth.

We won't be in the playoffs finishing joint 5th - most posters realise 2018 has been a major disappointment (not compared to last season) but compared to September to December ie what we can achieve when we play to our potential.

I’m one who’s used that joint 5th phrase.  I know fully well that 7th is where we are and that goal difference may come into it come May 6th.  I think most of us are using that to say we are still in the hunt, not using it to say we are 5th.

5 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I’ll have to be in the minority then.  I don’t think 2018 has been a major disappointment, I think it was predictable and I think we’ve done well to still be in the running.  Did you really think we could outrun Wolves, Villa or Fulham with our squad size and our injuries?  Joint 5th or not, we are in with a great shout of the play-offs with seven to play.  That’ll do me.

...and all those rose-tinted specs wearers saying Cardiff were bound to fall away...mainly because they dislike them and their manager.

Just now, South-of-river said:

So why not invest in January to keep up with those teams? 

Because we couldn’t afford to compete, both in FFP terms or at risk of history repeating itself with an over-aged, money draining group of players.  The players to make a difference would be unlikely (very unlikely) to choose City over our competitors.  Anyone who thinks Grabban, Jerome, Madine, Mitrovic, Afobe would come here over Villa, Derby, Cardiff, Fulham and Wolves respectively on either the basis of 1) profile of club and / or 2) wages is playing Football Manager!!!

10 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

It’s not a truth , it’s your opinion which is fine but it’s still not fact and of course we are on the rise, we were facing relegation last season, finishing 7th or wherever, we will have risen. 

Yes you can compare it to before Christmas and we have fallen away but that’s about it.

Whatever happens this season is a massive improvement from last season when we were only 3 points from relegation, shame about the drop in form but that's football, it's very rarely straight forward progress. 

Just now, Dullmoan Tone said:

Not outrun Wolves but beat a team down to 10 men or even draw with 3 mins left when we had the ball in our penalty area?

We also had 10 men 

I also think most posters must admit the results (and often the displays) at Derby, Bolton, Barnsley, Leeds, Sunderland were at the very least disappointing.

Every single club in the Championship has had some disappointing results, as well as some great ones. Like you pointed out below, that's the Championship.

Yes we have had injuries but we still have many established squad players who are not picked despite being hired /bought (and many of our rivals have injuries also anyway - that's the Championship).

I mean, if you really don't see how we have been unlucky in terms of injuries this season up to most, then there's no reasoning with you because you've got a clear agenda.

I don't think anyone who saw us riding high and beating Palace, Stoke and Man Utd (let alone witnessed us drawing with Villa at home and beating Derby so comfortably) would have said our results since Jan were predictable.

Fair comment

Everyone is simply putting a brave face on it and I really admire them for it I just can't share it. Hooray joint 5th [7th]

I think it's more of a case that we are able to see the bigger picture and the transformation that the club's achieved in the last 12 months. We have a manager who just 6 months ago everybody was gushing over & saying SL did wonders for sticking by his man and now the fickle fans are back in numbers moaning & calling for his head.

Every manager has bad spells, as do teams and players. It's football, enjoy the ride and the huge progress we've made and get behind the team/manager for the final push.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m one who’s used that joint 5th phrase.  I know fully well that 7th is where we are and that goal difference may come into it come May 6th.  I think most of us are using that to say we are still in the hunt, not using it to say we are 5th.

...and all those rose-tinted specs wearers saying Cardiff were bound to fall away...mainly because they dislike them and their manager.

Because we couldn’t afford to compete, both in FFP terms or at risk of history repeating itself with an over-aged, money draining group of players.  The players to make a difference would be unlikely (very unlikely) to choose City over our competitors.  Anyone who thinks Grabban, Jerome, Madine, Mitrovic, Afobe would come here over Villa, Derby, Cardiff, Fulham and Wolves respectively on either the basis of 1) profile of club and / or 2) wages is playing Football Manager!!!

We didn’t compete in the window because it’s not part of the clubs long term philosophy.  SL, the board and MA have set us down the path of baby steps towards promotion and this won’t be deviated from regardless of league position so get ready for a few more years at least of uninspiring January  transfer windows.  There was no chance of us competing this window.  One for the future and a couple of low risk (in terms of long term wages) loan signings was all we got. I don’t agree with this strategy as I firmly believe no plans should be set in stone and you need to grab opportunities when presented with them but as I said before, at least the club has a clear plan for once.

56 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

We really should have been able to retain the high position we achieved earlier on this season and looking at our form this year, it seems we are regressing rather than moving forward. 

What makes you think we SHOULD of been able to retain our high position?

The championship is so competitive. Nothing's garuanteed. 

This is our first season, since getting promoted from League 1 that were not fighting relegation. Instead fighting for play offs. 

Saying that's not progression? 

I wouldn’t say expectations changed, I expected us to be at the high end of mid table. Even at Christmas I never expected us to maintain the form we were in, I’d only ask that we’d have high end mid table form the rest of the season which would see us into the play offs after our great start. We haven’t managed that and is the reason that although overall we will have had a good season the form of the second half has been below what I thought it would be at the start of the season

38 minutes ago, South-of-river said:

Granted.. But it's the manager who has to take responsibility. Sooner people see this the better.

Absolutely right. Johnson should take responsibility for taking us from a relegation beckoned team, to one fighting for play offs.

LJ doing a superb job. 

Not forgetting he masterminded a win against Man U and gave Man City two tough games 

39 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

The truth hurts and some people need to wake up and smell the coffee instead of living in some fluffy rose tinted world.

We have cocked up this season and AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME we are not improving but are actually getting worse compared to earlier on this season. 

In the next few games we may well improve and get a play off spot but until then I will not pretend that we are a club on the rise coz we ain't.

Some people are so obsessed with Bristol City that they can't bear to hear any criticism. 

You're so thick 

I think if we are in this position and had lost one game in three or had more draws  and our results were up and down all season,everybody would be pretty happy.For many people our decline since Christmas,and the fact that it doesn't seem to be improving is a big concern.If we do make the play offs I can't realistically see us winning them and like many I am struggling to see us getting the kind of start next season that we had this season.

1 hour ago, RedNight said:

Absolutely right. Johnson should take responsibility for taking us from a relegation beckoned team, to one fighting for play offs.

LJ doing a superb job. 

Not forgetting he masterminded a win against Man U and gave Man City two tough games 

Yea and what an anticlimax that was.

8 minutes ago, General Zod said:

We didn’t compete in the window because it’s not part of the clubs long term philosophy.  SL, the board and MA have set us down the path of baby steps towards promotion and this won’t be deviated from regardless of league position so get ready for a few more years at least of uninspiring January  transfer windows.  There was no chance of us competing this window.  One for the future and a couple of low risk (in terms of long term wages) loan signings was all we got. I don’t agree with this strategy as I firmly believe no plans should be set in stone and you need to grab opportunities when presented with them but as I said before, at least the club has a clear plan for once.

I agree that strategies need tactical changes, and even rewrites of the strategy on occasion - I just don’t think we could’ve done anything to guarantee top 2.  Throwing money at it would not guarantee it.  We probably could’ve spent more in the view that it would guarantee top 6.  I think at Xmas we thought top 6 was a formality.  It’s proved not to be.

We are progressing. 

New stadium built. Highest average attendances for god knows how long. Best position we’ve been in for 10 years on the pitch. Best position we’ve been in off it. 

Yes we’ve fallen away as such. But considering the starting XI bar 3 players (Baker, Pisano and Diedhiou) went on a record losing run and narrowly avoided relegation about 12 months ago to being just outside the play offs shows great management skills to reinstall belief into them. It’s huge signs of progression.

If we can attract the right type of players I’m certain we can go one further next year and challenge for the autos. 

56 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I am starting to get more and more annoyed by all this "joint fifth" nonsense that every other optimist keeps posting about.

No we aren't - we are 7th and would need to have scored 6 more to be joint fifth.

Or just conceded one less goal at home to, bottom of the table (at the time), Sunderland!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I’m delighted to be in a position where playoffs are in our hands.

I think the club is moving forward as a professional off the pitch team - minus the PR disaster re season tickets.

We are in the best position since 2007/8, and probably better in that we can take it to the next level....whether we do us another matter.

I do worry that this bunch of players may have peaked together....unfounded, next season will tell us if we don’t go up.

I’m pretty realistic that we are "punching’ against:

• bigger clubs - Wolves, Villa, Derby, Sheffield Wednesday, Boro, Sunderland
  • teams with premier league history / parachute payments at some point - Cardiff, Fulham, Leeds, Reading (not bigger though)
  • others who’d argue they’re bigger - Sheffield Utd, Norwich, Forest

I could probably go on.  So 7th (joint 5th on points), is a fine effort.

Will be tinged with disappointment though, if we finish 7th or below.

I agree with all of this, except that I won't be disappointed so long as we finish in the Top Ten. That would be a huge improvement on last season and a sign of progress. 

BUT - don't forget that that if we beat Brentford tomorrow, we are still in the race for one of the two remaining play off places - that is, assuming Villa and Fulham are already there (likely, but not certain yet). 

Obviously the fact that Boro and Derby lost on Friday is helpful, so it is looking like a battle for those two remaining play off places between City, Boro, Derby, Sheff U, Preston and Millwall.

At this stage of the season I think it all depends on the result tomorrow. Win and we are still in the race for the play offs, draw - maybe, lose - forget it. 

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I agree that strategies need tactical changes, and even rewrites of the strategy on occasion - I just don’t think we could’ve done anything to guarantee top 2.  Throwing money at it would not guarantee it.  We probably could’ve spent more in the view that it would guarantee top 6.  I think at Xmas we thought top 6 was a formality.  It’s proved not to be.

I think we were in a really good position to make it a two horse race with Cardiff for second and at the very least insure a top 6 finish.  I find our approach to January very frustrating but that’s the direction the club has chosen.  If I was a billionaire I’d do different but I’m not (life sucks) so it’s up to SL how he plays it and like I’ve said, at least the club has a plan even if I find it frustrating at times.  I do wonder if LJ had an experienced coach/director of football to bounce things off of things may have been different and our points tally higher at this stage but I don’t think LJ would have gone for that.  Maybe when his old man is up for it :)

3 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

In which case you either can't read or choose to only read the negative posts on this forum.

The more I read your OP the more bonkers it seems but then again it's April 1st.

and if I was to write a post to generate lots of likes I could not have done better.

I think it has been a good season so far...some brilliant games that will live long in the memory- predominantly in the Cup, but some in the League too. It could yet become even better- still all to play for in terms of the playoffs. The injuries, medium to long term, to first team, first reserve and indeed squad players were desperately unlucky as a whole- Sheffield Wednesday are the only playoff contender who have been worse than us (tbh, they probably have had worse- by some way).

The other excellent thing to point out is our relatively healthy FFP position, our good squad age profile- take a look at Villa particularly, then Derby, then Cardiff and then Villa. Better place than them all moving forward in terms of age profile, particularly the first 2. Plus, worth noting that people bemoan lack of depth... I would suggest if I was as bad as all that, we'd have dropped off to 10th, 12th something like that between about December and Burton away. So it's reasonable IMO. Not amazing... but reasonable.

Now for the less positive points. The ticket issues. Disappointing to see, but hopefully this sorts itself out over time.

On the pitch? A lack of nous at certain times- would suggest bare minimum Villa away not in the result but the way we went for it helped contribute to the margin. Norwich at home... Point would have steadied ship, Bolton away a point would keep it ticking over. Sunderland at home? There are no words. I make that 4 points bare minimum.. The other issue I have is twofold. Firstly the change in shape to help accommodate Diedhiou when our most cohesive football IMO was Reid behind Paterson- particularly noticeable away from home.

The second problem I have is the unwillingness or the inability of the management to recognise that for example Kent and to some degree Walsh CAN bring something different, something fresh, and perhaps to tweak shape accordingly. Like I said on another thread, Kent isn't necessarily an out and out winger. I also said elsewhere Walsh can play as attacking midfielder... If Paterson lacks confidence, Walsh behind Reid maybe. Tweak shape to get best out of people...LJ is well in credit, but I do think he is reluctant to mix it up. Good and bad points to that, but away at Barnsley...we could have setup or tweaked a lot better IMO. 

In short, tailoring approach to opposition... Can be a sign of good management IMO. It's a balancing act, however he's a bit lacking in this regard tbh.

PS- Don't get how @Davefevs puts Leeds in same category as Fulham, Cardiff, Reading- Leeds a bigger club than them by far IMO.

10 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Inexperienced manager making the wrong calls 

He really had a rubbish transfer window, probably ltd by the money man. We didn't and still don't have enough exp replacements to cover injuries/suspensions, that's why we are not above Cardiff (which is where we easily should be); All down to management which ever way you look at it....., the players don't bring themselves here.

10 hours ago, South-of-river said:

Granted.. But it's the manager who has to take responsibility. Sooner people see this the better.

If he has to take responsibility for the poor run then he is also responsible for the good run that took us to 2nd spot in the first place. And since the good bit quite clearly outweighs the bad bit (7th spot, 16 wins v 9 defeats) do you think this comment is a fair assessment of our manager’s performance this season? Or do you think it shows obvious bias against him without a fair and balanced assessment of our overall progress?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Archived