IGNORED

Goodbye and Good luck - Aden Flint gone, official (Merged)

Davefevs

2 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

But £5m? In this modern market? Especially after last year and the stance they took with Birmingham 

Laughable 

I shudder to think what Johnson and Ashton will waste the money on. As I said though...gives him a ready made excuse for next season already 

They probably have some more up and coming Scandinavians up their sleeves to humiliate.

Flint is a legend, my favourite player of the current crop & could have played in the 89-90 team - my first - so there you have the level of appreciation I have for Flinty.

Do I want to sell him? No. Is it ideal that he is going to a divisional rival? No.  Thing is I understand it.  He is likely to be on a LOT more money and for all we know the club holds him in such high regard that they acknowledge that his interests are elsewhere and they don't want to hold him back/deny him a chance to earn a better living for his family.  We have made a massive profit on him and he has served this club perfectly.

We simply are not playing in the same financial pool as teams like Middlesborough at this point.  I am aware of this and this sale has all the hallmarks of the model that the club have been very upfront about since Johnson took over. There should be no surprise to supporters about this.

I am sad to see him go but wish him well.

This is why I don't go on here really any more - any decision made by the club, even ones that appear smart after a bit of thought, are instantly labelled as another reason why the club is "failing", mainly because we went on a losing run over Easter. It's not like we've messed him about with his contract and letting him go for free.

It's just not realistic to expect every player to want to stay at City for their whole career, and it's not a failure by the club if that's the case. We've made progress this season gone, let's just wait and see before condemning every bit of business we do, especially before we know any of the details at all.

Oh jeez, misread this...saw "Baker" then "Nathan"

BAKER JOINS YEOVIL

Young goalkeeper Nathan Baxter has joined Yeovil from Chelsea on a season-long loan. 

The 19-year-old arrives for his first taste of EFL football, after picking up a host of end of season awards whilst on loan at Woking in the Vanarama National League in 2017/18.

image.png

image.png

6 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

What about Baker? Defensively we probably won't miss Flint. What we'll miss is his goals and character. Which is fair enough.

Baker on his day is quality but is he that much better than Flint defensively? Also for as good as Baker is he won’t play a full season. Flint doesn’t miss many games!

1 minute ago, ReggyRed said:

So basically we have no ambition 

He's 29. It would show a lack of ambition for us to try and cling onto an ageing centre back and not look for a replacement. It would show a lack of ambition to ignore a decent offer when we get one.

Just now, Taylor10 said:

Baker on his day is quality but is he that much better than Flint defensively? Also for as good as Baker is he won’t play a full season. Flint doesn’t miss many games!

He's slightly better, yes. All I was really saying was that defensively Flint isn't all that special, we can find his qualities in a replacement fairly easily. As I said, it's the attacking instinct and charisma that'll be hard to replace. But that was always going to have to happen eventually.

1 minute ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Oh jeez, misread this...saw "Baker" then "Nathan"

BAKER JOINS YEOVIL

Young goalkeeper Nathan Baxter has joined Yeovil from Chelsea on a season-long loan. 

The 19-year-old arrives for his first taste of EFL football, after picking up a host of end of season awards whilst on loan at Woking in the Vanarama National League in 2017/18.

image.png

image.png

Johnson would never be so ******** stupid as to sell all our left backs AND all our centre-halves AT THE SAME TIME.

:nono:

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Flint will be missed, only a fool would think otherwise.

However with the revelation that Monk changed his mind about signing him for Boro last summer after a deal was agreed, I think that Wright & Baker were Plan A last season originally.

We probably will bring another CB in, but with Vyner, Kelly & forgotten man Hegeler all able to play there, I’d get a new RB first myself..

New RB is a priority GC.

as I have said above, I like Baker but can we rely on him to be fit? I think if we go with 4 centre half’s of BW, NB, JH & ZV we are pretty light in that area for a 46 game season.

49 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Probably bollocks.

SL said at the end of the season that he'd want £10m for Flint so the £5m quoted is desrisory.

If he goes, he goes. Fans panicked last season after Tammy went to Swansea but we didn't exactly miss him. 

Now it seems they're panicking again in case Flint goes.

Just because the Lord our saviour Steve Lansdown made a comment on the subject months ago, doesn't mean it's true.

I'm going to be very controversial here but... 

I think this could prove to be a good deal for us, who's to say he'll work out at Boro and 7 mill for a 29 year old with only a few years of championship experience isn't a bad piece of business in my opinion. 

I think if Johnson does want to play a passing game of football Flint doesn't have the skill set to be a part of it, granted he's excellent in both boxes but with the ball at his feet he's not great let's be honest. 

Obviously I'll miss him, he's become a city legend and he'll be missed by everyone, was an integral part of our promotion season and he's scored some vital goals but if we replace him with a younger player who is brtter with the ball at his feet and slightly quicker it'll be good business in my opinion. 

Tim hat on now haha 

Would be a pity but then this is what everyone expected on signing Baker last season. 

As long as the fee is nearer £10m than £5m it's not horrific. 

I wouldn't be too surprised if there was a minimum release fee in the contract he signed (or an informal agreement) that applied if we missed out on promotion.

We'll need to sign another centre half but probably more of a ball playing one given Wright and Baker are the sort that attack the ball more.

Also I assume we can now play Baker left side of centre and Wright right side of centre which might prove to be a very strong first choice pair.

1 minute ago, Sturny said:

Imagine this forum if we lose Flint, Bobby and Bryan in the space of a week.

Many tears and rightfully so 

Better start gearing up for this place to hit 2016/17 season levels of toxicity then.

48 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Very true. Flint is 29 next month so only has 4-5 decent years left in him, he could well be on £25-30k a week in Boro, cant say I blame him. Im very thankful for what he has done for the club.

He also signed a new deal which has given the club the ability to ask for a large fee, unlike the 2 Bristolians wanting away.

Good luck Flinty! :(

13 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Speaks volumes of the people who run this club and the ability they have of taking us to the next level. 

Sorry but this is a ridiculous bit of business if the fee is £5m. After all that happened last summer ...to then go and sell him for peanuts anyway is a joke 

At least it gives the club their ready made excuse for when we are in the bottom 3 next season

As someone said above...for a club that has the resources we have, to sell one of our prized assets to a league rival for peanuts speak volumes of the club and it's true ambition 

The club are a laughing stock 

^ so true.

The only benefit I can see is that we won’t see MA for the rest of the Summer as he’ll soon realise that all in the football world think Boro has taken the piss out of him.

The only logic I can see from the MA/LJ perspective is that this Flinty deal makes our January Diony/Kent/Walsh shambles look good in comparison. Maybe they just got fed up with being slated for the January debacle and thought they do an even worse deal so we’d forget about their January balls up. 

4 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Flint probably wants to go.  Boro will pay him a fortune and this is his last big contract. Remember he did come into Football late on.

3 minutes ago, Yozzarian said:

Flint is a legend, my favourite player of the current crop & could have played in the 89-90 team - my first - so there you have the level of appreciation I have for Flinty.

Do I want to sell him? No. Is it ideal that he is going to a divisional rival? No.  Thing is I understand it.  He is likely to be on a LOT more money and for all we know the club holds him in such high regard that they acknowledge that his interests are elsewhere and they don't want to hold him back/deny him a chance to earn a better living for his family.  We have made a massive profit on him and he has served this club perfectly.

We simply are not playing in the same financial pool as teams like Middlesborough at this point.  I am aware of this and this sale has all the hallmarks of the model that the club have been very upfront about since Johnson took over. There should be no surprise to supporters about this.

I am sad to see him go but wish him well.

I agree with both of these posts, Flint unlike some other players of a recent vintage has given wonderful service to our club and has also unlike some of a recent vintage always given 100% every time he put on the shirt.

it's a great pity he looks as though he is going to a divisional rival but I for one wish him all the best.

With a bit of luck Pulis might upset him and get a slap.

Archived