IGNORED

Goodbye and Good luck - Aden Flint gone, official (Merged)

Davefevs

1 minute ago, Andy082005 said:

Flint proved last season he can be a professional 

He had what...3 years left to run on his contract?

Sorry but it's a terrible bit of business from the club. Just proves they have zero ambition 

How does not being able to compete with parachute payments demonstrate a lack of ambition? If Boro are in his ear offering him 30/35/40k a week how on Earth are we ever going to retain him? We won’t. Money talks. 

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

We did, in March... 15 months after we also have him another improved deal. 

And if necessary we could've done so again. If the figures being talked about are correct then it's possibly one of the the worst bit of business i can recall. 

To be fair Baker and Wright didn't do too badly when they were playing together at the beginning of last season.

For me, accepting the bid for Flint means that Baker and Wright start the season as first choice, and that we have an incoming RB, as Baker can't play 2 positions at once.... Taylor Moore needs to step up this season as well, otherwise hes gone by Christmas. Let's not forget that Baker came in permanently when Flint was supposedly off last season, so I think his replacement is already here.

Despite how people feel about him, upwards of £5m (seeing around 7 - 7.5 banded around Facebook) for a 29 year old who has never played at a higher level, and who's value is probably as high as it will be because of that, isn't bad. Yes we're going to miss his goals, but Flint has been a regular in defences that have shipped goals for fun sometimes, as has Bryan.

If it goes through, then good luck to him, thanks for the service, but we need to look ahead.

2 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Can we buy a replacement for £3.7m? Do you actually trust MA/LJ to deliver a replacement?

YES.

I would trust Lee Johnson even if my balls were in a vice.

I have complete confidence in him as manager of BCFC.

Why the question????

:shifty:

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Not intended to be condescending at all - it’s a simple fact that a large proportion of our fans have absolutely zero clue about the reality of working within a financial constraint. 

Not sure where first team football comes into it. He has had that from day one here. 

You've done it again!

9 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

LJ/MA if you think it might be a difficult summer you'd better watch out if you waste the money on the normal shite and we don’t progress early in the new season. Your heads are now very firmly on the block. I’d give you now 10 games, otherwise it’s going to turn pretty nasty.

Our patience is wearing mightly thin. 

Appalled by losing Flinty more than anything, but then our beloved pair compound the pain by selling for a give-a-way price to a rival? Abysmal. 

So our management/scouting team think they can get a proven Championship leader, dominant centre back who has awesome ball skills, great header, quickish, tackles, put his body on the line, gaurantees scores 10 odd goals per season for £5 million?

You absolute pair of jokers. Thanks for grandly fooking up the January window and, as a direct consequence, losing a player who is one of the best, if not the best player, I’ve witnessed wearing a red shirt in 50 years of watching my team.

Absolutely this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ terrible, terrible decision, with more to come no doubt

Just now, lenred said:

And if necessary we could've done so again. If the figures being talked about are correct then it's possibly one of the the worst bit of business i can recall. 

He'll have already been one of if not THE top earner at the club, hand him another deal and everyone below suddenly starts wanting improved contracts to match their perceived worth. Also for the last bit, no sell on clause on Cole ;)

3 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

potential; money talks mate and its why Flinty is likely to go to Boro and unlikely anyone anywhere near as good as him will come here;

We could have gone for it ourselves the last window, what did we get? apparent potential then...bag of shite more like it; so we rebuild again then zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

What's that bit based on? He's nearly 29, business-wise £5 million is absolutely fine, and will definitely help towards getting another dominant centre back. I totally understand people being despondent after losing someone like Flint, but that's just how football works. You sell, either because a player wants to leave and a much bigger club comes calling, or a player wants to leave and financially it makes sense. Then we reinvest. It'll all be fine.

1 minute ago, ... said:

YES.

I would trust Lee Johnson even if my balls were in a vice.

I have complete confidence in him as manager of BCFC.

Why the question????

:shifty:

Forgot who I was asking for a minute there like haha

1 minute ago, Bri Stool City said:

and what exactly do we do with these goalscorers, keep them and build a powerfull force to take on the prem or cash in and go back to sq one ? its the later same old same old wake up.

That's how football works ofc, unless we're a big fish in the league which we're not. 

Money talks but aslong as we keep finding quality replacements, which we have, then I'm not worried. 

6 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Not at all. Just can’t believe for a second you needed it pointed out!

I rest my case

Obviously looking for a row 86

Good luck 

:thumbsup::laughcont:

Very ‘selective’ when you stick your nose in , and not too holier than tho you’re self either

Youve merely confirmed what I’ve thought from day one

2 minutes ago, ReggyRed said:

Why are we selling our best players to our rivals?? 

1. Because it makes a lot of money.

2. SL makes it clear the club must become self sufficient over time.

3. Flint will get a big wage increase, which he is entitled to look for, especially as he is 29 and may not get another chance.

4. We have promised our players we would not stand in their way if an acceptable offer comes in.

5. If players see they can progress with us we are more likely to attract signings.

1 minute ago, Taylor10 said:

Queue a host of comments such as....’we have Bailey Wright so Flint won’t be missed’

For me it’s a huge loss. We may replace him, we may not but with our transfer dealings over the last 2-3 seasons I am very doubtful about that.

What about Baker? Defensively we probably won't miss Flint. What we'll miss is his goals and character. Which is fair enough.

1 minute ago, hodge said:

He'll have already been one of if not THE top earner at the club, hand him another deal and everyone below suddenly starts wanting improved contracts to match their perceived worth. Also for the last bit, no sell on clause on Cole ;)

I did say 'one of'! ;)

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

How does not being able to compete with parachute payments demonstrate a lack of ambition? If Boro are in his ear offering him 30/35/40k a week how on Earth are we ever going to retain him? We won’t. Money talks. 

But £5m? In this modern market? Especially after last year and the stance they took with Birmingham 

Laughable 

I shudder to think what Johnson and Ashton will waste the money on. As I said though...gives him a ready made excuse for next season already 

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The profit we'll make from the Flint deal is £3.7m apparently. £5m guaranteed of which £1m goes to Swindon and £300k we paid for Flint. 

Pathetic.

For a club that bleeds 10m a season you buy an asset for 300k and make 3.7m after 5 years I would say that is tidy business. That isn’t including add ons. His value will only depreciate in the future. Top CBs generally go for between 4-6m from within the division. The top CB was 8m from a premier league club. In most cases the CBs are in their mid 20s. From a business standpoint it is very good. From a playing standpoint we will have to wait and see. I agree he is a fighter and winner and that fit fullbacks would make a massive difference to the defense even with Flint

1 minute ago, Taylor10 said:

Queue a host of comments such as....’we have Bailey Wright so Flint won’t be missed’

For me it’s a huge loss. We may replace him, we may not but with our transfer dealings over the last 2-3 seasons I am very doubtful about that.

Flint will be missed, only a fool would think otherwise.

However with the revelation that Monk changed his mind about signing him for Boro last summer after a deal was agreed, I think that Wright & Baker were Plan A last season originally.

We probably will bring another CB in, but with Vyner, Kelly & forgotten man Hegeler all able to play there, I’d get a new RB first myself..

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Just a quick point of clarity.

The 20% to Swindon- is that of the fee or the profit on the fee we signed him for?

Also Boro's parachute payments fall by about £7m this year- this the final year of them. If they don't go up this year...

This is easy: don't pay Swindon a ******** penny.

7 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

He signed a contract in March. Surely just handing out new, increased contracts every few months when someone comes sniffing is the road to financial ruin?

It was one of the ways on which I expressed we could keep him alongside others. But yes, IF you value a player that much then you up the contract if necessary or you don't sell if there are multiple years left.  You certainly don't sell for £5m plus add ons with 20% going to another team. All in IMHO of course.......

Archived