IGNORED

Goodbye and Good luck - Aden Flint gone, official (Merged)

Davefevs

11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It's not. £2m are add ons we may never see.

That’s the thing though......none of us know. The sky guy is now saying fee is £7million......that could be upfront with no add ons or £5million with add ons. 

5 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

Where had anyone said that , no one said that 

In fact the Post is quoting upwards of £7m, though we do not know how it is structured of course. Fees are rarely paid if ever up front though.

Given we wanted £5m before he signed a long contract it's reasonable to assume we are getting more than that in total now 

2 minutes ago, stortfordred said:

Still going to a club in our league tho. That’s got to be cutting off your nose to spite your face. For us I mean!!!

But will be a massive hike in wages if nothing else, add a signing on fee ?  Who can blame him, and I would expect there was something in the new contract that said he could go under certain circumstances . Plus he's 29, ok money for us and a last payday for him.

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

So for the second time, Mark Ashton has effectively placed a bet on a divisional rival to have a great season.

Add on clauses can be a good thing, but at it stands we could (in theory) be due up to 4 million on Villa winning promotion with JK and 3 million from Middlesbrough winning promotion.

So I assume we are only targeting the playoffs this coming season.

Absolute joke.

I think survival will be a good target to aim for.

1 hour ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

This tells me a few things:

We have no real, tangible ambition for Bristol City Football Club.

If we did we’d have invested properly in January and shown that intent.

Lansdown is not only selling down in HL. He’s happy to take a dividend now on his investment in our football club.

We’re ******. Bristol Sport might make Bristol Proud but that won’t be through its football club.

But hey. You reap what you sow. If we don’t get better replacements for Flint (& Reid and Bryan when they inevitably follow) then that’ll be it for me and our season tickets.

Sad thing is we won’t be missed.

Wouldn't the likes of Boro buy better if they were out there for the money; we will have to improve on our last window by a slight shade to find anything full stop. But if we are building for the future maybe we will bank the money until.......well the future. :dunno:

21 minutes ago, chinapig said:

In fact the Post is quoting upwards of £7m, though we do not know how it is structured of course. Fees are rarely paid if ever up front though.

Given we wanted £5m before he signed a long contract it's reasonable to assume we are getting more than that in total now 

There was a really interesting article in the telegraph that says some clubs do pay it all up front to drive the price down....depends on their cash flow.  If we were dealing with Villa, you’d offer them it all upfront for a discounted fee.  Man Utd typically pay up front to do just that.

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

But will be a massive hike in wages if nothing else, add a signing on fee ?  Who can blame him, and I would expect there was something in the new contract that said he could go under certain circumstances . Plus he's 29, ok money for us and a last payday for him.

Probably saving ourselves the best part of £1m a year in wages over the rest of his contract.  That will be factored into this seasons budget (not just transfer spend / net spend - which no-one other than the media use these days) and if you can bring someone in for half his wages, it looks a better deal.

I don’t think City would want to publicise the initial fee, for fear of other clubs thinking we’ve got loads of cash.  Would suit Boro to say they’ve got a bargain too.  All fun and games. 

38 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Your bottom paragraph is exactly right 

The bollocks Lansdown and co come out with. We as fans get sucked in every time .

We will never become a top championship club as long as this regime are in charge 

As you said...we are what we are. And no matter how much you dress up the facilities and how great the stadium is....they will never turn us into a top 6 team 

:clap: Nail on head

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Few things:

- For those who think we’ve undersold, clearly the market (or a clause) has dictated the fee here. If the other mooted clubs (particularly Burnley) were in, then they’d have offered comparable or more. Reality is, at Flints age, the fee is a decent one for someone with 3 seasons of champ experience

- I agree that we’ll miss AF as a figurehead, and for his goals. However, I don’t immediately hold we’ll miss him in defence. I’ve said numerous times he plays very well but is so focussed on his own game that I don’t think it always has a positive impact on the team. End of the day, we haven’t been great defensively for 3 years and AF has been part of that defence. Maybe, without saying he’s played badly, because of the whole he’s an inadvertent cause? 

- If you’re Flint, even if you loved Lee Johnson, if you can get a significant wage increase in what is likely to be your last contract, why wouldn’t you? No issue with him personally for taking the move on a purely financial basis.

So, for me, on balance it makes sense for the player, the fee is about right and I’m not convinced it’s a catastrophic loss bearing in mind our defensive record. How we spend the cash is another question, but as a deal in isolation, it ticks many more boxes than it doesn’t 

How I see it too. Still think Baker last year was his replacement but he ended up not going. We began with Baker and Wright in the middle and looked ok. Granted we'll miss his goals and his all action, neck on the line attitude will be hard to replace but a solid back 4 without Flint is easily achievable for me. Plus he deserves a final big pay day. If he goes,  it will be thanks very much for the good times and good luck for the future from me.

Boro could be flogging Ben Gibson so I think they’re in for a shock if they think Flint will come in and replace him. 

For all the negatives about selling to a divisional rival if we get the recruitment right we could end up with a stronger team and Boro with a weaker one. 

Our track record on signings isn’t great recently so we’re due a diamond! 

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

if you can bring someone in for half his wages, it looks a better deal.

This is the problem though Dave. We have built a decent side and now due to no ones fault , we have to start again. We have lost 2 CB's and probably lose Joe and Bobby, that's the way of the world, the problem comes with our recruitment. I doubt you could find one City supporter fully confident in our scouting set up. Hope I'm wrong this summer though, and we can make this buy young sell high thing work.

5 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

This is the problem though Dave. We have built a decent side and now due to no ones fault , we have to start again. We have lost 2 CB's and probably lose Joe and Bobby, that's the way of the world, the problem comes with our recruitment. I doubt you could find one City supporter fully confident in our scouting set up. Hope I'm wrong this summer though, and we can make this buy young sell high thing work.

Nobody's fault.............maybe the shite Jan window ?

12 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Yep, totally agree.  Starting the cycle again to some extent.  Definitely one to wait and see

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

I think he wants City to become a side that doesn't need him to underwrite millions of pounds of losses, while also wanting to see the side in the Premier League.

If he went "**** it, let's go **** or bust" then I think potentially we'd be able to become a lower end Premier League side, but in an incredibly unsustainable way, leaving us in a Villa type situation if we A) didn't make it up within 3 years of going for it or B) got relegated after making the Premier League.

We have seen Lansdown use this type of thought back when we signed David James, and that was the start of a slippery slope that you could argue we have only just recovered from (first season since that signing where we have finished in a comparable position.)

In respect of your first paragraph, do you think that’s achievable?

I

Well, no.

That add on doesn't disappear if both sides go up.

It's an extremely standard clause to put in when a player joins one of the bigger sides in the division.

What is bizarre is why you felt the need to manipulate a standard clause into a stick to beat the club with.

Well, no.

It's an extremely standard clause to put in when a player joins one of the bigger sides in the division.

What is bizarre is why you felt the need to manipulate a standard clause into a stick to beat the club with.

Well, no.

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I think the difference is Flint is already at maximum value and not really still developing. What else could he do with us to add value to his transfer fee? Nothing IMO. 

The model only works if you have the conviction and guts to ‘go again’ when the time comes

Yeah, we're wildly agreeing on this one except for one thing - I don't care about him not adding to his transfer value, I believe his value to us over another 4 years is worth considerably more than £5m, I don't want to make any money off him. That's what I meant about him not fitting the model. 

He isn't a big time potential player sale with a sell on too and all that good stuff - he is disproportionately valuable to us as he is, he established himself as an important player at both ends of the pitch and as a winner, why do we want £5m, and off a direct rival too, for me it's a false economy! 

1 minute ago, Olé said:

Yeah, we're wildly agreeing on this one except for one thing - I don't care about him not adding to his transfer value, I believe his value to us over another 4 years is worth considerably more than £5m, I don't want to make any money off him. That's what I meant about him not fitting the model. 

He isn't a big time potential player sale with a sell on too and all that good stuff - he is disproportionately valuable to us as he is, he established himself as an important player at both ends of the pitch and as a winner, why do we want £5m, and off a direct rival too, for me it's a false economy! 

Definitley agree with the fact that he’s worth more than £5m to us. But a Flint that doesn’t want to be here is worth nothing to us. That’s the danger. 

I’d say his head is well and truly not here if we’re at this stage. You can’t retain a player that doesn’t want to stay unfortunately. 

2 minutes ago, Olé said:

Agree 100%, exactly the same way as I also feel about Albert, 31 in December, not a signing for the long term so doesn’t fit the “model” but boy would we be a better side with him in it..

6 minutes ago, 054123 said:

In respect of your first paragraph, do you think that’s achievable?

Achievable, yes.

Easy, no.

It's likely that we would need to reach the Premier League using this model first in order to become self sufficient.

I think it is possible but we will have seasons where we end up falling short despite being in a good position, and seasons where we are a bit further away than the one preceding it. It might even take a different manager.

4 minutes ago, Olé said:

Precisely this-money in the bank is not always great business as many factors come to bear.....certainly not an example of "joined up thinking" with this..............

No  moment is a good moment to sell a character as big as the big man Flint .

The bloke has had a huge  impact on our club and will be remembered long after many of his current / ancient team mates have left the game .

Flinty has been a shining light at  City and we will all miss him .

That said , we move on , new heroes will rise .

We'll never forget you Flinty .

:sad26:

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There was a really interesting article in the telegraph that says some clubs do pay it all up front to drive the price down....depends on their cash flow.  If we were dealing with Villa, you’d offer them it all upfront for a discounted fee.  Man Utd typically pay up front to do just that.

Probably saving ourselves the best part of £1m a year in wages over the rest of his contract.  That will be factored into this seasons budget (not just transfer spend / net spend - which no-one other than the media use these days) and if you can bring someone in for half his wages, it looks a better deal.

I don’t think City would want to publicise the initial fee, for fear of other clubs thinking we’ve got loads of cash.  Would suit Boro to say they’ve got a bargain too.  All fun and games. 

Thanks, enlightening stuff. Fans do tend to focus on transfer fees and ignore wages, not to mention agents' fees, particularly when they are demanding we sign so called big name players.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Well we sure won't become one without it.

And there lies the problem . The belief that from this moment and going forward...this club can only progress with Bristol Sport and Lansdown 

We would be an attractive option for many decent investors

When I look at clubs like Bournemouth...it breaks my heart 

36 minutes ago, Back of the net said:

Boro could be flogging Ben Gibson so I think they’re in for a shock if they think Flint will come in and replace him. 

For all the negatives about selling to a divisional rival if we get the recruitment right we could end up with a stronger team and Boro with a weaker one. 

Our track record on signings isn’t great recently so we’re due a diamond! 

"If we get the recruitment right"

We are talking about Lee Johnson and Mark Ashton. The guys who bought is Kent, Walsh and Diony 

Archived