IGNORED

Goodbye and Good luck - Aden Flint gone, official (Merged)

Davefevs

• Admin
3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

It's also the peak of his value and, from his point of view, the peak of his earning potential. Neither we nor Flint are going to make that kind of money at some later stage.

Not necessarily true, players can still improve 

The thing that frustrates me is our owner stated we'd not sell to opposition in the same league and the amount offered is hardly earth shattering up like Kodija 

Just get the deal done and move on 

Tremendous player for the club while he's been here. Improving each season. Gutted he's going but many great memories and fantastic goals. But the goal line clearance at the Etihad was beyond belief. 

He's good friends with Cotts and has little time for LJ so not really surprised. I wish him every success and really hope he gets promoted with them.

• Admin
7 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Be interesting to see who we replace Flinty with!

Or, perhaps LJ will go with the CB’s we already have and invest elsewhere?

Afterall, the signing of Baker was surely made on the basis that we expected AF to go last summer?

Two centre halves left the club, surely at least one will come in, it's too big an ask expecting a young player stepping up for 40+ games. 

Agree Baker seemed one too many hence why we had a centre half playing at right back 

18 minutes ago, ReggyRed said:

What a club we are. Had our pants pulled down by a rival for one of the best CBs in the league.

wish I got the memo about us having zero ambition before I renewed my season ticket. 

I think the January transfer window was the memo.

1 minute ago, Frenchay Red said:

Tremendous player for the club while he's been here. Improving each season. Gutted he's going but many great memories and fantastic goals. But the goal line clearance at the Etihad was beyond belief. 

He's good friends with Cotts and has little time for LJ so not really surprised. I wish him every success and really hope he gets promoted with them.

Which if the rumours are true is one of the main reasons he is leaving - he does not like Johnson.

If true?

Pisses me right off.

Just now, GasDestroyer said:

And they talk about ambition at Bristol City ...........

FFS - selling your best players means only one thing.  

I agree, but what if he wanted to leave? Personally I dont want a unhappy player at the club. The players are in charge these days unfortunately. 

Gutted Flinty’s off but before we moan about the fee, how sure are we that at 7m, they haven’t met his buy out clause?

He may have insisted on a somewhat low buy out clause in order to sign his new contract considering his head was ‘supposedly’ turned before.

Only playing devil’s advocate and I’m in no way ITK re his contract conditions.

2 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

Chris Beek is pretty much in the know and saying 7 million

If true

Thats a good deal 

Do some research, he's been banned multiple times from here due to constant fabrication of stories. 

If you want to know what sort of person he is I dare you to search for CHRIS BEEK RACING

7 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

I don't think anyone is arguing against that. Morons aside we all accept our best players will leave because the lure of money and premiership ambitions are too great.

I think the worry comes from a transfer "team" with a worryingly poor track record and the task of replacing one of the most talismanic players we've had in the 21st century.

No arguments from me at all about that (the ability to replace effectively) but the wailing and gnashing of teeth seems to largely be about the sale itself. 

No one minds (and in fact everyone thinks it’s the generally excepted right thing) when we pick off smaller clubs best players, but everyone gets on their high horse ‘the club haven’t got a clue’ etc when the same happens to us. It’s just the food chain. 

The irony is it’s been made abundantly clear that this is exactly how we will seek to do things (buy whilst unknown, look to add value and sell on) - then everyone’s up in arms when we do exactly what we’ve said we’ll do all along. 

Everyone will be sad to see him go but this is the natural order of things. We’re not overnight going to chuck 30/40k a week at players (especially players who have had multiple improved contracts in a short space of time). 

Player obviously wants the move and a player is only worth what someone is prepared to pay. Any talk of £10m etc on here is way off the mark in terms of market value. His value to us is another question but no one’s going to pay that. 

Goes with my blessing, he’s earned a big pay day and now a club that has the resources to give it to him have come along. It’s as good a move as he can get outside the premier league and anyone doubting that it’s a massive head turner for him needs a head check. Massive club compared to us in terms of financial clout and recent achievements. 

Just now, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

After having to put my 16 yr old labrador to sleep today and feeling pretty down, I thought I'd check out whether Jon Lansdown came through with a signing today to feel a bit better- 

He did... for Pulis.

If Carlsberg did totally and utterly shit days.....

Sorry about that mate. Totally horrible feeling.

Chin up though. He could've gone to Cardiff.

1 minute ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

After having to put my 16 yr old labrador to sleep today and feeling pretty down, I thought I'd check out whether Jon Lansdown came through with a signing today to feel a bit better- 

He did... for Pulis.

If Carlsberg did totally and utterly shit days.....

Sorry to hear that :( Losing a pet is truly horrible. 

1 minute ago, Top Robin said:

Dare I say that we may replace him with a better player who isnt prone to the odd howler.

Would that be Premiership or Championship-proven with a better goal scoring and appearance record? Or is it just anotherTaylor Moore style lower league punt?

If the former, I assume that explains the £135 million share withdrawal.

If the latter MA/LJ punts record has been lamentable to date, what makes you think they are suddenly going to improve? I thought they were using the same systems, scouts as previous - good chance we get the same outcomes then.

6 minutes ago, lenred said:

It makes no sense at all. I can only think that for whatever reason that LJ was happy to ‘sanction’ him leaving. Or in other words wanted him out. Another strong character off the staff list. May be clutching at straws but it’s one of the  only reasons I can think of that makes any sense atm as to why we are letting him go so cheaply with another 3 years on a contract. 

I doubt Lee Johnson had any say in the matter. There could be any number of reasons why we've accepted the boro offer most of which we don't and won't know. I am as disappointed as anyone that he looks to be going but I'll reserve judgment on the sale and the recruitment until the season is underway.

Aden Flint will always be an icon at Ashton Gate but who's to say we don't find another gem. We all want new signings but they have to be paid for and this won't be the last departure but I hope we use the money to really strengthen the squad.

Just now, BRISTOL86 said:

No arguments from me at all about that (the ability to replace effectively) but the wailing and gnashing of teeth seems to largely be about the sale itself. 

No one minds (and in fact everyone thinks it’s the generally excepted right thing) when we pick off smaller clubs best players, but everyone gets on their high horse ‘the club haven’t got a clue’ etc when the same happens to us. It’s just the food chain. 

The irony is it’s been made abundantly clear that this is exactly how we will seek to do things (buy whilst unknown, look to add value and sell on) - then everyone’s up in arms when we do exactly what we’ve said we’ll do all along. 

Everyone will be sad to see him go but this is the natural order of things. We’re not overnight going to chuck 30/40k a week at players (especially players who have had multiple improved contracts in a short space of time). 

Player obviously wants the move and a player is only worth what someone is prepared to pay. Any talk of £10m etc on here is way off the mark in terms of market value. His value to us is another question but no one’s going to pay that. 

Goes with my blessing, he’s earned a big pay day and now a club that has the resources to give it to him have come along. It’s as good a move as he can get outside the premier league and anyone doubting that it’s a massive head turner for him needs a head check. Massive club compared to us in terms of financial clout and recent achievements. 

Hard to disagree with the content of the post but I don't think I've seen much of the gnashing and wailing you talk about on here. Genuinely think the majority of the concerned voices are concerned with the replacement, but as with everything the massively negative will shout the loudest.

14 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

We are a relatively small fish. When players outgrow the fish bowl, inevitably more financially powerful and reputable clubs will come in to lure them into bigger waters. 

I hear what you're saying, but a club can have a model of developing and selling young players for profit and retain some long standing experienced assets in the team over the longer term.

I'm guessing here, but I very much doubt any of the great player development clubs succeed by cycling through their team so regularly, or without any "continuity" players making up their spine.

Flint doesn't fit into the bracket you describe. His level is at a club like ours or similar and if we're serious he was the sort of player you continue to build around. It's not like he's off to the Prem.

We complain about inexperience and mental weakness n the annual meltdowns under LJ, then sell one of our most experienced and consistent players, and to a very close rival. It's inexplicable.

Perhaps Flint signing a new contract convinced me he would never outgrow us. I assume the truth will out about what happened with him at the start of last season, and that is the defining issue.

1 hour ago, Red Army 87 said:

Good luck flint. A great club servant over the past few years.

However, IMO getting £7m ish for a player who has always been part of a suspect defence and has his weaknesses, is decent value.

Flint's been supremely consistent for City with very few under par games in the last 4 years.

If you think the defence has been suspect with Flint at it's heart just wait and see what it's like without our best, most committed, and most consistent defender.

Hardly likely to be less 'suspect' is it?

You can't put a value on unique players like Flint - he is all round positive influence makes him irreplaceable as far as BCFC is concerned.

6 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Do some research, he's been banned multiple times from here due to constant fabrication of stories. 

If you want to know what sort of person he is I dare you to search for CHRIS BEEK RACING

Weather getting to you?

I know nothing of his background or about him. 

Pinched the comment from another site 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aden-flint-middlesbrough-transfer-bristol-1717660.amp

2 minutes ago, numbeast said:

I doubt Lee Johnson had any say in the matter. There could be any number of reasons why we've accepted the boro offer most of which we don't and won't know. I am as disappointed as anyone that he looks to be going but I'll reserve judgment on the sale and the recruitment until the season is underway.

Aden Flint will always be an icon at Ashton Gate but who's to say we don't find another gem. We all want new signings but they have to be paid for and this won't be the last departure but I hope we use the money to really strengthen the squad.

I cant believe that he wouldn’t have any say. If he’s Manager surely he would have the majority of the say? Agree that we need to hold tight to see who will come in but with Joey and Bob also looking like they are going then it’s going to be a tricky task for the management team that’s for sure. 

9 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

It hasn't.

There's been more than enough posts on here that show the scale of the problem. I think @Davefevs had a graph on here that showed how many players could be considered 'failures', 'successes' and 'in between/development players'. (Might not have been Dave but someone will know what I'm on about and post it). Not to mention the rumours from very trustworthy posters about Ashton's "overinvolvement" in the transfer dealings.

There were a great deal more failures than there were successes and that is the origin of my worry going in to the new season. With a whacking great amount of money I'm very concerned we'll end up with a team of expensive Scandinavians.

I would love nothing more than to be proved wrong.

May of been me. There were one or two.

I compared players on that basis iirc, along with whether they would garner a greater fee.

Someone also argued with me that Maggs would sell for a profit. I pointed out he only had a year left and WC aside, would be lucky to recoup the €3m we spent l him. We did make a loss in the end if the rumoured fee is correct. 

@Davefevs can you recall? I cbf to trawl my past posts.

Here are some of the top CB transfers to teams in the championship via transfremarkt price in euro(€)

Chester Villa 16/17 27y.o 9.3m

Hanley Newcastle 16/17 24y.o 6.6m

Manga Cardiff 14/15 26y.o 6.3m

Clark Newcastle 16/17 26y.o 6m

Duffy Brighton 16/17 24y.o 5.25m

Roberts BirmCity 17/18 26y.o 4m

Elphick Villa 16/17 28y.o 3.9m

Flint Boro 18/19 29y.o 5.7-7.9m?

Some of those were from premier league clubs coming down a division too. Flint has 3 seasons of championship football at 29 years old and he would become a top 10 transfer paid for a defender and the oldest on the list. Most of which have come in the last few age where fees have gone mental. 

Talk about what we lose on the pitch is fair enough. Leader, aerial threat, presonality, passionate etc all fair points

Talk about the fee and the business by the club? They will have done very well and I don’t think it is up for debate. 

Archived