IGNORED

AdamB/Beanhead made redundant

CyderInACan

3 hours ago, B-Rizzle said:

Would they?

If I was miss quoted I would kick off. That is separate to any NDA.

To me, it smacks of- and maybe I'm wrong, a jointly prepared statement, NDA or not- cash, enforced by NDA or gagging order.

Legal implications of breaking it are not ideal.

Could also have been told to sign a one-way NDA as part of his settlement package- yes they certainly exist.

For me the most telling thing is that if Adam was happy at the way he left the club,he would have come on here and let his "superiors" off the hook with a statement saying it was his idea.The fact that he hasn't says to me that he has no interest in deflecting the heat from those above him.To me that tells its own story.All the best for the future Adam.

@JonDolman

If I was limited to what I could say but wanted to make it quite clear what had happened there is ONE phrase I would use in that situation as a nod and a wink.

FFS it’s even a cliche!  All  you need is quote marks around it and a big **** off neon sign pointing at it saying ‘geddit????!’

Jesus I do despair at times.

If you’re whooshing me then well done, if not :grr:

8 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Can someone fill in some blanks for me, maybe @Dollymarie ?

It’s always sad when a good person loses their job - maybe Adam walked, maybe he was pushed, we’ll likely never know, especially after his statement. I think we can read between the lines.

But regardless, if it’s a genuine part of restructuring, fair enough, that’s life, that’s business, BCFC isn’t a charity, right? 

So are people sad and angry because Adam, a lifelong City man, lost his job at the club? That a friend of theirs is no longer around and the club have made, on paper, the link between the club and fans further apart? 

Because the phrases like rotten to, or at, the core, something seriously stinks etc have been used. I’m genuinely interested to hear exactly what else has happened or is going on, to justify that phrase?

Because to me, rotten at the core, is things like companies owned by the Oyston family receiving a one off payment of £11m and £24m in interest free loans while the managers and players awaited promotion bonuses.

OK a good fan, who on the surface was good at his job, got sacked, that’s a shame. People disagree with that decision. But as far as I can see, the owners are still putting money into the club, stadium, training ground, youth, backing the manager. Not taking it out. If that is happening, or anything else along these underhand lines, then I’d be happy to believe the club is rotten at the core?

Brilliant post I would also be interested In this

I'll repeat what I've posted previously and had deleted by admins... Edit: having spoken to a Mod, I was told to remove names. That's all.

I've had it from a very good source at the Club (cannot name so don't ask...)

Adam was sacked/made redundant with immediate effect by SOMEONE under SOMEONE ELSE'S instructions.

Adam had no prior knowledge.

He was told one day and gone by close of business on the next.

SOMEONE will take over Adam's obligations.

4 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

I'll repeat what I've posted previously and had deleted by admins... Edit: having spoken to a Mod, I was told to remove names. That's all.

Adam was sacked/made redundant with immediate effect by SOMEONE under SOMEONE ELSE'S instructions.

SOMEONE will take the blame . 

Put simply, while it was a really shoddy way to treat someone, particularly a fan who gets the fans- who has provided good service and is good at their job.

It is common practice IMO these days, particularly in commercial organisations to pay up and tell someone their time is up same day even.

What I don't get is people's apparent surprise at this. Not a dig, but it is how companies of a commercial nature frequently work in 2018. It's not necessarily right, but it tends to work like this. 'The King is dead, long live the king'. 

23 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Put simply, while it was a really shoddy way to treat someone, particularly a fan who gets the fans- who has provided good service and is good at their job.

It is common practice IMO these days, particularly in commercial organisations to pay up and tell someone their time is up same day even.

What I don't get is people's apparent surprise at this. Not a dig, but it is how companies of a commercial nature frequently work in 2018. It's not necessarily right, but it tends to work like this. 'The King is dead, long live the king'. 

It works exactly like that, it’s almost as if a large percentage of OTIB have worked in the public sector all their lives Eliot’s being card carrying members of their unions.

Either that or they’ve been very lucky where they’ve worked.

2 minutes ago, RumRed said:

It works exactly like that, it’s almost as if a large percentage of OTIB have worked in the public sector all their lives.

Tbh it's possible it's a newer practice this rapid dismissal thing- maybe it was different in the past, couldn't say either way but it is how it goes in my experience for sure- maybe it wasn't so swift in the past, I don't know? Seems fairly new development, but then I'm only surmising on this.

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The same thing happened to two of my friends and work colleagues last week.  Yes, shit happens but it doesn't make it better and the rest of us less angry about the situation. It was purely down to finances - lower paid people will be replacing them. 

I'm not surprised that companies behave in this manner, because they are shysters.

1 minute ago, exAtyeoMax said:

The same thing happened to two of my friends and work colleagues last week.  Yes, shit happens but it doesn't make it better and the rest of us less angry about the situation. It was purely down to finances - lower paid people will be replacing them. 

I'm not surprised that companies behave in this manner, because they are shysters.

It's not great is it, to put it mildly.

It's not a great way to go about business, but it seems to have evolved that way and we're at that point.

47 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Peg.

just questioning the "sacked /made redundant’ comment.  Which one is it?

If sacked, suggests he’s either not doing his job properly (very unlikely) it he’s done something naughty!  No pay off.

If Redundant, then effectively his job is no more, he’ll get a pay-off and the aspects of his role will be morphed into other people’s responsibilities.

Regardless of the circumstances behind Adams departure it is a real shame we didn't get a chance to give him a good send off. Can someone in the singing section make a note to start a witty Baker chant in the first game of the season. 

Personally, I'm fed up of the constant negativity on this forum, but I'd have expected at least a quote from Lansdown and a montage of old interviews, tours, quizzes etc of Adam over the years. Poor form.

Media department, if you're reading put something together please.

43 minutes ago, Maldini said:

Regardless of the circumstances behind Adams departure it is a real shame we didn't get a chance to give him a good send off. Can someone in the singing section make a note to start a witty Baker chant in the first game of the season. 

Personally, I'm fed up of the constant negativity on this forum, but I'd have expected at least a quote from Lansdown and a montage of old interviews, tours, quizzes etc of Adam over the years. Poor form.

Media department, if you're reading put something together please.

Get rid of an employee then create a very public montage of their time with you? 

Kick a man when he's down..... 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Peg.

just questioning the "sacked /made redundant’ comment.  Which one is it?

If sacked, suggests he’s either not doing his job properly (very unlikely) it he’s done something naughty!  No pay off.

If Redundant, then effectively his job is no more, he’ll get a pay-off and the aspects of his role will be morphed into other people’s responsibilities.

I left it ambiguous as if I put 1 or the other, people would be down my neck faster than Tammy driving in his mate's new Merc and it would probably get removed by the mods.

Most can make their own minds up.

But what I will say - and this is purely in general - in business nowadays, if your face doesn't fit and you don't conform, don't be surprised if you end up paying the price...

11 minutes ago, ziderheadarmy said:

@Dollymarie Adam’s now thanking Lisa Knights on his personal twitter account. You sure you were correct or is Mark Ashton the bad apple? 

He don’t sound like a bloke whose just been given the boot? 

Your source right? 

If you were given the boot with a massive pay off, you would probably be saying decent stuff too? 

If I got laid off, and given a vast pay off I’ll say whatever the company wanted

1 minute ago, ziderheadarmy said:

I wouldn’t sell my soul and lie personally I have more self respect. 

That’s handy, but some people need the money, have wife, child, mortgages etc. 

Going home to a wife and saying “I been laid off but we got £100k now in the bank”

is better than going home to a wife and going 

“I got laid off today and they wanted me to lie about how it happened, I turned down the 100k, don’t worry the bailiffs won’t be round for a while”

1 minute ago, AshtonPark said:

That’s handy, but some people need the money, have wife, child, mortgages etc. 

Going home to a wife and saying “I been laid off but we got £100k now in the bank”

is better than going home to a wife and going 

“I got laid off today and they wanted me to lie about how it happened, I turned down the 100k, don’t worry the bailiffs won’t be round for a while”

How true. 

Family first. End of. For me at least. 

23 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

I left it ambiguous as if I put 1 or the other, people would be down my neck faster than Tammy driving in his mate's new Merc and it would probably get removed by the mods.

Most can make their own minds up.

But what I will say - and this is purely in general - in business nowadays, if your face doesn't fit and you don't conform, don't be surprised if you end up paying the price...

I'm guessing '.... Gate' and '.... of the round table' :ph34r::shutup: 

40 minutes ago, ziderheadarmy said:

@Dollymarie Adam’s now thanking Lisa Knights on his personal twitter account. You sure you were correct or is Mark Ashton the bad apple? 

He don’t sound like a bloke whose just been given the boot? 

Your source right? 

Just ******* drop it, make your own bloody mind up and don’t keep trying to goad people into statements they might regret.  It’s done, you believe what you want to.

13 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Get rid of an employee then create a very public montage of their time with you? 

Kick a man when he's down..... 

I take your point, but it depends on the circumstances of the departure. Even if there is bad blood it wouldn't be with every one of his colleagues it seems, see his Twitter post, and would maybe a nice gesture from those he has helped along the way that he name checks. 

Personally I've definitely left a job due to a disagreement with management (not saying there has been one here), but enjoyed my time there, made good friends with colleagues and been sad to go. I received a gift on my last day that has served as nice momento of the good times. Maybe I should have expanded on my original post, but do you see what I mean?

10 minutes ago, ziderheadarmy said:

Was only asking a question. If someone is 100% certain of something surely they can express why and explain.

Appears not. Not for the first time either. Power trip I guess. 

In certain situations no they can’t.  It is Adam who is important in this situation as well as personal posters knowledge and the website itself.  If you can’t make your mind up from this thread so far one way or the other that’s up to you.

I would suggest you stop pushing before people start thinking that you’re actually trying to get people into real trouble.

If you don’t understand what has been written there is a lovely statement on the OS that explains it all, RobboRed will be there to talk you through it.

Real life mate, get used to it.

9 minutes ago, ziderheadarmy said:

£100k ? You having a laugh.

He wouldn’t have been on that much wages wise city aren’t good payers. They can’t sack him unless he didn’t something wrong such as gross misconduct. 

If he has been made redundant he might get a golden handshake but it will be no where near that amount. 

No you can’t sack someone, but you can go.

”you can take us to a tribunal, you might get £x from us, and you will win, or you can take £x from us now and we all walk away”

£100k was just a figure. 

8 minutes ago, ziderheadarmy said:

Was only asking a question. If someone is 100% certain of something surely they can express why and explain.

Its reasonable for someone to question what they clearly know isn't the truth. It's also reasonable for them to point out that they can't go into precise details. 

I've been in a similar situation as I've known someone very close to an ex manager for example but never uttered a word about things I knew. Sure as hell I'd be happy to point out if someone said something I knew was wrong even if I couldn't elaborate. 

23 minutes ago, RumRed said:

******* hell I’ve never lived in Bristol and always defended my family’s home city but this thread is seriously testing me with regards to the level of naivety.

Why are you getting so worked up about it mate? All this indignation and conspiracy “I know something you don’t, or can’t see” chat is so tiresome. Someone got sacked, the official line is mutual consent. Standard. That’s the world, we all know it’s never that simple.

What I find amazing is how many people are suddenly coming to Adam’s defense knowing absolutely no details of the reason WHY he got made redundant. 

Are the club restructuring or slim-lining things?

Is the job morphing into a different role which they think someone else would be better or more suited to?

Do the club want more Women in front line positions?

Was Adam happy to take redundancy?

Was he doing the job to the standard expected?

I could go on and on. The point is no-one here knows the full picture - what we have is someone leaving a job, a statement, and people on OTIB saying the statement isn’t entirely true.

Well so what?? Surprised? No.

And what we get is 15 pages of people pissed off on behalf of someone they don’t know, whilst knowing no details and ironically after usually slagging him off for always “towing the company line”, never asking tough enough questions and conducting those “staged” interviews with Tomlin and Ashton.

Are people actually annoyed for Adam, or because they feel lied to, or because they just want another, any reason to stick it to the club. The club that couldn’t care less about history or it’s fans.

OTIB has made someone the majority weren’t even bothered about a martyr in the holy war against Lansdown and his nepotistic cronies.

10 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Why are you getting so worked up about it mate? All this indignation and conspiracy “I know something you don’t, or can’t see” chat is so tiresome. Someone got sacked, the official line is mutual consent. Standard. That’s the world, we all know it’s never that simple.

What I find amazing is how many people are suddenly coming to Adam’s defense knowing absolutely no details of the reason WHY he got made redundant. 

Is the job morphing into a different role which they think someone else would be better or more suited to?

I could go on and on. The point is no-one here knows the full picture - what we have is someone leaving a job, a statement, and people on OTIB saying the statement isn’t entirely true.

And what we get is 15 pages of people pissed off on behalf of someone they don’t know, whilst knowing no details and ironically after usually slagging him off for always “towing the company line”, never asking tough enough questions and conducting those “staged” interviews with Tomlin and Ashton.

Are people actually annoyed for Adam, or because they feel lied to, or because they just want another, any reason to stick it to the club. The club that couldn’t care less about history or it’s fans.

OTIB has made someone the majority weren’t even bothered about a martyr in the holy war against Lansdown and his nepotistic cronies.

But we do.

It just can't simply be put in the public domain as OTIB may become jeopardised. Then mods remove the post. Half of mine have been removed for this reason.

The clues are out there. I don't need to be Miss Marple to find them. Twitter bios and half of the posts on here will lead you in the right direction. Nothing categorically states the absolute truth because like I said, it would be removed.

54 minutes ago, hodge said:

I'm guessing '.... Gate' and '.... of the round table' :ph34r::shutup: 

Mendip Gate and Chairs of the Round Table are the right answer! :clapping:

17 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

But we do.

It just can't simply be put in the public domain as OTIB may become jeopardised. Then mods remove the post. Half of mine have been removed for this reason.

The clues are out there. I don't need to be Miss Marple to find them. Twitter bios and half of the posts on here will lead you in the right direction. Nothing categorically states the absolute truth because like I said, it would be removed.

Oh of course the clues are out there, that’s not what I’m saying. And yes the ITK’s have dropped some hints, but none seem to tell the whole truth and even those things they said.....like he was pushed by someone within the club because that person wants someone else to do the job...doesn’t exactly tell a full story, does it? Even filling in the blanks it’s still playground stuff.

Beyond those details there are other more important questions - Is that other person better suited to the role? Better qualified? Just better? What is the new role? Etc etc 

Or yes, SL and JL have allowed an employee to sack someone just so another someone can be closer to their office, or on their office desk, on a regular basis?

32 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Because everything suggests that decisions are being made more in line with BS than with BCFC and it’s supporters of many years.  

It also appears that there is a **** load of spin going on.

If that doesn’t concern you then start another thread with a BS spin on it and see if that gets to 15 pages  

Plus, this is yet another example of BS not providing credible answers to fans' legitimate concerns, and swerving away as far as possible from any sense of transparency and the need to carry fans along with them.  In short a disconnect between BS and City fans.  

2 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Because everything suggests that decisions are being made more in line with BS than with BCFC and it’s supporters of many years.  

It also appears that there is a **** load of spin going on.

If that doesn’t concern you then start another thread with a BS spin on it and see if that gets to 15 pages  

I'm not even going to get started with BS vs BCFC conspiracies mate - too late. Either way - i'm yet to see Bristol Sport negatively impact BCFC.

As for your comment about the supporters.....you've proved my exact point.

It's got nothing to do with Adam Baker (whose name you don't mention), it's got to do with you and your agenda/opinion of the club. 

Tell me exactly what was it Adam Baker did to improve your relationship as a supporter with the club?

And then tell me exactly how Adam Baker leaving means your relationship with the club will be negativity impacted?

Genuine question.

Because, hypothetically speaking, if Lisa Knight picks up some of Adam's communication's duties, surely someone with her greater experience in the football industry, BBC, Sky, ITV is potentially better suited to the role?

Or is it because she isn't a 'proper' fan?

21 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Oh of course the clues are out there, that’s not what I’m saying. And yes the ITK’s have dropped some hints, but none seem to tell the whole truth and even those things they said.....like he was pushed by someone within the club because that person wants someone else to do the job...doesn’t exactly tell a full story, does it? Even filling in the blanks it’s still playground stuff.

Beyond those details there are other more important questions - Is that other person better suited to the role? Better qualified? Just better? What is the new role? Etc etc 

Or yes, SL and JL have allowed an employee to sack someone just so another someone can be closer to their office, or on their office desk, on a regular basis?

So far the club statement has not actually stated that someone else will fill the role so a few questions:

1. Is the role vacant or defunct?

2. As a highly respected member of the backroom staff, by the fans and, it appears by the players been binned off due to the wage bill?

3. How does this effect relationships with core consumers of the BS product, especially off the back of several **** ups in fan relations in the last two years with the club?

4. Disengagement with FAN by the club, any relation to this?  

I have no answers as not in the know but most people would see this as yet another PR **** up by the club for someone who I’d expect was a modestly remunerated member of staff.

And btw @Alessandro sometimes perception and loyalty are more important to consumers than boardroom bollocks

8 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I'm not even going to get started with BS vs BCFC conspiracies mate - too late. Either way - i'm yet to see Bristol Sport negatively impact BCFC.

It's got nothing to do with Adam Baker (whose name you don't mention), it's got to do with you and your agenda/opinion of the club. 

Tell me exactly what was it Adam Baker did to improve your relationship as a supporter with the club?

And then tell me exactly how Adam Baker leaving means your relationship with the club will be negativity impacted?

Genuine question.

Because, hypothetically speaking, if Lisa Knight picks up some of Adam's communication's duties, surely someone with her greater experience in the football industry, BBC, Sky, ITV is potentially better suited to the role?

Tbf you have a point, I’m probably not cut out for modern football and should give it a break.

Would have been nice to actually enjoy the fruits of the prem for the soul we sold.

Hey ho enjoy the corporate bullshit and L1/Champ for the next generation.

I’d rather have had one or the other, this hybrid is not a model that works for some fans.

22 minutes ago, RumRed said:

So far the club statement has not actually stated that someone else will fill the role so a few questions:

1. Is the role vacant or defunct?

2. As a highly respected member of the backroom staff, by the fans and, it appears by the players been binned off due to the wage bill?

3. How does this effect relationships with core consumers of the BS product, especially off the back of several **** ups in fan relations in the last two years with the club?

4. Disengagement with FAN by the club, any relation to this?  

I have no answers as not in the know but most people would see this as yet another PR **** up by the club for someone who I’d expect was a modestly remunerated member of staff.

And btw @Alessandro sometimes perception and loyalty are more important to consumers than boardroom bollocks

15 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Tbf you have a point, I’m probably not cut out for modern football and should give it a break.

Would have been nice to actually enjoy the fruits of the prem for the soul we sold.

Hey ho enjoy the corporate bullshit and L1/Champ for the next generation.

I’d rather have had one or the other, this hybrid is not a model that works for some fans.

Firstly - as you've shown there are a whole host of questions none of us know - and to be honest, why do we have a right to know those details?

I don't think it's been a PR **** up at all. Someone got sacked. The club gave an official line. 

I personally don't think the club need to go into any more detail about the situation - but it comes down to each individual fan's opinion - are we fans or customers, members or clients?

There are those who hang desperately to the notion that they're more than a customer and the club owes them something more, many despite not even attending games or putting money into the club.

And those who take it or leave and accept they're customers not shareholders, along for the ride.

Either way a disconnect between clubs and fans is the sad way football has already gone at the top level, those fighting it are 10, 15 years too late and fighting a depressing, losing battle. 

Ironically, you mention corporate bullshit in L1/Champ - well the things BCFC are doing are more in line with the corporate world and way premier league clubs are run - so perhaps those so desperate for the promised land might also be careful what they wish for.

12 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Firstly - as you've shown there are a whole host of questions none of us know - and to be honest, why do we have a right to know those details?

I don't think it's been a PR **** up at all. Someone got sacked. The club gave an official line. 

I personally don't think the club need to go into any more detail about the situation - but it comes down to each individual fan's opinion - are we fans or customers, members or clients?

There are those who hang desperately to the notion that they're more than a customer and the club owes them something more, many despite not even attending games or putting money into the club.

And those who take it or leave and accept they're customers not shareholders, along for the ride.

Either way a disconnect between clubs and fans is the sad way football has already gone at the top level, those fighting it are 10, 15 years too late and fighting a depressing, losing battle. 

Ironically, you mention corporate bullshit in L1/Champ - well the things BCFC are doing are more in line with the way premier league clubs are run - so perhaps those so desperate for that might also be careful what they wish for.

That was my point!  We have the corporate bullshit without the prem.  The current model doesn’t work! 

L1 promotion season, ground shot due to renovations (Thanks SL, I mean that honestly btw) shedman, fighting for everything.  That is football that’s fun!

The bullshit combined with going out with even less than a whimper, and more worryingly no plan sucks.

Go corporate and get in the prem most will be happy.

Stay a ‘club’ and battle it out, most will be happy.

Go corporate and stay at, admittedly a high level, but still where we’ve been before,many will not be happy.

If you’re going to sell your soul at least do it for a decent ******* price.

25 minutes ago, RumRed said:

That was my point!  We have the corporate bullshit without the prem.  The current model doesn’t work! 

L1 promotion season, ground shot due to renovations (Thanks SL, I mean that honestly btw) shedman, fighting for everything.  That is football that’s fun!

The bullshit combined with going out with even less than a whimper, and more worryingly no plan sucks.

Go corporate and stay at, admittedly a high level, but still where we’ve been before,many will not be happy.

I think this is the point.  The whole BS five pillars approach simply isn't working for City if the target is The Prem and then Europe, as we have been told.  Frankly, I think the approach is fundamentally flawed and is unlikely to work.  All this assumes that BSwants promotion, something I am also not 100% convinced of. 

The final position we are told is for BCFC to be self financing.  I am sorry but I can't see that as realistic at all.

one important aspect lacking is the failure to set any sort of realistic timescale for any of this to happen, allowing LJ to spout nonsense when he arrived about European football.  He didn't even get the number of windows he needed right.

it all reeks of an amateur approach at all levels of the club.

What does The Board of BCFC have to say about all this? Apparently nothing. And nothing says it all really.

3 hours ago, ziderheadarmy said:

£100k ? You having a laugh.

He wouldn’t have been on that much wages wise city aren’t good payers. They can’t sack him unless he didn’t something wrong such as gross misconduct. 

If he has been made redundant he might get a golden handshake but it will be no where near that amount. 

Depends on his salary, redundancy ratio and yeah some extra for going with the club narrative...

My hypothetical guesswork figure was 50k factoring it all in.

50k or 100k? The point still stands, still rings true.

3 hours ago, Maldini said:

I take your point, but it depends on the circumstances of the departure. Even if there is bad blood it wouldn't be with every one of his colleagues it seems, see his Twitter post, and would maybe a nice gesture from those he has helped along the way that he name checks. 

Personally I've definitely left a job due to a disagreement with management (not saying there has been one here), but enjoyed my time there, made good friends with colleagues and been sad to go. I received a gift on my last day that has served as nice momento of the good times. Maybe I should have expanded on my original post, but do you see what I mean?

All cases are different- even within companies. 

Some can stick around for a time. More commercial type roles? Can see someone leave there and then tbh.

Remaining friends with individuals on and post departures quite plausible, again case by case. Some like clean breaks OTOH.

In short, definitely no one size fits all...be it between comparing different companies, comparison of employees within the same company. Can even come down to something such as value to the business as to how long the individual is allowed to stick around through notice periods.

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

I think this is the point.  The whole BS five pillars approach simply isn't working for City if the target is The Prem and then Europe, as we have been told.  Frankly, I think the approach is fundamentally flawed and is unlikely to work.  All this assumes that BSwants promotion, something I am also not 100% convinced of. 

The final position we are told is for BCFC to be self financing.  I am sorry but I can't see that as realistic at all.

one important aspect lacking is the failure to set any sort of realistic timescale for any of this to happen, allowing LJ to spout nonsense when he arrived about European football.  He didn't even get the number of windows he needed right.

it all reeks of an amateur approach at all levels of the club.

What does The Board of BCFC have to say about all this? Apparently nothing. And nothing says it all really.

I think the 5 pillars has merit but key to it will be holding onto key players at all costs, building steadily, our young and mid range players developing... plus of course LJ developing quicker, particularly in the areas of tactics and game management.

As for self-financing? If we're in the PL we should make a profit after a couple of seasons...OR if we go back to League One, develop young players selling on some and show limited ambition then maybe.

This level though? Pipe dream, no way- question of just limiting the losses I feel- which of course would mean a few million per year.

7 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Genuine question.

You continue to talk the most sense on this thread. Adam I have no doubt was a nice guy but bar watching the occasional video of him reading out the line ups on Twitter I am not overly aware of other aspects of his role. 

8 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Ironically, you mention corporate bullshit in L1/Champ - well the things BCFC are doing are more in line with the corporate world and way premier league clubs are run - so perhaps those so desperate for the promised land might also be careful what they wish for.

In which case its no surprise if people call the board out for what they are and voice dissatisfaction. 

Virtually everyone has said it will make no difference*, but it's the same with bad governments isn't it? And you wouldn't want the people to take it on the chin and stay quiet. 

*albeit children and the disabled aren't being fleeced for quite so much in the corporate stand next year after the noise created here. That's a point to the forum. The BS groupies (for want of a much better name) would be sat here still explaining why children had to pay twice as much otherwise. 

10 hours ago, ziderheadarmy said:

stop being a nob

9 hours ago, RumRed said:

Not sure we've sold our soul quite yet - Hull 'Tigers', Cardiff City 'Reds'.....unfortunately I feel like it's a deal you make with the devil in order to one day get where you want to be. Little instant success. 9 times out of 10 it's the means to an end. But as I say, is it worth it? Swansea, Sunderland?

Would I ideally like BCFC to be a premier league club, half owned by the fans, regular liaison meetings, managed by an old player, with a kit man of 30 years who also drives the bus and does the scouting and a tea lady of 45 years who also cleans the boots and runs the youth team. But it's a fairy tale where 70% of premier league and an ever increasing number of Championship clubs are owned by foreign owners.

49 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

In which case its no surprise if people call the board out for what they are and voice dissatisfaction. 

Virtually everyone has said it will make no difference*, but it's the same with bad governments isn't it? And you wouldn't want the people to take it on the chin and stay quiet. 

*albeit children and the disabled aren't being fleeced for quite so much in the corporate stand next year after the noise created here. That's a point to the forum. The BS groupies (for want of a much better name) would be sat here still explaining why children had to pay twice as much otherwise. 

I'm not saying sit back and take it on the chin - but pick your battles. Season tickets yes, safe standing yes, section 82 yes, away travel, etc etc absolutely. 

But comparing football to governments, come off it matey. 

With politics, real life's matter and are at stake. This if football we are talking about - at least with a government you get a vote, and to think football is a democracy? It's not, nor will it ever be. The most power you have is to vote with your feet - if you're that pissed off, don't renew. 

Personally when I use my energy voicing dissatisfaction about things in this world, it's on something far more important than BCFC, but that's me!

11 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Not sure we've sold our soul quite yet - Hull 'Tigers', Cardiff City 'Reds'.....unfortunately I feel like it's a deal you make with the devil in order to one day get where you want to be. Little instant success. 9 times out of 10 it's the means to an end. But as I say, is it worth it? Swansea, Sunderland?

Would I ideally like BCFC to be a premier league club, half owned by the fans, regular liaison meetings, managed by an old player, with a kit man of 30 years who also drives the bus and does the scouting and a tea lady of 45 years who also cleans the boots and runs the youth team. But it's a fairy tale where 70% of premier league and an ever increasing number of Championship clubs are owned by foreign owners.

I'm not saying sit back and take it on the chin - but pick your battles. Season tickets yes, safe standing yes, section 82 yes, away travel, etc etc absolutely. 

But comparing football to governments, come off it matey. 

With politics, real life's matter and are at stake. This if football we are talking about - at least with a government you get a vote, and to think football is a democracy? It's not, nor will it ever be. The most power you have is to vote with your feet - if you're that pissed off, don't renew. 

Personally when I use my energy voicing dissatisfaction about things in this world, it's on something far more important than BCFC, but that's me!

I'm not suggesting governments and football have anything like the same standing but the idea of fighting for what you think is right still applies. 

A small point. I mentioned governments, not votes or democracies. 

7 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

I'm not suggesting governments and football have anything like the same standing but the idea of fighting for what you think is right still applies. 

A small point. I mentioned governments, not votes or democracies. 

Absolutely - but I’m not sure people know what they’re actually fighting for on this Adam Baker subject. 

And yes, you didn’t, but a fair to talk about democracy when you talk about governments (on the whole!) - especially when so many act as if the club is answerable to them personally, on every internal matter.   

11 hours ago, RumRed said:

@Alessandro

Can't comment on Sunderland, but Swansea were partially fan owned for a time. Until they sold out to Americans, they were the closest in the PL era to a rise without big money and all that- a distinct way of playing, hiring managers who fit it.Changed when they sacked Laudrup on the playing side IMO, and when they sold large chunks of their state to American investors in 2016 on the running of the club side.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2012/apr/10/swansea-city-supporters-trust

As for us, definitely the club has changed and is still changing fast. It isn't great, but seems the way the game in top 2 divisions is heading. The corporate facilities etc? We need them, simply to compete.

12 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Don’t forget mind that SCAT have a fund to help anyone who’s unable to afford the new kids ticket prices make up the balance. I’ve donated to this this as have countless others as fans owe it to fans to help each other out now and again. For me this proves beyond doubt that City’s fans are some of the best around. 

On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 12:48, Dollymarie said:

I’ve said all I am willing to say. Thanks. 

One thing is it the club or Bristol Sport or both you are referring to. Heard people in the community trust are less than impressed by interference from Bristol sport setting them targets they dont think are right!!

4 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

One thing is it the club or Bristol Sport or both you are referring to. Heard people in the community trust are less than impressed by interference from Bristol sport setting them targets they dont think are right!!

The lines are so blurred these days, I don’t know. Bristol Sport in the main. 

23 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Absolutely - but I’m not sure people know what they’re actually fighting for on this Adam Baker subject. 

And yes, you didn’t, but a fair to talk about democracy when you talk about governments (on the whole!) - especially when so many act as if the club is answerable to them personally, on every internal matter.   

I see no fighting or real articulated consensus, but I can spot a realisation. A few years ago there were threads about Bristol Sport brand theft etc and a handful raised concerns about Bristol Sport and its role. These posters like myself were ridiculed. It was pointed out that Bristol Sport was going to absorb large elements of the FC, and that certain behaviours which are more evident to fans now could be expected.

The reality is that Bristol Sport were never there to run the club shop as people argued, there are there to take over and provide hard nosed business acumen, being part of a club and behaving as impassioned fans would like them to be is not part of this form of progress.

4 hours ago, Cowshed said:

I see no fighting or real articulated consensus, but I can spot a realisation. A few years ago there were threads about Bristol Sport brand theft etc and a handful raised concerns about Bristol Sport and its role. These posters like myself were ridiculed. It was pointed out that Bristol Sport was going to absorb large elements of the FC, and that certain behaviours which are more evident to fans now could be expected.

The reality is that Bristol Sport were never there to run the club shop as people argued, there are there to take over and provide hard nosed business acumen, being part of a club and behaving as impassioned fans would like them to be is not part of this form of progress.

Well I think my point is this thread about him being sacked has racked up 15+ pages and the “Thank you Adam” thread has slipped away with a 2 pages last I looked....says a lot to me.

Ultimately - I think there are more important battles to fight - disabled parking for example. 

I know there is a wariness of Bristol Sport - personally I’m yet to see it negatively impact BCFC? Ticket prices for example could well have been an issue regardless of whether it’s wrapped up under BCFC or Bristol Sport - I don’t know how we line up against the rest of the league in terms of ticket prices?

There have been plenty of positives so far - an excellent playing surface that hasn’t once looked to suffer from football and rugby on it at the same time. The potential new stadium on the wickes site - continuing to improve he infrastructure and facilities around the ground.

2 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Well I think my point is this thread about him being sacked has racked up 15+ pages and the “Thank you Adam” thread has slipped away with a 2 pages last I looked....says a lot to me.

Ultimately - I think there are more important battles to fight - disabled parking for example. 

I know there is a wariness of Bristol Sport - personally I’m yet to see it negatively impact BCFC? Ticket prices for example could well have been an issue regardless of whether it’s wrapped up under BCFC or Bristol Sport - I don’t know how we line up against the rest of the league in terms of ticket prices?

There have been plenty of positives so far - an excellent playing surface that hasn’t once looked to suffer from football and rugby on it at the same time. The potential new stadium on the wickes site - continuing to improve he infrastructure and facilities around the ground.

The positives could have been achieved minus Bristol Sport. The rest of football achieves this. 

The minuses have been created by Bristol Sport minus involvement of fans to minimize the impact. These negatives are due to the corporate nature of Bristol Sport, the bottom line and targets are all important. It is not a club so expect more of the same in future.

Ticket prices ... BCFC have no history minus BS of behaving in this manner. My experience  of working with BCFC and the Community trust via charities (disability) was favourable. Since Bristol Sport have become involved my view and experience is now different.

In regards to the above, these actions are negatively impacting BCFC if you consider fans to be a part of the FC. One area which could impact the football in future is the downsizing of the pathway of community trust - academy. The community trust was providing  coaching for kids in and around Bristol. These centres have been shut - It appears due to instruction from Bristol Sport. Services being provided to local junior clubs and schools are being moved towards costly partnerships which favour more monied areas of Bristol - This is causing resentment amongst Bristol Community Trust staff as it is being directed by BS, and amongst grass roots football, thus damaging the reputation of BCFC.  

3 hours ago, Cowshed said:

The positives could have been achieved minus Bristol Sport. The rest of football achieves this. 

The minuses have been created by Bristol Sport minus involvement of fans to minimize the impact. These negatives are due to the corporate nature of Bristol Sport, the bottom line and targets are all important. It is not a club so expect more of the same in future.

Ticket prices ... BCFC have no history minus BS of behaving in this manner. My experience  of working with BCFC and the Community trust via charities (disability) was favourable. Since Bristol Sport have become involved my view and experience is now different.

In regards to the above, these actions are negatively impacting BCFC if you consider fans to be a part of the FC. One area which could impact the football in future is the downsizing of the pathway of community trust - academy. The community trust was providing  coaching for kids in and around Bristol. These centres have been shut - It appears due to instruction from Bristol Sport. Services being provided to local junior clubs and schools are being moved towards costly partnerships which favour more monied areas of Bristol - This is causing resentment amongst Bristol Community Trust staff as it is being directed by BS, and amongst grass roots football, thus damaging the reputation of BCFC.  

It’s my opinion - that BS or no BS, under SL, the club would be moving in line with the national trend of corporatising football clubs regardless. It’s just marketing and ultimately the same people are still top of the tree, S and J L. You talk about it BS like it’s some independent entity. 

Ticket price hikes, fans moved from seats to accommodate more corporate types (higher revenue), less fan liason etc etc. 

Our version, BS, is something slightly different than other clubs, in name only, but the concept and the actions are the same as every other club in the top flights. Ending often in a disconnect between club and fans all across the country, that is forgotten about with success and fought about during failure. 

This isn’t something created by or unique to BS, IMO. 

Bristol Sport is an umbrella with different elements underneath it. What’s best for each element is best for BS, not the other way round and until I see clear evidence to the contrary, that’s my opinion. 

Which brings me onto your community example. Something that I’ve heard mentioned before - but I’m not sure it’s the entire truth. Firstly you seem to suggest community trust and youth academy are dependant on each other, I’m not sure that’s the case.

Secondly there is a lot of grey areas here - ultimately I’d like the club to do good things in the community, but as far as I’m aware, this is not a requirement of a football club. It seems they do do good things, especially in education, but there is a graded system dependant on payment which isn’t ideally in the charity spirit. But I don’t know, nor do you I’d guess, exactly how much BCFC put in money wise anyway and how that compares to other clubs. It could be the case that we put £XXXXXX in every year and that is augmented by pay deals.

Ultimately the community trust is a stand alone charity right? So I’m not sure how much power BS would have over it, as you suggest they do. So as I say, grey areas.

47 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

It’s my opinion - that BS or no BS, under SL, the club would be moving in line with the national trend of corporatising football clubs regardless. It’s just marketing and ultimately the same people are still top of the tree, S and J L. You talk about it BS like it’s some independent entity. 

Ticket price hikes, fans moved from seats to accommodate more corporate types (higher revenue), less fan liason etc etc. 

Our version, BS, is something slightly different than other clubs, in name only, but the concept and the actions are the same as every other club in the top flights. Ending often in a disconnect between club and fans all across the country, that is forgotten about with success and fought about during failure. 

This isn’t something created by or unique to BS, IMO. 

Bristol Sport is an umbrella with different elements underneath it. What’s best for each element is best for BS, not the other way round and until I see clear evidence to the contrary, that’s my opinion. 

Which brings me onto your community example. Something that I’ve heard mentioned before - but I’m not sure it’s the entire truth. Firstly you seem to suggest community trust and youth academy are dependant on each other, I’m not sure that’s the case.

Secondly there is a lot of grey areas here - ultimately I’d like the club to do good things in the community, but as far as I’m aware, this is not a requirement of a football club. It seems they do do good things, especially in education, but there is a graded system dependant on payment which isn’t ideally in the charity spirit. But I don’t know, nor do you I’d guess, exactly how much BCFC put in money wise anyway and how that compares to other clubs. It could be the case that we put £XXXXXX in every year and that is augmented by pay deals. Ultimately the community trust is a charity right? So as I say, grey areas.

I will hold my different opinion.

I have not suggested that the academy and trust were dependent on each other. Obviously many Community trust activities could never be a pathway into the academy. I am stating that community trust weekly coaching sessions positioned around the City and outside were part of a pathway into the academy as a fact. This pathway no longer exists. 

The less than grey area is that the Community trust can be socially exclusive in aspects (amongst the very good work) in what it does. Partnerships with the Community Trust are a considerable cost and the FC is not subsidizing them. 

The impact is that less kids are coached not more. Other footballing Bristol charities coach more with less for less. And a possible impact is that a talented kid could be lost to another club rather than being spotted at a Community Trust coaching session. 

I again on the above points will take a contrary view to yours that if Amy Kington was still involved in the Community Trust and academy the above would not have occurred. 

I expect the Community Trust also to be absorbed into Bristol Sport in the future.   

You have undersold Bristol Sport as slightly different. There is no parallel to other clubs. Bristol Sport is unique, as well as unnecessary. 

3 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

I will hold my different opinion.

I have not suggested that the academy and trust were dependent on each other. Obviously many Community trust activities could never be a pathway into the academy. I am stating that community trust weekly coaching sessions positioned around the City and outside were part of a pathway into the academy as a fact. This pathway no longer exists. 

The less than grey area is that the Community trust can be socially exclusive in aspects (not all) in what it does. Partnerships with Community trust can be a considerable cost and the FC is not subsidizing them. 

The impact is that less kids are coached not more. Other footballing Bristol charities coach more with less for less. And a possible impact is that a talented kid could be lost to another club rather than being spotted at a Community trust coaching session. 

I again on the above points will take a contrary view to yours that if Amy Kington was still involved in the Community Trust and academy the above would not have occurred. 

I expect the Community Trust also to be absorbed into Bristol Sport in the future.   

You have undersold Bristol Sport as slightly different. There is no parallel to other clubs. Bristol Sport is unique, as well as unnecessary. 

Thanks - really interesting stuff and I totally respect your view, I guess time will tell on a lot of other discussions.

R.E the community trust - obviously it isn't ideal that it is socially exclusive, but perhaps it needs to survive that way? So you say Bristol City makes no donations to the running of the community trust?

Which other Bristol football charities are there? They offer more opportunities for less or no money?

Regarding the 'pathway' - I don't know how youngsters are scouted at youth level, perhaps it doesn't exist at community trust sessions now because they now have better options? Open training sessions or improved school scouting/relationships for example? Either way, I doubt scouts from other clubs are poaching youngsters from BCFC community trust sessions.

7 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Thanks - really interesting stuff and I totally respect your view, I guess time will tell on a lot of other discussions.

R.E the community trust - obviously it isn't ideal that it is socially exclusive, but perhaps it needs to survive that way? So you say Bristol City makes no donations to the running of the community trust?

Which other Bristol football charities are there? They offer more opportunities for less or no money?

Regarding the 'pathway' - I don't know how youngsters are scouted at youth level, perhaps it doesn't exist at community trust sessions now because they now have better options? Open training sessions or improved school scouting/relationships for example? Either way, I doubt scouts from other clubs are poaching youngsters from BCFC community trust sessions.

Our youth scouting is notoriously poor.

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

Bristol City FC do not fund, or did not the Community Trust. 

R.E the community trust - obviously it isn't ideal that it is socially exclusive ... Aspects are cost prohibitive for cash strapped schools and junior clubs. And much is very good value. Unfortunately visits from the players are linked to how much you pay!  

There are two very large junior clubs in South Bristol that are charities. 

Young payers are scouted at the EFL tournament at SBSC, at kids tournaments through the summer, at Hanham minor league games, at the JPL in Yate, and by having scouts within junior clubs ... And they are scouted by other clubs doing exactly the same. 

Other clubs e.g. Reading use their Community Trust to scout players, coach players, run numerous teams outside of the academy to develop players and run soccer schools leading to Community Trust development centres, leading to Community Trust elite development centres, and into the academy for the best of the elite. That is done in unison with schools and junior clubs, and amusingly they run a development centre in Swindon that plays games here in Bristol v other development centres (not including BCFC - No teams, or close to it). BCFC coaching outside of the academy is patchy. Exeter City have more reach than BCFC do in the West Country via their network of development centres.

The above is not only socially conscious, It is also progressive. Reading are more likely to find a talent because of what they do.

A well organised development centre is self funding. Parents pay for their kids coaching, not the FC, unless they progress to academy level.

Either way, I doubt scouts from other clubs are poaching youngsters from BCFC community trust sessions ... Bit hard when the sessions like at Keynsham, Knowle ... No longer exist.  

Bristol City's pathway should have been expanded, not closed down by Bristol Sports meddling.

Archived