IGNORED

AdamB/Beanhead made redundant

CyderInACan

I think the criticism aimed at SL is a little unfair. I like to think he is quite a genuine person and is trying to do his best for sport in football. In the past he has admitted he has made mistakes and would probably admit that he he was out of his depth running a football club. He has brought people in to run the club and advise him, however it’s my opinion that he’s been very badly advised. Whilst SL owns the club I feel those below him hold all the power and have taken him for a bit of a mug. 

35 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I think the criticism aimed at SL is a little unfair. I like to think he is quite a genuine person and is trying to do his best for sport in football. In the past he has admitted he has made mistakes and would probably admit that he he was out of his depth running a football club. He has brought people in to run the club and advise him, however it’s my opinion that he’s been very badly advised. Whilst SL owns the club I feel those below him hold all the power and have taken him for a bit of a mug. 

You are probably right, it is difficult to moan about a bloke who has put loads of money in.

I guess my Devil’s Advocate position is - would he have run HL in the same way?  Perhaps he didn’t need Mark Ashton, perhaps he needed Peter Hargreaves.

Just being a bit mischievous, but MA was a youth team (?) / apprentice (?) keeper at West Brom.  Is he the kid who wasn’t good enough to be a footballer, but was desperate to be around the world of football?

4 hours ago, Maggersno1Fan said:

Only big as there prepared to shaft the workers to stAy in bed with the companies 

unite a real union 

Off topic, but Unite are more than happy to work with bosses. 

Traditional unions are outdated now, and you'd be much better off seeking out small network groups that are building up. :)

Without wishing to get into the whole LK or MA argument I just wanted to add a quick reply to this thread. I know someone who’s had dealings with Adam and he’s told me that he went beyond what you’d normally expect from a Bristol City employee. It seems a crying shame that someone who has been so passionate about OUR club for seventeen odd years has been let go. I hope he moves onto pastures new and wish him all the best in securing a well paid job for him and his family.  

Football is a fickle horrible beast driven by greed, let’s not kid ourselves, we’re not a club with old fashioned values anymore. It’s a business and you and I are simply customers. They have us over the proverbial knowing full well we won’t walk away. Middle management will come and go and in doing so will bring in change that’s unpopular and quite frankly as evidenced by this sorry situation bereft of any sound reasoning. My only hope is that JL will see this thread and take a minute to consider the wider implications of such a decision.

The board and management were on a crest of a wave in January and they’ve managed to finish the season with us calling for the resignation of pretty much everyone from the top down, if that’s not evidence that they need to self evaluate then I don’t know what is! 

44 minutes ago, Beezey said:

Without wishing to get into the whole LK or MA argument I just wanted to add a quick reply to this thread. I know someone who’s had dealings with Adam and he’s told me that he went beyond what you’d normally expect from a Bristol City employee. It seems a crying shame that someone who has been so passionate about OUR club for seventeen odd years has been let go. I hope he moves onto pastures new and wish him all the best in securing a well paid job for him and his family.  

Football is a fickle horrible beast driven by greed, let’s not kid ourselves, we’re not a club with old fashioned values anymore. It’s a business and you and I are simply customers. They have us over the proverbial knowing full well we won’t walk away. Middle management will come and go and in doing so will bring in change that’s unpopular and quite frankly as evidenced by this sorry situation bereft of any sound reasoning. My only hope is that JL will see this thread and take a minute to consider the wider implications of such a decision.

The board and management were on a crest of a wave in January and they’ve managed to finish the season with us calling for the resignation of pretty much everyone from the top down, if that’s not evidence that they need to self evaluate then I don’t know what is! 

JL doesn’t give two ***** about fans. Proved as much by winding us up on twitter after the Cardiff home game St George flag fiasco. 

Jumped up little boy with a silver spoon up his ass. 

7 hours ago, Up The City! said:

As far as I know, Jon Lansdown is the head of the empire now. Every major commercial decision comes from Bristol Sport, of which JL is Chief Exec. 

7 hours ago, BITW said:

JL doesn’t give two ***** about fans. Proved as much by winding us up on twitter after the Cardiff home game St George flag fiasco. 

Jumped up little boy with a silver spoon up his ass

No wonder he's Jumped up

Perhaps we could all have a meeting, discuss some new ideas, some 'blue sky thinking' if you will, a 'fresh eyes/clean sheet' approach, a 'water cooler moment', to pick the easy options ('low hanging fruit') then reconvene for a 'lessons learned'.....

.....and then have a big group hug! No blame culture here.....

I appreciate that I am supposed to feel isolated from the club and it's decisions, and I feel sorry for Adam if his leaving is not a mutual decision, but over the last 50 odd years I don't really remember being asked my opinion on any of these sort of decisions.

Perhaps someone could tell me when those halcyon days when the club was run as a commune and we all got a vote, was?

I know I am being facetious but I don't get what has changed other than the people involved. 

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

wwI appreciate that I am supposed to feel isolated from the club and it's decisions, and I feel sorry for Adam if his leaving is not a mutual decision, but over the last 50 odd years I don't really remember being asked my opinion on any of these sort if decisions.

Perhaps someone could tell me when those halcyon days when the club was run as a commune and we all got a vote, was?

I know I am being facetious but I don't get what has changed other than the people involved. 

Well said. I too feel a bit sorry for Adam if he is leaving against his will - have met him a couple of times, he is a very decent guy and I wish him well. That said, I don't know what the reasoning is from a club point of view and therefore can't jump to a conclusion. What is different about all this is there seem to be a fairly small number (compared to the 20k that attend) who seem to think that the club owes them an explanation for internal issues. It really doesn't. Time for the needy uber fans to wind their necks in and live their lives, IMO.

11 hours ago, Calculus said:

Well said. I too feel a bit sorry for Adam if he is leaving against his will - have met him a couple of times, he is a very decent guy and I wish him well. That said, I don't know what the reasoning is from a club point of view and therefore can't jump to a conclusion. What is different about all this is there seem to be a fairly small number (compared to the 20k that attend) who seem to think that the club owes them an explanation for internal issues. It really doesn't. Time for the needy uber fans to wind their necks in and live their lives, IMO.

Isn’t the club made up of fans, no matter where they work? AB seems to have been summarily desposed of and that’s that. Something seems wrong to me. 

14 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I appreciate that I am supposed to feel isolated from the club and it's decisions, and I feel sorry for Adam if his leaving is not a mutual decision, but over the last 50 odd years I don't really remember being asked my opinion on any of these sort of decisions.

Who's asking to be asked? Are you making things up Port Said Red...

17 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

17 hours ago, Calculus said:

What are you guys on about - no one is asking for a consultation, or to run the club - they are just calling out how the club are treating it's employees and feel the atmosphere within the club is changing for the worse. I suppose you guys will never ever complain about anything in your lives from now on then, because whatever happens is just the way it is, you get no vote so should just accept it....  yeah we know that won't happen, hypocrites.

21 hours ago, Calculus said:

Nonsense, the issue for me is very reliable posters who are close to the club believe that this is more than someone being made redundant. There are supposedly higher powers at work and if that is true then its an outrage to dispose of someone who has put their heart and soul in to their club, all to replace them with a cleaner, less Bristolian, corporate model.

Surely it's not outrageous to say that if the supposed rumours about Knights and Ashton are true then Beanhead has been shafted and we've a right to be upset for him?

3 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Nonsense, the issue for me is very reliable posters who are close to the club believe that this is more than someone being made redundant. There are supposedly higher powers at work and if that is true then its an outrage to dispose of someone who has put their heart and soul in to their club, all to replace them with a cleaner, less Bristolian, corporate model.

Surely it's not outrageous to say that if the supposed rumours about Knights and Ashton are true then Beanhead has been shafted and we've a right to be upset for him?

Beanhead has been "shafted"? I thought it was ..... no, never mind .....

To me- and it's just a decision based on no inside knowledge, only what we see in public such as this decision.

Steve Lansdown- Good owner. Yes he's made mistakes but overall a force for good- agree with most of what he's done. As fans, he understood/got us as fans more than...

Jon Lansdown- Has clearly taken on a more significant role, a role with more influence as SL has taken more of a backseat (he is aging a bit, he has other interests, lives in Guernsey etc so it makes sense).  Doesn't get us, or the club and doesn't care to try either- his fingerprints are all over this decision tbh.

Just IMO of course.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

To me- and it's just a decision based on no inside knowledge, only what we see in public such as this decision.

Steve Lansdown- Good owner. Yes he's made mistakes but overall a force for good- agree with most of what he's done. As fans, he understood/got us as fans more than...

Jon Lansdown- Has clearly taken on a more significant role, a role with more influence as SL has taken more of a backseat (he is aging a bit, he has other interests, lives in Guernsey etc so it makes sense).  Doesn't get us, or the club and doesn't care to try either- his fingerprints are all over this decision tbh.

Just IMO of course.

Agreed. It frustrates me so much when people on here say "be careful what you wish for" re owners etc. I don't think there are many worse options out there than JL. 

8 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Agreed. It frustrates me so much when people on here say "be careful what you wish for" re owners etc. I don't think there are many worse options out there than JL. 

My worry is the beneficiaries of nepotism might seek to put their mark on things, for the sake of putting their mark on things. 

11 minutes ago, 29AR said:

he doesn't own the club

12 minutes ago, 29AR said:

I have no idea what Jon Lansdown would be like were he in complete control, but a quick look at the tales of woe from multiple league and dropped-out-the-league clubs tells me that, yes, there are likely to be many worse options as an owner.  A Jordanian Chelsea fan who has bugger all money, but does own a nice watch, to give just one example.

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I have no idea what Jon Lansdown would be like were he in complete control, but a quick look at the tales of woe from multiple league and dropped-out-the-league clubs tells me that, yes, there are likely to be many worse options as an owner.  A Jordanian Chelsea fan who has bugger all money, but does own a nice watch, to give just one example.

That's a good example actually. What have the Jordanians done wrong I would ask?: 
- They had no money, but I don't remember them spouting that line, rather the EP and Rovers fans
- They refinanced the club away from a terrible MSP loan;
- They have stopped fruitless, expensive litigation; 
- They have at least acquired some land; 
- The Football Club has consolidated its position and progress made in recent years League-wise whilst cleaning out that rubbish. 

Fair enough they appear to be running out of cash - yes they were under Higgs too (MSP loan). No change there then. The ownership structure has been changed and assets now appear to sit in an offshore entity...  ummm, Hello Bristol City?

For every sob story, there are tales of success too. As for clubs falling down and through the leagues, I tell you what we very nearly became one of those under SOD - we had blown our budgets (FFP, SCMP, so financially screwed in terms of improving playing staff). It's not like we are immune to that playing out - it nearly happened under and in spite of our current ownership.

My issue with JL is he has not demonstrated any capabilities really:

- AV stadium manager - big failure
- Further integration in to Bristol City strategically - big failure; he appears to take on the fan base where the opportunity arrises, probably buoyed by the self-assuredness one would get from being born with a silver spoon and being gifted every job you've been in by the boss.

9 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

he doesn't own the club

Hence "re owners etc." - and foreseeably one day, he will. 

1 minute ago, 29AR said:

That's a good example actually. What have the Jordanians done wrong I would ask?: 
- They had no money, but I don't remember them spouting that line, rather the EP and Rovers fans
- They refinanced the club away from a terrible MSP loan;
- They have stopped fruitless, expensive litigation; 
- They have at least acquired some land; 
- The Football Club has consolidated its position and progress made in recent years League-wise whilst cleaning out that rubbish. 

Fair enough they appear to be running out of cash - yes they were under Higgs too (MSP loan). No change there then. The ownership structure has been changed and assets now appear to sit in an offshore entity...  ummm, Hello Bristol City?

For every sob story, there are tales of success too. As for clubs falling down and through the leagues, I tell you what we very nearly became one of those under SOD - we had blown our budgets (FFP, SCMP, so financially screwed in terms of improving playing staff). It's not like we are immune to that playing out - it nearly happened under and in spite of our current ownership.

My issue with JL is he has not demonstrated any capabilities really:

- AV stadium manager - big failure
- Further integration in to Bristol City strategically - big failure; he appears to take on the fan base where the opportunity arrises, probably buoyed by the self-assuredness one would get from being born with a silver spoon and being gifted every job you've been in by the boss.

Hence "re owners etc." - and foreseeably one day, he will. 

I'd always rather have owners who are filthy rich and actual fans of the club, than poor and/or just seeing it as an investment opportunity.

Lots of successful clubs have been owned by family dynasties. I have no issue with that. How much JL is behind getting rid of Adam, I don't know and unless you're on the board, I suspect you won't know. From reading this thread, I was led to believe it was Mark Ashton's idea.

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'd always rather have owners who are filthy rich and actual fans of the club, than poor and/or just seeing it as an investment opportunity.

I have no issue with someone seeing us as an investment opportunity. In that case they clearly plan to build us up and make us more successful because that's how they'll realise a gain. For me, I'd rank the criteria needs as competence first and foremost, then finances and motivation

Lots of successful clubs have been owned by family dynasties. I have no issue with that. How much JL is behind getting rid of Adam, I don't know and unless you're on the board, I suspect you won't know. From reading this thread, I was led to believe it was Mark Ashton's idea.

You're right - I don't know, hence why I agreed to it 'seeming as though it had his fingerprints over it' and just mused my fear for him taking over. Direct knowledge is such a cop out anyway Robbo as it's never obtained. But we are all sensible, reasonable intelligent people who can infer how things are likely to have played out. Equally as you say, JL could be 'Simba' and Mark Ashton 'Scar' - had to watch Lion King yesterday :grr:

A key problem with Jon Lansdown.

In 2011, after we beat Hull and Steve Lansdown moved to Guernsey-  he stood down as Chairman.

By dint of that alone, Jon Lansdown took a more hands on role, surely. If we recall- and it was frankly an unenvious task for anyone given we were on a downward trajectory, managers getting hired and fired, players on long contracts. However we went in quick time from bottom half Championship and didn't just get relegated- not unexpected- but plummeted to the bottom of League One. His time with a greater influence during that period is far from filling me with confidence about his abilities.

34 minutes ago, 29AR said:

That's something I find particularly strange about his approach. That England flag thing (to name but one) he totally misjudged - got it horribly wrong.

I remember him posting that silly picture of him in England face paint (obviously designed to antagonise). Showed to me at the time that he assumed the S82 issue was a storm in a teacup and that it was being discussed by just a 'vocal minority'. In actual fact, it was pretty clear most City fans who were aware thought the club got it totally wrong.

There was no need to stoke the fire more.. and he did. Very odd.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A key problem with Jon Lansdown.

In 2011, after we beat Hull and Steve Lansdown moved to Guernsey-  he stood down as Chairman.

By dint of that alone, Jon Lansdown took a more hands on role, surely. If we recall- and it was frankly an unenvious task for anyone given we were on a downward trajectory, managers getting hired and fired, players on long contracts. However we went in quick time from bottom half Championship and didn't just get relegated- not unexpected- but plummeted to the bottom of League One. His time with a greater influence during that period is far from filling me with confidence about his abilities.

Colin Sextons watch

Archived